fun facts friday.

by Janetha on May 13, 2011

in fun facts

since i am out of town, flashback friday is getting skipped! but did you know that friday is now officially four fun facts friday? my friend jessica dubbed it just today in fact.

she left me four fun facts on my facebook wall, here they are:

1. Bone is five times stronger than steel.
  2. Sharks can live up to 100 years.
  3. “Bookkeeper” is the only word in the English language that has three consecutive sets of double letters.
  4. More people are killed annually by donkeys than die in air crashes.

number three was my favorite. not a surprise.

because we can never have too much information floating around in our brains.. here are a few more random things for you to know.

i recently received an email from my friend sabrina.  it was chock-full of random, helpful tips!

enjoy!

*click each image for source.

Take your bananas apart when you get home from the store. If you leave them connected at the stem, they ripen faster.

Store your opened chunks of cheese in aluminum foil. It will stay fresh much longer and not mold.

Peppers with 3 bumps on the bottom are sweeter and better for eating. Peppers with 4 bumps on the bottom are firmer and better for cooking.

Add a teaspoon of water when frying ground meat. It will help pull the grease away from the meat while cooking.

For a cool brownie treat, make brownies as usual, then melt Andes mints in double broiler and pour over warm brownies.  Let set for a wonderful minty frosting.

Add garlic immediately to a recipe if you want a light taste of garlic, and at the end of the recipe if your want a stronger taste of garlic.

To heat up leftover pizza, skip the microwave and use a nonstick skillet on top of the stove.  Set heat to medium-low and heat until warm. This keeps the crust crispy.

For easy and attractive deviled eggs, put cooked egg yolks in a zip lock bag.  Seal and then mash until they are all broken up.  Add remainder of ingredients, reseal, keep mashing, mixing thoroughly.  Cut the tip of the baggy and squeeze mixture into egg.  Just throw bag away when done –
easy clean up!

The amazing expanding frosting tip!  When you buy a container of cake frosting from the store,
whip it with your mixer for a few minutes.  You can double it in size.  You get to frost more cake/cupcakes with the same amount.
You also eat less sugar and calories per serving.

To warm biscuits, pancakes, or muffins that were refrigerated, place them in a microwave with a cup of water. The increased moisture will keep the food moist and help it reheat faster.

Newspaper keeps weeds away!  Wet some newspapers. Put layers around the plants overlapping as you go,
cover with mulch and forget about weeds. Weeds will get through some gardening plastic, they will not get through wet newspapers.

To pick up shards of broken glass that are too small to see, use a wet cotton ball or Q-tip.

To get rid of mosquitoes, place a dryer sheet in your pocket. It will keep the mosquitoes away!

To keep squirrels from eating your plants, sprinkle your plants with cayenne pepper. The cayenne pepper doesn’t hurt the plant and the squirrels won’t come near it. It works with rabbits and raccoons, too.

To get something out of a heat register or under the fridge, add an empty paper towel roll or empty gift wrap roll to your vacuum. It can be bent or flattened to get in narrow openings.

To reduce static cling, all you need is a safety pin!  Pin a small safety pin to the seam of your slip and you will not have a clingy skirt or dress.
Same thing works with slacks that cling when wearing panty hose. Place pin in seam of slacks and TA DA! … static is gone.

Don’t you hate it when sticky ingredients get stuck in your measuring cups? Before you pour sticky substances into a measuring cup, fill with hot water. Dump out the hot water, but don’t dry cup.  Next, add your ingredient, such as peanut butter or honey, and watch how easily it comes right out!

Hate foggy windshields? Buy a chalkboard eraser and keep it in the glove box of your car.  When the windows fog, rub with the eraser! Works better than a cloth!

If you seal an envelope and then realize you forgot to include something inside, just place your sealed envelope in the freezer for an hour or two. Voila! It unseals easily.

Use your hair conditioner to shave your legs. It’s cheaper than shaving cream and leaves your legs really smooth. It’s also a great way to use up the conditioner you bought but didn’t like when you tried it in your hair.

To get rid of pesky fruit flies, take a small glass, fill it 1/2 inch with Apple Cider Vinegar and 2 drops of dish washing liquid;
mix well. Leave it on your counter.. you will find those flies drawn to the cup and gone forever!

To get rid of ants, put small piles of cornmeal where you see ants. They eat it or take it home to the others. They can’t digest it so it kills them. It may take a week or so, especially if it rains, but it works and you don’t have the worry about pets or small children being harmed!

*************************************************************************************

there you go! lots of easy & helpful tips for you!

1. do you have any fun facts to share with the class?

2. did you know any of the above facts or tips already?

Nicole @ Fresh & Fit May 14, 2011 at 4:48 am

Wow all those facts are amazing, I didn’t know any of them! I think I’m going to print this out as a “handy tips” reference.
!

edenseats May 14, 2011 at 7:10 am

Fun Fact: Yawning is contagious – even thinking about yawning is enough. After reading this fact, there is a 50% chance you will yawn! Not that I’m suggesting this post was boing.

Fun Fact: People with full bladders make better decisions! So next time we decide on what to order at a fish resturant, we should really fill up before we leave.

Fun Fact: I love you.

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) May 16, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I totally yawned. Then again I’ve slept 8 hours over the past 3 days.

ChannonD @ everdayexoticcooking.com May 14, 2011 at 7:18 am

Very interesting post! I learned a lot this morning. That’s always fun.

I did know some of these already. They are: bananas, deviled eggs, whipped frosting, water in microwave, and when to add garlic.

I am a geologist and we use the Moh’s hardness scale for measuring the hardness of minerals and metals. I am very surprised by the bone fact. On our scale, the primary component of bone (apatite) is a 5 and steel is a 7+, with each number on the scale being 10 x’s harder than the previous (that a natural logarithmic scale; base = 10). Hmmm…. I must do some research now!

Have a great trip Janetha!
Channon

The Sometimes Healthy Girl May 14, 2011 at 7:56 am

I knew only ONE of these facts (the one about Andes mints). The rest are so useful. Love the pizza idea! And the frosting. GENIUS!

Allison @ Runs A Latte May 14, 2011 at 9:12 am

Ah! These facts are awesome! I ALWAYS separate my bananas. My fiance laughs at me because on Sunday’s we have single bananas literally scattered all over the kitchen like it’s some kind of “how many bananas do you see in this picture?” type of deals. But I like to eat my bananas with a tinge of green on them.

I feel like I just learned more useful facts now in these last few minutes than in this whole year so far.

Pure2raw twins May 15, 2011 at 6:21 pm

love these tips!! i will have to try the dryer sheet next time I am home in FL

and will have to try the apple cider, I got fruit flies, ugh

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) May 16, 2011 at 5:14 pm

I knew some but not all of those- next time I’m stumped for anything I’m texting you. One thing that is really useful is like your pizza tip: for a whole rotisserie chix- to heat it up again (or even half of it) don’t bake it (dries) or heaven forbid nuke it (toughens), put it in a pot with a little water in the bottom and just sort of steam it- it gets fall-off-the-bone succulent while warming it.

Thank you for coming to visit and sharing all of your real wisdom in person. G IS for genius :-D

Gabby February 10, 2013 at 9:08 pm

I saw this on pintrest and the thing that got my eye was the New Hope Mills bag. I live in CNY where the mill is located and my friend is the owner of the company. How did you get a New Hope product in Utah?

Janetha February 10, 2013 at 9:25 pm
Carrie February 18, 2013 at 3:11 pm

This site is totally cool! A lot of interesting, useful facts..now just to remember them all!! Keep them coming!

flip@60 October 16, 2013 at 8:48 am

Nice site. I was captivated because I hadn’t heard about ANY of these tips!

My comment is regarding the cornmeal for ants…I have used pesticide (yuk, but terribly effective!) outside for both ants and spiders. The cornmeal is a good idea and I’ll try it, however; we also have skunks and possum that are also attracted to foods left for “others”. What I’ll try is the cornmeal WITH cayenne pepper mixed in since you mention that cayenne pepper deflects racoons and rabbits. I’ll let you know how it works out!

Mary Strausbaugh July 6, 2016 at 3:26 pm

Wow, this is a great load of tips, so very helpful. I am glad i found these tips cus my house has become home to Nats this summer BUT they best watch out cus they aren’t gonna live here much longer, hahaha. Thank you MUCH for these great tips 😉

Joan Rigault January 29, 2017 at 8:38 pm

Very interesting, simple and informative. Have used the bananas, and water in the microwave. Will be using the others. What do you use for weevil in dry foods?