palm springs: eating in.

by Janetha on May 17, 2011

in eating out,fun with friends,meals,travel

when we weren’t dining out at delicious restaurants in the palm springs area, we were whipping up tasty eats and treats back at the house.

friday night’s diner was the first meal we cooked. we were in luck, because eden is a professional chef!

we had dry rubbed pork roasted with onions.

even professional chefs cry when massaging onions.

we also had a blend of sautéed leeks, kabocha and mushrooms served over a bed of crisp romaine.

IMG_2958IMG_2959

time to eat!

IMG_2965IMG_2967IMG_2968

tasty dinner.

on saturday morning, deb blended up one of her fabulous smoothies.

this one was a protein frappucino.

she gave me a taste before polishing off the blenderful Winking smile

eden and i made greek yogurt messes for our breakfast.

i used trader joe’s greek yogurt which i LOVE, but don’t get the luxury of eating when at home.  come to utah, trader joe’s!

this had cinnamon, banana, strawberries and trader joe’s fiber cereal with a side of swimming pool.

saturday night ended up being on the lighter side.  we were still full from eating at the deli earlier in the day, so we decided just to snack on random things and mess around in the kitchen.

i had a toasted cinnamon raisin bagel thin with maple almond butter and banana.

we also whipped up some carrot cake ice cream..

IMG_3100IMG_3105IMG_3106

by the way, it was SO good.

we also made some protein cereal that was more of an experiment and while it tasted fine.. it was nothing to write home about. the best part was that we were making up recipes together.. that was fun!

sunday night was the last supper.  we whipped up a simple chicken stir fry.

IMG_3170IMG_3171IMG_3172IMG_3173

side note: how had i never tried ak-maks before this trip? i am officially hooked!

i am glad i got my fill of mushrooms, since marshall hates them and i never eat them at home.

aerial view.

behind the scenes..

behind the behind the scenes..

IMG_2024

perfect final meal.

that sums up our palm springs cooking shenanigans.. tune in next time for the everything in betweens.

1. if money is not an issue: do you prefer eating in or dining out?

2. what was the last meal you made?

maria @ Chasing the Now May 17, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Those meals look fantastic. How lucky to have Eden cooking for you! Now I’m craving stirfry!

P.S. It’s time I catch up on WWF, don’t you think. ;)

edenseats May 17, 2011 at 5:29 pm

I was the lucky one

lifttorun May 17, 2011 at 6:19 pm

I like to eat out, but nothing ever fills me up so I like to eat at home too. Besides, my mom cooks for me. Hah.

Paige is Running Around Normal May 17, 2011 at 6:29 pm

How incredibly fun! And everything looks delicious! Especially that ice cream :)

And btw – your legs look smokin’ in that stand up on the chair picture taking picture!!

edenseats May 17, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Oh, you haven’t seen nothing yet! That girl is smokin all over! That insanity thingy is INSANE!

inmytummy May 17, 2011 at 6:30 pm

I really prefer to eat at home. Jason, on the other hand, is the complete opposite.

Pure2raw twins May 17, 2011 at 7:13 pm

loved the behind the scene pictures!!

i love eating out, wish I could do it more.

Abby May 17, 2011 at 8:04 pm

I prefer eating in! Maybe if I lived in a bigger city with more non-chain restaurants that are quality I would like eating out though! :) The last meal I made was a yummy pasta salad that was bursting full of spring veggies. It had a balsamic viniagrette for the dressing. Tonight I tossed the leftovers with some chickpeas and feta crumbles on top of a giant bowl of spinach! Yum!

BroccoliHut May 17, 2011 at 8:05 pm

OMG broccoli slaw and Ak maks in the same post! Awesome!

livinlifeinlouie May 17, 2011 at 8:06 pm

oh man that food looks delicious! Are there recipes :-)

ChannonD @ everdayexoticcooking.com May 19, 2011 at 5:41 pm

I really prefer eating in most of the time. I can control the quality of the ingredients, as well as the fat, fiber, salt, sugar, etc… But there are some things that will always be better out: Japanese and Indian food for starters. And sometimes I just want a real NY-style pizza.

It has been such an emotional week that I don’t even remember the last meal I cooked from scratch. I think it was four-bean and TVP chili. Or fish tacos with spicy slaw.

I want to hear about the protein cereal!!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) May 21, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Protein cereal was a fail. Will rework and maybe one of these days I’ll post about it :-) I know Janetha has had successes in the past though- trawl through her recipe archives…