flashback friday: seattle.

by Janetha on May 20, 2011

in eating out,travel

hey there!

friday already? this week flew by for me because i was traveling home on monday and practically bed-ridden tuesday and wednesday. while i like that the week went by fast, i don’t like how sick i was.. so i would much rather have my health and work a full week.

it has been raining here in utah all. week. long. buckets and buckets!

partially because i am still a little sick and partially because of the rain, i went to my favorite soup restaurant for lunch.

the soup kitchen is one of my favorite places for lunch. or dinner, for that matter, but i typically only eat there for lunch. fun fact: once when i was 18, i ate at the soup kitchen 24 times in one month. i was addicted! i got the same thing every time: a grilled cheese on jack sprat sprouted wheat bread with american cheese and a bowl of tomato soup. if you ever come visit me in SLC, i am taking you to the soup kitchen and making you order that very thing.

today’s fare was a little more protein packed. i haven’t eaten a lick of protein these past 3 days, so i decided i better start if i want my hard earned muscle to stick around. i went with a turkey sandwich on jack sprat sprouted wheat with mustard, lettuce and tomato. their turkey isn’t like lunch meat deli turkey.. it is like freshly carved thanksgiving turkey. LOVE that.

i also got a cup of chicken noodle. the noodles are what make this soup so great! they are plump and delicious.

the soup kitchen also has the doughiest breadsticks that come in wheat, cheese and garlic. i could probably live off these breadsticks alone. and maybe some soup to dip them in…

anyway, enough about soup! let’s talk some more about the rain. it’s pretty gnarly here this week. i am used to lots of snow, but lots of rain isn’t the norm. it reminds me of london or seattle.. two of my favorite places in the world, actually, despite the bad rap they get for the rain.

because i have nothing really substantial to talk about and because it is flashback friday, i am going to flashback to my trip to seattle in september of 2009. i was indeed blogging back then, but a lot of you (okay, most of you) weren’t reading meals & moves. so for those of you who WERE reading.. sorry about the redundancy, but i am sure you have forgotten all about this trip anyway.

here we go.

in september of 2009, marshall was a groomsman in his friend james’ wedding. james is marshall’s old roommate and he was marrying janelle, one of the most beautiful people on the planet. they are from the great northwest, so their wedding was on location in seattle. i happily accompanied my boyfriend at the time on the trip. i love seattle and i love weddings and i love friends! a bunch of our friends from utah were also heading up to seattle for the wedding—either to be in it or to attend.

our first dining experience in seattle was at a place called the teapot vegetarian house. we were with a slew of vegans, so a lot of the restaurants we chose were based on if they had vegan options.

i remember that the whole restaurant smelled like baked bread due to the subway that was below. the food at the teapot was SO good. they really knew how to make faux meat taste like.. uh.. meat? i had the basil nuggets, but the star of the show was the faux beef stroganoff. if you can make amazing, creamy beef stroganoff vegan, then you KNOW how to cook.

we wandered around the market and the surrounding area, just popping into various stores to browse and try things on.. and goof off, of course.

imageimage

imageimage

this was probably one of the best peaches of my life..

imageimage image

later that night was the bachelor/bachelorette parties. they were separate, of course! we started off with the obligatory penis-themed appetizers and drinks.

imageimage

followed by dinner at a delicious italian eatery and then more bachelorette shenanigans.

the next morning was full of free time, so we snagged some breakfast and coffee then wandered around a bit.

image image

marshall had to go do groomsmen things, so he left and the rest of us (that weren’t in the wedding) continued to sight see.

imageimage image

that night was the rehearsal dinner followed by the get up kids concert.

janelle & james, perfect couple.

the bride and groom treated us all to tickets to the concert! so sweet. i LOVE the get up kids and had never seen them live. this is actually where i got the idea to buy my whole wedding party tickets to the minus the bear concert before our wedding.

the next day was the wedding day! we had the morning free, so we decided to hit a breakfast joint that the boys were all about, but i was not so much all about.

beth’s cafe was featured on man vs. food, so you know right off the bat that it is going to be quite the filling experience. my friend got a SIX egg omelette—but that wasn’t even their biggest one.. they had a 12-egger. yikes. i got over medium eggs and french toast. pretty typical for me (seeing as how i just got the same thing last weekend in palm springs!)

after breakfast, we had time to head up to the infamous space needle.

it was actually a clear day so the views were great!

marshall had to head to get photos taken and had nowhere to change.. so he casually changed into his tux in the parking lot.

imageimage

the boy cleans up nicely :)

later that evening it was time for the wedding! it was right in the heart of downtown seattle and everything was just perfect.

imageimage image

after the wedding we all went out to a hole in the wall bar.. it was fun to be there all dressed up.

imageimage

the next day was sunday—time to go home. we HAD to hit up trader joe’s before leaving, so we took a cab there. after getting all the necessary goods, we decided to try to find something to eat. we had all our luggage with us and we had no idea where we even were.. but we figured if we walked long enough we would find a restaurant.

um. we walked for a REALLY. LONG. TIME. we were not happy.

and we were VERY hungry. marshall consulted his phone to try to see if we were anywhere near anything at all.

by some stroke of a miracle, we ran into an AMAZING little cafe called louisa’s bakery & cafe. um.. it was SO cute and SO delicious. as in, i would have sought this out had i know about it.. and we just ran into it!

food at last.

and iced coffee.

once we finished eating, we called a cab and had him take us to the airport. we’d had enough walking for the day.

the end. that is my flashback of seattle. if you want to read a REALLY LONG and drawn out version of the above story, feel free to click here. it’s long. i warned you.

well.. i have a date tonight! with marshall! i am so happy to be feeling better AND to be able to spend time with him. we are going to dinner and to see bridesmaids.. then i definitely see some ice cream in the cards for dessert.

tomorrow is jam packed, but i will try to check in sometime.

have a great weekend!

1. have you been to seattle?

2. where did you go on your last vacation?

Linda May 20, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Yeah I’m so glad you had fun hanging out in my hometown. You did all the things I would take my friends to do including the downtown waterfall park. I love that place!
My last vacation was to Portland, OR and that’s were my next trip will be!

edenseats May 20, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I think we need to hit seattle up again and visit Tiff (aka Carbzilla).

I’m wondering what the “groomsmen”things were…I’d imagine its something like the movie, “the hangover”minus the hangover bit since marshal doesn’t drink. wow, that made no sense.

The last vacation of mine was SO lame! I spent the whole time with these two, hairy, stinky women and these stray cats that wouldn’t leave us alone!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) May 20, 2011 at 4:46 pm

OK- many things_ I totally remember this post. I love the smell of subway bread. What’s not to love about grilled cheese and tomato soup? Marshall was HOTT even before slamming himself full of 20 pounds of pure musckles. Love that photo of the two of you- the closeup on an angle. Love your little shirt dress- hott legs and all. Glad you’re on the mend and I miss you terribly!!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) May 20, 2011 at 4:48 pm

As per usual I forgot to play by the rules…

1. Yes, but as Eden said, need to go take over Tiff’s house
2. Maui! <3 (if PS doesn't count, but it kinda does b/c being here is like being on vacation 24/7)

edenseats May 20, 2011 at 11:28 pm

I never play by the “rules”. What a rebel I am…

Jill {i run i eat} May 20, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I LOVE the Soup Kitchen. Their bread sticks are amazing! I used to work downtown & we would go there all the time. Crazy thing – I got grilled cheese & tomato soup, too!

Jackie Smith May 20, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Ryan and I went to Seattle to see Erykah Badu a few years ago–she played on a pier. It was awesome!

Juliette May 20, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Yes, I have a few friends from college that live in Seattle.
Last real vaca was to Alaska last summer. Amazing!

Ash May 20, 2011 at 5:08 pm

You guys make such a great couple that I always get this ridiculously huge smile on my face when I see photos of you guys together lol.

Glad you had fun, Janetha!

Krystina (Organically Me) May 20, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Gahhh you and Masrshall are so freaking cute.

Kerryne May 20, 2011 at 5:32 pm

My husband and I accidentally ended up at the soup kitchen one day for lunch and LOVED it, so so good. I think he frequents it now. I don’t get out much ;)

Never been to Seattle. After this week of non stop rain, I don’t know if I would survive Seattle, ha ha! I hear its beautiful though!

Our last vacation was to Vegas. Adventurous I know. Like I said we don’t get out much. I figure after living overseas for 4 years there isn’t an easy way to vaca anymore!!!

All this talk of Trader Joe’s is REALLY making me miss Cali so much more! So jealous you were just there.

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) May 20, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Im on vacation now, baby!!!!

And have been seeing Eden, Deb’s, and your posts about Palm Springs and wishing I was on a girls trip (with you all would be awesome), next. I need to do more of those!!

YEs, was in Seattle for 2 weeks about 10 yrs ago. Pike Place market, shopping, and drinking come to mind :)

Carbzilla May 20, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Yay – Party at MY house!!!!

Of course, this post makes me sad that a) we barely knew each other when you came out here, b) I couldn’t give you guys a ride to breakfast and the airport ‘cuz I totally would have, and c) I didn’t tell you that there’s an awesome grocery store/co-op across the street from Beth’s where you should have grabbed something to eat instead.

Anyway, that was then and this is now. :) I’m free all summer. C’mon on up!

We haven’t vacationed since May 2010 in DisneyWorld. Next vacation is either Alaska cruise (if we get discount rates) or Puerto Vallarta in the Fall for our wedding anniversary (booked).

edenseats May 20, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Oh good, youre on board! How creepy would it be if just kinda showed up?

lauren May 20, 2011 at 5:40 pm

ahh the get up kids are my second favorite band (after saves the day!). minus the bear is probably 5th in line! so awesome!

melissa May 20, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I love whenever you reference MTB! :)

They are my favorite band… I play them on my radio show all the time.

coffeeandthepaper May 20, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Ugh, it’s rained here for seven straight days! I was getting all punped for warm weather eats but all I’ve been wanting this week is soup, oatmeal, and warmed cereal. How fitting that you flash back to the rainiest city! Although it looks like it was sunny and gorgeous while you were there!

lowandbhold May 20, 2011 at 6:24 pm

I LOVE grilled cheese and ‘mater soup. I would be all over it.
I’ve been reading since Seattle! I’m a SUPER fan! It looked fun then and it still does!!

lifttorun May 20, 2011 at 6:28 pm

I have been to Seattle and I live in Portland so it’s like the same except better. (:

lifeisbeachykeen May 20, 2011 at 6:44 pm

mmmmm grilled cheese & tomato soup is the best!

I’ve never been to Seattle. I’ve been as far west as Colorado, but that’s it.

I can’t remember my last real vacation. We went camping on an island in Boca Grande a few weeks ago

1970kikiproject May 20, 2011 at 6:53 pm

haha, i JUST got home from seeing “bridesmaids!” what’d you both think? i thought it was very funny – quick review will be on my blog saturday a.m….
a 12 egg omelet?? wild! love the concert before the wedding – sounds like a great time. and random cafe finds are just meant to be.
never been to seattle, and my last vacation was in aruba in march.
glad you’re on the mend, j!

BroccoliHut May 20, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Enjoy Bridesmaids! Seth and I went last weekend and LOVED it.

BrocStar May 20, 2011 at 7:01 pm

I LOVE that photo of the bride/groom in the bar. The lighting is so perfect!

I’ve been to Seattle a few times. I only live 3 hours away.. but for the most part I find it too expensive and not worth it. Most of what is there, I can get here in Portland.

My last vacation was a motorcycle ride to the beach during Spring break 2010- March. The day we rode down was pouring crazy rain the entire time. I was soaked through all my gear, and the rain covers flew off my bags… so all of the contents got wet until we found a place to purchase some big ziplocs! But the ride back was on the perfect day… it totally made up for it. :)

janetha May 26, 2011 at 2:05 pm

That sounds like such an adventure!

Holly @ The Runny Egg May 20, 2011 at 7:04 pm

“don’t squeeze me til I”m yours” – that sign is awesome!

And Marshall changing in the parking lot — totally something Jason would do!

Cheri May 20, 2011 at 8:06 pm

I love Seattle to pieces! It is one of my favorite places! My last vacation, however, was to Jackson Hole, Wyoming. An interesting place, but a little too touristy for me. Can’t beat the mountains though. The Tetons rock.

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe May 20, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Cool, my husband and I were just in Seattle 2 weeks ago and we absolutely fell in love with it. I don’t care how many days a year it rains there, Seattle rocks!

brothern8ture May 20, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Thanks so much for re-posting this! I am moving to Seattle in a few weeks and am trying to read all that I can before hand about the good eats! :) You guys seem like such a happy couple!

Annette @EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 20, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Wedding weekends are SO fun! Love this flashback.

My last vacay was to…..SKI (at Brighton). Perfect :) Glad you’re feeling better.
p.s. your soup/sandwich story is hilarious. and so something I would do too! ha.

thedelicateplace May 21, 2011 at 7:44 am

love get up kids & minus the bear! oh i have so many older memories of show nostalgia haha. i have never been to seattle but all my friends tell me i would love it! my last vacation was paris a year ago! i think i’m going low key this year because we are going to either turkey with a stop in paris to visit nate’s bro or london/paris. in the midst of planning! btw you look great in purple!

kerinb May 21, 2011 at 9:04 am

Hey Janetha, Loving your blog. ;-) I’m new to this blogging malarky and got to say I am loving it.
Last holiday for us was back in the summer Miami and New York. Sunshine for chilling and then our teenagers literally shopped till they dropped in NYC.
I must admit I am hoping that we get some more Sunshine over here in the UK. Although it is dry so I guess I should not complain too much! I hope you are fully recovered now. x

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather May 21, 2011 at 9:20 am

I can’t even count the number of times I’ve been to Seattle (family there) and I’ve never been up the space needle!

ChannonD @ everdayexoticcooking.com May 24, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I wasn’t keen on going, thinking it was too touristy. Boy am I glad my co-worker took me there. I have been back up a couple more times since. Go on a clear day so you can see the volcanoes. And time it for sunset. I took some really great pictures up there, especially of the sun setting over the Sound.

Krista C. May 22, 2011 at 12:13 am

I live in Seattle, Beth’s Cafe is pretty awesome! My last vacation was to Illinois to visit my family.

Cassie May 22, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Oh my gosh I was totally at a wedding at the Court last night! My sister in law got married there, it’s such an amazing venue! Did you know hat they determine the menu that day based on what is fresh at the market? We had salmon and tons of other amazing things. I didn’t bring my camera, but the food really rocked. I love seattle, even though the weather can be a bit of a drag, and there seem to be an abundance of transients, the whole place really is amazing!

Leah May 22, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Can you please come back to Seattle and hang out with me? That would be amazeballs.

Amy May 22, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I hear ya on the rain. The weatherman said we have had 84 hours on sun so far in the month of May.. And last night at a Pig Roast I had two coats, gloves, and a scarf – NBD it is only almost June!

Carla in Sydney May 22, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Good to see you are recovering from your illness! I LOVE the pic of the bride on the lounge….this is a really cool image!

I have never been to Seattle but I would love to go anywhere in the US!

My last holiday/vacation was to LA, Vegas, San Diego and New York last June. You guys are so lucky to be able to travel for only a few hours and end up somehwere with completely different scenery but still be in your own country. Unfortunately any holidays I do involve very long flights….it’s 14 hours to LA! I am hoping I can get over there again in August/Sept this year. Thanks, again, for the Utah tips! :-)

ChannonD @ everdayexoticcooking.com May 24, 2011 at 3:43 pm

If you can, on your next trip drive up the Coast, from LA, through Santa Barbara and on to San Francisco. While in San Fran, be sure to check out Japan Town. Then you can fly to Seattle from there. You won’t be disappointed!
People told me I was crazy driving PCH 1 (Pacific Coast Highway) from Newport Beach to San Francisco, instead of flying. It was a long drive (8-9 hours), but I wouldn’t not have traded that experience for any amount of convenience. Santa Barbara has the most beautiful landscape I have ever seen.

ChannonD @ everdayexoticcooking.com May 24, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I have been to Seattle and, like you, it is one of my favorite cities. (Barcelona beats all the rest, even Paris, but that’s for another time). I spend hours running around Pike Place. Next time you go, be sure to find the Double Dorjee Tibetan Store. The owner is so sweet and helpful. I have bought many lovely gifts there, and I even gave some of them away ;-)
Our last vacation was our honeymoon in March (married Dec 4, but waited for warmer weather). We took a cruise out of Tampa to Cozumel. We also spent a few extra days in the St. Pete area and at Busch Gardens Africa where we met elephants, tigers and orangutans in behind the scenes tours – AWESOME!!