what have i gotten myself into?

by Janetha on August 2, 2011

in meals,moves

today was much better than yesterday.

i woke up on time.

i showered—always a plus.

i even had time to make my lunch and coffee!

work was work, nothing new there. however, i did catch a live broadcast of mama pea on the radio—that was a plus. oh, and i had an impromptu date with my own momma b at the harley davidson store.  word on the street is that tomorrow is my dad’s 60th birthday, so i had to snag him a couple gifts.

i had bikram yoga on the agenda for my workout today, but my 1 month unlimited pass has expired. i checked the drop-in class rates.. $15. um, that’s $0.17 per minute. a little pricey, if you ask me. i could call australia for less money!

i decided to forego the pricey sweat session and headed to the gym to make one up on my own. my gold’s gym pass is paid in full through july of 2013… i think i am covered!

i really wanted to do a back/bicep workout today, but i knew i should probably hit the treadmill. ugh.. cardio.

if you haven’t noticed, there hasn’t been a whole lot of cardio around these parts lately. i think that whole 2 1/2 months of solid cardio from insanity really burned me out.

in fact, before today, the numbers were looking like this:

days since i finished insanity: 44.

days i have devoted a single workout to cardio since finishing insanity: 0.

oh. that’s just great!

i wouldn’t be to worried about my lack of cardiovascular training if it wasn’t for something that i have signed up for that happens to be right around the corner…

my best friend, kristen, somehow talked me into doing the dirty dash with her on september 17th.  even after i ranted about the fact that i don’t like running and i have no desire to ever pay for a race again. she talked me into it.. and i shelled out $45 to run around an obstacle course in some mud. joy. clearly she drugged me and i was delusional.

kristen told me that this was a 5k, and i have done a lot of 5ks in my day. no big deal. yes, i was a little worried about the fact that it’s an obstacle course in the mud.. but i figured i could manage to get through it.  it’s only a 5k, after all.

oh, but guess what nugget of information i received recently? that the dirty dash is, in fact, a 10k.

what?! a 10k?

okay, there are a lot of awesome runners in blog land, but i am NOT one of them. i hate running! a 10k to me is far. the longest distance i have ever run in my life is 10k—ONCE—back in 2009. i didn’t train for it or anything.. i went from my 20 minute HIIT treadmill sessions that were usually around 2 miles right to running the 10k, after which i decided i hated running long distances and it would never happen again.. and it hasn’t. pretty sure the longest distance i have run since then is 5 miles—and that has been rare.

so, to put it bluntly, finding out that the dirty dash is a 10k scared the shit out of me. i will not only have to run 6.2 miles.. i will have to do it in the mud. and jump over walls. and hop through tires. and who knows what else. it also made me realize i should start running, since the race is a mere 46 days away.

and that, my friends, is the long story of why i decided to do cardio today.

treadmill HIIT routine:

25 3.0 0
26 6.0 0
27 6.5 0
28 7.0 0
29 7.5 0
30 8.0 0

wow, it has been a long time since you’ve seen a cardio table on here, huh?!  this was a total of 5k—or 3.1 miles. as you can see, the first 5 minutes was a warm up, followed by 20 minutes of HIIT (BFL style), a brief cooldown and then 5 minutes of jogging to round out the 5k.

it’s still official, i still hate running. meh.

stairmill:

• 10 minutes at level 10 fat burning intervals

i was going to do 20 minutes of the stairmill, but my knees were aching so bad. had to come home and hang out with my tube of bengay.

i am going to keep running a couple/few times a week until the race. and then i am just going to hope i don’t die. good plan, right? plus, if i survive, i will have hardcore muddy photos like lisa (who is a complete mud run superhero, if you ask me).

grilled barbecue chicken pizza!

marshall is the man and grilled the barbecue-sauce marinated chicken before i even made it home from the gym. once i arrived, it was a mere 10 minutes before we were sitting down to eat the pizza.

IMG_1570IMG_1572IMG_1583IMG_1586IMG_1591IMG_1593IMG_1594IMG_1599

i am still addicted to grilled pizza. you can see my method here.  after having the barbecue chicken variety at my family pizza party the other week, i have had a major craving to have it again.

craving remedied.

paired with a spinach salad for good measure.

guess what? i had spinach in my breakfast, lunch and dinner today! pretty proud of that. too bad spinach won’t make me like running…

1. what is the longest distance you’ve ever run?

2. have you ever done a dirty dash/mud run/something like it? if not, does it sound appealing to you?

Tiffany August 3, 2011 at 11:13 am

The dirty dash sounds awesome-I can’t wait to read the recap once you do it!

Janetha August 3, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I hope I live to tell the tale!

Mama Pea August 3, 2011 at 11:56 am

So sweet that you tried to listen to me! That is why I never vacuum. ;)

Janetha August 3, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I am using that excuse from now on. Marshall is the vacuumer of the house, anyway!

Chels August 3, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Longest distance I have ever ran was about 20 miles. I have come to the realization, the longer the distance the more bored I get, and tired for the rest of my day. I really like the 10k distance personally, not too long and not to short.

Katie August 3, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Don’t be worried about the Dirty Dash! It’s not really a “race”. It’s more of a “go enjoy the fitness you have”. I did the 5K in June, and it was fun. It’s really not something you do to set a record. You go so that you can push your friends in the mud. Plus, I’m pretty sure there is a 5k “shortcut” with the 10k next month. You’ll be fine.

Oh, and seriously, take $3. They have cold (ice cold) showers that are free, but if you pay $3, you can have a warm shower.

Also, if you have old tennis shoes, you can spray them down and donate them at the end of the race (just make sure you bring something to walk back to the car in besides muddy socks – I know this from experience).

Have a BLAST!!!!!!!

the delicate place August 3, 2011 at 12:36 pm

i think you cursed me. i woke up at 812am and had to be at the bus top at 845. no shower this morning and then batman made me late to work. they closed down a section of the city i have to ride the bus through to get to work. anne hathaway was spotted looking longingly in the grains aisle at whole foods last night no joke. i got a hilarious text from my friend and nearly drove down there to meet her but i refrained.

dirty dash sounds amazing, i’d be down! the longest distance i’ve ever run was a half marathon race..when I was crazy in 2008. i hardly run EVER anymore read: 1x a month maybe?

debbie@accidentlydelish August 3, 2011 at 1:17 pm

LA had a 5k mud run and it was AMAZING. you have so much fun getting dirty and running through the mud the miles fly by.

ok my legs were killing me at the end due to an incredibly large hill at the end. but i think you will have a great time. ♥

Paige @ Running Around Normal August 3, 2011 at 1:44 pm

You’re going to have SO much fun!! I’ve been wanting to do this or the warrior dash/mudathon for a while. They look like so much fun! And I’m sure you’ll dominate it ;)

Sara August 3, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I don’t know the distance I’ve run, because my longest times were while training for soccer, and so it was more based on time than distance, but I know I ran for 90 minutes straight once, SPRINTING and jogging. It was torture, and we deserved it, because we had lost a game against a team that simply outran us. So we were punished accordingly with a 90 minute sprint/jog/sprint/jog/etc. I think I was traumatized by that. :P

The dirty dash sounds fun, but I’m not a huge fan of being quite THAT dirty. How do you get back in your car after the race?! Strip naked?? Hah.

Rose August 3, 2011 at 2:25 pm

FUCK YEAH MUD RUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Erica @ Everything's Better with Olive Oil August 3, 2011 at 3:52 pm

You will have so. much. fun. doing the Dirty Dash. I did the Warrior Dash when it came to North GA, and I had an absolute blast. Warrior Dash is only 3.2 miles or something like that, though. I admire you for taking on a 10k!!

Word of advice…if there’s barbed wire…DUCK! I saw a few guys that weren’t so careful & ended up with some nasty gashes. :/

Melissa August 3, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Pizza looks GOOD!

I love Stubb’s BBQ sauce! Have you ever been to their restaurant?

Janetha August 5, 2011 at 1:43 pm

They have a restaurant?! Where? I would love to go.

mel August 5, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Austin. It’s bbq and a live music venue. Greatness indeed

Julia August 3, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I just did a 5k+ (like 3.5 mile) mud run a few weeks ago! It was my first race ever, and it was really fun.
But, I’ll be the first to admit it was a lot harder than I expected. The energy and feel of the race was incredible, and I was really proud I did it:)

Naomi August 3, 2011 at 8:54 pm

well i am not a runner at ALL LOL I acutally really do not enjoy long distance running I get so bored and always want to do something else like plyos or sprints in the middle of my run haha…the longest I have done is a 10k with my mom YEARS ago! I made it through teh whole thing, but that was probably the last one I’ll do!

you are the grilled pizza queen! seriously want you to come over and make me some! it looks so dang tasty!!

Eleah August 3, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Ahh I want to do a mud run! They look so fun. I think you’ll be too distracted by all the obstacles to remember that you’re running. :)
26.2! Twice. Love it.

Maren August 3, 2011 at 9:11 pm

I’ve done 13.1. The first one was AMAZING. the second one was painful… You’d think I was in shape since the 2nd one was only 7 weeks after the 1st, but of course my dumb body gets injured and I am just now finally getting back into running….which now I will actually have something to blog about! I am fortunate that I only had to take two and a half months off, and not more!

Oh and that race looks like sooo much fun. If I was a millionaire, I’d fly to salt lake and run with you! ha!

Pure2raw twins August 3, 2011 at 9:24 pm

i want to do a mud type race, but a little scared

i used to love running, but no longer enjoy it. Teri asked us to do a two day race with her, but had to say no :( my body just does not like it anymore

Susan August 3, 2011 at 9:26 pm

You can do it!!!! I know you can. If there’s one thing I know, the distance of your current training program is not an indicator of the distance you can run in any given shot! 10k is a pretty standard base distance for any “fit” person (ie you) even if you’re not running it every week. Plus, I doubt time will be a factor when your clamoring through mud and tires. Maybe a few shots first will help?? Eh?? Eh?? ;)

Janetha August 8, 2011 at 1:01 am

I think I will take a flask.

BroccoliHut August 3, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I heartily approve of your use of Stubb’s BBQ:)
1. Longest distance I’ve run is 8 miles…I’d like to break into the double digits within the near future.
2. I’ve never done a dirty dash, but I think it sounds like fun!

Elina (Healthy and Sane) August 4, 2011 at 11:04 am

I haven’t run in many months and I’m totally good with it. No reason to force youself to do things that don’t make you happy. Do the race and then enjoy a running free life :)

Nicole August 4, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Girl, I totally feel you on the cardio! I’ve never really loved it, but always done it. I’m just finally trying to start running again. Now, weight lifting, I could do that all day, every day!

Katy @ notjustacarnivore August 4, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Two things.

1. Running is hell, but if there’s any way to do it, it’s by having the ability to roll around in the mud whenever you feel like it

2. LOVE Stubbs!

Barbara August 6, 2011 at 2:26 pm

That treadmill workout is brutal! Regarding your race, I don’t think you realize what an advantage and blessing this is! You can now–and for the rest of your life, use this to your advantage. Seriously, you will never have to do anything you don’t want to again! Allow me to elaborate.
” Remember that time you made me nearly die of heat and exhaustion, and IN THE MUD, in AUGUST?!!!….”!
Or say you don’t feel like doing something: “I would, but Im still recovering from that time you forced me to run through the mud, in heat-stroke inducing temperatures.” bah ha ha….. jk

Janetha August 8, 2011 at 1:01 am

Best. Comment. Ever.

Lindy August 6, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Lindy August 6, 2011 at 8:33 pm

I ran the Warrior Dash and loved every single minute of it….the end was the hardest part; getting through the thick, deep mud, ugh…..a lot of the course was ran in mud as well. I suggest you use really good sturdy shoes, nothing cute and girly if you know what I mean. The girls who wore those shoes were losing their shoes in the mud….poor girls! Don’t get me wrong getting through the mud was the toughest part but also my FAVORITE part as well. Not to mention, I never thought I could scale a 15 foot wall with just a rope – NEVER but oh my gosh, I was hooked after the race and now I want to do more of them. I hope you have a great time!

Janetha August 8, 2011 at 1:01 am

What kind of shoes would the girls wear? Like, something other than running shoes?! I plan to wear a pair of Asics that I plan to replace after the run so I can donate them to the pile. Good for you for doing the WD!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli August 13, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Ohh, good luck with the 10K…I’m sure you’ll totally rock it out! The Dirty Dash sounds a lot like the Warrior Dash only WD is a 5K. It’s coming to Tennessee next month and after seeing Lisa (I’m an Okie) do one a few months back, I am totally already there! Don’t think I’ve ever been more excited to enter into something that I know is going to kick my a$$! Haha! But at least I get a cool viking helmet and all the beer I want afterwards! ;)

I’ve recently become enamored with running. I’m sure it’ll wear off once it starts getting cold again since I loathe long distances on the treadmill, but so far the longest I’ve run is 8.5 miles. I remember how proud of myself I was when I did it too! I tend to be pretty hard on myself/have low-expectations of my abilities, but after finishing that run (after years and years of being the girl who said, “um sure, I’ll run…if somebody’s chasing me!”) I felt GREAT…and so proud of myself! I’m kinda working on getting my endurance up to 10 miles so that maybe I can take it a step further one day and run a half…but we’ll see how the 10 goes first! ;)