try something new: take a bike on the frontrunner.

by Janetha on June 18, 2011

in moves

hola!

this weekend is just bursting with new things. after publishing my pizza post, marshall and i geared up to head to salt lake city with our bikes.

we live about 10 miles from downtown SLC. there is a train called the frontrunner that has a station really close to our house and ends up right downtown.  i usually drive everywhere i go, but we wanted to take our bikes out and about in the city.. so we rode over to the frontrunner station.

i had never taken the frontrunner train period, let alone with a bike. i thought it would be a hassle, but it actually was a breeze.

step 1: tickets.

IMG_1246IMG_1252

step 2: wait for the train.

helmet head! helmets make me kinda claustro, but they are a good idea.

double helmet heads.

i am still waiting for my custom made messenger bag to arrive.. but in the meantime i have a super sweet houndstooth fanny pack. turns out it is actually really handy!

step 3: all aboard!

it was a quick trip.  the stop near our house is the last stop before the train ends up in the city, so there was no stop and go or anything like that.

once we hopped off the train, we were on a mission.  we purchased a groupon for season passes to a local water park and they had to be redeemed by today.  yes, i wait until the last minute to do everything.  the water park was about twenty blocks from the train station.

at first we were in a dodgy part of town… but it was broad daylight, so i wasn’t too worried about getting abducted or anything.

we made it to the water park and snagged our season passes. unfortunately, the park was just purchased by some mormon folks and it’s not open on sundays anymore. since the only days i can go to a water park is saturday or sunday.. i guess it’ll just be saturdays.  however, the pass for the whole season was only $39, so even if we only go a few times, we will get our moneys worth.

good talk!

after the water park, we decided to ride to kristen + rory’s house to drop off a congratulatory massage gift card to kristen. she finished the ragnar relay race today! i am the proudest best friend around. we were going to see her at the finish line, but realized it would probably be a debacle.  good job, kristen! you’re a champion.

after swinging by their house (nobody was home) we decided that iced coffee would be a good idea.. so it was back on the bikes!

i got pretty brave and took some photos while biking. good thing i had my helmet on in case of a crash.

we made our way to bruge’s and carlucci’s where we got iced coffee and marshall got a cinnamon waffle (the same one he got last saturday.)

IMG_1266IMG_1268IMG_1265

coffee ice cubes!

here’s a closeup of my sweet fanny pack. i love the subtle houndstooth.

we decided to head back home, but not before grabbing some opah from the fish market. it was a short ride to the train station—we had basically done a giant loop around the city.

back on the train!

we got caught at the train tracks on our way from the station to our house. this is seriously the story of my life.. always stuck at the train tracks! i am always late for work because of this.

we made it home—it was a 4 hour trip all together. it was a lot of fun! now that i know how simple it is to get downtown with our bikes, i think we will be doing this more often.  it’s a lot more fun than driving and it is a great way to stay active.

we are grilling up the opah now.. i am so dang hungry after all that biking.  hope everyone has a great night and a fun sunday tomorrow! happy father’s day to all the dads!

1. what is your city/town’s mass transit like? utah is getting more mass transit friendly—but we are nowhere near places like chicago or london (the two places i have been that are awesome when it comes to mass transit). maybe one day we will get there. until then.. i sure am glad i have a car. everything in utah is super spread out and there are really steep hills all over.

2. what was your workout today? (if you had one) aside from all that bike riding, i did my insanity fit test. the final one! can’t wait to share my results.

Erica June 18, 2011 at 8:24 pm

What a fun day! Josh and i so want bikes. And now i totally want an iced coffee too. Charleston really has no mass transit, but i think itd be tough to do with all the water. Today, i took body step, did a little elliptical and went for a long walk with josh

Abby June 18, 2011 at 8:24 pm

I love your bike! :) We don’t have mass transit. I think there are two cabs for the whole town and they are flippin’ scary drivers! lol. Today was my rest day so I soaked up being lazy.

Lee June 18, 2011 at 8:24 pm

We have a subway called MARTA but it sucks. It doesn’t really go anywhere but the airport. Honestly, I use it about twice a year.

I lifted weights this morning.

Maxine June 18, 2011 at 8:25 pm

I live in Vancouver, BC, and we probably pay the most for gas in Canada, and possibly North America, so we are very fortunate to have access to excellent transit, from buses to trains. I think what is even better is the network of bike lanes. One one bridge, they even got rid of one lane of traffic to make it safer for people to bike across. It is very inspiring to see people use transit and the bike lanes to get around.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 18, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Living in Chicago in my early/mid 20s I can concur and say that yes, chicago has awesome public transpo.

San Diego? No. Not really much at all. I mean I dont ride the bus, and there are a few coasters but they are limited. Very limited and so I never take them.

Workout = run + yoga :) 45 mins total

Heather (veganunderwear) June 18, 2011 at 8:33 pm

I saw some of those photos on instagram (I’m veganunderwear on there too) so it’s great to hear the story behind them! sounds like you had a really fun day. :D

Lauren @ Sugar Coated Sisters June 18, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Our mass transit is all over the place. Nobody takes the light rail around San Jose. If you’re traveling around the bay, there’s BART. And if you’re on the west side of the Bay, you might use caltrain.

Just recently there were 3 suicides on the caltrain tracks in the span of 9 days!! It’s really tragic to begin with and a ton of Bay Area commuters suffer from stopped trains.

I love biking and public transportation. When I studied abroad in London, I refused to take a taxi the entire 2 months I was there. So what if you take an owl bus late at night in a sketchy part of town?

Work out today was super random… blah blah at the gym blah blah… can’t wait to read your insanity review! I bet you’ll be brutally honest about it.

Love the fanny pack too!

Janetha June 19, 2011 at 12:10 pm

That is HORRIBLE! How sad. I, too, studied abroad in London and never took a cab once!

Kenley June 18, 2011 at 9:26 pm

I live in LA and public transportation has LOTS of room for improvement. You can only get few places on the metro, which is a shame because there is always traffic. I’d love to be able to to take public transportation everywhere.

I did a 10 mile run and swam just shy of a mile. Next Sunday I am doing the Golden Gate triathlon in San Francisco. Can’t wait!

Janetha June 19, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Good luck on the tri! You will kill it!

Lauren June 18, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Iced coffee with coffee iced cubes sounds like a genius idea! I live in my college town, and it’s really good with transportation. It’s big for my state but small compared to most cities, and it’s very walkable or bikeable, and there’s buses that go all around (free for college students too!). Most of the time, I would rather bike/walk/run around than drive.

Blondy Magee June 18, 2011 at 9:29 pm

What a fun day. I could have used a fanny pack today. Too bad I don’t have one. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health June 18, 2011 at 9:55 pm

In Columbus, OH there is virtually no mass transit- except for some buses…so a car is a definite must! I didn’t workout today, it was my rest day..and my body totally needed it haha. You’re bike outing sounds like so much fun!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) June 18, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Love the fact that Marshall has a real bicycling helmet and you have a Boarder’s helmet (did the bike shop ok this??) And Marshall is bursting out of his t-shirt. Hmm. Not fair, but I’m happy for him! Yah, think I’ll eat a gallon of ice cream and go throw some weight around and become Arnold Schwartz. (minus the skanky mistress, naturally)

Janetha June 18, 2011 at 10:18 pm

It’s a bike helmet! It’s just cuter. I don’t wear a snowboarding helmet… Although that one did come with an ear warming attachment, so maybe I’ll have to use it next season. Ugh I know. Damn him and his muscle building abilities.

kat June 18, 2011 at 10:27 pm

your husband is hot!

there, i said it.

Janetha June 19, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Agreed!

momma b. June 18, 2011 at 11:17 pm

What a fun excursion! I barely rode front runner myself…..
I spent 4 hours shopping and walking.

Maybe I will ride my bike to town with you one day!

xo

kris (everyday oats) June 18, 2011 at 11:37 pm

what a fun day! I wish the city I live in is more biker friendly. I stopped biking on major roads after a near head on collision with a ford mustang. (and I was on the sidewalk!) They lost control and hit the curb where my sister and I were biking by and their tire+hubcap flew off over my sisters head and they skidded down the road about 50 ft.

love your helmet btw. It’s super cute!

Janetha June 19, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Holy shit! Glad you are OK!

Missy June 19, 2011 at 12:30 am

Seattle has a great mass transit system, I take it everyday. We have a pretty big biking community too. I ride to work May-October, I’m a fair weather rider (it’s the California girl in me). Question about your helmet, right now Im really looking into getting a Bern, how do they breathe, does your head get hot? That’s my main concern with it but I love the fit and look.
Thanks

Janetha June 19, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I have never worn another helmet so I don’t know what to compare it to.. but I like it. My forehead got real sweaty but I blame that on my bangs. It was just way too steezy to not buy, in my opinion!

cathyd June 19, 2011 at 4:00 am

what a super fun day! proud of you for “trying something new” by doing the biking and transit thing. what a wonderful day.
our local gov’t just approved funding for a “light rail” transit system to be built. right now. we have walkable/bikeable trails near me, but i would not want to bike on the roads a lot – not that user-friendly.
stairmaster and weights for me yesterday!
happy father’s day to your dad!

Janetha June 19, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I love reading about your 41 new things!

lindsay June 19, 2011 at 4:43 am

now thats an adventure! very cool. Where can i get ma fanny pack like that? haha.
;)

Lauren June 19, 2011 at 5:42 am

I so wish I lived in a city that allowed us to bike around like this. What a wonderful day!!! You look adorable in that helmet by the way! :)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine June 19, 2011 at 5:58 am

NYC arguably has the best mass transit system in the country. I still get frustrated with it sometimes, though- it’s a pain when you really need to get somewhere and a train is late!

Trisha June 19, 2011 at 7:38 am

While I live in Salt Lake going to the U I ride Trax all the time! To school and other things. We get a free pass, which is pretty convenient!

Tiffany @ Simply Shaka June 19, 2011 at 8:06 am

I love that you’re rockin the houndstooth fanny pack! Sounds like an awesome day. The drivers in Charlotte are insane so that is the one thing stopping me from biking.

Pure2raw twins June 19, 2011 at 8:49 am

that bike ride adventure would be something my fiance would love to do :) I have yet to work out today…but plan to – thinking jump rope cardio day!

Christy June 19, 2011 at 9:33 am

I love biking! I try to bike to stores if I can as much as possible.

Heather (Heather's Dish) June 19, 2011 at 10:14 am

i kind of love your fanny pack. a lot :)

denver mass transit is OK, they have tons of buses and HOV lanes and stuff, but i would love it if they had some kind of high-speed rail from the suburbs to boulder and to denver…that would make things so easy!

Karen June 19, 2011 at 11:47 am

It looks like you had a fun day on your bikes. Despite living near the capital of PA, our city’s mass transit system is limited to bus transportation only. Certain parts of the city are bike friendly though.

Holly June 19, 2011 at 1:42 pm

That sounds so fun! I have been wanting a bike for a while, but just haven’t taken the initiative to purchase one.
& you totally can make a fanny pack cool! – love the houndstooth. :)
Hope you are having a great Father’s day with your family!!
xoxo

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 19, 2011 at 1:51 pm

OKay seriously the coolest day! What fun :) I love spending time outside in the SUmmer! woot.

Susan June 19, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Gaaaah, city riding scares me! I’ve had some bad incidents in traffic. Although, I’ve always been on a road bike which isn’t really cut out for city riding anyways. Especially when your feet are locked into the pedals.

Mass transit in Moncton sucks. But it’s a small city, so there just isn’t the population for anything better. I thought Toronto’s mass transit was awesome until I spent hours on it every day and it killed my soul.

Workout today was intervals on three different kinds of ellipticals. Ellipticizing is one of the few things I can do these days, so I have to change machines all the time so I don’t get bored!

<3 !

ilovefetacheese June 19, 2011 at 4:00 pm

wowwww the mountains in the background are incredible!!

BroccoliHut June 19, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Raleigh is pretty terrible when it comes to mass transit. EVERYONE drives everywhere, causing some pretty wicked traffic. There are lots of good bike trails though:)
My workout today was a 1.5 hour walk with Miss Margot. She is snoozing in my lap as I type this!

Errign June 19, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Well, my hometown has no transit of any kind. Seriously, I think we have one taxi. Asheville has buses and taxis, though I’ve not attempted either yet, since I can walk to the important stuff (school, whole foods) for the most part.

My workout today was a treadmill run. 3.45 miles while there was a break in the sort of scary NC thunder & lightning.

Salah (My Healthiest Lifestyle) June 19, 2011 at 8:26 pm

what a fun day!!! Those coffee ice cubes look great!

Emily June 20, 2011 at 9:58 am

How did Kristen do on Ragnar? That is so awesome! I just found out my friend Jenny raced, too. Now I am jealous. However, the thought of being in a van for 24 hrs, minus the running is completely frightening.

Janetha June 22, 2011 at 11:44 am

She did AWESOME! 10 minute miles the whole time! I am so proud of her. Um yeah.. it does not sound fun.. but she is trying to get me to do it next year. Vomit.

Suzanne June 20, 2011 at 11:08 pm

You know what? That helmet highlights what an adorable nose you have! :)

Janetha June 22, 2011 at 11:44 am

haha. you are too sweet :)