road food.

by Janetha on July 11, 2011

in meals,travel

hola! how was your monday?

mine was jam packed. early morning meeting (i totally just typed “meating”—wtf?), breakfast at the original pancake house (egg whites + oatmeal, of course), worked a little overtime, had a TOUGH bikram class (not sure why it was so hard today) and now i am settling in to enjoy a nice dinner that marshall made.

this is the second night in a row marshall has made 100% of dinner for me! usually i make all of it or we both do a little.. but he has been stepping up and cooking some amazing stuff.  i think that grilling culinary class we took changed him.

tonight’s dinner is garlic peppercorn rubbed grilled trumpeter, potatoes roasted in fresh basil + balsamic vinegar & steamed asparagus.

yum, yum, yum.

IMG_0668IMG_0666IMG_0667

he’s a good cook. and a good husband. i think i will keep him.

************************************************************************

road food!

we have a road trip coming up (with the pups!), so i have been making lists like a mad woman. if there is one thing i can do, it is make lists. i actually could make a list of the various lists i need to make for this trip!

• things to do before we leave
  • things to pack for the dogs
  • things to pack for myself
  • things to pack for the road
  • thing to pack for while we are there
  • FOOD!

see? toldja. my latest list has been specifically the food we will take for the drive.  we have a 9-10 hour drive each way.. we are bound to need a snack (or ten).  one of the best parts about road trips is the constant snacking to pass the time.. right?

here is a list of my favorite snacks for the road—all of which we will be taking on our trip.  most of this stuff is handy and not hard to eat if you are the driver.  also, all the prepwork will be done before leaving home, so we don’t have to mess with it on the road.

also.. you will notice this is all fairly healthy. road trips don’t have to mean unhealthy eating!

yogurt covered pretzels.

peanut butter filled pretzels.

aaaand probably regular pretzels, too, because one can never have enough pretzel varieties.

wasabi peas.

apples + nut butter.

bars galore!

dried apple rings.

string cheese.

raw veggies.

i will probably make a batch of basil hummus to go with the veggies because i have a bunch of basil in the fridge and i don’t want it to go bad. we will have a little cooler with us, so the hummus will hang out in there.

oh, and let’s not forget road drinks! don’t worry, no booze.

kombucha for me.

izze for marshall.

the pups will have water. well, unless they sneak a twelve pack of heineken when we aren’t looking…

marshall and i both hate fast food and avoid it at all costs.  so, since we will be driving during both breakfast and lunch, i am going to make a few substantial items to bring along.

for breakfast..

protein shakes to go.

we are leaving real early, so protein shakes are a great portable breakfast. this way we can hit the road super early and still be properly fueled for the long drive ahead.

my favorite combo right now is 1 cup almond milk, 1/4 cup POM juice, 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, 1 whole peach and 15 ice cubes. sometimes i add spinach.. but not always.

my favorite bottle to hold protein shakes is a blender bottle—it is the only one that holds a WHOLE shake without any leftover.

and in case that doesn’t hold us over for some reason, we will be sure to have some chobani + muesli.

and for lunch..

turkey sandwiches.

i have a turkey or tuna sandwich almost every day for lunch anyway (had one today, in fact), so this lunch is nothing new.. and it happens to be super portable.

pb & j.

because what if we aren’t in the mood for turkey?!

so, that’s the plan! i still have a couple days to prepare.. but i also have a few more lists to make. i better go!

1. quick! think of the last list you made. what was it for?

2. favorite road trip snacks?

Christin July 12, 2011 at 11:11 am

OK now I am making a TJ’s shopping list…why’d you have to mention lists?? lol

Janetha July 12, 2011 at 11:13 am

I am the list advocate!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) July 12, 2011 at 12:55 pm

15 ice cubes?!?! holy moly thats a lot of ice cubes! does it make it really thick and creamy? I usually use only about 5 or 6? i should try it with more!

I am loving your road food! I tend to stick tosimilar findings! protein bars, nut btuter packets, fruit, veggies, string cheese, chobani, raw oats, protein powder, trail mix, rice cakes!

Jillian @ sprinkle massacre July 12, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Oh man, you’re asking the list queen what her last list was. I make lists at work, list on what to blog, lists on what to buy on the way home from work, grocery lists, music to download lists. I save them in my phone, on post its, on huge notepads at work. I am out of control. lol But I would say my last major list was packing as well. I am like you in that I am seriously concerned about my travelling snacks. I went to the store by me that sells every sort of protein, evergy, fiber bar seperate out of the box and chose like 15 different kinds. I love that!

Natalie Lurie July 12, 2011 at 1:06 pm

We just back from a week long trip in Nashville. I had at least 5 lists made the week before we left. My packing list, food/snack list, restaurant list, lists for our house/dog sitter, activities lists…I LOVE lists!

Our road snacks are very similar to yours, though a road trip for me usually means an iced coffee from Starbucks at SOME point on the road! Looking forward to hearing all about your trip! Have fun!!

Stephanie July 12, 2011 at 1:31 pm

The last list I made was actually also a packing list for a trip to visit my family! If I don’t make a list, I WILL forget SOMETHING! Actually, I usually forget to put at least one thing on my list, and in turn forget that thing anyway :)

Haley Greenwell July 12, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Yummy food!
have a great trip!
P.s. Justin’s Maple Almond butter is my faaaavorite! Great choice!
P.p.s. You and Marshall are so very cute together. Glad he’s cookin for ya ;)
<3 Haley

Adriane @ Greenhorn Living July 12, 2011 at 1:39 pm

YAY for lists! And fellow list lovers ;)

My husband is a road warrior (so I eat and sleep while he does the driving). e wouldn’t stop at all if it wasn’t for gas. My bladder will be forever grateful for gas guzzling cars lol. We are planning a roadtrip later this month and I may be equally excited about my lists and your snacks.

Have a great trip!

Jessica @ Healthy Dairyland July 12, 2011 at 3:44 pm

For road trips I always make sure that I pack sliced veggies + hummus, popped popcorn, and the bagged sliced apples from Trader Joe’s.

Kaitlin With Honey July 12, 2011 at 4:21 pm

You and I eat all of the same road foods! Just subtract the wasabi peas (my weak mouth can’t handle ’em) and sub in some dark chocolate-covered almonds (I like to eat them at the same time as the pretzels — OMGamazing) and we’re good to go!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) July 12, 2011 at 4:47 pm

I recently had the pleasure of trying PB pretzels at Costco and nearly died of happiness. It was a religious experience!

Pure2raw twins July 12, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Gary has cooked for me once, he never really does anymore haha Though we does help sometimes. Favorite snacks are Twin Cakes goodies ;) haha Kombucha and coconut water are a must for us when traveling.

The Delicate Place July 12, 2011 at 5:32 pm

the last list i made was for work today. even though i’m overwhelmed doing 2 peoples jobs, it’s kinda hard for me to feel sorry for myself when the reason i’m picking up the slack is so my coworker can recover from her cancer (had surgery yesterday and will be out for 2mos at least!). hello selfish reality check, keeps me grounded.

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy & Healthy July 12, 2011 at 5:55 pm

I make lists pretty much every day. I’m the most unorganized person ever so it’s the only way I can function. But my favorite road snack is definitely combos (so bad but the only time I eat them!) and peanut butter pretzels :) Agreed on the pretzel thing, can’t ever have too many.

julie July 12, 2011 at 6:32 pm

marshies IS a keeper! maybe the guy who taught the class could be my husband? and they could cue for us together?

haha whenever we go on giant family roadtrips my brother DEMANDS the giant utz party mix snack tub. like the 10 lber

BroccoliHut July 12, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Last list: homework assignments/readings for microbiology. Gross.
Road trip snacks: freeze-dried fruit, hummus + pita chips, PB + carrots

Nat July 12, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Snacks! I love snacks.

The last list I made was a packing list for my work trip to NYC next week. I make lists for everything!

Leah July 13, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Any chance you’ll be doing a post on exercising/staying healthy while on the road? I just spent two days in a rental truck and it made me want to jump off a cliff…no way to move! Hope you have fun at Tahoe!

Janetha July 13, 2011 at 1:55 pm

That would have been brilliant! Maybe I will do one when I get back!

Brittany Desormeaux July 14, 2011 at 6:56 am

Hmm….Last list I made was my “To-do” list. I love it. It’s the ONLY way I get everything done! Love marking things off the list!

My favorite road trip food would be…To be honest I love pretzels too, but I’d have to have some protein with it!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) July 14, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I’m a huge picnic-er and take it on the road eater. To-ing and Fro-ing to PS always seems to happen over a meal hour or two. I always have cut up veggies, a piece of fruit and a sandwich or panini or wrap, plus pop chips or something fun. That’s in addition to the bars, jerkey, nuts and tootsie midgees that I always have on my person That’s in my LITTLE cooler. In the big cooler is the whole fridge.

I have lists that are pre-made on the computer- I just copy and paste them and add or subtract depending on where we’re going. It’s so interesting to see what I was “into” on different trips. Like I couldn’t live without cacao nibs on one trip! ;-)

Hope you have a blast. I LOVE road trips! LOVE LOVE LOVE them.