dad’s day!

by Janetha on June 19, 2011

in family time

happy father’s day to any dads reading this.. which is probably a total of none (unless tyler is.. then a total of one.)

i had a really productive day today.  i went to costco, sunflower market at target.. hopefully i won’t have to go to the grocery store again until next sunday.

here’s this week’s meal plan:

• monday: birthday BBQ for jessica! chicken kebabs.
  • tuesday: lasagna.
  • wednesday: tin foil dinners on the grill.
  • thursday: mac & cheese with either chicken fingers or fish sticks.
  • friday: tacos.
  • satuday: who the hell knows.

breakfasts will be protein shakes since i can’t seem to shake the habit. lunches this week will include lots of cottage cheese, whole wheat mini pitas, spaghetti squash, deli turkey, raw veggies and hummus.  oh, and probably some leftovers.

we had dinner at my parents’ house tonight so we could celebrate father’s day.  my dad requested brats on the grill, my mom’s amazing potato salad and corn. i requested a green salad. not sure who requested the strawberry shortcake, but it was there, too, and i was happy about it.

there were 5 different kinds of brats!

i picked up these applegate brats for me and marshall.

we also had two kinds (white and wheat) buns, various condiments and 5 different mustards.

my mom’s potato salad cannot be beat. it’s definitely an indulgence.. but let’s count the pickles and onions as vegetables.. and when she throws the eggs into the mix for protein, that practically makes it health food, right? right.

my plate:

add another ear of corn to that. i could have easily eaten four ears, but i stopped at two. I LOVE CORN.

after dinner, there was some fathers day gift exchanges.

marshall got a hummingbird feeder! and yes, he is a dad. to the pups, obviously. no, i am not pregnant.

my dad is kinda hard to buy for, but he always loves books and anything harley davidson related.  marshall and i got him a harley hoodie.

time for dessert! pretty sure momma b could be a strawberry shortcake model!

i thought i was too full to have dessert.. but i managed to swipe more than a few bites.

we have always eaten strawberry shortcake with angel food cake, sliced strawberries and fresh, homemade whipped cream with lots of vanilla extract.  i have actually never tried it with biscuits, but i know that is a really popular version.

i just want to end with a shout out to my dad, wishing him a happy father’s day, even though he doesn’t read my blog.

truth be told, my dad and i were not very close when i was growing up. we are actually way better friends now than when i was younger.  even though we weren’t as close as many daddy daughter duos, a day never went by that i didn’t love my dad to the moon.  he has always been there for me, through the good times and especially through the bad. he never stopped believing in me. even when i was at the very lowest point in my life, he somehow had faith i would turn my life around and come out on top. and, what do you know, i did. thanks dad.. for always being there, for teaching me that honesty is the best policy, for always telling me it would be alright and for always reminding me to be happy every day.

i love you lots.

1. what is your customary strawberry shortcake base?

2. did you celebrate father’s day today? what did you do?

Abby June 19, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Usually when we have strawberry shortcake in my family it is fresh berries, angel food cake, and homemade whipped cream as well. Sometimes my Grandma makes the biscuit version though and it is amazing too! :) I didn’t really get to celebrate Father’s Day today but I sent cards to all of the special dads in my life!

Alex June 19, 2011 at 9:16 pm

What a lovely fathers day! Your dinner looks delicious.

Heather (Heather's Dish) June 19, 2011 at 9:26 pm

i actually really love the traditional shortbread or pound cake, but angel food cake is pretty incredible too :)

dana @ my little celebration June 19, 2011 at 9:39 pm

I didn’t get to see my dad today but I called him. And my husband and I called his dad and sang him the “God loves a terrior” song from “Best in Show” – one of his favorite movies. It was classic.

Mama Pea June 19, 2011 at 9:41 pm

I love what you said about your relationship with your dad. As a parent, I know that tough love can be so hard at times, and that it’s often not fun to be the “bad cop.” But I see that you love your dad and I bet you will even have a greater appreciation for his love as you get older and maybe become a parent yourself (I can’t wait!!!).

Love you J and Daddy B! (and Momma B Starwberry Shortcake Superstar!)

Cheri Zinzer June 19, 2011 at 9:49 pm

We always have used angel food cake as a base as well. I never even heard about using biscuits as a base until I moved to Idaho.

I spent Father’s Day thinking about my daddy who passed away ten years ago last week. He was my rock, and I still miss him SO much.

Haley June 20, 2011 at 12:29 am

The photo of you and your dad is so precious. I’m glad that you have strengthened your relationship :)

I called my dad today and will see him in a few weeks, and then I’ll properly celebrate Father’s Day with him! He said he wants a new logo for his business so I’ll probably whip one up as a present!

As for the strawberry short cake… angel food cake is definitely the way to go for me! Probably because it’s sweeter and a softer texture, so everything just melts in your mouth! It actually is a dessert that reminds me of my dad! :)

MelissaNibbles June 20, 2011 at 2:35 am

I’m glad you and your dad are close now. Looked like a great celebration :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 20, 2011 at 3:52 am

“truth be told, my dad and i were not very close when i was growing up”–

Thank you for saying that. I really appreciate that b/c sometimes reading post after post about the amazingness of everyone I am left to wonder if I was the only unique person who wasnt always bff’s with my parents. Normal teenage stuff, but yeah, you know. :)

So glad you guys have a great bond now. That’s awesome!

cathyd June 20, 2011 at 4:18 am

love a productive day! and then you got to celebrate with the family – a perfect ending.
to be honest, i’m not a fan of desserts that include fruit (except apple crisp) so i’d choose “none of the above” for strawberry shortcake! your mom’s potato salad sounds very much like my mom’s – egg included!
thanks for sharing about you and your dad – i appreciate your honesty. i would never take your dad for a harley fan, just from looking at his photo! :)
i spent lovely time with my dad on father’s day and so appreciate him.
have a great day, j!

Karen June 20, 2011 at 4:24 am

We ALWAYS have strawberry shortcake with angel food cake!! I think it’s the only way to go! The light and airy cake paired with some sweet juicy strawberries – yummo!! Looks like a great day!

Lauren June 20, 2011 at 4:50 am

Truth be told, Shortcake with angel food is better than the biscuits. Unless its pure amish shortbread. That is unlike anything I’ve ever experienced!

Glad it was a wonderful day for your Dad (and Marshall!) :)

Sarah@The Flying ONION June 20, 2011 at 5:20 am

Adorable pictures, as always! :D

My strawberry shortcake base is always a not-too-sweet biscuit. BUT, I kind of prefer it on angel food cake. There’s something absolutely delicious about angel food cake with whipped cream and strawberries. Delicious. :D

Jane June 20, 2011 at 5:46 am

I’ve always had Strawberry Shortcake with Angel Food cake too!

Seems like you had a great day (&feast) with your dad! Mine was 7,000 miles away! So I will have to make up for it!

Hope June 20, 2011 at 6:08 am

All of that food looks delicious! Looks like you had a great father’s day! :)

We traveled to Maryland to celebrate Father’s Day with Mike’s family. :)

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health June 20, 2011 at 6:15 am

Aw I love that picture of you and your dad! Corn on the cob is amazing! Whenever I’m home we probably eat it multiple times a week :)

Errign June 20, 2011 at 6:28 am

We were definitely a biscuit family. We like our angel food cake cut in half crossways, hollowed out, stuffed with ice cream and “frosted” with whipped cream. mmmmm. :)

Lisa @ I'm an Okie June 20, 2011 at 6:35 am

I feel like my relationship with my dad is the opposite. Closer growing up and then not as much now. But, like you, I know that he loves me and I love him. All that matters at this point.

2. Your mom looks GORGEOUS in that picture.

3. Angel Food Cake for sure.

4. I went to lunch with my dad for fathers day. It was the best lunch we have had in a while. He seems to be doing much better…and in a much better mood bc of that. He’s a negative nelly, so it was refreshing to see him back off of that a little.

Chels June 20, 2011 at 6:55 am

It looks as if you had a great Father’s Day full of good food…we had a wonderful afternoon enjoying a lunch by the river and walking downtown to see all the baseball action going on for the College World Series.

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) June 20, 2011 at 7:07 am

OK, you might want to reconsider coming to visit me in the fall, but…….I’ve never had strawberry shortcake!!!!!!

My bro and SIL visited us in PS for Father’s day and I gave him a card with some cat fur and partially eaten kibble taped to it. He’s the only dad in our lives now, aside from Derek. Sam & Ellie gave derek the butt for dad’s day- haha. Missed my dad but try not to focus too much on it as I see these holidays as “Hallmark Holidays” yet I awoke in tears this morning from a dream about him, so I guess it affected me.

Brats of those kinds are good brats. Brats who eat shoelaces are bad brats :-). Mama B looks AMAZING.

Oh, and one more thing: My dad and I weren’t super duper close when I was younger after ‘the divorce’- we had a fine relationship- just not very very close. It was when he got sick about 5-7 yrs ago that we got to be very very close. I was his right-hand gal with docs/helping and through it we became very very good friends. It was a blessing in that regard (and only in that regard).

Miss you! Now I need to find me some shortcake!

Erica June 20, 2011 at 8:00 am

Your meal plan for the week looks slammin! Especially the lasagna..mmmm : Happy Daddy’s day to both Marshall and your Daddy-o. Yes, fur daddys are definitely daddys. Strawberry shortcake rocks. Have you ever tried it with a scone type base? You need to- deliciousness. Plus you can cut the scone in half and shove some of the topping in the middle. We did celebrate! We went to dinner with my Dad last weekend and Josh’s Dad yesterday.

The Healthy Hostess June 20, 2011 at 8:01 am

Hi girl! Don’t think I forgot about sending you some TJs Multigrain baking mix! Things were just crazy with us moving – it will be on it’s way soon and it’s my favorite shortcake base!! You will have to let me know what you think!
Also, I am giving a cooking lesson this week and using a few of your recipes!! I will let you know how it goes!
:) ali

Janetha June 20, 2011 at 8:02 am

Oh WOMAN, don’t be sorry! I know you are so busy! You are so sweet, though, thank you!

Shannon June 20, 2011 at 9:32 am

I’m a total angel food cake fan! Especially with strawberries and whipped cream! I’ve tried strawberry shortcake with a biscuit before and I really didn’t like it… But everyone’s taste buds are different.

I celebrated Father’s Day by meeting my mom and brother in Walnut Creek, CA (a 1/2 way point for us to meet at since I’m in Sacramento and they are still in the Bay Area) and we ate an early dinner at one of his favorite restaurants called McCovey’s named after Willie McCovey, a former Giant’s baseball player. Each table has an autograph on it and we usually ask for Willie May’s table because my dad idolized him, but there was some confusion and we ended up getting Willie McCovey’s table. My dad was a big fan of his as well so we were okay with that. Next time!
I too was not close to my dad as a teenager and I got closer to him as I got older, and unfortunately he’s no longer with us, but we know he’s watching over us.

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather June 20, 2011 at 9:39 am

What a fun day filled with so much good food! I love both biscuits and angel food cake… This girl won’t turn either down ;)

Jessy June 20, 2011 at 10:16 am

I’ve never had strawberry shortcake, but it looks pretty delicious!

Father’s day is not celebrated here. However, I made my dad a banana soft serve. We’re not super close as in ”friends”, but I love him to death and he’s always ready to do anything for me.

Paige @ Running Around Normal June 20, 2011 at 11:21 am

I can NEVER stay a whole week away from a grocery store! I always forget something that’s pertinent to a specific recipe and have to go back, lol.
We cooked out for Father’s Day, too!

Molly June 20, 2011 at 11:45 am

That grilling looks awesome :)

Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers June 20, 2011 at 11:58 am

Cute post! I’m so glad I got to see my dad for Fathers Day. I haven’t had the applegate sausages yet, but I was thinking of getting some. Were they good?

Christy June 20, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Since my dad wasn’t even home, I didn’t do anything. My mom and I did see Hangover 2 though.

Marissa June 20, 2011 at 12:38 pm

I know what you mean; me and my dad really aren’t that close, but I still love him because he’s, well… my dad. Its an interesting relationship, to say the least! We had a family get-together (it was supposed to be a grill-out, but our grill was broken…) We had corn on the cob, too! And grilled, err… BAKED chicken, three bean salad, green salad, and cheesecake for dessert! Haha, my dad loved the cheesecake… he’s had 3 slices in the past 24 hours…

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 20, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I LOVE angel food cake with strawbs and whipped cream (from a can. I know. weird).

Dads are the best!!! We ate salad, bread, chicken, yams, corn. YUMM.

Susan June 20, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I totally relate to everything you wrote about your relationship with your dad. I love mine so so much and each day I realize more what a special guy he is!

I don’t think I’ve ever had strawberry shortcake!

Have fun at the BBQ tonight!

LauraJayne June 20, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I love all permutations of strawberry shortcake – but we always eat it with whole wheat biscuits because it is the perfect no-sugar added dessert!

Megan (Braise The Roof) June 20, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Yum, brats! I went to a bbq over the weekend and there were no more brats left by the time I got there! Boo! PS, when you said that Marshall got a father’s day present my mind went immediately to the dogs, not thinking you were preggo. Haha, go figure! :)

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 20, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I’m not going to lie… I totally thought Marshall was holding a bong :)

Strawberry shortcake is best with biscuits! Angel food cake is good too, but it doesn’t compare to biscuits.

The Delicate Place June 20, 2011 at 5:08 pm

mmmm brats! my mother in law and some of nate’s sibs are staying with us this upcoming weekend and i might be grilling a few of those! i went to lunch with my parents and we talked for like 3 hours in the restaurant haha. it was a nice time and i gave him his fave chocolates and salt water taffy.

fittingbackin June 20, 2011 at 5:25 pm

I’ve never had strawberry shortcake! true story.

we went to the lake and celebrated with Austin’s side of the family!

Those brats look great – and YES she could be a model – so cute!

Pure2raw twins June 20, 2011 at 7:02 pm

looked like a fun time! love strawberry shortcake with angel food cake…I used to be so obsessed with angel food cake, haha, so good

and thanks for the sweet comment on our blog…talk soon :)

xoxo

Naomi June 20, 2011 at 7:52 pm

i LOVE strawb shortcake!! usually the base is the angel food cake stuff but I much prefer the biscuit…oh so buttery and delicious! you and your dad are super cute! happy fathers day to him and marshall (bc of the pups of course :) )

xoxo

Stephanie @cookinfanatic June 20, 2011 at 8:19 pm

I’ve never tried strawberry shortcake with biscuits either? But that looks deeeelicious! We always used angel food cake too :)

BroccoliHut June 20, 2011 at 8:30 pm

We always used angel food cake too! Yum, yum.
Sadly, I did not celebrate Father’s Day yesterday–living in a different state really sucks sometimes.

holly June 27, 2011 at 9:47 am

ummmm harley davidson headquarters is in milwaukee. you want harley davidson gear? you let me know. i will happily deliver the goods to daddy b anytime!!