busy little saturday.

by Janetha on May 23, 2011

in dogs,eating out,fun with friends

here i am! one more monday down.. the last working monday in may, actually. i cannot believe how fast this year is flying by.

as i mentioned, my weekend was jam packed. you already heard about my date night on friday.. so i will dive right into saturday.

the excitement started bright and early when marshall & i loaded up the pups and headed out to strut your mutt.  strut your mutt is an annual fundraising event.  all proceeds go to no more homeless pets of utah.  we weren’t able to go last year, but we did go in 2009.

marshall always walks penny and i always walk randy. this has 100% to do with the fact that penny has a huge crush on marshall and cries her little puppy eyes out if she is more than 3 feet from him at any given time.

don’t believe me? watch this video of her crying when marshall had to run ahead to get a trash bag (because randy dropped a deuce before even entering the park. he’s a joy.)

yeah. total baby.

there were SO many dogs. actually, the term “SO many” doesn’t even describe how many there were. naturally, i was in heaven. there was actually an abnormal amount of basset hounds.. i was surprised.

we registered upon arrival and then headed to the expo. yes, an expo. for dogs.

we snagged a few pupcakes for p & r.

IMG_3274 IMG_3272

before we knew it, it was time to strut!

the course was about a mile.. pretty strenuous if you are a basset hound.

it was so fun to walk with SO many other dogs.

i sort of think dog watching is even better than people watching.

water break!

IMG_3305 IMG_3308

obligatory family photo post-strut.

it was a fun morning and was for a good cause.. we will definitely be back next year. and the one after that. and the one after that.

a few hours later, marshall & i headed out to salt lake sans pups. we had a very special purchase to make, but needed fuel first.

toasters is a new-to-us sandwich shop right downtown on 300 south and 50 east.  it was such a nice day, so we ate outside.

i had an iced americano with soy milk.

i chose the turkey avocado on whole wheat ciabatta. go figure, i always get the turkey avocado.

what made this sandwich special was the balsamic sauce.. it was SO incredible. it took the sandwich to a whole other level.

marshall had the prosciutto sandwich, which also had the balsamic sauce. again, the sauce is what made it SO good.

we made friends with a cute dog that kept begging for chips.

he had some pretty impressive tricks!

after our meal, we went and made aforementioned very important purchase. said purchase won’t be here for 5 to 7 business days, so i will blog about it later.

we then met up with some friends for some festival action. we had not one but TWO festivals on the agenda.

first up was the urban arts festival.

this was the first year they have held this festival so it was pretty tiny. it was fun to check out the local artwork, but there wasn’t much going on so we didn’t stay long.

next up was the living traditions festival.

this festival is a celebration of authentic and traditional folk and ethnic arts.. but really, it’s a whole lot of different ethnicities of food in one spot. the only reason we went was for dinner, as the rest of the festival was kinda meh.

it’s all about the food anyway, right? i waited in the vietnamese line because they were churning out some amazing looking chicken kebabs.

by the time i got to the front of the mile-long line, they informed me they were out of kebabs! ugh. i settled for a chicken bowl over vermicelli noodles.

this was actually really delicious! i wasn’t so sad about missing out on the kebab afterall.

marshall channeled his heritage and got some mexican.

we all sat on the curb and ate our selections. it’s fun that we could all get such different cuisines all in one place. plus, the food was tasty and authentic!

after filling our bellies, we went back to kristen’s porch and enjoyed the warm evening outdoors. i wish summer would get here already.. but it was cold and rainy again sunday. oh well, i will take what i can get when it comes to sunshine!

thanks for reading such a long post.. when there are 3 events in one day, it’s bound to take awhile to talk about!

Q~

what was the highlight of your weekend?

withasideofhope May 24, 2011 at 5:17 am

What a fun weekend! I love the strutt your mutt event! That looks like so much fun! :) Penny and randy are the cutest! :) That turkey and avocado sandwich looks delicious! I totally would have ordered the same thing! I love avocado :)

Erica May 24, 2011 at 5:28 am

My Mom has been to the mutt strut down in SC! What a fun event! I would go gaga over all the pupperes :) I agree- dog watching is even better than people watching :) SO cute that Penny has a crush on Marshall!! Your sandwich looks fantastic. You guys just have so many cool events out there. Highlight of our weekend? Watching Josh’s sister graduate!

Nicole @ Fresh & Fit May 24, 2011 at 5:32 am

What a fun event! I wish they had something like that around where I lived. My pup gets so excited when other dogs are around. Love the doggie cupcakes too!

And dog watching is just as good, if not better that people watching…definitely!

Freckled Foodie May 24, 2011 at 6:14 am

i’ve never had rice noodles…but you’ve got me curious! penny & randy are such cute pups. glad you got to spoil them a bit this weekend!

xo.

Errign May 24, 2011 at 6:39 am

My weekend was lazy…just the way I like it! It was nice to relax after the end of the semester. I wish we had festivals and stuff here, but NH is lame :)

I played the Penny video and my mom’s dog lost.his.mind. and started copying her haha.

Michelle May 24, 2011 at 7:14 am

Haha, love the title “Strut your Mutt”. So cute! Sounds like a fun weekend :-)

My weekend was super low key, which was so nice. I’ll be traveling the next two weekends so it’s nice to take it easy.

PS… I usually go for turkey and avocado too. I love that combo!

brandi May 24, 2011 at 7:21 am

all these pup pictures are killing me! so cute :)

Kim @ Imperfectly Perfect May 24, 2011 at 8:14 am

Looks like you had a wonderful day! I’m happy the weather held up for you. Saturday was beautiful in NY too. We’ve had a bunch of CRUMMY weather lately. I think the highlight of my weekend was actually soaking in some of the sunshine as I explored my new town.

todayilovemylife May 24, 2011 at 8:22 am

I planted my flower pots this weekend. Highlight. I know. I’m like 80 years old. I heard the living traditions festival has AMAZING food. xoxo

natalie (the sweets life) May 24, 2011 at 9:20 am

I LOVE balsamic on sandwiches–just made paninis the other day (tomato, mozz, basil, & prosciutto) with the addition of balsamic and it was awesome!

ps. is your words with friends name janetha? i tried to start a game with you and you denied me! :) (ngorski0821)

Beth (Well I'll Be) May 24, 2011 at 11:04 am

How cute is strut your mutt! I love dog watching too.

actorsdiet May 24, 2011 at 11:18 am

i love dog events. julius and i are long overdue for one

Sabrina Costello May 24, 2011 at 11:33 am

Hey I was at the Urban Arts Festival with SLUG! I didn’t see you guys :

emily (a nutritionist eats) May 24, 2011 at 11:40 am

I love it when fundraisers like that are all about people being outside and moving! Win-win for everyone involved!

LauraJayne May 24, 2011 at 11:41 am

I haven’t tried Toaster’s yet – I’m always a little afraid of sandwich places because I’m such a baby about whole wheat bread options! Looks like I missed out on a lot of fun while having a working Saturday and a Payson-filled Sunday! I think it’s time for a Park City weekend this next weekend though!

McIntosh May 24, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Love the Strut your Mutt! I dogwalk/petsit as basically “my job” though it just morphed into that until suddenly I was making enough money to not work elsewhere. Exercise, animals and fabulous “getaways’ in amazing houses!

Had to laugh about Penny whining…I walk a dog that sometimes refuses to leave her owners side or goes out, pees and runs back to the house.

No bassets though 9: Lots of goldens, terriers, collies and of course mutts…

One last thing (sorry!). Just saw a Seinfeld repeat about an old lady buying the last marble rye bread in front of jerry and then he mugs her for it. Reminded me of your chicken kebab saga :)
Highlight of the weekend: Two warm, sunny days in a row…finally

Katie May 24, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I’m impressed, tackling all of those fun events and squeezing them into one day! I love all the puppy pictures, too. :-)

Tessa May 24, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Ah! That dog looks JUST like my sisters dog who is a mutt! I wish I could post a pic. Do you have any idea what kind of dog that was?

janetha May 24, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Yep– a mutt! We asked the owner.

Sent from my iPhone

IHeartVegetables May 24, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Aw that looks so fun!!! My friend just got a lab/shepherd mix and it’s SO adorable. It’s making me want a furry friend ;)

CH May 24, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Bwahaha, I love it in the video when you say “he’ll be right back” and for a second I thought Penny was going to listen buuutttttt she just keeps on whining. :) At least she’s cute though!

Susan May 24, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Awwwww, Penny!!! She is what my family would call a “traitor” dog. A dog that clearly is infatuated with someone other than their “master” :P Also, I love the idea of the strut your mutt event!! Maybe I should organize one in Moncton. I much rather watch dogs than people any day. Just today I was at a rugby game and spent the whole time cooing over an adorable black miniature poodle that was there instead of watching the game. I wanted to steal it.