muscle building monday.

by Janetha on July 4, 2011

in meals,moves,product review

heyo! happy independence day to all my american blogging friends!

i just got home from the gym.  my workout was fanflippingtastic so i wanted to share it.. mainly so the next time i am looking for a good lower body and ab routine, i can reference this post. call me selfish…

warmup.

• 100 jumping jacks
  • 100 high knees
  • 100 butt kicks
  • 100 switch kicks
  • 50 sumo squats holding 15# dumbbell

circuit one: three times through.

circuit two: three times through.

circuit three: three times through.

machine work:

streeeeeetch for ten minutes!

the end.

this workout took me an hour all together. it was so fun! the combination of both free weight and bodyweight circuits plus the machine work really kept it interesting. the plyometrics kept my heart rate up.  i can’t wait to do it again.

it’s really important for me to fuel my body with a good combo of protein and carbs after strength training. my favorite way to do so is with a shake because it gets to those fatigued muscles right away.

i recently received a batch of protein powder from true protein. i was really excited about getting this protein because i actually decided what exactly went into the batch.  i had heard great things about the protein powder from some of my blogging friends, so i hopped right on the make-your-own-protein-powder wagon.

i did a mixture of long-lasting casein protein, my new favorite pea protein, psyllium husk for added fiber, l-glutamine because i love it, some healthy fats, unsweetened vanilla, a bit of stevia and true protein’s vitamin and mineral mix.

sounds like a great combo, right? and check out the stats:

amazing! i was SO excited to try my powder! i blended it with my usual mix: ice, almond milk, a banana and some blueberries.

all it took was one taste of this shake before i dumped the whole thing down the sink.

yeah. it was that bad. it straight up tasted like HAIRSPRAY. i have no idea why it was so disgusting. clearly the mix that i created wasn’t a winner.. but i don’t think any mix should be allowed to taste like hairspray. oh my gosh, i can’t stop thinking about how horrible it was!

i threw the whole container of powder in the trash. i am sad that i had a bad experience with true protein, i thought it had a lot of potential! maybe i will ask around and see the blends other people enjoy.. but i think i will be sticking to purchasing protein powders that are formulated by the experts.. not by me.

blech.

to get that nasty taste out of my mouth, i blended up a peachy perfect protein shake using some syntha-6 vanilla protein powder (the one we use for protein oatmeal).

this had a cup of almond milk, two small peaches, a scoop of the vanilla protein powder and some ice. SO MUCH BETTER!

yum.

well, it’s a holiday! i am going to go shower and then frolic with my friends for the fourth.

hope you are all having a great day!

1. what was the last new food/drink you tried and HATED?

2. what is your favorite lower body move?

*FTC disclosure: I received the sample of True Protein free of charge and was not monetarily compensated for my review.

Eden July 4, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I would like to frolic with you.

Kayla @ Sprouty Buns July 4, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I recently tried Kombucha tea – I’ve heard rave reviews from other bloggers but couldn’t stomach more than a sip. Not my cup ‘o tea ;)

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 4, 2011 at 3:50 pm

WHoa, sorry about that yucky experience! I have had nasty protein powders before, and OH the aftertaste is gross.

I love good ole’ squats <—done properly ;)

Caroline July 4, 2011 at 3:55 pm

So I’m taking a break from studying for my biochem exam and reading blogs.. since I’m studying the amino acids right now, I’m just curious – what is it about L-glutamine that you love?

Janetha July 5, 2011 at 11:50 am

i have read several studies that show glutamine will in fact increase fat burning when taken after meals. i have personally seen more abdominal fat loss since starting glutamine supps. i take it as a capsule, but i thought getting it in my protein powder would be awesome. too bad…

Caroline July 6, 2011 at 6:49 pm

see, why don’t they teach us that kind of useful info about amino acids? haha but really, that’s very interesting! im def going to look into that, thanks!

Kristina @ spabettie July 4, 2011 at 4:02 pm

oh, no… I am planning on trying Mama’s Pea Protein (she should totally be their spokeslady) as soon as I have used up more of my protein… (I’m a protein powder hoarder, and I’m trying to recover!!)

one I think is SO gross? Jay Robb. any of them. also? Sunwarrior vanilla. WAY hyped up and I think it tastes artificial.

I love squats, my knee does not.

happy Holiday!

Janetha July 5, 2011 at 11:50 am

i bet mama pea’s blend is awesome. that lady has great taste buds. i just totally messed mine up!

Kristina @ spabettie July 5, 2011 at 1:46 pm

yes… I think when I do buy, I’ll keep it simple like Sarah… I built one once, then stopped myself from buying because I need to use up my current stash… but it was a crazy list of all kinds of things that looked good! :D I’ll learn from you…

Holly July 4, 2011 at 4:10 pm

That workout is awesome!!! I am putting together some notebooks for workouts and that’s definitely been printed and will go in there! I am sorry your protein was yuck. I’ve tried tons and just never been a fan. They always taste soo horrible to me, especially if they have artifical sweeteners.

Janetha July 5, 2011 at 11:52 am

I can assure you that my butt is super sore today–you will love this workout the next day!

Heather July 4, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Too bad your protein was nasty! The nutritional stats looked amazing!

Syntha-6 is delish! I also like BSN’s Lean Dessert protein!

Janetha July 5, 2011 at 11:52 am

I know–just too good to be true I guess? I love Lean Dessert, too! The cinnamon one.. yum.

Carrie@shrinkingcarriewww July 4, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Ugh! I hate it when I experiment with my protein shakes and they taste like poop. Such a waste.

Erica July 4, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Killer workout ! Plyos totally rock. The whole make your own protein concept sounds awesome! Bummer that the blend was kinda yucky.

1. what was the last new food/drink you tried and HATED? I’m kind of unadventurous with eating….so if I think I am not going to like something, I usually don’t eat it haha.

2. what is your favorite lower body move? owww tough one. In general, squats!

fittingbackin July 4, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Great workout! I clicked on those bench toe taps – wow! I’m definitely going to try those. Thanks for the exercise ideas as always!

Janetha July 5, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I had never done them before, but I loved them! They really get your heart rate up.

Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories July 4, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Can’t go wrong with squats! Or your cute owl mug–love it!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga July 4, 2011 at 5:20 pm

So sorry about your True experience. I used to think all protein powders tasted horrible. I do think they are one of those things like say stevia….that they are ALL a very acquired taste and you *can* learn to like, even love, some of them. But some of them, no matter what, are still just…horrible!

I am not a fan of hemp or pea protein. The kinds ive tried are really earthy, i.e. dirty, and gritty tasting to me. I know you and mama pea love your pea protein, I guess I should try it again, but in the past it was not for me, and yes, I threw a whole can away. And I am cheap and HATE to waste things like that!

Another thing that everyone else ‘loves’ but that is just very meh to me…almond butter. Would WAY rather have PB or SFSButter.

Keep us posted on the protein search!

Janetha July 5, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Funny, the reason I like the OL pea protein is the grit factor! Different strokes for different folks, for sure. But I bet NOBODY would have liked this one I tossed out. It honestly tasted like hair spray. Chemical nastiness.

Errign July 4, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Food I hated: Sonic breakfast burrito and tots. I HATE traveling with friends who are down to eat whatever, because I am definitely not down for that shiz. I ate about 2/3 of the burrito and 3 tots. Gag.

Favorite lower body move: Calf raises or lunges!

Janetha July 5, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Ugh I hate road trip food like that. I always make sure to have bars in my purse now!

Deb July 4, 2011 at 6:04 pm

my eyeball is bleeding for two reasons:
1. I’m injured & have total envy of your workout (which is the exact type of workout I’ve been doing for the past 2 months til now)
2. Shake down the sink. That’s almost up there with beating baby seals. Sad tragic day.

Love uuuuuuu

Janetha July 5, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Hahaha.. the baby seals comment was so bad and so good. I love you. Boo to injury :(

Nat July 4, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Oh no. So sorry to hear about the protein powder mishap. Yuck!

PBJenny July 4, 2011 at 6:20 pm

ugh, protein bummer! that’s such a rad concept too. Lameeee.

Toronto Girl West July 4, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Super hard core workout! ;)

Carbzilla July 4, 2011 at 7:01 pm

This post completely cracked me up because a) yeah, you’re so selfish, and b) you really are so honest, and l love that about you.

Awesome workout! Can’t wait to try it!

tea-bag July 4, 2011 at 7:23 pm

ugh, the last food i hated was the great value brand beef jerky. that stuff tastes like what dog food smells like! so gross!
learned my lesson about not buying cheap jerky!

Holly @ The Runny Egg July 4, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Too bad about the protein powder — a hairspray drink sounds pretty nasty.

Seeing that owl mug reminded me that I gave my dad a shirt for Christmas that has an owl on it and it says “Whoo Farted?” — it fits his personality and he wears it all the time.

Janetha July 5, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Ahahaha that’s hilarious.

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) July 4, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Such a bummer that the protein powder wasn’t good! The weird thing is, I can totally imagine what hairspray tastes like. When I was a kid, I used to sit in my parent’s room when my mom got ready and I felt like I would always inhale hairspray- gross!

Janetha July 5, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Yeah–exactly.. I totally know what it tastes like! This specific powder tasted like Paul Mitchell hairspray.

Mama Pea July 4, 2011 at 10:42 pm

I feel so bad! I think you put way too much stuff in your blend! I just do rice/pea protein and stevia and it doesn’t taste a bit like hairspray. And believe me, I’ve used enough hairspray to know.

I’m sorry!!! :(

Janetha July 5, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Don’t be sorry! Or feel bad. It’s not your fault that I am retarded. I will have to do your exact blend next time! I just ordered another canister of the OL pea protein, though. It’s my fave, thanks to you.

Abby July 4, 2011 at 11:00 pm

I made a blend of 50% pea protein, 50% brown rice protein, stevia, and the natural vanilla flavor on True Protein and it is bomb! The last new drink that I tried and hated was the Strawberry GT’s Synergy Kombucha. I don’t know what it was but I just can’t stand the Cranberry or Strawbery flavors. lol. My favorite lower body move is probably calf raises. I need to find something to do with thighs to be a favorite though. :p

Janetha July 5, 2011 at 12:15 pm

That’s what Mama Pea (above you) does and she highly suggested it.. I need to just give that a try!

Paije July 5, 2011 at 2:10 am

That workout is bad ass.
Cuuuute owl cup :)
The last food I tried and didn’t like was pizza wheat thin sticks. DISGUSTING.
Fave lower body move is I think called the hee haw. From the tone it up girls. My thighs have never burned so good.

MelissaNibbles July 5, 2011 at 3:01 am

I’m sorry you had to throw the whole thing away. I love Lean Dessert protein. All the flavors are delicious!

Janetha July 5, 2011 at 12:16 pm

I agree! Which one is your favorite?

cathy July 5, 2011 at 3:50 am

super job on your workout, j! and hope you had a great time with your friends.
last thing i tried that was just absolutely horrible was coconut water. it was a New Experience and it was awful – i ended up dumping most of it.
does cardio count as a lower body move?! haha! if not, i’ll go with the wall sit – effective, and you don’t have to do anything!
hope you find a better protein – i like myoplex, but then i don’t mind fake sugar! :)

Janetha July 5, 2011 at 12:16 pm

I love coconut water! But I know so many who hate it.

Janetha July 5, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Oh and I have like 10 protein powders I LOVE.. so it’s ok that I tossed that one.

Miz July 5, 2011 at 4:15 am

*LUNGES off to build the muscles*

Trisha July 5, 2011 at 6:16 am

About a month ago I considered making my own protein blend, but I was afraid it would turn out horrible! So sorry you had that experience. I’m sticking with the pre-made stuff too!

The Teenage Taste July 5, 2011 at 7:52 am

Protein powders are definitely a hit or a miss with me. I have 2 really good powders that I stick to. That being said, this “custom made” protein powder sounds like a great idea! I guess you just need to find the right blend… :-?

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather July 5, 2011 at 9:17 am

Major bummer about the protein! Sounds like a fun idea though.

I am totally going to try that workout with Jacob! Love me some leg work. Step ups rock my booty.

Alta July 5, 2011 at 9:30 am

Love your workout! Those plyometrics do wonders.
Bummer about your protein powder. Sounds like it would be such a cool concept. Lately, I’ve TRIED to like hemp protein powder – I like that it has fiber AND protein, but it’s so gritty and grassy. I could get past grassy, but the grit kills me. So I’ve switched to Vega Performance Protein Powder. Pricey shiznit, but it tastes good! It’s a blend of brown rice protein powder, green pea protein, and alfalfa protein. So it turns your smoothie green, but hey, it taste vanilla-y, so whatever. I’m good with it.
I love squats and jump squats, but I also have a love/hate relationship with jump lunges. My legs get tired SO quickly with those, but I know I’m doing MAJOR toning!

momma b. July 5, 2011 at 9:53 am

haha I so thought you were going to LOVE the protein powder, that reaction caught me by surprise but boy do I love your honesty!! Hard to sugar coat the truth isn’t it?!

Can’t even remember the last food I hate and hated…….it’s that short term memory snag :)

Dead lifts – love, love, love em!

xo

Janetha July 5, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Maybe it was a beet.

momma b. July 5, 2011 at 2:32 pm

ah yes, you are too smart! it was and will forever be a beet xoxo!

Marissa July 5, 2011 at 9:57 am

Tried the Breyer’s Blast Reese’s ice cream the other night–BLECH. Who would have thought something that’s supposed to taste like peanut butter could taste so bad?

My favorite lower body move… ooooh, there’s so many! I love squat jumps because those get my heart racing… but I also love wall sits because they make me feel like I’m going to throw up if I hold them one second longer… and I also love deadlifts because I feel like they’re the only things that REALLY hit my hamstrings good!

Janetha July 5, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Too bad about the ice cream. If there is one thing that is horrible, it’s bad ice cream!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 5, 2011 at 10:00 am

Jan is there a way that you do weight workouts on vacay when you’re limited?! I have no weights or tools whatsoever here, just my body weight, so if you had any tips that would be so helpful!

Janetha July 5, 2011 at 12:23 pm

AHHHHHH never call me Jan!!!

Ok, now that that is out there.. haha. YES. There are tons of things you can do with your body weight! Lower body: sumo squats, single leg squats, walking lunges with kick back, donkey kicks, leg lifts, calf raises on a stair, toe taps, supermans. Upper body: wide pushups, diamond pushups, plank pushes, tricep dips.. okay, I will shut up now :)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 5, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Sorry girl, my b! ;) But thank you, these will help so much. I’m going stir-crazy! The fam has no gym membership. Wah. Have a good night!!

Christin July 5, 2011 at 10:03 am

Sorry to hear about your protein powder incident! I’ve never had a bad experience with protein powders fortunately, but I did have a bad experience with Icelandic strained yogurt…it was so unbearably bitter, even with toppings!
My favorite lower body move is lunges with the front leg on a step, with a weighted bar over my shoulders…killer every time!

Amanda July 5, 2011 at 10:13 am

ugh I’ve had experiences like that with egg white protein powder before.Blech!

Cute “give a hoot” mug! Love it!

Tiffany @ Simply Shaka July 5, 2011 at 11:28 am

Boo–I was all excited for your homemade protein powder but I guess not. Maybe you can keep playing around with it in smaller batches and hopefully one day create a winner?

Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health July 5, 2011 at 11:32 am

Wow, your workout sounds awesome! Hope you had a great holiday!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) July 5, 2011 at 3:05 pm

well that workout does look fan flippin tastic!!! you better post it and toot your own horn :) if not I will for you!

hmmm I tried mussels…and did not like LOL the texture did not mesh well with me!!

julie July 5, 2011 at 5:31 pm

EPICICULOUS workout

aka epic and ridiculous all at once. i’m obsessed

Janetha July 6, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Hahaha I love new words. As long as they aren’t “amazeballs”.

Mandee Lei July 5, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Just finished this workout and it kicked my butt!!! I have all of the workouts you have posted on here saved on my Favorites but this one really did me in. I workout at home and sometimes have trouble coming up with new routines so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep posting them!!! Each time I wanted to give up on this workout and cut myself some slack, I told myself “Janetha did it, so can I!!” :)

Janetha July 6, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Good for you, Mandee!!!

Marisa July 6, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Hello! :)

I know the point we’re discussing is to build muscle here, but curiosity set in and I’m trying to figure out if there are any awesome recovery drinks that don’t build muscle quite as much if you’re just trying to drop some weight…. anyone?

Thanks a bunch!!!

Janetha July 7, 2011 at 9:55 am

If you are trying to lose weight, you still need to have proper post-workout nutrition. If you possess more muscle, you actually burn more calories when in a resting state. That said, you can keep your post-workout drink to a lower calorie option, just make sure it has a nice combo of carbs and protein. I suggest to keep it nonfat or lowfat. When I was working on weight loss, my post-workout drink was always a scoop of protein powder, a scoop of EAS muscle armor, ice and water.

Marisa July 7, 2011 at 1:25 pm

So the Syntha-6 could work well then? Thanks chica!!! I am trying to figure this all out and it’s super confusing. My boyfriend told me to check out recovery drinks so I won’t gain as much muscle, but essentially they seem to be the same thing!

Congrats on those work outs! Awesome. Even the warm-ups I see will kick your booty. :) Feeeeeel the burrrrrrnn!!

Janetha July 7, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I should point out that you shouldn’t be afraid of gaining muscle! When I did BFL, I lost 10% of my body fat and gained a whole bunch of muscle and, in turn, could eat more food. It was great! I love muscle.

That said, you just want to pick a protein powder that is around 100 calories per serving and around 20 grams of protein per serving. If you are adding your own fruit or other type of carbs to the powder, you want to make sure to pick one that is low carb. I like Syntha-6, Tera’s Whey, EAS 100% whey and Olympian Labs Pea Protein.

If you go with a good balance of carbs and protein post-workout and are keeping the rest of your meals clean and focused on not eating junk (or too many calories) then you WILL lose fat.

Marisa July 7, 2011 at 10:44 pm

You’re awesome, I appreciate the info- thanks girl! Keep it up, your blog is fantastic and I love every second of it. :)