momma b’s travels: a harley trip.

by Janetha on July 18, 2011

in guest posts,travel

i know i told you that my mom was going to guest post all the time about all her amazing trips she takes. (you may remember her post about costa rica.)well, turns out, she is too busy traveling and has no time to type the posts!

just kidding. in reality, she is a hard working real estate agent (need a house? she’s your gal) and between work, play, eating, sleeping and working out.. it leaves little time to blog.

however, she took the time to type up a post about her most recent trip to share with you all! since i am on a road trip right now, i thought this was very appropriate.

enjoy!

*************************************************

On The Road Again……Traveling the Back Roads on a Harley!

It’s true.  After a 10 year hiatus, we have another Harley in the family – a beautiful black sleek beauty that goes very, very fast.

Papa Randall has always wanted to ride the “back” roads of different states, travel slowly and stop a lot along the way to enjoy the scenery and shops…. well, and to rest our butts, too!

It was a beautiful crisp morning when we left Bountiful and, true to his word, we stopped in about 50 miles and had breakfast in Kamas at The Yolk restaurant – it is a cute place with huge amounts of food!

I decided to go with the oatmeal and scrambled eggs (hmmm, sound familiar?!) I wasn’t disappointed.

We were with another couple on this trip.  Our desire, as we ride with our friends, is to basically see wonderful sites and eat tasty food – hence our slogan“Ride to Eat!”

We had lunch the first day in Price at an old hotel/drugstore turned diner on Main Street called Farlaino’s.

Again way more food than we could even imagine!

The hamburgers were larger than our plates. I was beginning to see a pattern with these places so I started eyeing everyone else’s food before I ordered which proved to be a wise idea!

The weather was perfect, the scenery beautiful and I took hundreds of photos from the passenger seat. Here are a few of the shots of the first day:

image image image image

Yes that is SNOW and a lot of it on June 22 – it was unbelievable and so beautiful!

image   image

We stayed in Moab the first night – it was 96 degrees when we rolled in to our hotel at 6:00pm.

We headed to La Hacienda for some great Mexican food, wandered main street shopping and ended the night with a tasty milk shake which again was WAY too huge.

Randy loves to keep things neat and tidy so early the next morning I spied him cleaning off both bikes…

When our friend Larry came outside, he declared that the Harley Fairy must have visited in the night!!  Crazy guys who love clean bikes!

It was back on the road on the clean bikes.  We were off to Colorado.

image image

There were great sights along the way.image image image

Colorado was my favorite! huge pine trees growing out of the mountains, cute shops, great food, bright blue skies and it was oh so warm!!

imageimageimage

Cortez, Colorado is where we stayed the second night and ate at a local steak house called Shiloh’s.  Not being a big steak eater, I had the salmon and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.

After Cortez, we went to Four Corners.

We headed to Four Corners was fun to see it’s where Arizona, Utah, Colorado and New Mexico all touch, they have craft booths set up and a spot in the middle where everyone gets their photo taken… even us!

imageimage

We stayed in Torrey, Utah on the third night. It is a tiny town no stop signs or stop lights but it boasts 12 restaurants – go figure! So, with a recommendation from a local shop keeper, we went to Café Diablo.

Well, I don’t usually take photos of my food unless I just have to make sure and share it with Janetha… and I was snapping photos all night!  This place was so incredible and the food was as good as it looked, truly a work of art! All of their pastries and desserts are made on sight in a cute bakery. I had two appetizers: empanadas stuffed with cheeses and a grilled chicken lettuce wrap – almost too cute to eat.

2011-06-24_20-26-17_369 2011-06-24_20-24-24_133

Our friend Holly ordered a salmon cake—look how beautiful!

2011-06-24_20-24-16_652

For dessert, our friends ordered a raspberry cheesecake. Delicious.

2011-06-24_20-59-29_293

Randy (Janetha’s dad) ordered a dense chocolate mousse for dessert and of course I was only going to have one bite….

2011-06-24_20-59-21_306

He kindly gave me half of it! It would be worth the 200 mile drive from Salt Lake just to have that dessert again.

We stopped by an art gallery in Torrey and I ran into this cute fellow. He’s no Penny or Randy, but we snapped a photo anyway!

2011-06-24_19-42-03_935

It was straight back to home base after Torrey—it was a nice ride back to Bountiful.

We managed to travel 1225 miles in just 4 days, saw some incredible country ate delicious food but more importantly we created some wonderful memories!!

Thanks Neef for letting me share a part of my life with your wonderful blogging community – love you guys xoxo!

1. Do you like motorcycles? Does traveling over 1,000 miles via motorcycle sound like hell or sound like fun to you?

2. What was the destination of your last vacation? How did you get there?

xo. Momma B.

Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories July 18, 2011 at 10:11 am

This sounds like a truly amazing trip! Great photos as well!

I do adore a good road trip, so I would guess I would enjoy a Harley expedition as well. Have you ever done any of the Harley-sponsored cross-country rides?

momma b. July 18, 2011 at 11:28 am

No we haven’t done any sponsored rides. A large part of the passion for Randy is PLANNING the rides, he will get maps out and study the different route options for days!

Megan (Braise The Roof) July 18, 2011 at 10:12 am

Wow, that is a lot of miles on a bike in 4 days! I have to say, traveling by motorcycle hasn’t really entered my mind as a vacation option, but it looks like so much fun- and the scenery in CO looks so beautiful!

Erica July 18, 2011 at 10:25 am

What a trip! I love that you and Janetha both order similar breakfasts (oatmeal and scrambled eggs :)). The bikes are gorgeous….but I’m terrified of motorcycles. Café Diablo looks incredible! Last trip? Hmmm I think Hilton Head was our last trip (not far from where we live in SC)- we drove!

Lauren July 18, 2011 at 10:51 am

Your mom is the best!!!!

Emily July 18, 2011 at 10:52 am

I love to see the temple…:) What a fun trip! I am so scared of motorcycles, so you just have the adventures for me, ok Mama B? xoxo

momma b. July 18, 2011 at 11:29 am

Hey Emily I must say I do have a small case of nerves, but we are super careful and the back roads help a lot because there aren’t as many other crazy drivers there! Our bike has a super comfy seat for me – I call it the motor home of all Harley’s!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat July 18, 2011 at 11:00 am

I’m not a motorcycle fan, but I might hop on to get to some of those restaurants!

Caroline July 18, 2011 at 11:22 am

I think it’s so awesome that your mom is a biker! I wasn’t expecting that at all.

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 18, 2011 at 11:38 am

Okay that is SO cool. ANd what pretty shots!

She even takes pics of her food, CUTE :)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 11:39 am

As my man would say, “That is no little crotch rocket.”

Kristina @ spabettie July 18, 2011 at 12:03 pm

great trip! I love the photos and the SNOW!! :) the food at Cafe Diablo looks amazing.

I am not a big motorcycle fan – my dad had Harleys for a while, they are beautiful. our last trip was from Portland to the Bay, back up to Napa and then home – and we rented a convertible Mustang – SO fun! :)

Mama Pea July 18, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Look at you, Motorcycle Mama! Gosh, that scenery is spectacular. It makes me want to plan a trip to UT, although mine would not be on a motorcycle…they scare me!

So happy to see you out and living and loving your life!

Errign July 18, 2011 at 1:47 pm

My family is very into bikes, but they’re not really my thing. My dad goes on road bike (pedal bike) tours too and I think that would be fun. He actually went mountain biking in Moab a couple years back.

My last real vacation was to Japan, Singapore, and Hong Kong in March. We flew obviously, and the stop in Japan was supposed to just be for a connecting flight to Singapore, but it was RIGHT after the earthquake, so we got stuck there for 27 hours. 27 hours stranded in an airport in a country having aftershocks means I get to count it as going to the country…I mean, I got a passport stamp out of it! :)

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats July 18, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I think motorcycles are pretty scary. I have gone on one Harley ride in my life and it was with my manfriend’s dad. I grew up in a state where there is a helmet law. In Wyoming, there is no helmet law, which freaked me out so we stayed around town and didn’t go too fast. lol. I also didn’t know how to properly get off of the bike so I swung my leg over his head instead of however you are supposed to do it. Oops :)

mary @ what's cookin with mary July 18, 2011 at 3:07 pm

What a fun way to travel! …and your bike looks so comfy.

julie July 18, 2011 at 6:31 pm

gahhhhh happy anniversary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and mamma b is one bad chicka! i wanna get a ride on a motorcycle!

Pure2raw twins July 18, 2011 at 7:32 pm

whoa your mom is hard core ;) traveling all those miles on a bike! amazing!!! Looks like an amazing trip and I hope when I am older I will be able to travel like that!!!

Eden July 18, 2011 at 8:04 pm

momma b,
You know I’m your biggest fan, right? all these other commenters and your kids dont add up to my adoration of you!
My dad wants to go motorcycle riding and I hope he gets the chance to do it. I’ve always been a little terrified because James Dean died on his motorcycle. but I’m sure it was because his motorcycle wasn’t as sparkling clean ;)

Maren July 18, 2011 at 8:16 pm

I feel like steakhouses have the BEST salmon!! I went to a steakhouse back in April and had the salmon and it was to.die.for!!

I am too scared to go on motorcycles, but sometimes wish I could be a harley girl ;) Our last vacation was just a quick weekend trip to the cities (minneapolis). Went to a Twins game and hung with my cousin and her family! It was a nice weekend getaway!

Eleah July 18, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Your folks need some full face helmets! Those buckets are crazy dangerous!
I love motorcycles.. I have a sports bike. I’m not as crazy as most of the men that I ride with, but I still have fun. I even met my boyfriend through motorcycling.

Eleah July 18, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Reading the other comments made me remember… I got to take my grandma on the back of my motorcycle last year. My dad had to help her get on because she was feeling stiff in the legs.. but it was such a blast!

Sarah July 18, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Awesome. Thanks momma b! Loved this post and all the photos xx

Lindsey @ Gluten-Free Lindsey July 19, 2011 at 3:13 am

looks like a fun trip!! i’ve NEVER been on a bike.. but definitely would if i had the chance :)

my last trip was to the Whitsunday Islands and Great Barrier Reef, Australia…paradise!

Jena July 19, 2011 at 5:13 am

That looks awesome! We have a kawasaki vulcan right now.. We bought it for my Husband to drive to work when gas prices were super outrageous (they are still bad, but not AS bad).. I love to ride, but it’s SO dangerous around here. In a 2 week span there were about 8 motorcyclists killed in our area alone. The bike has been parked since then and I think it’s on it’s way out. I would love to do a motorcycle tour like that (just not in florida). But we would need a bigger bike – my butt starts to go numb after about an hour.

I don’t remember our last vacay but we are leaving on July 30th to take our personal boat from Palm Beach, Florida to West End, Grand Bahama!!! I can’t WAIT!

Sami July 19, 2011 at 6:49 am

it is simply impossible not to adore momma b. she is the cutest! so sweet of her to take foodie pics for you (:

you know, in all the time i’ve been reading your blog, i never realized your dad’s name and your pup’s name was one in the same. lol

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) July 19, 2011 at 7:52 am

HAWT Momma! (and Daddy!) Moab is a mountain biking mecca so it made me drool just a little. What a fab ride you had- and impressive amount of mileage too!

My husband has more motorcycles than I have shoes (kidding, I think)- sports and classic bikes. He was a motorcycle safety instructor in the UK and California. Funny, he’s a better motorcycle rider than he is a driver, yet the thought of going on a tour via motorcycle doesn’t thrill me- you can’t eat with a full-face helmet on! hahah. And the commenter above is right- Full face are much safer although I know that a Harley rider would rather be hung by his/her toenails from a second story window than wear one.

Our last trip was to Julian, California via car (kitties and snacks included of course!) :-)

Hugs!

Klh July 19, 2011 at 8:58 am

Such a great post! The scenery is beautiful and the journey sounds so fun! Thank you for sharing!

Katie : )

Amy Jensen July 19, 2011 at 9:19 am

Of course I had to comment on this post since my parents are the other couple! Looks like an amazing trip. And that food does look delish. I know my parents had a great time and love spending so much time with you! And it was good to see you on Sunday!

Carla in Sydney July 19, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Looks like an awesome trip!
I can see why my soon to be husband really wants to visit Colorado as he is a cyclist and would love those mountains! :-)

I like motorbikes but I only like to be on the back. As long as the weather is right (not too hot or too cold), I really enjoy it!

My last trip was a year ago to the US (LA, Vegas, NY, San Diego). I have 6 weeks until I am coming over again to get married in Vegas. I am so excited…..I love the US so much it is ridiculous. It is a 14 hour flight from Sydney to LA….It is as horrible as it sounds!!