eat what you want.

by Janetha on May 11, 2011

in meals

it must be waffle wednesday because i read several delicious waffle posts today:

i need to bring waffle wednesday back into my life.. along with the celebration of national food holidays. i have really let that go by the wayside! i used to be so dedicated.

there you go, random thoughts from yours truly.

speaking of national food holidays, today just so happened to be national eat what you want day.  isn’t that every day? it is for me.. well, actually, no.. if i ate EXACTLY what i wanted, i would be in chicago eating french toast at the bongo room. we can’t all be that lucky every day. but i did eat several things that i wanted.. and they were good! let me show you.

breakfast: protein oats.

don’t let the elaborate peanut butter drizzle fool you, this was nothing fancy. just 1/3 cup oats cooked in water until they tripled in size, then i added cinnamon, vanilla and a scoop of EAS premium vanilla protein powder.  drizzled with kirkland organic peanut butter for ultimate yum-factor.

lunch: mexican wrap.

i used the leftover seasoned ground turkey from last night’s taco salad to create a simple wrap.  in addition to the ground turkey, this had mashed avocado, salsa and spinach.

simple, but good.

kombucha for drinking, because kombucha is delicious. and i wanted it. so i had it.

snack: alliebar + chobani.

two more things i wanted to eat. a lot of you asked about the alliebar. these delicious bars are made by allie at live laugh eat.  the recipe is top secret.. but i convinced her to mail me some in exchange for penny.  she is really fond of penny and i figured it was a fair trade.  i am not sure if she needs another dog, but maybe you can convince her to send you some for a fair price.

i  had a busy afternoon! i had an appointment to get spray tanned. yes, i get spray tanned before i go on trips where the sun is shining and my skin is showing. i like to look tan just as much as the next gal,  but i think faux is the way to go.  why? well i think tanning beds are whack. they are expensive because in order to achieve a tan you have to go multiple times.. and they also give you skin cancer. well, they can, and that is enough of a reason for me to stay away from them.  i did a lot of tanning bed tanning in my younger years and i wish i hadn’t because of the long term effects it can lead to.  oh well, too late now, right? now i stick to the spray tan.  that’s my story.

i ran a few other errands to pick up a few things for my upcoming trip (i leave friday morning) and i also stopped by the fish market to snag some scottish salmon for dinner.

i have been wanting to make this recipe ever since i saw it!

dinner: apricot dijon glazed salmon + brown rice + broccoli.

i snagged the salmon recipe from emily.. she always has awesome recipes.  the fresh scottish salmon was melt-in-your-mouth tender. the sweet, tangy mustard apricot glaze was the perfect subtle addition to the fish.

i spruced the rice up a bit with some dijon mustard and garlic salt. it turned out real creamy and tasty!

this meal couldn’t have been simpler. i love how quick fish cooks.

i am glad that what i should eat and what i want to eat are one and the same.  i wasn’t always a lover of healthy food.. but now i truly can say that i prefer broiled salmon and steamed broccoli to fried fish and chips.  healthy eating is a whole lot easier when you want to eat what’s on the menu! i make sure that every time i eat, i am eating the food because i want to, not because i think i should.  if you get into that mentality, you will have a lot easier of a time with healthy eating.  find the meals that you LOVE and eat those.. don’t eat something that you don’t like the taste of just because you think you need to. i promise you can find something that is both healthy AND appealing to your taste buds.

and that’s that.

we just finished eating and now i am going to head up to my mom’s for a few. gotta go! have a good one.

1. do you eat more of what you want or more of what you think you “should”? or is what you want also what you “should”?

2. do you use tanning beds? thoughts?

p.s. i did insanity this morning! yay for morning workouts. wish me luck for tomorrow morning.. it is the same workout from sunday AKA hardest workout of my liiiiiife.

Jillian May 12, 2011 at 11:11 am

I definitely enjoy what I eat, which is what I feel that I “should” eat also. Of course I enjoy my one day a week cheat day, but I like all of the food that I eat every other day as well. Lucky for me I guess. Most people just need to do some experimenting to find what works. I agree that you can always find something you enjoty that is healthy, as well.

As for tanning beds.. NOT HEALTHY and I used to tan like crazy and I am so sorry I did. I guess I will be more sorry in 20 years when my skin is wrinkly. Boooo

emily (a nutritionist eats) May 12, 2011 at 11:20 am

Thanks for the shout-out Janetha! :)

janetha May 12, 2011 at 11:37 am

Thanks for the recipe :)

mering4 May 12, 2011 at 12:09 pm

mmmm kombucha… I tanned in high school for a few dances, then I tanned all the time my freshman and sophomore years of college. Then, I completely stopped senior year until about a month ago. I had just moved up to Minnesota and I was soooo depressed from the continuous rain/snow, so I have gone a few times and it really does put me in a better mood!

So, I’m not completely against it, but I know it can be super bad for you!

Jenny May 12, 2011 at 12:21 pm

I’m thankful that I love to eat oats, and veggies and nutrient dense foods. It use to be hard when I craved fried foods but now it just makes me feel terrible.

coffeeandthepaper May 12, 2011 at 12:43 pm

You know, I definitely enjoy the food I’ve been eating lately, but with school and craziness I’ve been starting to view food as simply fuel and less of a delicious experience. I’m trying to revisit the pleasure of a meal again, instead of just choosing what is easy and quick!

Channon May 12, 2011 at 3:43 pm

You are so right Janetha! You need to WANT the food in front of you to make a lasting change in your life. For those who have trouble now, persevere. Keep including whole foods and new foods into your diet. A time will come when your body actually asks you for greens and gets grossed out over grease. Just ask my husband! He still likes his fatty foods sometimes, but he always wants healthy food and lots of it afterwards. My body has been begging for brussel sprouts, oats, collards, salad, miso, fish and the like for a long time. After less than a year eating with me, his body is changing too.

Pure2raw Twins May 12, 2011 at 5:48 pm

I know I saw so many waffles today too and the funny thing is that I mentioned to Michelle how we need to get a waffle maker haha

julie May 12, 2011 at 6:00 pm

the summer ALWAYS makes me want fish and broccoli actually i just want brox all the time and fish too but it makes me want fish even more hahaha

BroccoliHut May 12, 2011 at 6:57 pm

I absolutely love your glass bowl in your breakfast photo! Where is it from?
1. I eat what I want most of the time, and it usually coincides with the “shoulds.”
2. Never used a tanning bed in my life. I’m pretty sure I would walk out looking like a lobster–I am what you might call a pasty princess.

janetha May 18, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I got the glass bowl at Smith’s Marketplace!

lifttorun May 12, 2011 at 7:10 pm

I have not seen that Kombucha flavor before.

I actually use a tanning bed. I know, so bad. I may regret in the future, but I like being tan. And there are actually some benefits from tanning that people don’t know about.

kissmybroccoli May 15, 2011 at 7:31 am

Mmm, the citrus flavor is my favorite!! I just tried the gingerberry yesterday…I didn’t think I was going to like it, but I think I’ve finally refined my kombucha taste buds! Haha!

I used to use the tanning bed, but I haven’t been in about a year now. I never went religiously…usually like once a week. I’ve got too much Irish in my blood to be a worshipper of the sun…real or not!

I posted something not long ago about why I eat healthy. I do it because I WANT to. Because I like knowing that not only does my food taste good, but it’s fueling my body and keeping me healthy. I like to think of it as my long-term health insurance plan! ;)