f-o-o-d, food food.

by Janetha on May 5, 2011

in meals

note: if you like reggie and the full effect, then my title will make sense to you. if you don’t.. well.. then you probably won’t get it.

i just spent the last little while catching up with one of my favorite friends. and now i am on the couch catching up with my favorite husband, favorite basset hound and favorite entlebucher cavalier.

so.. basically.. i don’t want to ramble. shocking, i know. i did photograph most of my meals today, so i thought it would be a waste if i didn’t post them.

ready.. go!

after my insanity workout (i will be posting a review of month 1 this weekend) i whipped up breakfast.

4 egg whites & mixed cereal + almond milk.

my egg white pillows are nothing new but they never get old. i simply spray a bowl with olive oil, whisk four egg whites and microwave them on 70% power for 3 minutes.

this bowl was 1 cup kamut puffs + 1/2 cup high fiber TJs cereal + handful of sunflower’s european cereal (aka oats, slivered almonds, raisins and rolled dates).

lunch was quite the random combo. i didn’t have leftovers.. so this is what i came up with.

more than 1 cup spaghetti squash + 3/4 cup cottage cheese + 1/2 cup garbanzos + organic ranch seasoning.

it’s safe to say this will be eaten lots more times in the near future. ‘twas delicious.

i mixed it up after the photo shoot.

snacktime was fun because i replenished my stash of alliebars!

plain chobani with cinnamon + crumbled alliebar.

if you haven’t had an alliebar, you really are missing out. i have never had a better granola bar in my entire life. IN MY LIFE, PEOPLE.

the cinnamon was a nice touch. i mixed it into the yogurt before crumbling the alliebar on top.

dinner was at aristo’s.. my favorite greek restaurant in salt lake city.  because that’s what cinco de mayo is all about.. greek food.

i was so caught up chatting with emily that i only managed to photograph the hummus. oops.

best hummus i have ever tasted.

i also had a delicious greek salad with a chicken kebab and lots of great conversation. oh.. and some purple potatoes! emily gave them to me as a gift. i can’t wait to try them.

that’s it, folks. i am done for the night. friday tomorrow! yes.

1. when dining out, what type/ethnicity of cuisine is your favorite? i am torn between greek and indian. ohh.. or thai.. i can’t pick!

2. random.. but do you still have your tonsils? i got mine out two years ago today.

BrocStar May 5, 2011 at 9:19 pm

I recently discovered the heaven that is spaghetti squash. I can’t get enough of it!
Mexican or thai are my favorites.

Tea-bag May 5, 2011 at 9:27 pm

I usually only order dishes that I can’t easily make at home so I normally go for Japanese (sashimi) – yes, I could get sushi-grade fish but so much of it has to do w/ proper cutting & I just don’t have those skills.
Random fact about tonsils. It’s becoming more apparent that they play an important role in immunity & older generations that experienced a lot of tonsillectomies have larger rates of pneumonia & other viral infections!

Kerryne May 5, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Ohhhhhhhh Greek food is the bomb! My husband and I just went to Aristo’s on Saturday night for our anniversary! We lived in Cyprus for four years so we are very very very fond of everything Greek.

snackgirlgoeshealthy May 5, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Oooh! I am SO bad at picking out which one! I really like GREEK, Mexican and PERSIAN! Oh if you like indian, persian is 990589489 times better! DO try!

i LOVE egg whites. They really dont get old. Tasty. Low cal. High protein. Thank you very much!

I love cottage cheese and beans to! Such a favorite!

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy May 5, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Oh man that’s a hard one! It’s a triple tie for me – Thai, Indian, or Arabic!

Heather May 5, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Where can I find an Alliebar or recipe for an Alliebar?

I looked on Live Laugh Eat, but I could not figure it out. Perhaps I am not as internet savvy as I thought:)

janetha May 6, 2011 at 9:29 am

She doesn’t have the recipe on her blog.. you either have to win them or hit her up with a “donation” and she will send some to you. They are AMAZING x19328520343!!!

actorsdiet May 5, 2011 at 11:04 pm

i still have my tonsils but when i was a kid i had fantasies of taking them out and eating ice cream for every meal.

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) May 6, 2011 at 12:15 am

Me too!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) May 6, 2011 at 12:16 am

Ethiopian!!! Amazing! Yes still have tonsils. Do they even take them out anymore?

lindsay May 6, 2011 at 4:06 am

shoot, now I am craving Ethiopian and some Injera bread! thanks DEB!

janetha May 6, 2011 at 9:30 am

Yes, they do! With good reason. I was sick 7 times in the winter of 08/09 and haven’t been sick like that since getting them out. Also, everyone raves about Ethiopian food.. but we have none here :( I am missing out!

MelissaNibbles May 6, 2011 at 2:08 am

I do the spaghetti squash cottage cheese thing often. So easy and tasty!

1970kikiproject May 6, 2011 at 3:09 am

i made your poofy egg pillow on wednesday, janetha, and loved it! now i have to try your lunch combo, there…
i have my tonsils. when i was little, i too, wanted them taken out so i could eat ice cream after!
i don’t get out for ethnic cuisine very often…family and friends are rather unadventurous. so i would love to try greek, ethiopian, indian…glad you had a fun time out with your friend!
happy friday!

Lauren May 6, 2011 at 3:47 am

You are making me miss my allie bars terribly! They lasted all about a day in my house! :(
I think I actually like going out for Mexican the best. Although I don’t think I’ve ever gone out for Greek or Ethiopian- two restaurants I am dying to try!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 6, 2011 at 3:47 am

tonsils, have them

the placemat, i just bought it at target last week!! I bought the LAST blue one and the LAST pink one!!! great minds think alike!

applesnoats May 6, 2011 at 3:58 am

my all time fave is greek and indian and thai are tied for second. I also like persian food but only on certain occasions

Errign May 6, 2011 at 4:12 am

I like: Thai (I eat a lot of sushi at Thai places for some reason), Indian, & Mexican.

Yes, still got my tonsils!

simplyshaka May 6, 2011 at 4:31 am

I usually opt for Japanese or sushi when I go out. When going out, I like to go out for thinks I can’t make at home.

Still have my tonsils but I was supposed to get them out a few years ago, I had so many issues with bronchitis, strep, etc but once I started losing weight, that weight away. Shocker!

cleaneatingchelsey May 6, 2011 at 4:33 am

I love eating Mexican food – it’s my favorite! I’m jealous of your relaxing night yesterday!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine May 6, 2011 at 4:49 am

Indian or Japanese, fo sho!! Though I’m going out for French tonight. And nope, my tonsils AND adenoids have been gone since I was 10!! Isn’t it such a bummer when you find out that dairy is off the list of things you can eat? And all that time you’d been promised infinite amounts of ice cream…

Heather May 6, 2011 at 4:49 am

i’ll always spring for Mexican or Italian food…i can’t pick between the two! i got my tonsils out when I was in college, and it was a terrible experience. although looking back on it i’d totally do it again :)

Lee May 6, 2011 at 5:05 am

Your egg whites don’t explode? I can get egg beaters to cook in the microwave but regular eggs always explode on me.

I like Mediterranean and Asian food the most and I still have my tonsils.

withasideofhope May 6, 2011 at 5:07 am

That egg looks so fluffy! I’ve heard that you can cook eggs in the microwave but I’ve never tried it myself. I definitely think I am going to try it sometime.

I love Mexican food most definitely! I could probably eat it every single day and not get sick of it. :) I still have my tonsils.

Claire @ Live & Love to Eat May 6, 2011 at 5:44 am

G-O-O-D, good, good.

Love me some R&TFE ;)

I could eat Mexican every day forever and ever.

janetha May 6, 2011 at 9:31 am

I am so glad you got that. Nobody else did :)

Erica May 6, 2011 at 5:59 am

Hey hey! mmm spaghetti squash. I keep forgetting to pick one up. And dinner sounds tasty. Greek food rocks. Unfortunately, Josh is NOT a fan, so I usually hit it up with friends. My favorite food to go out to is honestly Mexican…or maybe Italian. I do not have my tonsils! I got them out in 2007 and it was the best decision ever (I believe we discussed this when you were getting yours out :)).

kgirl May 6, 2011 at 6:06 am

I am always torn between thai and greek. I love falafel! And baba ghanouj!

Still have my tonsils, apparently it is rare but I have never had a problem with them.

challengeyourcloset May 6, 2011 at 6:10 am

I have two hugenormous tonsils still. I get chronic tonsillitis constantly… but I read too many horror stories about the surgery, so I think I’ll just keep them!

mering4 May 6, 2011 at 7:10 am

You should totally get them out. It’s awful, but they take your adnoids out too, now, and I have had maybe 3 colds in the last 4 and a half years since I got mine out!! It’s totally worth it!!

janetha May 6, 2011 at 9:32 am

You need to get them out!! I got sick over and over and over and finally got them out. It was 3 weeks of pure hell to recover, but I haven’t been sick since. I would do it again in a heartbeat!!!

Holly May 6, 2011 at 6:19 am

Love spag squash — I need to pick one of those babies up soon!

I still have my tonsils — thankfully I’ve never had any issues with them.

brandi May 6, 2011 at 6:25 am

I still have my tonsils!

I’m not sure how I avoided it, but I had never had any type of surgery until this past December when I had a cyst removed. No broken bones, no stitches, nothing!

julie May 6, 2011 at 6:35 am

i just needed to share with you quick before i get work done that whenever i make my egg white pillows in the microwave they explode to the side of the microwave walls hahahahaha

janetha May 6, 2011 at 9:34 am

Julie! That is why I do it on 70% power. If you do it at full power, the eggs heat up too fast and hot internally and then they explode.. but if you tweak with your microwave settings and do it on less power for a little longer, you cook the eggs slow and low and perfectly, no exploding! I had to tinker around with mine for awhile but if I do 70% power for 3 minutes it is perfect. My old microwave I had to do on 30% power because it was so powerful! Same with cooking oats in the microwave.. that is the key to no explosions!

lowandbhold May 6, 2011 at 6:42 am

I still have my tonsils. Hope to keep them forever because I hate surgery.
I love Greek food! And Indian food (eating today woo!) And Thai food! And Japanese! And Mexican! And Italian! Clearly, I don’t have a favorite and I’m super annoying with my exclamations today.

Sarah May 6, 2011 at 7:01 am

i do still have my tonsils!

i can’t choose my favorite ethnic cuisine. i love it all: indian, mexican, italian, japanese… yum.

mering4 May 6, 2011 at 7:08 am

Mexican is definitely my favorite…and so bad for you! ugh, I am pretty good at making healthier alternatives, though. I had mexican for lunch and dinner yesterday! :)

Nope, no tonsils for this girl! I got mine out Dec 15, 2006. Worst 10 days of my life. Did you feel the same way? I got them out right after my first semester of college. I remember I didn’t eat anything until Christmas Eve. It sucked!

janetha May 6, 2011 at 9:34 am

YES it was the worst recovery ever. I think maybe worse than when I broke my humerus. But so, so, so worth it!!!

katshealthcorner May 6, 2011 at 7:15 am

I still have my tonsils!

I love adding cinnamon to my yogurt! Well, I pretty much add cinnamon to everything! :)

Michelle May 6, 2011 at 7:42 am

Yum, love Greek food. I had pizza in honor of Cinco de Mayo, not really Mexican either :-)

I don’t have my tonsils anymore. I got mine out years and years ago. My mom took care of me and I basically slept for three days straight. It was nice actually, haha.

Happy Friday!

Paige is Running Around Normal May 6, 2011 at 7:50 am

I think I need to get some ranch seasoning – that combo looks good!

Trisha May 6, 2011 at 7:56 am

Mexican food is definitely my favorite. And my tonsils were taken out before I turned 2 because they were huge and restricting my airway. Sort of a big deal I guess? Haha…I don’t even remember it!

Allison @ Runs A Latte May 6, 2011 at 7:59 am

My favorite is Thia, Italian or Mexican. What an impossible question. What can I say, I love me some ethnic food.

Still got that hangy ball in my throat, and I intend to keep it that way! :)

janetha May 6, 2011 at 9:35 am

Hahaha um your tonsils are not the hangy ball!!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) May 6, 2011 at 8:44 am

You sure make crave dairy! Greek yogurt and cottage cheese is a dream come true.

Holly at Greek Yogurt and Apple Slices May 6, 2011 at 8:53 am

Totally weird, but when I first read your questions- I thought it said ‘do you still have your TOENAILS? I got mine out 2 years ago.’ I was like WHAT?! You got your TOENAILS out…and then I re-read it & felt like an idiot- lol!
But, yes, I do still have my tonsils..and my toenails too. ;)

cbrady3 May 6, 2011 at 9:13 am

I love Indian, Greek and Thai! And Japanese!! All of it.

And yes I have my tonsils…going strong

Abby May 6, 2011 at 9:41 am

I love Thai food! :) I got my tonsils out over spring break my freshman year of college. It was HELL! Worst experience of my life. lol.

Nicole @ Fresh & Fit May 6, 2011 at 9:42 am

Mexican food is my favorite. Hands down.

I don’t think I have my tonsils. I got my adenoids (which are near your tonsils) removed when I was little because I couldn’t breath through my nose and always sounded like I had a cold. Sickly, I know. When I was about twelve the doctor told me my tonsil “dissolved”. Does that make sense? Has anyone else had their tonsils just disappear?

janetha May 6, 2011 at 9:48 am

I am not sure! If not, you must be magic. You should look into that as a career! I had my tonsils and adenoids out at the same time. Pure hell.

Tessa @ Amazing Asset May 6, 2011 at 10:35 am

I’m still hanging on to my tonsils, but I am actually the only one in my close family! Both of my brothers and my mom and dad all had them out…perhaps someday? Haha
Favorite cuisine? I am pretty torn between Japanese (sushi..yum) and good old Italian comfort food!

Katie May 6, 2011 at 10:38 am

I had my tonsils out when I was 20…One of the most painful experiences!

Shannon May 6, 2011 at 11:31 am

My favorite ethnic food eating out is Mexican, but I won’t go out for it until I know what I’m allergic to. It’s some spice or something small! Very annoying. Although I do know I can eat a Chevy’s and Chipotle (thank God for Chipotle!). I’d say Italian, but I am 1/2 Italian and home cooked Italian food is 1000 times better then going out.
I actually still have my tonsils. I think my dad was the only one in our immediate family that did have his tonsils removed…

Emily May 6, 2011 at 11:35 am

I love greek food! I miss the ethiopian food from when I lived in DC. And the vietnamese place that was across the street from our apartment. One ethnic food I generally don’t like to eat out is italian. Because my dad is the greatest italian chef and nothing beats his cooking.

I have my tonsils, but have chronic problems with them! Growing up, my doctor was of the opinion that removing tonsils had become passe. So I’ve got ’em, for better or worse!

Tricia May 6, 2011 at 11:39 am

“‘Dumb’ backwards is almost ‘mood’….and I’m in the mood for you girl.”

Naomi May 6, 2011 at 11:52 am

hehe to be honest I like greek better than mexican! but I know you love mexican cuisine too! :)

that squash combo sounds STELLAR!!! i must try! I still havent had much cottage cheese ‘savory’ style like you do becauase I think I prefer it sweet style, but the ranch seasoning sounds lik ea nice touch!

favorite cuisine when dining out is greek/middleastern OR seafood–if that is a cuisine which is isnt really but its a category :)

Jen@jensdaily May 6, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Fave cuisine: Tie between Mexican and Thai; I can’t decide which one I like better!!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather May 6, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Tonsils still in tact here! I can’t believe i’ve never tried an alliebar before. They do look good! Happy friday girl! This day always make me happy happy happy.

spoonfulofsugarfree May 6, 2011 at 3:06 pm

I still have my tonsils (haha…) And I LOVE Greek, too…..Seriosuly THE BEST!

Laura May 6, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Actually, I know the F-O-O-D FOOD FOOD (along with something about food in the belly being G-O-O-D good good) because when I used to go to dance camp every year in high school, we would always chant that when waiting for lunch. I had no idea it came from a Reggie song!!