three things thursday.

by Janetha on June 23, 2011

in meals,random rambles

it’s thursday, which means it’s a good day to knock off melissa’s weekly feature where she bitches about three things that are bugging her.

1. cancer.

this morning i woke up to some really shitty news about my dear friend susan.

susan + me, foodbuzz festival 2010.

i bet a lot of you know susan and know what an amazing, strong, inspiring lady she is. she’s been hit with the bad luck stick twice recently—first with a shattered elbow and now this. my initial reaction to the news was “WTF CANCER?!”.

i am sure everyone can relate. i have never met one person who has not, in some way or another, been affected by cancer. it sucks. and it needs to just go away.

oh—and on the topic of susan, everyone needs to check out her post titled, “why i am no longer a healthy living blogger”.. it’ll make you think. and it’ll make you smile. it’s the best post ever, basically.

well.. that was my #1 thing for today. i don’t anything can beat that one.. but since it is THREE things thursday, i will think of two more. all in the name of alliteration, right?

2. straws that come with water bottles but are too short.

i drink a protein shake every morning for breakfast. i use the same bottle for said protein shake.  this bottle is awesome. i love it! i got it from target, FYI.

it came with a built in straw, which is awesome, because i prefer to drink all my beverages with a straw.  partially because i have sensitive teeth, but mostly because i think it makes things taste better. something about the liquid going directly to your taste buds through the straw or something. i don’t know.

anyway, this straw that came with my bottle doesn’t quite make it to the bottom of the bottle, meaning i can’t quite get the last bit of my shake without taking the lid off.  it’s annoying.  why couldn’t the manufacturer just make the straw one inch longer? that 3 ounces of beverage not available via straw.

yeah, it’s a white girl problem, but it’s thursday and this is one of my things and melissa taught me that it’s perfectly acceptable to bitch about anything, no matter their significance.

3. all this dog hair in my house!

i realize it is now summer. it’s hot. today was the hottest day of the year! my poor pups are shedding like crazy.  we sweep and vacuum fairly regularly and marshall tries to keep up with brushing penny & randy, but nothing can keep up with the monster hairballs that are all over the place.

[nataliedee.com]

i better just learn to live with the hair.. because penny and randy are basically in charge around here, and i am confident that they aren’t going to stop sleeping on my bed anytime soon.

in other news, marshall & i made tin foil dinners tonight! well, okay, marshall made them. i ate one.

we love tin foil dinners and usually only eat them when we are camping.  well, since we can’t get work off to go camping, we improvised and used the grill.

i was at bikram, so marshall did all the dirty work.

marshall cooked them over low heat on the grill for a total of about an hour. when i got home they were ready and waiting. thanks, husband.

inside the foil:

• steak (i marinated this overnight in a blend of worcestershire sauce, BBQ sauce, frank’s hot sauce and TJ’s 21 seasoning salute)
  • baby red, yellow and purple potatoes
  • carrots
  • celery
  • red onion
  • seasonings a la marshall (the world may never know)

i topped my tin foil dinner with greek yogurt and ketchup.

just so you know, greek yogurt tastes just like sour cream when in a savory setting.

delicious.

i can’t wait to make other combos of tin foil dinners. they aren’t just for camping! i am thinking the next one will have to have chicken, artichokes, tomatoes, asparagus and pesto. yes, please.

we just got home from getting frozen custard. i know that eating ice cream—or some form of it—every night may very well turn me into a fat kid, but at least i will be a happy fat kid. sometimes frozen custard with marshall on a random thursday night is necessary. it’s good for my soul.

no questions—just a request for everyone to please keep susan in your thoughts and prayers!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 23, 2011 at 10:38 pm

I always use Greek yogurt instead of sour cream now and I love it! It definitely tastes just like sour cream, which is why I don’t understand how people can eat it without sweetener if they eat it for breakfast.

Janetha June 23, 2011 at 10:46 pm

If I have it for breakfast it MUST be with fruit or some other sweet thing like cereal or granola.. for sure. And peanut butter.

Stefanie @thenewhealthy June 23, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I will absolutely keep Susan in my prayers! Much love! <3

Jessiker June 23, 2011 at 10:47 pm

I am sorry to hear about Susan! That is awful news. I will have to read her blog tomorrow morning.
1. The moth that is on my phone right now while I am reading this on the dark.
2. Low flying airplanes. I am constantly in fear of crashing planes or bombs dropping. Absolutely hate low flying planes.
3. Swoobies.

Yum love the dinners. Thank universe ronin is done shedding, for now.

Eden June 23, 2011 at 10:55 pm

We love susan and cancer can suck it.
I love you too, fyi ;)

Amber Faye @ One "Faye" At A Time June 23, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Sorry to hear about that Janetha! Cancer sucks balls. Big ones.

Did you go to Nielsen’s???????????? If you did, I just want you to know how jealous I am!

My dogs shed like crazy mofo’s too. Drives me crazy. Have you ever heard of the “furminator”? Apparently it’s supposed to be a pretty sweet ass dog brush. I saw a video of it at the pet store and it was nuts. I think they are a little pricey but if they keep my house dog-hair free I think it could be worth the dough!

Janetha June 24, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Yes, we live right by Nielsen’s! I looooove it. If it is ever suggested, I cannot say no. It’s the rules.

I have heard of that Furminator thing. It’s like $60? I need to buy one.

vanessa June 24, 2011 at 1:54 pm

i love the furminator for my cats. they like it, too. got it on drugstore.com for $25 (my 2nd favorite website besides amazon)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) June 23, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Ok starting with the least urgent matters:
1. Pet hairs, oh lordy do I know this. Ask Eden as Samantha walked all over the countertops looking for food and plastic to eat- And I can never wear black in the house and sit b/c I will then be covered in white hair.
2. Go to 7-11 and get the super big gulp straws- they are as long as an Icelandic summer day
3. Susan. Well, what can I say- both Eden and I have been sick over it since yesterday- after crying about it, we’ve both just felt like something has been sucked out of us- we feel for her so deeply as both of us have been touched by cancer. But on the up-side, this is Susan we’re talking about. And if anyone can do this, it’s her- she’s strong and has the will to live a good long healthy life- I have every confidence in her and the fact that she has a huge support system.

Missing you.

Janetha June 24, 2011 at 12:16 pm

The things we deal with for our babies.. Also, I need to go get a long straw today! I bet they are bright colored, too.

I MISS YOUUUUUUUUUUU. Should we start a countdown?

Nicole @ sugarcoatedsisters June 23, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Lately I’ve been using greek yogurt instead of cream cheese on bagels/toast. Also, mixing half greek yog and half ranch dressing makes for a healthier (more protein packed) salad dressing!

Amber Faye @ One "Faye" At A Time June 24, 2011 at 8:56 am

Hey that is a fabulous idea! I LOVE ranch but hate the calories/fat that usually come with it!

Janetha June 24, 2011 at 12:17 pm

You can even make your own ranch with all greek yogurt, that’s what I do. 1 cup yogurt, 1 cup skim milk and 1 packet organic ranch seasoning.

Floey June 24, 2011 at 12:22 am

I don’t know Susan at all, and I’ve never met her, but I’ve read her blog for the past few months and I totally teared up this afternoon when I read her post from yesterday.
<3 I'm comforted, however, to know that she has wonderful strong friends like you.

MelissaNibbles June 24, 2011 at 3:51 am

I’m so sorry about your friend. I recently lost a very close friend to cancer so I know what you’re going through. I’m still trying to sort out my emotions. My thoughts are prayers are with you.

Janetha June 24, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I’m sorry about your friend, too.

cathyd June 24, 2011 at 4:01 am

thank you for sharing about susan. i am so sorry, and will be thinking about her and her family. i lost a childhood friend to cancer this week – it’s just not fair.
dog hair – i think i have heard of people who spin it into yarn and knit with it!! but please don’t send me what you’ve collected from randy and penny. :)
happy friday!

Janetha June 24, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Um, yeah! My MIL told me people get sweaters made from their pet hair! THAT IS SO GROSS.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 24, 2011 at 4:05 am

I have been beside myself, and a complete and utter mess, since reading about Susan’s diagnosis. I think about her 100 times and hour. It’s been a huge wakeup call for me, that life is short, and there are no guarantees. And it feels like just yesterday I was meeting you and her at FBuzz Fest. Wow.

Thank you for this post, and honoring Susan, Janetha :)

lindsay June 24, 2011 at 4:41 am

susan is freakin amazing! I cannot thank you enough for sharing that post. It was a reality check, a slap in the face, and it needed to be done.

3 slaps thursday for me!

Susan June 24, 2011 at 4:51 am

Love you a million times over JG. Even if my country won’t let you through its borders, reading your blog and keeping up with you will no doubt entertain and help me through this process.

Actually one of the first things I thought when they told me I’d be in the hospital for a month was “But I won’t be able to see the dogs!!!!!”

I think my priorities are out of whack.

Janetha June 24, 2011 at 12:18 pm

I would consider that top priority. Maybe they can sneak in the back door… ;)

Kelly @foodiefresh June 24, 2011 at 5:08 am

Gosh, I am so sorry about your friend. Cancer is one of those things that is always a threat in the back of my mind to myself and anyone around me because anyone is vulnerable, no matter what your age or health. I would be a basket case if my best friend had that kind of news. I pray that she overcomes it and that you have the right words to say to ease some of her fears.

Heather (Heather's Dish) June 24, 2011 at 5:38 am

i’m definitely praying for susan! that’s so hard…

in other news, i hate the dog hair situation at our house too. YIKES!

Hope June 24, 2011 at 6:12 am

I’m sorry about your friend. I am keeping her in my thoughts! That is a shame. :(

I love the tin foil dinner! I’ve never done that on the grill. I need to try it soon :)

Lauren June 24, 2011 at 6:12 am

I cried when I read that about Susan and I haven’t even met her but I feel like I know her already. She is such an amazing person and staying in such good spirits! I will always be thinking and praying for her as she goes through this.

True story, I am sitting here eating a yogurt bowl as I read this and I almost threw up a little when I saw the dog hair pic. LoL

Have a great weekend adorable!

Tessa @ Amazing Asset June 24, 2011 at 6:24 am

I have been reading Susan’s blog for several weeks now and following her recovery from the elbow injury and her other amazing and insightful posts. When I read about her diagnosis the other day, I literally cried. I don’t personally know her, but can tell from her blog that she is a great, strong, beautiful woman and I am certainly praying for her through these struggles.
Oh and btw, that is a whole lot of dog hair, yeeshe! haha

Erica June 24, 2011 at 6:27 am

ugh….susan is definitely in my thoughts. I agree- its amazing how cancer really has impacted everyones lives. What a great dinner. And hooray to the man for prepping it up. Greek yogurt is such an awesome topper

Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health June 24, 2011 at 6:42 am

Susan is definitely in my thoughts! I’m so sorry to hear that. That dinner looks amazing :). The whole straw thing annoys me too!! I feel like that happens a lot- c’mon you’d think someone would have figured it out by now.

julie June 24, 2011 at 7:30 am

can i come be a happy fat kid with your and marshies?

Janetha June 24, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Yes. We will adopt you. That’s perfect,because then I don’t have to deal with diapers.

Mellissa June 24, 2011 at 7:53 am

I filled a dust pan 5 times last night sweeping up dog hair. Nothing makes me more annoyed, especially the fluffy hair that just floats around the house.

Katy Widrick June 24, 2011 at 8:27 am

Yes, yes and yes. I actually now use a blender bottle as my water bottle, and bought a 99-cent straw from 7-11 that is the perfect size.

Janetha June 24, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I will have to get a straw from Sev. I use the blender bottle sometimes, too, if Marshall hasn’t left them all in his car (dirty) I love how much they can hold!

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 24, 2011 at 9:22 am

I LOVE Greek yogurt in place of sour cream too!! YUMM..

So sorry about your friend :( !!

Katie June 24, 2011 at 9:41 am

:( I posted on her wall. She’s lucky to have great friends like you and such an awesome blogging community for support, and also to be a strong person. I’m praying for the best!

Emily June 24, 2011 at 9:49 am

Wow. I had no idea about Susan. I am glad you’ll get to see her soon. Give her an extra hug for me.

Three other things:
1. Yeah. WTF dog hair? I thought we were done. Apparently not. Huli just has tufts of undercoat sticking out of her every time I come home from work. So I brush her for like half an hour. She’s still covered in hair and then so am I. Frick. And you cannot hide that shiz on hard wood floors. You know what I mean.
2. Tin foil dinners on the grill is an excellent idea, and so is topping it with Greek yogurt. Good call. It’s like camping without everything I hate about camping. Which is everything. I’m going to girls’ camp next week. Yippee.
3. Who said there was anything wrong with ice cream every night? Not you. and not me either. I’m waiting for D to get back from his trip so we can go get some frozen yogurt. It’s awkward to go alone. It just feels so…single. Whatever. Anyway, love you and Happy Friday! xoxo

Janetha June 24, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Gosh, I hope I get to see her soon. I am not sure if she will still go to the summit. But I hope she does!

Muahahaha HAVE FUN AT CAMP, sucker.

Chels June 24, 2011 at 10:13 am

I am so sorry to hear about your friend Susan, I will keep her in my prayers.
Your pics of greek yogurt as sour cream made me want to make tocas for lunch with greek yogurt.

Lisa June 24, 2011 at 10:15 am

Cancer sucks. You are so right about it having affected everyone in some way. Sounds like Susan has a great attitude, though, and is living life to the fullest. That’s all you can do, really.

Shannon June 24, 2011 at 10:22 am

How awful for your friend! My dad passed away from AML but that was a different situation and I read the couple of posts and it looks like she can survive this! Cancer is a nasty bastard of a disease! It’s so sad how many people get it! You just don’t know what will happen. I have two first cousins that both had breast cancer (they are my 2 uncles daughters and there’s no history of breast cancer on our side of the family) and it just sucks!

As far as animal hair is concerned, my aunt’s cat get’s hair EVERYWHERE! I love him to death though. He’s the cutest cat with the sweetest disposition, but man alive! If I hold him for a minute I’ll start getting a stuffy itchy nose and my shirt will be covered in hair! It’s a sacrafice, but they are so worth it aren’t they???

Janetha June 24, 2011 at 12:21 pm

So sorry about your Dad.

kristi (sweet cheeks) June 24, 2011 at 10:49 am

I will be thinking about Susan. It’s crazy how things happen sometimes.

that straw would irritate me, too. I gotta have every last drop of my shakes and smoothies!

Natalie @ Will Jog For Food June 24, 2011 at 11:09 am

I feel you on number 1…my aunt was just diagnosed with stage 4 brain cancer and we are praying every day, and now we are running a half marathon to support the American Brain Tumor Association. Cancer SUCKS!

Janetha June 24, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Praying for your aunt!

Sami June 24, 2011 at 11:28 am

Cancer does suck. My best friend had a one in a million case of it before she had her first child. Age 24. It was crazy. She beat it with the help of tons of prayers. I couldn’t be prouder. Love her so much…God works miracles everyday and there’s no doubt in my mind he will do the same for Susan!

xo.

Marissa June 24, 2011 at 11:55 am

I can’t believe what happened to Susan. Its so unfair…

I’ve only ever had a tinfoil dinner at Cracker Barrel! It was good, though. And pshh, don’t worry about the ice cream. If there’s one thing I’ve come to realize in the past 2 weeks of ED recovery, its that metabolisms are AMAZING things. I’m currently downing at least a pint of ice cream a night plus a ton of other food. Even after 3 years of starving myself (you would think my metabolism would have completely shut down, right?) I haven’t gained AN OUNCE. And I haven’t changed my workout program at all. I always thought I would be the exception… but its so true that almost everyone can eat a LOT more than they think they need!

Janetha June 24, 2011 at 12:22 pm

It’s true, our bodies can handle a lot more than we think. Agreed. Too bad I manage to eat half gallons of ice cream at a time…. it’s just so damn good.

Cait's Plate June 24, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Ugh, when I read about Susan I felt so sad for her. I can’t even imagine what she’s going through and how she’s feeling.

I can totally jump on bored with hating cancer. My father actually passed away 3 years ago from lung cancer. It’s the worst disease ever!

Janetha June 24, 2011 at 12:47 pm

So sorry to hear about your Dad.

Biz June 24, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Oh, I haven’t stopped by Susan’s blog in a while – that sucks! :( My Dad died of throat cancer 13 years ago, and my cousin and SIL both had breast cancer and kicked their ass – AND THIS YEAR my husband was diagnosed AND cured of colon cancer.

And I love the tin foil dinners – you had me at Frank’s hot sauce! :D

Lisa June 24, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I’ve been in shock since Susan tweeted the news. I woke up yesterday and my first thoughts were about her. I cannot believe if. WTF Cancer??

The Delicate Place June 24, 2011 at 3:32 pm

man cancer is everywhere right now. my coworker just found out too and is having surgery july 11 :( my best wishes are with your friend. ::hugs:: tin foil dinner eh? we’re grilling in the rain tonight. burgers. get in my mouth.

Lindsey @ Cardio Pizza June 24, 2011 at 3:34 pm

THANK YOU for liking Susan’s post, it was amazing and wonderfully written and TRUE. She is definitely in my prayers.

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather June 24, 2011 at 3:37 pm

So sweet to come home to a man made meal! Those rock. Susan is in my thoughts.

dana @ my little celebration June 24, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Oh my gosh you crack me up. First off I am SO sorry to hear that Susan has cancer. My aunt recently received a breast cancer diagnosis and she’s a very healthy woman. And when I first found out all I could do was cry and then get angry, so I totally know how you feel. I can very easily say that I HATE cancer, too.

Second, I too share an affinity for straws (I was just telling my husband that today) but agree that a short one would suck, major.

And last, that picture of your dogs (and I think Marshal?) on your bed is hilarious. It kinda made my day. And oh yes, dog hair sucks.

Have a great weekend, friend!

Susan June 24, 2011 at 6:22 pm

I’ve been thinking about Susan a lot these last few days. She’s such a wonderful person, and I know you two are quite close. Cool people kind of tend to stick together. Love to you both!

Pure2raw twins June 24, 2011 at 6:42 pm

We read Susan’s post and wow, she is truly amazing! She is in our thoughts and prayers. She is a fighter and know she will make it out okay.

Kelly @ Kelly Be Well June 24, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Confession: I’ve never, ever had a foil packet meal. Keep posting these! I know, this should be easy and not rocket science, but I still wanna see some different match-ups!

Brittany @ LessBritt MoreLife June 24, 2011 at 8:29 pm

I stumbled upon Susan’s blog this week, and my heart hurts for her!!! But she has such a great support system!

momma b. June 24, 2011 at 10:06 pm

I’m certain blog community prayers are answered! Sending positive thoughts, love and prayers to Susan ……
sending love to you too xo!

Mama Pea June 24, 2011 at 11:16 pm

That is exactly what I said when I heard about Susan. And then I prayed. We will help her get through this!!!

Tiffany @ Simply Shaka June 25, 2011 at 5:09 am

Wow, that is absolutelt horrible news about Susan. I read her blog a few times and the whole being young and having cancer thing seems surreal.

On another note, I love Penny’s crazy eyes. I thought she was sleeping in that pic but then I looked further. Lincoln doesn’t shed so I’m lucky in that respect but my parents dog is black and white and sheds like crazy so I have to stock up on lint brushes whenever I go home.

holly June 27, 2011 at 9:42 am

i heart susan. you took all the bitchy words i was thinking about cancer right outta my mouth, so thank you! and that tin foil dinner looks amazing. in fact, i have seen a million tin foil dinners that look amazing. me thinks that is a sign for me to make them too…