about that plan of attack…

by Janetha on August 7, 2011

in random rambles

last sunday, i made a plan. i was feeling all sorts of out of control and plans make me stable.

making a plan is only  half the battle. time to ‘fess up and see how i did! my post-plan notes are in red.

daily to-dos.

• drink 1 gallon of agua each day yep!
  • remember to take vitamins + supplements morning & afternoon yep!
  • go to be before midnight nope! at least 3 of the nights last week i stayed up past midnight.
  • stick to meals & moves plan [below] for the most part.. see my notes.

you better get it done this week.

• mail out TGFA winner’s package nope! i promise—tomorrow i am. i had trouble rounding everything up Sad smile
  • clean the bathrooms yep!
  • get car detailed nope! i need to. it’s so dirty and it’s giving me anxiety.
  • organize the heap of papers on top of the washer yep!
  • fold the pile of clean clothes that is the size of mt everest yep!
  • buy dad a birthday present yep!
  • get at least 2 product reviews done for the blog uhmm.. no. i don’t think i even did one…

detailed meals & moves for the week.

monday.

meals:

• breakfast: egg whites & oatmeal yep!
  • lunch: sandwich [low sodium turkey, sprouts, hummus] + celery w/ PB yep!
  • snack: chobani yep! plus granola
  • dinner: tacos yep!
  • dessert: faux frosty nope! we went and got fro yo.

moves:

• lower body + stairmill yep to lower body, nope to stairmill.

tuesday.

meals:

• breakfast: berry + spinach protein shake yep!
  • lunch: leftover tacos [salad style] yep!
  • snack: crackers + cottage cheese nope! i had a simply bar instead.
  • dinner: BBQ chicken pizza yep!
  • dessert: greek yogurt + fruit nope! i had cereal.

moves:

• bikram nope! cardio on the treadmill and some stairmill instead.

wednesday.

meals:

• breakfast: berry + spinach protein shake yep!
  • lunch: veggie-filled salad topped with grilled chicken nope! turkey sandwich and celery w/ PB.
  • snack: chobani nope! faux frosty with granola.
  • dinner: salmon + broccoli + quinoa pilaf yep! except swap the quinoa out and put roasted potatoes instead.
  • dessert: faux frosty nope! protein ice cream.

moves:

• back + shoulders yep!

thursday.

meals:

• breakfast: protein oats nope! peach protein shake.
  • lunch: sandwich [low sodium turkey, sprouts, hummus] + celery w/ PB yep!
  • snack: simply bar yep!
  • dinner: greek salads + roasted potatoes yep! except swap the potatoes out and add couscous.
  • dessert: protein ice cream nope! glass of chocolate milk.

moves:

• biceps + triceps.. maybe some cardio yep! well, only 10 min of cardio.

friday.

meals:

• breakfast: berry + spinach protein shake yep!
  • lunch: tuna sandwich + veggies w/ hummus nope! leftover greek salad+couscous. yum.
  • snack: chobani nope! bagel thin.
  • dinner: black bean burgers + sweet potato fries nope! had a post-workout protein shake then went to sage’s
  • dessert: faux frosty nope! a few bites of marshall’s peanut butter brownie sundae at sage’s. had a bowl of cereal at 2 AM when i got home.

moves:

• chest + back.. probably should think about doing cardio nope! i did lower body—rode my bike to and from the gym.

saturday.

meals:

• breakfast: protein pancakes nope! omelet at carlucci’s.
  • lunch: BBQ chicken wrap nope! didn’t have lunch—it was a late brunch. but i did have a post-workout protein shake.
  • dinner: out to eat nope! had a bbq at kristen’s—we had snapper, pasta salad, wheatberry salad, veggies, hummus, chips and salsa.
  • dessert: fro yo yep!

moves:

• lower body + stairmill nope! chest +shoulders plus a 10 minute run—also rode my bike to and from the gym.

sunday.

plan it all over again! yep! that’s what i am doing right now!

no workout today. i went to ruth’s diner for brunch and had a tomato, basil + feta frittata, half a grapefruit and a huge buttermilk biscuit. i ate a kind bar while i cleaned and drank an izze soda for a review i am going to do. dinner tonight is pasta. i am going to make dough balls.

so as you can see, i didn’t stick EXACTLY to my plan. no big deal. i made the plan knowing that it would change. the main reason i planned all my meals out was so i knew i would have the ingredients for all those meals on hand, then i could switch them up as my mood changed.

i love the saying “if you fail to plan, you plan to fail.”  i made a plan, made sure i had lots of healthy food options in my house and at work, had a good idea of what workouts i would do.. and look, i did pretty good last week!

sure, i ate out three times instead of one and i ate fro yo twice as many times as i had planned.. but who cares? i worked out 7 days in a row and i conquered my messy house.

it is more important to feel good about the things you DID achieve than to feel bad about the things you let slide.

promise.

more later!

i am off to the stores to do my weekly shopping. remember, you have until tomorrow to enter the granola giveaway.

Q~

once you make a plan, how good are you at following it? how often do you check in to make sure you are following it?

Meg August 7, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I’m kind of bad at following my plans, but I think I’m getting better! I think it’s important not to have an “all or nothing” attitude, I just keep trying until I get it right! One thing I am getting better at is planning meals ahead… because I’ve noticed if I just make it, the hubbs eats it. ;)

Janetha August 8, 2011 at 12:37 am

Dude I know! I have come to realize I don’t need to ask Marshall what to make for dinner–I just make what I want and he eats it!

Also the importance to NOT have an all or nothing attitude is so true! You said it!

Love your face.

Corey @ Learning Patience August 7, 2011 at 7:35 pm

I’m a super plan-aholic…. I love planning but it’s almost to a fault – when my plan doesn’t go as scheduled…i tend to get a bit…um…frustrated!
A gallon of H2O daily–OMG..i would be having potty breaks every ten seconds! xoxo from Trinidad

Janetha August 8, 2011 at 12:38 am

Surprisingly, I don’t really pee a lot. I think I have a heeee-uge bladder haha

Lauren August 7, 2011 at 7:41 pm

I’d say you did a fantastic job with the plan. It’s almost impossible to stick to a lengthly plan 100% because, well life isn’t 100% predictable. But I also think how we are able to handle the change in plan is what makes us stronger human beings as well. You continue to rock my world darling!

Heather (Where's the Beach) August 7, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Love this b/c it’s reality. Although, I’m fairly consistent with workout plans, I always have a plan a and b and that’s that, on the calendar, get it done. I’ve been trying to be better about being flexible with other things though. Sometimes over planning can be worse than no plan.

Becca August 7, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I went to Ruths Diner for brunch too and got the exact same thing! I love your blog!

Janetha August 8, 2011 at 12:39 am

Get out?! That is too funny. I wonder if we were there at the same time? I am so happy that we got the same thing. Wasn’t it delicious?!

Carrie@shrinkingcarriewww August 7, 2011 at 7:50 pm

I make a goal list on my blog every Sunday, and it helps me stay focused. Then I re-cap the next week. Making goals and lists keep me sane.

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats August 7, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Awesome job lady! :) I am pretty good about following workout plans but my eating plans don’t always go as well. I like to eat what I’m craving not necessarily what I planned.

lindsay August 7, 2011 at 8:18 pm

i always aim for 80%. Looks like you got around 80% of it done. Not too shabby and if you did end up getting it all done, then you’d have nothing to write about!
xxoo

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 7, 2011 at 8:20 pm

I make plans in my head all day, every day. Some days and times it’s easier to stick to them, others, not so much. I just do the best I can and not stress if things dont happen to plan..and rarely do they…ha!

elise August 7, 2011 at 8:23 pm

i love plans. they make me all calm inside. you stuck to yours SO well im really impressed. now about that car detail…

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List August 7, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Your organization is kinda turning me on.

Janetha August 8, 2011 at 12:39 am

I did it all for you.

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List August 8, 2011 at 11:03 am

makin’ me blush ;)

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List August 8, 2011 at 4:46 pm

btdubb…this has your name written ALL over it! (aside from the Voskos brand)

McIntosh August 7, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Okay…your organizational abilities and productivity are awe-inspiring not to mention your memory for some of those things. Geez…almost scarily intimidating (:

I’m kind of back and forth on lists…love/hate….because once I make it I feel obligated to follow it entirely which either makes me anxious or I end up doing all of it at once (thankfully this doesn’t apply to meals) so I can just cross them off. Mine are usually chores/errands.

No meal lists because I always decide at the moment what I am hungry for so a plan is pointless.

Oh and I write lists on my hand so I can always look at it, never lose it and wipe off items as I finish them…yeah I use spit (; I call it “The Original Palm Pilot”

Janetha August 8, 2011 at 12:40 am

haha YES the original palm pilot, i love it!

Erica August 7, 2011 at 9:11 pm

That was one heck of a plan and I think you did awesome!! I’m a huge planner. I mostly stick to my plans but make exceptions when fun/life calls (hello baby!) Brunch sounds awesome

cathy August 7, 2011 at 9:18 pm

you had a lot of “yeps” in there, j! i’d say the plan was a success, overall!
i am very happy to see the bowls of cereal in there! :)
the shorter the time frame, the more i stick to the plan. ie: a day’s to do list, written in the morning, will get done. a week’s schedule will have variations.
since i like writing plans so much, i don’t mind when i need to write a rewrite!
i’d have skipped getting the car detailed, too – icky task.

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) August 7, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Plans? What plans?

You rocked it. Shit, did you work out 7 days in a row? Wow. Go JB.

I was thrilled with my bad self for forcing myself to work out despite lack of sleep thanks to Captain Urethra & Ellie. These days every other day is fabulous- I used to be like you: 6-7 days a week. Oh well. I’ve gotten a lot better at lowering the bar and it certainly reduces my stress levels!

Love you!

Stephanie @ extremebalance.net/blog August 7, 2011 at 9:43 pm

holy god. I *did* just read the words “Captain Urethra” here. Mmhm. :D

Janetha August 8, 2011 at 12:41 am

I am proud of you for lowering the bar. That was for sure something you needed in your life! I needed to up the bar, because my laziness was BAD. I love you and cannot wait to see you. I am hoping Ace is coming around? Shoot me a note so we can go back and forth when we have time this week :)

Stephanie @ extremebalance.net/blog August 7, 2011 at 9:42 pm

I don’t usually plan my meals, because I like to see what I feel like. However, I think I’m all over the map and I’d like to get a handle on it so this week, I will channel my inner Janetha and rock a menu plan.

I think you did pretty great, all in all. Is that, like, 80% success? Looks it. and that’s an A- on my university’s scale… which translates to “excellent”. So there. :D

Paige @ Running Around Normal August 7, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Wow. I am impressed! You had a gazillion plans and a gazillion goals and checked so many of them off! I cannot believe you planned your meals and snacks down to that level of detail and – for the most part – followed them!! Seriously, I’m impressed, girl!

'Dee August 7, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Considering that I can be prone to failure, I typically “check in” with how I’m doing on my plan every day!

Case in point: My plan this past week was to work out every day that I was on the road for work (Tues/Wed/Thur). So on Tuesday, I head to the suitcase and pull out my shorts, shirt, socks, running shoes, and iPod. What’s missing, you ask?

SPORTS BRA.

Yeah, that wasn’t gonna go down like that.

So I didn’t work out until I got back home and I have been making up for it so bad that I’m walking a little funny tonight :-)

Feast or famine with me!

Janetha August 8, 2011 at 12:42 am

Ugh I have forgotten that before. Also, once, my shoes. What the…

Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories August 7, 2011 at 10:00 pm

“it is more important to feel good about the things you DID achieve than to feel bad about the things you let slide”–love this!

I think having a plan is always a good thing, especially for those of us who are rather type A. Even if you don’t follow it precisely, it’s nice to feel like you have a handle on things.

Carbzilla August 7, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Thanks for the reminder to get back on plan. I did ok during the week but went off the rails this weekend in Portland. I don’t even know how many Weight Watchers points are in a Mushroom Gruyere pot pie! I did allow my new work to buy me a new gym membership so I’ll be doing weights during my lunch break. Wasn’t that nice of them?

Speaking of dough balls, guess who gets to see our own MP tomorrow? :)

Janetha August 8, 2011 at 12:43 am

jealous! you guys give each other a hug from me and pretend i am there :) also, that is awesome of your new work! i want to hear about your job!!

J August 7, 2011 at 10:08 pm

I make plans, to do lists, mental notes … I am great at following almost every plan … work to do’s – A+, home organization plans – A, workout plans – lately C-, and healthy eating plans – Not rated … :)

However, you kind of made me think I should rethink my plans for this week … shooting for a better grade over all …

Have a great week!

Janetha August 8, 2011 at 12:43 am

haha i love the not rated!

Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well. August 7, 2011 at 10:15 pm

I am the exact same way!! When I start to get overwhelmed or feel out of control, I start making a plan! I have so many to-do lists, it’s scary! I’m sort of okay about sticking to my plans or lists. I tend to be like you did, I’ll switch out a different workout or a different meal based on what else pops up during the week.

BroccoliHut August 7, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Once I make a plan, I’m pretty good at following it…almost to a fault. The real trick for me is taking the time to make the plan in the first place though!

Maria August 8, 2011 at 12:26 am

Hey! I just found your blog and I love it! but I am very curious of what a faux frosty is? If you have time I would love the details!! Thanks

Janetha August 8, 2011 at 12:36 am

Hi Maria! Thanks for stopping by and reading!
I make a protein shake that honestly tastes JUST like a Wendy’s frosty. I have a few variations I have made.. here are some links:

enjoy!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) August 8, 2011 at 12:30 am

I love making plans when I feel myself getting off track! I really need to work on getting to bed earlier. I’m usually in bed by 11, but I don’t fall asleep til past midnight :/

MelissaNibbles August 8, 2011 at 5:12 am

I never stick to my plans. That’s why I stopped making them. I actually do things more when I don’t plan it. Like, I’ll just go in my bathroom and be like,”This is a mess. I’ll clean it now.” If I plan to clean it, I start making excuses.

Miz August 8, 2011 at 5:43 am

Im in total awe of your plan.
And i need me a plan.
Now that the child is starting school and my life is a wee bit more my own I shall follow in your well thought out and laid out plan-steps :)

PBJenny August 8, 2011 at 9:00 am

get it girl! to be honest, I’d be a little worried if you followed through 100% with the plan. Where’s the fun in that? rules are made to be broken.. especially our own :)

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood August 8, 2011 at 10:32 am

I think that your plan was more in-depth and realistic than my plans ever were… Having that said, not all plans were made to be followed 100%. Otherwise, where would be the fun in that? ;)

Nicole C August 8, 2011 at 11:30 am

In college I had a plan of every class I had to take and wrote the grade next to it each time I finished the class. It was an amazing accomplishment at the end to see how far I had come.

I make a yearly bucket list with 5 things on it, it’s a good way to do things for myself. Now, I have some life changing plans to lay out, hopefully it goes smoothly.

CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ August 8, 2011 at 11:48 am

I am such a planner! Too much sometimes which is what I’m trying to work on! I really enjoy reading your posts. You seem so balanced and full of life! I look forward to reading more :-)

Jackie @ That Deep Breath August 8, 2011 at 1:02 pm

I’m a total planner! Sometimes I don’t stick to the plan, but that’s ok…I cn live with that!

debbie@accidentlydelish August 8, 2011 at 1:41 pm

i really envy you for making such a detailed list and you did very well sticking to it. i do not plan. i wish i could plan my meals, but my cravings always seem to change. i’ll find a fabulous recipe, plan it all out, go buy the ingredients, and sometimes end up never making it. so again kudos to you for being able to follow your plan!

it’s totally ok to not follow it 100% and everyone needs to indulge in a little fro yo here and there. i am a firm believer that if you don’t enjoy and indulge once in awhile, whats the fun? ♥

the delicate place August 8, 2011 at 2:43 pm

once i make a plan, i stick to it pretty hardcore however, sometimes life gets in the way and you need to re-adjust and be flexible. i’ve learned to just go with the flow the last couple years especially after the celiac diagnoses. it makes you open your mind and get creative! good luck making the plans this week :)

Hayley. (@healthyhayley) August 8, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I am glad to see that I am not the only one who doesn’t stick to the plans! :)

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather August 8, 2011 at 5:18 pm

You did great with your plan! I feel like even when I make a plan there should always be some wiggle room. Cause I like to wiggle :p

Jessica Corbin August 8, 2011 at 6:48 pm

I made a plan the end of July to have NO alcohol for August. So far so good, it is day 7. It was tough the first few days, but now if I think about having a sip of something I get mad at the thought.

I hold myself accountable by keeping a journal, nothing major, but I know what I want and when I am determined, it happens!

Pure2raw twins August 8, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Michelle and I are always making a plan! And our plans change a lot! We try to do our best to stick to our plans. our list of things to do and get done, but sometimes life gets in the way and something unexpected happens. And our plan has to change a little. But yes remembering the things WE DID Do is important! We feel good when we cross things off our list. And having good clean eats in the house helps too with staying on track, but we are not perfect like today we had chocolate chip cookies all morning — and enjoyed every bite :)
xo
~Lori

Jen August 8, 2011 at 9:51 pm

I love this list!!! I think this would be something I would commit to!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn August 8, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Thazzit. I’M MAKING A PLAN.

Susan August 9, 2011 at 9:41 am

So proud you folded your clothes. Now come do mine? xoxo