weekend warrior.

by Janetha on August 6, 2011

in eating out,love life

hola!

how is your weekend shaping up? mine’s good so far! we have been on the go, go, go and now i wanna stop to talk about it before going some more!

last night i rode my bike to the gym, had an intense 60 minute lower body and ab workout sesh, rode my bike home and was starrrrrving.

i had a post-workout recovery cocktail—2 cups water, 1 scoop of EAS muscle armor, 1 scoop of syntrax roadside lemonade protein isolate and some ice.. all blended together. i used EAS mucle armor post-workout back in my BFL days with great results, so i am going to start using it again.

i cleaned up and headed to sage’s café with marshall & dave.  sage’s is a vegetarian/vegan restaurant in salt lake city. i have been to their sister restaurant, vertical diner, several times.. but i had never eaten at sages. yay for new-to-me restaurants! sage’s has won best vegetarian restaurant in SLC for eight years in a row.

the interior of the café, located on the corner of 500 east and broadway (downtown), was cute and quaint with unique art scattering the walls.

IMG_1722IMG_1720

dave ordered the carrot butter appetizer. carrot butter is a smooth mixture of carrots, macadamia nuts and a hint of maple syrup. it came with delicious, seedy bread.

for my entrée, i went with the dinner special, which was peanut curry stuffed local squash with portabella mushroom, brown rice and an array of chefs local garden greens including baby kale and sunflower sprouts.

words cannot describe how delicious this pile of perfection was.

marshall had the basil pesto pasta and dave had the mushrooms stroganoff. they both really liked their dishes.

for dessert, marshall ordered the warm brownie sundae which was topped with vegan ice cream and loads of melty peanut butter.

i couldn’t resist stealing a few bites.. and yes, it tasted even better than it looks.

thanks for a great meal, sage’s, we will be back!

***********************************************************************

we went to the farmer’s market today! we missed it last week, so it was nice to be able to go today.

it is getting later in the season and our favorite melon stand still is absent from the market. i can’t wait for them to make an appearance at the market– i wonder where they are?! i also CANNOT WAIT for peaches. my favorite.

we meandered through the market, picking up a few produce items and snapping photos of everything along the way.

IMG_1793IMG_1746IMG_1754IMG_1755IMG_1758IMG_1760IMG_1761IMG_1762IMG_1765IMG_1790

we picked up corn, cucumbers, heirloom tomatoes and three things we ALWAYS get at the downtown farmers market: dried cherries, homemade jam and fresh whole wheat noodles.

IMG_1748IMG_1752IMG_1764IMG_1785IMG_1787

if you make it to the market, promise me you will quench your thirst with some of the fresh lijmeade. they squeeze the juice right in front of your face.  there is mint or raspberry—both are FANTASTIC.

IMG_1776IMG_1774IMG_1781

after the market, marshall and i were both hungry. he went the waffles & fries route at bruges.. yumm..

but since i don’t have the ability to eat 300 grams of carbs and zero protein for brunch (without doubling in size), i headed over to carlucci’s bakery and ordered an egg white omelet.

i gawked over all the delectable pastries while waiting for my omelet.. namely the various shortbreads and the fruit tarts.

IMG_1811IMG_1813IMG_1806

the omelet was full of tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms and cheddar. it came with roasted potatoes and nine grain toast.

IMG_1818IMG_1821

mmm. cheesy.

after brunch, we ran a few errands. we had to snag some bike parts and i picked up a special order item (they were a birthday gift from marshall but we had to order my size–i have tiny feet), which i am about to go try out for the first time…

i would be lying if i said i wasn’t a wee bit nervous.

yikes. i will let you know how it goes.

enjoy your weekend!

The Delicate Place August 6, 2011 at 4:29 pm

!!! i am so glad you bought them! i’ve had my vff sprints for a year and LOVE them. i do all of my bodyrock exercises, & stationary biking in them. i kickbox completely barefoot and my feet have the strength to stand up to an hour of kicking/sprinting and jumping because of them. i don’t mean to get all this is a totally religious experience but holy crap the freedom from shoes is amazing. i hope you love them as much as i do!

Janetha August 8, 2011 at 1:02 am

That’s so cool! I read your comment to Marshall, actually.. I am stoked to have stronger feet!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn August 6, 2011 at 4:30 pm

I want vibrams so. Bad. They’re beautifulll and so is the farmers market!! I would kill for that sundae…like actually I am needing a chocolate IV right now.

Emily August 6, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Hey mama! Dang, I had a lot to catch up on your blog. Um, I heard melons and berries were like 30 days behind in their growing season. Wtf weather? I have been wanting to try Carlucci’s, but now that downtown isn’t my hood anymore, I will have to make a special trip. ANd good luck with the Vibrams–I can’t WAIT to see how that goes for you. I know things are busy, but we should get together soon. xoxo

Janetha August 8, 2011 at 1:03 am

Hi! I miss you! I have been crazy busy and I am sure you have been to–um, new job? I need details! Carlucci’s was SO good, you gotta try it. I don’t think I have time before Philly to get together.. but after FOR SURE! Love you!

jessiker August 6, 2011 at 4:33 pm

I want some blackberry shortbread, right now.

Janetha August 8, 2011 at 1:04 am

Ever since your shower, all i want is shortbread.

debbie@accidentlydelish August 6, 2011 at 4:45 pm

the farmers market pictures are great! My fiance has a pair of vibrams and i have been teetering on if i want to get a pair or not. he loves his. got blisters in the beginning, but we also had gone on a 6 mile hike and it was his first time wearing them. not a good idea. my advice is to ease into them. i think you’ll love them!

Kristina @ spabettie August 6, 2011 at 4:49 pm

YAY vibrams! have fun, start out slow! :)

we went to the farmers market this morning too, and I saw peaches for the first time – YUM. they were huge!

Janetha August 8, 2011 at 1:05 am

lucky! i am hoping for peaches next week.

Megan (Running Foodie) August 6, 2011 at 5:03 pm

YAY vibrams! You will love them :)

Allison @ Food for Healing August 6, 2011 at 5:10 pm

I am up to 2 pairs of VFF already, i’ve already scouted out the next pair or two I want! you will LOVE them (i hope)

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List August 6, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Do you ever wear them on the treadmill? Or other gym cardio equipment?

Allison @ Food for Healing August 6, 2011 at 5:18 pm

i wear them all the time at the gym, I don’t wear my running shoes anymore (except during spin class or biking because the petals are pointy and would bother my feet). but i wear them for strength training, cardio machines, tennis. I have the KSO’s for working out, and the Classics for everyday casual wear

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List August 6, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Thanks, Allison! Very informative!

lindsay August 6, 2011 at 5:11 pm

carrot butter? I need to make this at home. DANG! sounds like a great weekend out and about JG. Enjoy it all!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List August 6, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Vibrams have been on my wish list for QUITE some time now. I just don’t know how they’d do running. And would you wear them to the gym? Or just outside?

Leah August 7, 2011 at 9:20 am

I only use mine for running and hiking and I love them. You can get different kinds for different activities, but they were essentially crafted to allow your feet to run naturally–i.e. striking on the forefoot or midfoot where your arch can absorb the shock, not your heel (which is what cushiony regular shoes are designed to do–bad bad bad for your joints). So you are actually *supposed* to run in them–my knee twinges and hip problems have disappeared with them.
But ditto what Debbie said–ease into them. It took me awhile to adjust to my new stride but now I don’t wear anything else. Plus they pack down to nothin’ when you travel!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List August 7, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Thanks, Leah! I’m definitely gonna have to get some now!

Janetha August 8, 2011 at 1:08 am

looks like your Qs are covered (thanks leah and allison up there!) but I plan to wear them to the gym all the time (running and weights) –I have always wanted to have them for lower body days since you are supposed to do squats barefoot but I can’t bring myself to doing that at the public gym.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey August 6, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Love all the pictures from the market! I should have gone to my farmers market today but I forgot about it since I”m not going grocery shopping until tomorrow!

julie August 6, 2011 at 5:30 pm

scooooooooba steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeve!!!

katie August 6, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Damn the good stuff in this post! The DESSERT, The WAFFLE options, and the PASTRIES!!!!!!

Hope you have a great weekend! Love you!!!!!

Kristi @ Sweet Cheeks August 6, 2011 at 5:38 pm

can’t wait to hear what your thoughts are on the vibrams. they look so comfy!

Erica August 6, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Sage looks incredible! You made a fabulous dinner selection- YUMMMM! And the dessert? drool! Farmers market pictures are always so pretty- I need to get back to ours before its over! Can’t wait to hear how you like the new “shoes!”

Elizabeth @ reads recipes runs August 6, 2011 at 5:42 pm

We went to the farmers market today too! We’ve been trying to get there early since it always gets soooo busy. I’ve been looking for a good vegetarian place to try since moving to SLC, Sage’s looks awesome!

I can’t wait to hear what you think about the shoes, people seem to be either totally in love, or totally hate.

Janetha August 8, 2011 at 1:09 am

You should also try:
House of Tibet
Evergreen
Vertical Diner
Long Life Veggie House

Elizabeth @ reads recipes runs August 8, 2011 at 10:18 am

Thanks for the suggestions! I am excited to get eating :)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) August 6, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Eee those shoes freak me out but lots of people swear by them. I wonder what will happen in 2-5 yrs- if there will be an increase in foot or knee or hip problems? Time will tell.

I’m an EXPERT pasty-gawker and egg white omelet eater. IT’s actually my specialty.

I didn’t read the question and it’ll take me forever to scroll back up, but I’m guessing you asked what we are up to this weekend and the answer is ‘sitting on my ass’ and ‘doing laundry’ and ‘blogging (!?!!!)’ and ‘computer stuff’ followed by ‘feeling guilty for sitting on my ass’ and then tomorrow Derek is taking Loulou for a motorcycle ride while Eden and I whip up smoothies for a job she has writing recipes for a personal trainer. Hope that was the question or else I just shared inappropriately.

Love you.

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) August 6, 2011 at 5:55 pm

haha you didn’t ask a question!

Eden August 6, 2011 at 9:14 pm

I know, Im stoked cause I dont have to feel like a rebel by not answering it!

Janetha August 8, 2011 at 1:10 am

HAHAHAHAHAHA i love that you answered a fake one!

Susan August 6, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Happy Saturday love! It was a farmer’s market day for me too. I think the one caveat of buying local is sometimes they don’t have what you want. Case in point: your melon. For me it’s eggplant. I can only seem to get it in Pittsburgh! Random!

I think those shoes are so cool! I know Abby from Abby Normally is a fan of them. I’m not a runner myself, but I would buy those things just to have them in my closet.

Love to love youuuuuuu.

The Delicate Place August 6, 2011 at 6:35 pm

are you a pittsburgher? ever been to garfield farms? salt chef did a demo there today!

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats August 6, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Yes! I love my Vibrams! :) I have only ran in them a couple of times but I love wearing them just to run around town and do errands!

Errign August 6, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Have fun with your new Vibrams! I want a pair, just to try them, but unfortunately, they’re too expensive for that. I think they look goofy, but the idea behind them is totally sweet, hence my wanting.

Looove farmer’s markets and hate omelets, but yours looks so good I want to have one for dinner, haha. I guess I will just settle for a pile of melted peanut butter over ice cream, :)

Lindy August 6, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I can’t wait to hear what you think of the Vibrams…I have been wanting them for a long time as well. I have “problem” feet and need orthotics in my shoes at ALL TIMES, so I was hoping maybe if I got some Vibrams, I could get rid of the Orthotics, but I’m scared.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 6, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Have fun with the Vibrams. I have never tried them but am tempted!

I am loving the farmers market and produce pics!

cathy August 6, 2011 at 9:06 pm

enjoy the vibrams! i have that exact pair! love ’em!
start ez and start slow…my two cents worth.
love the market shots!
we had a beauty of a day here, too! don’tcha just LOVE summer!!!

Missy August 6, 2011 at 9:06 pm

I love my Vibrams! I have had mine (classic) about 3 years. I love being barefoot so they are a dream.
I am so jealous over that Farmers Market! Basil for 2 bucks? I am sold!
We bought peaches today and I thought of you! Of course I Instagrammed it ;)
Your whole post today is gaw-jus!

Eden August 6, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Those shoes freak me out. Call my old fashioned, but I like my nike. But knock yourself out with those. All the cool kids are sporting them.

I’m sure that Sundae was delicious, but I’m not gonna lie, it looks like brains. Its not you, its the restaurant lighting.

Oh, and I love you and give momma b a hug for me.

Janetha August 8, 2011 at 1:11 am

Old fashioned Eden.

Eden August 8, 2011 at 1:14 am

Yea, me, prune juice, and my AARP membership!

Pure2raw twins August 6, 2011 at 9:53 pm

we went to the farmers market this morning too, and got ourselves some figs and peaches ;) yum and eggs and a few vegetables! And yay for Vibrams! We got ours a little ways back and slowly getting used to them. We wear them for our workouts now, we started off doing it every other day, slowly our feet are getting used to them. We think you will love them!
xoxo
Twins

Janetha August 8, 2011 at 1:11 am

I saw your cute IG pics from going to the market! Yay!

Corey @ Learning Patience August 6, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Wow – i am Farmer Market Dreaming Right Now!! Never realized how blessed I was to just hop on over to several FM’s whenever I wanted – seriously…visited 4 grocery stores today – just to find zucchini – xoxo from Trinidad

Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well. August 6, 2011 at 10:47 pm

That farmer’s market looks amazing! Can’t wait to hear about your experience with the Vibram’s!

Paige @ Running Around Normal August 6, 2011 at 11:01 pm

That sundae looks to die for!! Good luck with the Vibrams! I’ve never tried them out, but am looking for a good shoe to lift in, and have had heard good things about them for that! What type of exercise are you planning to use them for?

Janetha August 8, 2011 at 1:12 am

For running and for weight training–excited to do squats with them! But probably not for going to the mall. Or work. They aren’t exactly business casual.

elise August 6, 2011 at 11:18 pm

vibrams!! i cant wait to hear how you like them and what you think. ive been so curious but i dont think theyd be good my neck and back issues. still, please review!!

Bonnie August 6, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Your plate at dinner looked SO good – such great ingredients and tasty combinations! I love good food all on a plate mixed together like that. And Vibrams? Yes…love mine! I’m sure you’ve read enough about them to know to ease into them, but once your legs and feet are accustomed to them, you’re golden and it’s a whole new experience! Have fun with them. :D Happy Saturday night!

Tamizn August 7, 2011 at 3:26 am

Jealous I have my eye on some vibrams! x x

Aine @ Something to Chew Over August 7, 2011 at 6:23 am

Looks like you’re having a great weekend! I wish I had a farmers’ market near me.

Enjoy your Sunday! :)

Alta August 7, 2011 at 7:23 am

It’s funny to me how seasons are so different depending where you are in the country. I’m in north Texas and we are just about done with melon season (of course that’s partly to blame on the nearly 40 days in a row of 100+degree temps we have had) and your melon stand hasn’t even shown up yet.
As for those vibrams, I’m anxiously awaiting your review! I want to get some so bad. I already do most of my workouts barefoot (for some reason, even doing plyometrics is more comfortable without shoes) so I think I’d love them but I’m all worried that somehow they’d feel weird or whatever. So keep us informed!

PBJenny August 7, 2011 at 9:39 am

sorry, love, I really should leave a nice profound comment about how amazeballs your weekend looks, but I can’t think about anything other than that sundae.

oh my gaaaaaaaaaaaaaawdz

Andrea@WellnessNotes August 7, 2011 at 10:29 am

Love the Farmers’ Market pics! We are going today. Definitely one of my favorite parts of the weekend!!!

Good luck with the Vibrams!

MelissaNibbles August 7, 2011 at 5:22 pm

The carrot butter sounds interesting. I’d love to try it. Looks like a cool restaurant!

Kelly Olexa August 7, 2011 at 6:19 pm

All of those fresh veggies look amazing….and I’m on a flight right now, almost home to Chicago and SOOO hungry! OY!! ;-) Anxious to hear how you like your Vibrams….I hear most people LOVE THEM. ;-)

Stephanie @ extremebalance.net/blog August 7, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Is it wrong if I say that Marshall’s Sage’s dessert LOOKS LIKE BRAINS? :D

Luckily, those happy, sun-shaped (to me, anyway!) tarts totally block the image out…

Vibrams are a bit weird for me, but I’m going in the direction of Nike Free Runs soon, after only 9 months of thinking about it. ;) Looking forward to the review!

Janetha August 8, 2011 at 1:13 am

Haha you are the second one to say that–I scrolled up and you are SO right. Brains all the way. Thank goodness it didn’t taste like brains!

Elaine August 8, 2011 at 2:13 am

Looks like a fun-filled weekend! I have a friend who just got her Vibrams and she says they’re super comfy once you get used to the toe-separators and great to run in. Just wanted to add that I thought the dessert looked like brains too ;) Then I read what it actually was and thought it sounded fantasmic.

Amanda August 8, 2011 at 11:39 am

Man, I wished the area of California we lived in had good vegan places. Or even just health-conscious places! I feel like that doesn’t exist unless we drive out to L.A. Annoying!

Also that Farmer’s Market. I want to go!

Also what is the muscle armor?

Cassy August 8, 2011 at 12:12 pm

love, love, LOVE my Vibrams! Have had them for 1.5 years and have never looked back. Actually have never even worn regular sneakers since!!

Laura August 8, 2011 at 4:44 pm

I have been missing the farmer’s market the last few weeks…it’s in my plans for this Saturday though! I love seeing the restaurant reviews, they give me good ideas of new places to try, esp downtown restaurants ’cause they are super close. Looks like a fun Saturday!

Jon @EAS August 9, 2011 at 10:52 am

Looks like you had a great weekend! We’re happy to hear your like EAS! Do you use any other products? ~Jon @EAS

janetha @ meals & moves August 9, 2011 at 11:51 am

Hi Jon! I used to use ThermoDynamx back before it was discontinued. I also used to use the EAS Premium Protein (the triple blend) in vanilla but I can’t seem to find it anywhere anymore! It was my favorite! The 100% whey just doesn’t blend as well as the triple threat of the premium. I ate the Myoplex bars during my Body for LIFE challenge but haven’t had them in years. I love EAS, though! I am also friends with Emily Alvers–who I am sure you know! Thanks for swinging by. If you would ever like me to do a review or giveaway for you guys, let me know. I would be happy to!

Jon @EAS August 15, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Janetha, thanks for the EAS love! We’d love to send you some product to try. Send us a note at http://eas.com/contact-us with your shipping address. And feel free to give us a call about mixing tips and products availability at 1-800-297-9776, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm EST. ~Jon @EAS