flashback friday: honeymoon.

by Janetha on July 15, 2011

in love and marriage,travel

since it’s almost my one year wedding anniversary (it’s on sunday, bee tee dubs), i thought it would be fun to flash back to my honeymoon.  about a year ago, we went to cabo san lucas, mexico for our honeymoon.

looking back, we kind of wish we had gone somewhere else. you see, marshall and i have the luxury of going on an annual beach vacation with the company we work for.  so.. a beach honeymoon wasn’t all that new or exciting.  with that said.. it was still incredibly fun and amazing. i mean, it was our honeymoon. what’s not to love?

because i already recapped the full details of the honeymoon last year, this flashback is going to be photo-heavy with little words. if you’d like to read about my honeymoon and the horrible loss of my point and shoot camera with half the photos we took.. you can click here or here. (ugh, i just now remember that i lost that camera and half the photos. i died a little inside just now.)

we stayed at the beautiful riu palace resort in cabo san lucas. it was gorgeous.

there was lots of laying out, reading and sipping on pina coladas.

oh and one episode of spilling an icy pina colada all over myself. marshall caught it on tape. i couldn’t reenact that face if i wanted to.

there was parasailing.

image image

lots of long walks on the beach.

imageimage

and of course any time i saw a dog, i snapped a photo. missing penny and randy, naturally.

image image image

we took a catamaran out and went snorkeling. i also got the worst sunburn of my life on that damn boat..

image image

we ate SO MUCH MEXICAN FOOD! tacos, guac, chips, enchiladas.. yum.

image image

we did plenty of shopping in town.. tons of rad masks and dia de los muertos statues.

and we basically just spent the week enjoying being newlyweds.

cannot believe it’s almost been a whole year!

hope you enjoyed this lil’ flashback friday. don’t miss me too much! i will be back soon.

1. married folks: where did you go on your honeymoon? single folks: where do you want to go on your honeymoon?

2. what type of vacation do you prefer: beach, mountains, historical/educational (i am thinking places with old castles and museums), big cities, other…?

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 15, 2011 at 5:06 pm

I want to go somewhere not too resort-y, so there’s still a lot to do but we have our own private time. i.e. going down to Figi like on the Bachelor and having our own villa <3

Ashley @ Will Run for Food July 15, 2011 at 5:29 pm

We went to Hawaii…amazing! And I definitely prefer a beach vacation, but an active one.

Jill @ Jill is Active July 15, 2011 at 5:39 pm

a. Single – I always picture my honeymoon (I just wrote moneymoon – I have a feeling mine is going to be expensive) traveling around Europe!! I would love to explore a new place with my hubby.
b. At this point, I think I definitely prefer a beach (since I live in Atlanta and rarely see the coast anymore) but it definitely has to be a place with lots of things to do!!

Love the pics from your honeymoon! I’ve been to Cabo so it brought me back :)

Brooke July 15, 2011 at 5:59 pm

We just recently celebrated 10 years! :)

We were lucky enough to be able to take a whole month… a true honeyMOON. And we spent it all over western Europe. Spectacular!

In terms of your trip ideas… I want a little bit of everything. Never satisfied with one! I guess I’m hard to please like that.

Congratulations on your anniversary, J! :)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) July 15, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Holy Abs and I love that spilling pina colada shot- made me LOLZ.

Our honeymoon was not typical at all: After our UK wedding , we went to weird places like St. Petersburg, Russia, where we stayed at a hostel where families were living (???). Then took a ship to Finland then to Sweden to see my family. Then took the train with our backpacks through eastern europe (belarus, poland, East germany) and ended up in the south of france. Weird but cool.

Q2. Yes :-) We love it all. Truth though, I can get bored on beach vacations, especially now that my skin will never again look at the sun.

Lindsay July 15, 2011 at 6:03 pm

I am currently trying to plan our honeymoon and we are looking into Turks and Caicos and Costa Rica. I just want a beach, all inclusive, and some activities to do. totally open to recommendations..

Jackie Smith July 15, 2011 at 6:46 pm

My sister-in-law went to Belize and said it was AMAZING. I’m sorry, I don’t know the name of the place–she said it was in the jungle (had to take a boat there) & all-inclusive.

sofia July 15, 2011 at 6:29 pm

loved this little recap. what a fun time. and a year ago. wow! time flies, huh?

1. i wanna go somewhere in europe where i can do a lot of exploring. turkey? greece? who knows. haven’t given it much thought!
2. SKI vacation! you know my style :) i like being active on vacay. and BT likes to ski. done and done. if he’s still at his company next march, i’m coming back to SLC :)

happy weekend!

Lisa at Dishes of Mrs. Fish July 15, 2011 at 6:37 pm

We went to Ft. Lauderdale on our honeymoon, it was relaxing but since we didn’t rent a car, we were really contained to a small area since cabs were expensive. If we could have do it again, I wouldn’t have so tight with the money and taken a cab more.

I’m a teacher and once summer comes, I just want to relax….so it’s a beach vacation all the way! Although I enjoy city getaways every now and again.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga July 15, 2011 at 6:38 pm

1. married folks: where did you go on your honeymoon? = we eloped in Vegas so we were already there.

We were supposed to come back home, tell people we got married, and then go on a honeymoon to Hawaii. That didnt happen. Instead, 6 mos later we went to Aruba. Fell in love with it.

And I am all about the BEACH vacays!

Becky @ The Bex Factor July 15, 2011 at 6:41 pm

This looks like a great trip! I just got back from Cancun for my friends wedding and it wasn’t the greatest time. It was my first time to Mexico and I got pretty sick, we didn’t get to do much sightseeing and we couldn’t swim in the ocean for there were too many jelly fish. Cabo looks really nice, I would love to see those giant rocks!

Erica July 15, 2011 at 7:29 pm

awwwwwwwwwww- Happy almost anniversary!!!!! We went to Mexico too and I loved every second of it. All inclusive drinks? Sun? Mexican food? seriously….ideal. Looks like you guys had a blast <3 <3 Hope you have some fun plans for the weekend

cathy July 15, 2011 at 8:01 pm

gah! can’t believe it’s been a year since your honeymoon! i totally remember when you lost your camera – so sad. at least you had MANY other happy moments!!!
we honeymooned in winter park, colorado – it was a very outdoorsy/sporty honeymoon with plenty of hiking, running, rollerblading – totally our thing!
now, it’s beach vacations or anywhere hot that is the vacation choice!

Lucy @ Porridge and Parsnips July 15, 2011 at 8:36 pm

We just got back from honeymoon a week ago! We went to Barcelona which was great – a good combination of architecture, city & beach!

My dream honeymoon has always been Mexico though – we’ve promised ourselves we’ll go there or the Caribbean for our 20 year anniversary once the kids have left home!! :-D it was just too far to go for a week while they were still in the UK with our parents.

& beach vacations are definitely my ideal! We chose a honeymoon where we could do other stuff too to make the most of a rare child-free holiday, but really all I want to do is sleep on a golden sandy beach with regular swims in the sea to cool off…bliss! :-D

Jayme @ Runner-n-Spice July 15, 2011 at 9:03 pm

I love big cities that have lots of history, Paris, London and the likes.

Your honey moon look beaaauuuttiful btw !

Nicole @ sugarcoatedsisters July 16, 2011 at 1:08 am

I’d like to go to Italy for my honeymoon (in the FAR future) because it seems so romantic. Plus, good food and beaches!

I prefer beach or mountains. I get enough of the big city by living in San Jose and LA… and historical, eh not too fun unless I’m with family.

kerry July 16, 2011 at 1:43 am

i cant believe its nearly a year! WOW!

Jena July 16, 2011 at 4:38 am

The resort looks amazing!! We didn’t go on a honeymoon. We were all booked to go to Costa Rica, but ended up having to cancel the trip about a month before we went.suck.

So, that’s where we want to go.. Almost all of our vacations in the 6yrs we’ve been together have been beach-based. That’s just the type of people we are- we adore the beach, and fishing. We are getting ready to head to the Bahamas for 8 days full of boating, fishing, lobstering & drinking. YAY!

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig July 16, 2011 at 5:15 am

We went on an all-expenses-paid trip to Hawaii for 3 weeks. It was awesome and we were super active but fit lots of relaxing in too. I actually prefer holidays of the historical kind – I grew up 2 minutes away from the beach, in a town where it only remains 2 weeks a year!

Congrats on your almost anniversary :)

sarah@spinach&spice July 16, 2011 at 7:13 am

ever since i was a little girl I wanted to have my wedding at Dreams resort in cancun, mx because it was always my vacation spot with my dad :) none of the siblings or mom, just dad and I would go every year together. brings back good memories!
i’m leaving for greece today though.. so there’s a very good possiblity that’ll change!

jessiker July 16, 2011 at 7:24 am

HHAHAHAHAHA lmfao that photo of the spilled Pina. Too good. You looked cute on your honeymoon, you always do! I want to go to Hawaii and I shall! I tend to choose tropical locations as my vacations, but I feel like I could go for something a little different, I really want to go to Machu Pichu in Peru next on my big vacation.

miss you x x x

Brindi July 16, 2011 at 7:43 am

My one year anniversary was this past April and my husband and I went on a 5-day cruise for our honeymoon. It left from Miami and we went to Key West and a few places in the Bahamas. It was a fun experience and the first time either of us had been on a cruise. I wish we would have checked out the boat a little more because, we don’t drink, and there were a lot of bars and clubs with a lot of trashed people. But Key West was gorgeous!

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) July 16, 2011 at 8:18 am

Love this!

The hubs and I have YET to go on our honeymoon. We keep putting it off, as we’re both super busy with work and starting out on our careers (not much time to take off) but we’re still undecided as to where we want to go! We love mountains, beach and city nearly equally… we’ve been debating all inclusive resort, yoga retreat and san fran. Still not sure!

xo

Lee July 16, 2011 at 9:29 am

We went to Maui for our honeymoon. It was the perfect combination of beachy but with things to do. We just went to Akumal, MX for our anniversary and stayed at an all-inclusive resort. While it was nice to relax, I prefer a vacation where we can actually do stuff.

Jaime July 16, 2011 at 10:12 am

My husband and I spent 10 wonderful days in Costa Rica–5 days on the rainforest/volcano side going hiking, on walking tours, zip lines, natural hot springs, and then 5 days on the luxurious beach side just relaxing! It was the best of both worlds for us!

The Delicate Place July 16, 2011 at 10:48 am

happy anniversary! we went on our hmoon to the caribbean on a cruise for 7 days. loved every second but to be honest i think i’m done with cruising as we like to explore not just do a pit stop in a place for a few hours and peace. however, i have to say the cruise was a perfect honeymoon for us because we got to relax and all our meals/stuff were onboard and worryfree!

i love visiting cities with a rich cultural history (read: anything in europe)

Mimi (Gingersnaps) July 16, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Your honeymoon looks awesome! Happy anniversary!

I think the Caribbean would be cliche but fun. I love all kinds of places, actually — historical, beautiful, big cities, or a place like the Outback.

Hmm…Africa could be cool too!

The Healthy Engineer July 16, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Still single (I have a lonnnng way to go until marriage :D) but in a perfect world, I would love to go to some European country (probably Italy), then go to Hong Kong (love the food and the city in general) and end it on some beach in Asia.

Jess@atasteofconfidence July 16, 2011 at 2:32 pm

When I think about my (very) future honeymoon, I’m conflicted. I want to relax, but I want to do something different and I really like exploring cities and historical places. We’ll see! Beautiful pictures.

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) July 16, 2011 at 6:33 pm

I’m still laughing at the picture of you spilling! Haha, that is incredible. Happy almost one year!

Pure2raw twins July 16, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Aww honeymoon now that is the part I am most excited about besides the wedding day of course haha. Gary and I are started to think about and plan out what we would like and what we can afford for a honeymoon! Decisions decisions haha it is fun though and I know no matter where we go it will be fun~

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli July 17, 2011 at 11:32 am

Omg, that face is absolutely priceless! Hahahaha!

I LOVE beach vacations! I went to St. Augustine, FL last year and it was the first time I’d been to the beach in over 9 years! I have vowed to never let that happen again!

Carrie Riley July 17, 2011 at 7:52 pm

My husband and I went to Cabo for our honeymoon too back in 2004. I also got the worst sunburn of my life when we took the boat ride out to El Arco. I swear it took a few years for me not to see the marks of my bathing suit. : 0

Hope July 18, 2011 at 6:46 am

I cannot wait to go on my honeymoon. It’s the one thing I keep dreaming about. I haven’t gone on a vacation in a long time! I want to go somewhere tropical that is all inclusive. We are looking at Sandals :)

Carolynne July 25, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Congratulations on your wedding anniversary. I am going to the Riu Palace in Cabo for a wedding in February. I hope it’s a nice place to stay. Any tips?