birthday brat.

by Janetha on June 20, 2011

in dogs,fun with friends,meals,moves

i love my little jessica. she turns 27 tomorrow! we celebrated tonight.

STUNNER.

before i get to the details, i will share a little about my day.

because i have to be to the office at 7 AM on mondays, i never have time to make breakfast beforehand. this usually doesn’t matter since we go to the original pancake house for a meeting every monday.  WELL..

this morning was a little different than every other monday morning. my bosses (all 3 of them!) are out of town, so we didn’t have our usual monday morning sales meeting pancake house. that means i was on my own for breakfast.  i ended up fixing something in my work’s kitchen around 9 AM.

the return of protein oatmeal.

in the mix: 1/3 cup oats + 1 scoop vanilla protein powder + 1 TB peanut butter + generous shake of cinnamon.

it’s been ages since i had protein oatmeal! i love it, but now that it is warm, i prefer protein shakes.  this was still delicious.  marshall brought me a huge coffee, too, which makes every monday better.  fact: coffee hand delivered by caring husbands is the best coffee in town.

protein oatmeal is just as filling as it’s always been.  i didn’t eat lunch until after 1 o’clock.

bagel sandwich & celery + peanut butter.

this was the last of my onion bagels! i decided to switch it up this week and bought mini pitas.. but i had to have one last bagel sandwich hurrah today.

the bagel sandwich had spinach, turkey, cucumbers and spicy sweet mustard.

and on the side…

why do celery and PB pair so well? i dipped a cucumber slice in the PB and it was not nearly as good. i wonder what it is about the celery?

did you spy my penny bean in the photo above?  i love this shot.

it was the first time we took her to the dog park. the frame reads, “pick of the litter.”  she sure is.

well.. insanity is over. there was no time for yoga. i was at a loss as to what to do for my workout today! i decided to go with what i know works: a body for life style lower body workout.

because it is late and i am too tired to mess with tables, i will bulletpoint my workout:

• 1/2 mile warmup on treadmill @ 8 MPH

• 15 reps on back hyperextension bench w/ 10# plate
    • 6 @ 55#
      • 15 reps on back hyperextension bench w/ 10# plate
    • 12 @ 45#
  • single leg calf raises: 12 each leg

quads.

• single leg press machine
    • 12 each leg @ 80#
    • 10 each leg @ 85#
    • 8 each leg @ 90#
    • 6 each leg @ 95#
    • 12 each leg @ 85#
  • single leg pogo squat jumps: 12 each leg (consecutive)

glutes/hips/abs.

• 3 sets of 15:
    • left leg donkey kick
    • right leg donkey kick
    • left leg side raise
    • right leg side raise
  • 10 minutes of ab work
  • 5 minutes of stretching

the end! i hope i have DOMS tomorrow.

today happens to be national vanilla milkshake day, so i had to celebrate! because i ate a whole bunch of dessert on friday, saturday AND sunday.. i decided to take the healthy route with my post-workout vanilla milkshake.

vanilla bean protein shake.

i used a TRIFECTA of vanilla!

1/2 tsp of vanilla bean paste, 1 TB of vanilla powder and 1 serving of vanilla protein powder.  i combined the three with a cup of skim milk, 20 ice cubes and 1/4 tsp each of xanthan and guar gum. i love the vanilla bean specks!

after downing that deliciousness, i quickly got ready and we headed to the park for the birthday brat’s BBQ!

jessica prefers to be called a birthday brat. and it’s very fitting, too, because she can get pretty whiny about her birthday. what can i say, she’s a princess.

i had some fun and made fruit kebabs to share.  i whipped up some fruit dip to go with the kebabs, which is simply whipped cream mixes with strawberry chobani (i got the recipe from erica).

hello, overexposed photo. the kebabs were a hit.

IMG_9639IMG_9631IMG_9637

yeahhh.. all my photos are overexposed. haha.. i thought they were OK, but that’s probably because i was wearing sunglasses. oh well! just put some sunglasses on when you read this post, kay?

there were lots of other goodies at the party, including chips, salsa, sausage stuffed mushrooms, steak, shrimp, burgers, brats, chicken kebabs, corn, cream cheese with salsa, cupcakes and homemade tiramisu! it was ridiculous how much food there was.

it is also ridiculous how many dogs there were!

IMG_9638IMG_9649IMG_9651IMG_9655

fun with friends!

IMG_9647IMG_9630IMG_9632IMG_9627IMG_9628

i am an idiot and didn’t charge my camera.. so it died about 20 minutes after getting to the park. WOOPS! here are a few iphone shots i managed to get..before my phone died, that is. what’s my problem?

fire is fun.

umm.. here is a sorry photo of the grilling. marshall and i had chicken + pepper kebabs,

amber + janetha.

the grilled jalepeno sausage and cheese stuffed mushrooms. simon (jessica’s fiance) made them.. SO good.

happy birthday, birthday brat!

i gotta go to bed. it’s a school work night! pat yourself on the back if you made it all the way through this post!

1. do you plan the temperature of your meals according to the temperature outside? (ie: cold breakfasts in the summer/hot breakfasts in the winter)

2. favorite fruit? me=peaches.

Stephanie @ extremebalance.net/blog June 21, 2011 at 12:26 am

1) Absolutely! And because I wasn’t done eating soups, I took a trip to the Southern Hemisphere for a few months so I could keep on eating ’em. Totally reasonable behaviour, I think…

2) cherries… when in season and perfectly firm, they’re divine! But I’ve also never met a lychee I didn’t like, and Ataulfo mangoes are *perfection* in a breakfast parfait…

Eden June 21, 2011 at 12:29 am

I cant wait for my birthday ;)

My milkshake doesn’t bring the boys to the yard. Boys dont like almond milk.

Janetha June 21, 2011 at 9:36 am

You’re right. Marshall hates it. I can’t wait for your birthday, either!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) June 21, 2011 at 1:30 am

Love vanilla specks too. And Jessica is adorable. Loving her blog!

Yes, I totally noticed Penny’s photo- it’s the first thing I saw!

Fave fruit- the forbidden banana. Temps- sometimes. I go by what I’m craving. And when it’s cold, I don’t crave smoothies. But I still make myself have them :-/

Nicole @ sugarcoatedsisters June 21, 2011 at 1:36 am

I’m pretty skilled… I can enjoy hot oatmeal in cold or super hot weather ;)

My favorite fruit is a tie between pears, apricots, and cherries. I love berries too, but they are always so darn expensive!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 21, 2011 at 3:50 am

do you plan the temperature of your meals according to the temperature outside? = yes to an extent but I can drink scorching hot coffee middle of summer and eat frozen grapes all winter, so there are some random things I do.

The vanilla trifecta looks sooooo good. I adore vanilla. I mean, I could really just inhale it as my air. :)

Janetha June 21, 2011 at 9:36 am

i am with you! VANILLA all the way. my favorite scent and flavor!

cathyd June 21, 2011 at 4:06 am

~i’m not into oatmeal right now – replaced my breakfast bowl with cold cereal a few months ago. i don’t intentionally switch up meals to go with the weather, my taste buds seem to automatically do it for me!
~i love bullets more than tables – use that format any time.
~the bday bbq looks like so much fun!!! glad you all had a good time.
~i thought the brother and i were the only ones who used the word “trifecta” – > yea!

Lauren June 21, 2011 at 4:43 am

What a fantastic birthday bash! :) I love the idea of throwing a big BBQ for a party. Is that at a park or someone’s back yard?

Glad your friend enjoyed her special day. :) You always know how to celebrate properly. :)

Erica June 21, 2011 at 5:06 am

Your protein shake looks so yummy. I still haven’t tried that brand of protein- need to get on it. What a fun party!! I love that you made fruit dip- isn’t it so good? Its like the easiest thing ever….and I can never make enough. And all the pups- I’d be in heaven!

1. do you plan the temperature of your meals according to the temperature outside? If I’m going to be eating outside- definitely! We had dinner Sunday outside (it was about 100 degrees) and I could only think about getting a salad. But I actually love chili in the summer too

2. favorite fruit? oh my gosh…this is a heavy question ;) I guess cantaloupe!

Pure2raw twins June 21, 2011 at 6:01 am

looks like a great birthday party! my favorite fruit is fresh figs! Love them!!!

Heather (Heather's Dish) June 21, 2011 at 6:05 am

i do plan the temperature thing sometimes, but most of the time i just go with what sounds good. i’m not above chili in the dead middle of july! and i adore peaches too…definitely very high up on the favorite fruit list :)

Errign June 21, 2011 at 6:15 am

Back home, I definitely do create my meals based on the weather, but here in NC, even though it’s hot as balls outside, we have AC, so I don’t mind eating oatmeal in the am or something. Plus, I forgot my blender at home, so I’m currently unable to go the smoothie route anyway, haha.

Favorite fruit? Pink lady apples and cherries. Yum. I have not seen one pink lady apple since I left New England and this makes me depressed, a little.

Hope June 21, 2011 at 6:17 am

What a great birthday party! It looks like it was so much fun! :) Sometimes I plan meals according to the temperature but most of the time, I don’t. I’ll eat whatever sounds good to me at that moment.

My favorite fruit is pineapple. They have been so good lately! :)

Paige @ RAN June 21, 2011 at 7:24 am

Looks like such a fun party!

I am on a protein oatmeal kick lately! Ever since Amy (Second City Randomness) told me to make it a shake and replace the liquid with it instead of just adding the powder, it’s so much better!

I don’t plan my meals according to the temperature, but my body usually craves cold when it’s hot naturally (excpet now, with the oats thing, heh) and vice versa.

brandi June 21, 2011 at 7:31 am

love all the dogs! and that picture of penny is too cute :)

that vanilla smoothie sounds so good – I’ve never heard of vanilla powder!

dana @ my little celebration June 21, 2011 at 7:37 am

Hmmmmm, my favorite fruit is definitely bananas. But I also really love apples. Fun post! Jessica’s hat is so cute!!

Kellie June 21, 2011 at 7:42 am

Janetha, just so you know… slightly overexposed photos are all the rage in the photography world right now… jus sayin’ :o)

Janetha June 21, 2011 at 9:35 am

haha thanks for the reassurance!

Amy June 21, 2011 at 8:05 am

yum that shake looks soo good! great workout, by the way!

Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers June 21, 2011 at 8:25 am

I love protein oats, not with pb, but with vanilla or banana powder. I feel my body repairing itself as I eat them – haha

Yes – I do plan menus with the weather. It’s supposed to get up to almost 100 degrees today, so tonights dinner = cobb salad. Light, refreshing, and cool!

Amber Faye @ One "Faye" At A Time June 21, 2011 at 8:47 am

Oh my. That vanilla bean smoothie looks FANTASTIC. I am going to have to try it! I <3 vanilla bean paste.

Jessica June 21, 2011 at 8:49 am

I typically do plan my meal temprature based on the weather. However, I can always go for oatmeal with peanut butter – even on a hot day!

Favorite fruit – pineapple!

Marissa June 21, 2011 at 9:12 am

Celery is actually one of the vegetables I don’t really care for… but baby carrots + peanut butter? Now, that’s amazing!

I don’t really plan my food temperatures around the seasons… more like how I feel at that moment. Sometimes I wake up chilled, so I want oatmeal. But after a workout, all I can think about is either a cold crispy salad or a frozen protein shake. I can’t stomach hot things when I’m hot (makes me nauseous), and if I eat cold things when I’m cold I quite literally feel like I’m going to freeze and die. lol.

Peaches are my favorite too! But only good, sweet, local peaches from Gilbert, SC! What can I say; I’m a peach snob… there’s nothing more disappointing than a sour peach!

Janetha June 21, 2011 at 9:34 am

I agree–it’s gotta be a nice, ripe, juicy peach!

Shannon June 21, 2011 at 9:14 am

1- I don’t really because I go more for what I feel like eating. I do avoid the oven like the plague during the summers and I guess I tend to buy more ready made things during the summer so I don’t have to use the stove as much. I make big batches of meals for lunches and dinners throughout the week anyway.
2- My favorite fruit is nice ripe strawberries. Yum!!!

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 21, 2011 at 9:23 am

Oh I WANT one of those fruit kebabs! Those look amazing :)

mary (what's cookin with mary) June 21, 2011 at 9:23 am

Happy B day to your friend Jessica !

lindsay June 21, 2011 at 9:32 am

my birthday is next month, wanna come throw me a party like that? tee hee, dogs included!

Janetha June 21, 2011 at 9:34 am

Yes! I would love to.

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun June 21, 2011 at 10:11 am

Fruit kebabs equal perfect summer food!

And if your legs don’t have DOMS after that, you have legs of steel.

Abby June 21, 2011 at 10:21 am

My meals usually have some kind of correlation to the weather. I love comforting, warm meals in the fall and winter and light, refreshing meals in the spring and summer. Those fruit kebabs look like the perfect summer snack! :) My favorite fruit depends on what is in season but I would have to go with strawberries and peaches for sure!

Heather June 21, 2011 at 10:26 am

Looks like a great workout! I need to put the donkey kick back into my leg days!

Jessiker June 21, 2011 at 10:40 am

That was the best birthday celebration EVER!!!!!! I love you to pieces, the fruit kabobs were amazing. I loved them and I think I ate 20 of them. Thanks for being you you always make me smile and I LOVE MY SHOES they are so cute and comfortable. I wish you were off work today so you could come to the pool.

I love apples, they’re my favorite food in general!!

kris (everyday oats) June 21, 2011 at 10:50 am

that vanilla bean protein shake looks goooood!
I plan meals according to seasons…sometimes. I’ll still eat hot oats in the summertime sometimes just because I love them so much. I just make sure the fan is on :) And i’ll have smoothies in the winter too. Sometimes eating something cold is just so appealing in the winter time.

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather June 21, 2011 at 11:07 am

I have been loving peaches lately! They are so good and sweet.

The fruit skewers looks so good!

kristi (sweet cheeks) June 21, 2011 at 11:25 am

Have you tried making your protein oats the night before and sticking it in the fridge? That is what I have doing lately and it’s been the perfect breakfast for summer. Just give it a stir in the morning and top with your nut butter!

favorite fruit of the moment: mango!

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health June 21, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Gotta love celebrating birthdays! My favorite fruit in the summer is water melon :)

Niki (Life's a Payne) June 21, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I definitly plan my meals that way! I love smoothies in the summer and warm oatmeal in the winter. I also LOVE the grill in the summer!

My favorite fruit is raspberries! They are AMAZING!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat June 21, 2011 at 1:05 pm

I have a very similar picture of my JRT as a puppy (outside in the leaves). So cute!

NAOMI@onefitfoodie June 21, 2011 at 1:31 pm

LOV ELOVE LOVE the post! and yum the protein oats look so good! i am going to be enjoying some right after my workout today!!! its warm outside, but cold in my office s its the pefect post workout treat!

ummm some foods I totally do in anticipation of the temperature but some are just so darn good that I could care less if it was hot or cold out! haha like my oats in the morning, I have them all summer long! i wake up and dream about the combination of berries, egg whites and oats so I just have to have it! oh and wth coconut oil mmm

favorite fruit (right now?) is mangoes!

Jamie June 21, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Do you have a particular brand of bagel that you like (they look so good!)? I feel like when I look at bagels/tortillas/english muffins/bread etc I stand there reading label after label and get so frustrated trying to decide which one is the healthiest choice. Can you help me with some of your favorite brands? Thanks! I’m new to your blog and LOVE it!

Katy (The Singing Runner) June 21, 2011 at 3:50 pm

I’ve never heard of vanilla powder before? Where do you buy it?

Looks like a fun party!!!! I love outdoor BBQ’s!!! One of my favorite parts about summer!

Megan (Braise The Roof) June 21, 2011 at 4:00 pm

A birthday bbq is such a good idea! I might have to steal that one…I don’t REALLY plan my food around the weather, but the one seasonal thing that I have is yogurt. I never, ever want it during the winter. I actually just bought my first pint of the season a week ago!

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) June 21, 2011 at 4:07 pm

all i have to say, is that is the besttttt protein. i just tried it a few days ago and fell in love! i bought some from whole foods, but its pretty expensive so i’ll have to look online. i usually have sunwarrior, but i was so excited to find an organic whey with simple/minimal ingredients! i bought a packet of chocolate today and also tried the goat whey, but vanilla is my fave :)

The Delicate Place June 21, 2011 at 4:18 pm

i’m in awe that you finished insanity. i just cannot hold attention for that long. what are your thoughts on it? was it worth it or have you had better results doing other routines? i’ve also seen that tera’s whey at WF…is it worth the price? i don’t really do whey often but sometimes i get a hankering. my fave fruit=bloobs. yeah i tend to eat cold things on summer mornings and hot breakfasts in the winter. it’s hot as balls right now in my house so i leave the shower sweating. gross.

Meg June 21, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Happy birthday to your sis! I love the pic of you and her sharing a fruit kebab.

I definitely eat a lot more cool food in the summer and hot food in the winter. When it’s hot outside, I can’t stand the idea of a hot meal!

My favorite fruit is strawberries… or pineapple.

julie June 21, 2011 at 6:48 pm

happy birthday jessica! what a FUNtabulous day! you make me crave protein oats like a mayj person would haha i can’t pretend i’m not ultra excited for some tomorrow. except mine will be collllllld

anyways love your bbq park action but DO NOT love your pb & celery action. i actually hate hate hate celery!

BroccoliHut June 21, 2011 at 7:33 pm

I totally do not pay attention to the temps outside when it comes to eating. I eat oatmeal and smoothies year round!
I am loving peaches these days too–just had one today for lunch:) However, I think my favorites are blackberries and mangoes.

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 21, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Those fruit kebabs are such a clever idea! Definitely going to do this on the 4th of July :)

holly June 27, 2011 at 9:46 am

fave fruit: berries, of all sorts!

your friends seem fun. when i come visit, i want to be the guest from out of town brat and have you throw me a grillout like this one. even though you know my fear of dogs, i will let all the dogs come too. kapeesh?