it’s all relative.

by Janetha on July 7, 2011

in family time

i don’t have a big family. i know, i know.. that isn’t the norm for people in utah. the majority of my friends have at least 20 cousins (if not 50).  guess what? i have a grand total of seven cousins—that is combined.  i have two on my mom’s side and five on my dad’s side.

when i was a kid, i was always envious of my friends who had huge family reunions with hundreds of people and lots of games like three legged races, croquet and horseshoes.  i have no idea where my envy came from,  because looking back, i really don’t mind that i didn’t have giant family reunions.  i actually really prefer my little fam.

the sad thing is that the few cousins i do have, i never really see.  most live far from me and we never have family functions outside of the usual immediate family get togethers at my parents’ house.  i didn’t see much of my cousins growing up, either. the visits are always few and far between!

my cousin, emily, was in town tonight. she’s my mom’s brother’s daughter. do you copy? good.  emily grew up in washington state (where momma b is from) and so we rarely hung out. but i always really looked up to her. i LOVED to visit washington so we could hang out. ohh and i even got to wear a special dress in her wedding when i was a kid. she’s amazing.

tonight, emily came over to my parents’ house with her husband and three of her five cute kiddos.

aren’t they cute?!

the crazy thing is that there were a lot of first-time introductions.  i had not met all of her children and they had not met marshall or my siblings’ spouses.  although there were so many first-time introductions, it felt as though everyone had always known each other.  that is the great thing about family.. you just feel comfortable no matter what.

momma b prepared an awesome dinner for everyone.

burgers, hot dogs, a massive bowl of fruit, scratch made potato salad and corn. lots of corn.

IMG_0567IMG_0572IMG_0573IMG_0564IMG_0577IMG_0581

i used to be such a carb snob and insist that i could only have an equal carb to protein ratio with each meal.  that was when i was doing body for life and in weight loss mode. this meant if i was having a burger (protein), then i could have one carb—either a bun, some fruit or an ear of corn.  now days? i am maintaining and i went with all three.

although i did have a bit of self control and skipped the mayo-laden potato salad. i LOVE mayonnaise and when people are disgusted by it i tend to get a little confused. it’s good.  for my taste buds, that is. not so much for my waistline. i save the potato salad for free meals.  (although i will admit, a skiff of light mayo did go on the burger.)

i typically skip dessert at these get togethers—only because it is usually something i am not wild about and i don’t feel like i am missing out. unless, of course, the dessert is the best stuff on the planet…

nielsen’s frozen custard is better than any ice cream, frozen yogurt or gelato i have ever tasted. trust me, i have tasted A LOT of ice cream, frozen yogurt and gelato!

if you live in or visit utah, please make sure you snag some nielsen’s frozen custard. it’s cool, creamy and the most delicious stuff you will taste. promise.

i had a bit of chocolate and a bit of raspberry. the other flavor was lemon, which i did snag a bite of, but chose to go with two of my favorites.  it’s probably good momma b didn’t get vanilla, though. once i start eating the vanilla custard, i really can’t stop.

yum.

it was great to catch up with my cousin and her family, albeit brief, no matter how much time passes between seeing her, i still feel close as ever. and em, i know you’re reading this—it was SO good to see you and your fam!

i am keeping this post short tonight because i have a project i am working on. i will tell you all about it tomorrow.

in the meantime, could everyone please do me a HUGE favor? my friend eden is in the running for a recipe contest. she is one of four finalists. the grand prize is $1,000!  if she wins, eden has generously pledged the full $1,000 to go directly toward susan’s cancer fund.. medical bills are pricey!

please take a moment to vote for eden’s recipe: indonesian pork baguette (on the far right). you can vote as many times as you want—you just have to close the window and go back in. please vote, vote, vote and spread the word!

thanks!

1. how many cousins do you have? are you close with them?

2. mayo: love or hate?

Karen July 8, 2011 at 11:26 am

I have a large family on my mom’s side and a small family on my dad’s side. My mom is one of seven children and each one of them had a minimum of 3 kids so needless to say, there are a lot of cousins on that side of the family. Now we are at the point where the cousins are all grown up and having children of our own. When we get together for weddings we are quite the crowd! On my dad’s side of the family I only have 2 cousins.

Jayme @ Runner-n-Spice July 8, 2011 at 11:33 am

I don’t have many cousins either…but my boyfriend has a ton! Its a nice balance.

Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health July 8, 2011 at 11:42 am

I have 8 cousins and I get along with all of them! The ones that live in my town I’m closer with just because I get to see them more often :). I was actually a bridesmaid last fall in one of my cousins wedding and she will definitely be in mine!

Missy July 8, 2011 at 11:42 am

I’ll definitely be voting for Eden’s dish constantly – Tweet the link if you havent already (I haven’t been on today). that’s so sweet to donate for Susan as well.

I have about 20 but we are not close. I see some from time to time but we all live so far apart now that it’s hard to get together.

I love mustard – especially French’s spicy brown! But I like mayo too. As a kid we’d eat mayo on crackers and thought it was a treat! And banana sandwiches with lots of mayo – yum!

Mary ( What's Cookin' with Mary) July 8, 2011 at 11:45 am

I have a very small family… I’ve got 3 cousin’s from Mom’s side I never see & 3 from my Dad’s side that I never see… Need to plan something asap ?? Brian has even less?! He’s got 3 total.

I am in love with vegenaise right now <3

Anne July 8, 2011 at 11:55 am

Love mayo!

I voted. Fingers crossed Susan gets the money.

Marissa July 8, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I only have 2 cousins. Total; both sides of the family. And they live 14 hours away. And they’re more than 10 years older than me. And I haven’t seen them since I was 8, lol…

Erica July 8, 2011 at 12:54 pm

What a fun get together. Kind of cool that a lot of y’all were meeting for the first time. I’ll take the whole bowl of fruit please :) Momma B- what a great meal! I’m going over tonight!! I only have 9 direct cousins. All of them live in NJ except 1, so I rarely see them. Mayo…no thanks. Sorry Janetha! Have a great weekend

Jennifer July 8, 2011 at 2:10 pm

All that homecooked food your mom made for your “reunion” looks delectable! If you ever want healthy recipes, please check out my blog runningwithmascara.com for great healthy tips! :)

Lea @ Healthy Coconut July 8, 2011 at 3:26 pm

My dad is 2nd to the youngest of 12 kids….so I have a lot of cousins on his side. I’ve only met half of them and the rest are in the Philippines or live all over the worlds.

Momma B is looking so good :) Tell her I said hi.

Paige @ Running Around Normal July 8, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Voted!
I used to be a mayo hater. It is does have a weird taste, you gotta admit! But now I love it:)
I have 8 cousins, but only 5 that I’m close with. And I just realized that if my brother and SIL never end up having a kid, our future kid will be cousinless! Shane’s an only child.

Nicole G July 8, 2011 at 4:47 pm

I voted for Eden about 20+ times, I lost count!

I have at least 30 cousins! It is crazy! I am only close with about 8 of them though.

I love mayo. Sad to say. It is delicious on darn near everything, especially toast and a thick slice of homegrown tomato!! My husband perfers Miracle Whip, yuck!

Any chance we will see Mama B’s potato salad recipe on your blog? It looks similar to my grandma’s recipe and delicious!!!!

Janetha July 8, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Ohhhh I should make her do a guest post with the recipe. It’s so good! Full of onions and hard boiled eggs :)

I loooove tomato and mayo sandwiches!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather July 8, 2011 at 5:21 pm

I might be slightly bias, because I live here, but Washington rocks :). You should go see your cousin there then we can meet! That would be awesome. Glad you had such a great time. Your mama’s always cooking up such good meals.

Pure2raw twins July 8, 2011 at 5:58 pm

we do not live near our cousins, they are all up north in VT/NYC area, but we did have family reunions every once in awhile. I would say we are close, but family is family right, haha

already voted for Eden ;)

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish July 8, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Nielsen’s frozen custard IS truly amazing. I can attest to the fact that it’s the best frozen delight in this country. Really. :-)

I only have 3 cousins!! Crazy, huh? I was always jealous of larger families as well, but after spending a weekend with the entire gang a few weekends ago, and actually getting to spend time with everyone, I’m happy with my small and sweet family.

I LOVE mayo!! It makes everything taste better.

The Delicate Place July 8, 2011 at 6:55 pm

i love the retro packaging on the ice cream. i’m def a visual snob when it comes to my foods or wine. i end up buying it because it looks cool ha. i’m the same way about vanilla anything, i just cannot get enough of the v bean! i don’t like mayo-packed salads but if it’s a light coat and more vinegar based then i’m on board. i have a teeny fam and only have 5 cousins! my mom is an only child so i was kinda doomed from the start.

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel July 8, 2011 at 7:21 pm

BIGGEST BOWL OF CORN ON THE COB EVER!!! mmmm and it’s all finished with ice cream!! WOOHOO!! :)

xoxo

BroccoliHut July 8, 2011 at 7:38 pm

So when can I come eat dinner at your house? Everything looks fantastic!!
I have 12 cousins–with so many, it’s hard to be close with all of them! We’re all very different ages, but we all get along:)
Ever since discovering Lemonaise, I am a mayo convert.

Katie July 8, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I have 10 cousins and I probably see them once a year. Sometimes twice…but I wish it was more! We grew up together and I miss them terribly. How fun to have a cousin reunion! Also, I’d like some custard, please.

Carbzilla July 8, 2011 at 10:50 pm

I have one cousin. She’s awesome even though I don’t see her very often. I do see her dad a tons, and we’re total buddies (probably cuz he’s not my dad). I only have one brother, and my mom is an only child so small fam.

I mostly like the stuff that mayo holds together, not the mayo itself.

Kerryne July 10, 2011 at 8:48 am

I haven’t posted comments in months. Thought I better start again :) I have a bazillion cousins. I don’t know 3/4 of them. I was really close to some of them growing up and still am but my dad’s side of the family isn’t close. My Aunt came in to Trolley Stop when I worked there (a million years ago), I scooped her ice cream and she didn’t even know who I was so that tells ya right there how often I saw them growing up.

Mayo is the bombshizzle. I LOOOOOOVE it.

Imagine how hard my life is… Nielsons is right down the street from my house. I drive past it a million times a day. Hardest thing ever :)

Katie May October 4, 2011 at 7:52 am

I am like you. Non-mormon from a mormon family, born and raised in the good old SL,UT! Except I literally have SO many cousins that I could not even begin to count. I have 14 first cousins on my dad’s side alone and each of them have at least 4 kids (i’m not even exaggerating a little bit)! Family reunions are mass chaos!

And I will attest to the gloriousness of Neilsen’s frozen custard! It is the best thing in the whole world EVER! *drooling*

Janetha October 4, 2011 at 11:30 am

Dude! It’s really great to hear from you and hear that you relate to me so much. Thanks for commenting :)