bikes, brother, birthdays, BBQ.

by Janetha on June 4, 2011

in family time

lots of B’s!

last night was my brother doug’s 31st birthday! i love that our birthdays are just days apart.

doug was having a birthday BBQ at his house, so marshall and i decided to ride our bikes to the party.  his house is about four miles from mine, but it is all uphill. oy.

the journey took us just over a half hour.  it was HOT.  i was carrying a backpack and wearing my helmet and i had jeans on.  note to self: shorts next time.  when we got to doug’s house, i had to blow dry my sweat-soaked bangs and change into one of my sister in law’s t-shirts! once i was all cleaned up, the fun began.  because we all know the fun doesn’t begin until i am there, right? ha. right.

doug and linds have a huge, beautiful yard and it’s always fun for parties. you might remember his 30th birthday last year when we had a similar celebration.

IMG_8785IMG_8783IMG_8786

lots of family and friends were there… and an extra lot of KIDDOS running around. birth control times ten.  kids are cute.. but i prefer them not to be mine.

my nephew ben is always ready for his close up!

the birthday boy was manning the grill.

there was a delicious spread of various salads and fruit. i made danica’s harvest grain salad again because it was such a hit at my own birthday party. it’s SO good, maybe even better the second time around.

IMG_8730IMG_8723IMG_8725IMG_8726

marshall must have worked up an appetite on the bike ride up the hill.. he didn’t waste any time grabbing a burger.

i was super hungry, too, since my lunch had been a simply bar

my sister made the greek salad on the left and it was phenomenal.

nothing screams “summer” to me more than a burger hot off the grill.

i also ate my weight in watermelon and cantaloupe after polishing off my plate. watermelon is another one of those “IT’S SUMMER!” foods for me.

hang time..

my niece iz with her daddy’s shoes on

marshall + momma b

my sister and her little fam, minus a couple boys.

there was homemade root beer. ben wanted in on that business!

i took a photo of my blue shoes.. because i love them and it was easier than taking a photo of myself.

my dad + nephew greyson

what’s cuter than these little girls eating pickles? not quite sure.

IMG_8792IMG_8793IMG_8798

the big boys were skating on the ramp. i am not quite that skilled.

IMG_8802IMG_8800IMG_8799

marshall hates photos. hates them.  have i ever mentioned that? well, he does. hates them so much that he always makes faces. oh well.. you can’t win them all.

for dessert, there were popsicles! no need for cake. after a rousing rendition of “happy birthday”, izzy passed out the popsicles. it was a very important job for her!

IMG_8807IMG_8810IMG_8812

marshall is just one of the kids in a slightly larger body.

after the party, we geared up for our bike ride home.

all downhill! much easier going down than biking up.

well.. that’s all for now. it’s a gorgeous day today and i want to get back outside! i ran a race this morning and i am about to go lay in the sun in my backyard. cleaning and laundry can wait, right? of course right.

1. what food(s) scream “SUMMER!” to you? watermelon, sweet corn and basically anything hot off the grill screams summer to me. also, foods cooked over a campfire. i cannot wait to go camping!

2. what is your favorite popsicle flavor? mine is peach with root beer as a runner up.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 4, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Watermelon is one of those summer foods for me too! I was just outside for about 1.5 hours, but it was so so hot. I came back inside. :)

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun June 4, 2011 at 1:08 pm

I’m with you on watermelon and burgers screaming summer. Cook out food is all about summer.

melissa @ the delicate place June 4, 2011 at 1:13 pm

wow i would have been dying with jeans on. i feel like im dripping sweat by the time i get into work in the morning as it is let alone actually biking. (i walk to the bus and then .5mi uphill to the lab). ‘birth control x10′ um yes. haha! i want to be the crazy aunt for sure! i saw a recipe on evan’s site with watermelon + basil and i have to try it! never had that combo but i love me some melon! i love burgers too, there’s something amazing about the char that you just cannot capture unless it’s cooked outside over a fire! that’s a really cute pic of M with the kiddos! i don’t like popsicles! the sweet flavored water thing never caught on…however if it’s a creamy iced treat (novelty or ice cream) i can get behind that!

Janetha June 4, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I saw that on Evan’s site! Last summer I made a watermelon, basil, mint and feta salad. It was amazing.

I am all about ice cream bars, too! Way better than popsicles!

Eden June 4, 2011 at 1:23 pm

lots of “b’s” indeed!
I love your blue shoes! did you lace them up yourself? you know me, I cant never do that properly ;)
And I’m crazy jealous of that bike! I wish LA roads weren’t in such bad shape cause I’d love to ride more often. California is in major debt so we’re gonna have pot holes in the roads for a while. Ok, enough complaining.

You know what screams summer to me? Little kids out late cause its not a “school” night.

Erica June 4, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Looks like an AWESOME party ;). Being around a ton of kids is always good birth control. We went to frozen yogurt last night and there were literally 40 kids in the place…I was like what have we gotten ourselves into haha- jk of course :) The food looks delicious. I heart greek salad and now I’m craving one (and can’t have feta- darn it!). I love that they had Popsicles instead of cake- I’m not a cake girl.

1. what food(s) scream “SUMMER!” to you? MELON, corn on the cob for sure, anything grilled, ice cream or frozen yogurt

2. what is your favorite popsicle flavor? root beer or lemon

Janetha June 4, 2011 at 2:02 pm

haha oh no! at least you are only having one and not 3 or 4 at once ;) i think you will be A-OK!

got your card just now! laughed lots. thank you, sweetheart!

Cara @ EAT. PRAY. RUN. June 4, 2011 at 1:56 pm

A burger and watermelon are quite the perfect kickoff to summer! My fave summer foods are cherries, watermelon and SMOOTHIES!

Janetha June 4, 2011 at 2:02 pm

i am with you on the smoothies! i have had one for breakfast every day this week!

Mariah@Apples"N"Oats June 4, 2011 at 2:14 pm

ben is such a cutie!!Glad you had a great time with the fam!
oh and watermelon and strawberries/blueberries are summertime staples for me!

katie June 4, 2011 at 2:27 pm

omg, frame that pic of marshall on the swing with the kids, that is hilarious and cute at the same time! Love it!!

I love the pics of all the cute kiddos! How sweet! I do want another one, but then sometimes, Im like,, hell no! lol! I am sure Mike and I will in the future!

Love you! Ummmm congrats on the race?! How did I miss that you ran a race?! Congrats love!

Love u! Enjoy your day!!!

Janetha June 4, 2011 at 2:34 pm

haha you didn’t miss it. i didn’t even mention it! i will be talking about it soon, though.

you and mike will have the cutest kids.. oh, two gorgeous people!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) June 4, 2011 at 2:30 pm

what food(s) scream “SUMMER!” to you? = watermelon! I just bought 3 watermelons in the past 3 weeks and have been loving them.

As well as cold iced coffees.

I love all your family pics, Janetha! Such a wonderful, awesome family and friends that you have…I love your posts like this b/c they leave me all warm ‘n fuzzy :)

tea-bag June 4, 2011 at 3:54 pm

what a great party! i love that there was no cake, too, popsicles are a must for hot summer days.
my summer foods: watermelon, peaches, strawberries! i loooooove summer fruits! :)

Amber Faye @ One "Faye" At A Time June 4, 2011 at 4:24 pm

OMG I love that picture of Marshall with all the kids, so funny! And Ben is pretty much the cutest little guy ever!
I think kids have the opposite effect on me.. I love them and seeing kids makes me want them even more. :) I’m TOTALLY baby hungry!
Love your matching shoes and helmet! haha!

Lindsey June 4, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Fresh pineapple and melons are all SUMMER! foods to me.

Coconut popsicles are delish…I love the storebought ones, and I also like homemade ones, using coconut water. Mmm!

cathy June 4, 2011 at 5:28 pm

what a great family event! love your photos.
my brother dislikes photos, too, and always makes a face. that is a fantastic photo of marshall + the kids, though. and the one with momma b.
summer foods: melon; berries; corn; bbq’d anything; ice cream.
popsicles: banana is best, chocolate is second best.
enjoy the rest of your saturday, j!

Janine June 4, 2011 at 5:42 pm

hey, just sayin im fully jealous of that mini you have set up in the back!!! hahaha thats awesome!
summer food for me is def taco salad. Avocado, artisan tostitos, catalina dressing, sour cream, salsa, ground meat, lettuce and CHEEESEEE!
FAV popsicle is cream soda flavour. And fortunately its really easy to DIY with popsicles :) !

Christin@purplebirdblog June 4, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Summer foods are definitely watermelon, Rainier cherries, grilled corn, and definitely burgers! I love orange popsicles best. :)

Tiffany @ Simply Shaka June 4, 2011 at 6:36 pm

OMG I want Ben!

BroccoliHut June 4, 2011 at 7:56 pm

I ate all my summer foods last weekend for Memorial Day: watermelon, strawberries, corn on the cob (LOTS), and Mom’s baked beans.
As for popsicle flavors…do Fudgesicles count??

Lenna June 4, 2011 at 11:32 pm

There is really nothing more summery than a watermelon!! And fresh cucumbers, maybe:)
Your nephew and nices are seriously the cutest kids ever! :) Glad you enjoyed the birthday party. And belated happy birthday to you brother!

MelissaNibbles June 5, 2011 at 4:28 am

My favorite popsicle flavor is red flavor.

Amy @ Love4Living June 5, 2011 at 5:27 am

I totally just laughed out loud when you said “kids are cute.. but i prefer them not to be mine..”
I am so honest to others around me about my not wanting children (ever in my case) and me being so young, I always get the crooked head glance. What you said is actually what I say haha.

Paige @ Running Around Normal June 5, 2011 at 7:46 am

Gosh, look at all that LOVE in one backyard. I always say this, but you have such a great family :)
Corn on the cob screams summer to me!

Danica June 5, 2011 at 8:25 am

You seriously have the cutest family. Love the new blue shoes, that salad all the pics and you!

XOXO!

Pure2raw twins June 5, 2011 at 8:50 am

what a beautiful family!! looked like a wonderful time, love that marshall is still a kid :)

holly June 5, 2011 at 9:58 am

janetha bean! SO much birthday fun you have had in the past week – so glad you had a good birthday and so glad dougie b did too! as always, the pics of your nieces and nephews are my fave (the food looked good too, i swear!), and i want to eat ben with a spoon. the chubbier the baby, the more likely i am to want to eat them. just sayin.

happy sunday love!!

Susan June 5, 2011 at 12:05 pm

The kids in your family are precious. I wish they made that Minnie Mouse shirt in my size!

SJ June 5, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I have bike envy :D Anything BBQ’d screams summer to me… x

Katie June 5, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I’m a sucker for an alliteration…love your title. :-) Looks like you had a fun day with your family…hope you’re out enjoying your sunday, too!

sarah (sarah learns) June 5, 2011 at 1:21 pm

i love your matching blue helmet & shoes! :) it looks like it was a great party!

my favorite summer foods are corn on the cob, cherries (!!), and strawberries!

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 5, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Watermelon screams Summer to me!!! LOVE it.

I like orange or purple(grape)popsicles!

Jessica Lee June 5, 2011 at 4:37 pm

girlfriend, i feel like you are always going to or hosting a party or bbq. haha. time to celebrate!!

ya biking uphill is DEATH. i’d rather run uphill ( i think ).

Susan June 5, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Bahahaha, that picture of Marshall with the kids is priceless.

My dad bikes to work and he has to shower at his office’s gym then change into one of the clean suits he keeps in his office. THEN he sometimes does a noon-hour spin class. Crazy.

Oh, and orange popsicles all the way. Happy belated to your bro!!

Carbzilla June 5, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Fun! My fave flavor is lime or root beer.

Remind me if we come visit we’ll have to hit the ramp – Chris used to compete in skateboarding, and he loves every chance to get back on the board!

Lordy, I don’t know how you went all uphill after such a teensy lunch. I would have been seeing stars. Glad you had such a fun weekend!!!

Carla in Sydney June 5, 2011 at 9:20 pm

That pic of Marshall with all the kids is so cool…I love it!

Also love how your helmet is the same color as your shoes! :-)

Megan (Braise The Roof) June 6, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Your little nephew Ben is SO FREAKIN’ CUTE. I am the opposite- I can’t wait to have kids. I should probably find someone who wants to have them with me, huh? ;)

Sami June 6, 2011 at 1:28 pm

what a cute buncha kiddos!

Holly June 10, 2011 at 10:17 am

You have the CUTEST family! I love the pickle shot- adorable :)
I love that you all get together for birthdays, & holidays. Sometimes it’s hard to get all of my family together, as we are scattered all over the country…like CA to NY to FL..crazy!