take a load off.

by Janetha on May 1, 2011

in meals

today i rolled out of bed at 11:45 AM.  it’s true.

first, marshall and i fell asleep on the couch around 1 AM while watching iron chef: battle avocado last night (dozed off just before seeing who won.. you better believe i googled it before even getting out of bed to see who won. of course it was iron chef bobbly flay. figures.)  we then woke up and wandered into bed (after a pit stop to the bathroom) at 5 AM.

woke up again at 9:30 AM when marshall asked me, “aren’t you going to your yoga class?”

i rolled over in his general direction. “what time is it?” i ask.

“nine thirty,” he tells me.

"uggg,” (insert groans) “i guess not.” (the class was at ten and it takes 30 minutes to get there.)

i then rolled back over, grabbed my phone, played a couple rounds of words with friends and dozed back to sleep.  until 11:45.  i had a dream about work, so i guess that counts as productivity in some way, shape or form, right? side note: am i the only one who dreams about their day job? i do all the time and it is really quite unpleasant.

after using the bathroom and brushing my teeth, i had one thing and one thing only on my mind: pancakes.  it is pancake sunday, afterall.

i got to work on some cast iron skillet protein pancakes, using my tried and true recipe:

• 1/3 cup oats
  • 1/3 cup cottage cheese
  • 2 egg whites
  • generous shake of cinnamon
  • generous splash of vanilla extract
  • a few pinches of baking powder

after blending the ingredients together in my magic bullet and heating the skillet to medium, i cooked up two large and in charge protein pancakes. i usually make 4 or 5 little ones on the griddle, but the cast iron skillet was begging to be used. turns out, this was brilliant.. cast iron skillets make REAL good pancakes.

because of my no sugar added challenge, i couldn’t top the pancakes with my usual mighty maple peanut butter and sugar free syrup.  improvisation is key. i went with a whole sliced banana and some two-ingredient [peanuts, salt] nut butter.

i didn’t miss my usual pancake go-to toppings. not a bit. i mean, look at this.. why would i?

i went ahead and drank a whole french press pot of coffee all to myself. i am still working on the last little bit as i type this.  my mug is right, it’s one big ‘ol mug of coffee.

i changed my flower vase to display the question we are all asking ourselves here in utah:

luckily the sun is shining today, even though it is still a bit drafty. it is warm enough for the pups to soak up some sunshine on the deck, so that’s a step in the right direction.

after i publish this post, i will probably read my new issue of shape that came in the mail.. even though i have a to-do list a mile long.  i don’t want to think about it right now.

yesterday was real productive. i did almost all the laundry, deep cleaned the kitchen and living room, dusted all the furniture, went to the gym for an hour, typed a guest post, did some behind-the-blog work, organized the laundry room and went out to dinner with friends.

you would think that after my busy day yesterday, i wouldn’t have anything left, but i do!

i have to do insanity.

there is a new sink full of dirty dishes.

i have a whole ROOM full of clean laundry to be folded.

i have to grocery shop for the week—costco, sunflower market and target.

i have to clean two bathrooms.

i have to prep everything for my SIL’s birthday dinner tonight.

i have to reply to numerous emails.

among other things…

but guess what? i am going to take a load off. i have been running around, going and doing all week long. sometimes we deserve a break. sometimes we need to sleep in until quarter til noon. sometimes we can make the chores wait ‘til later.

so i am going to heat up my mug-o-coffee, grab my magazine and take a cue from my basking basset and lazing little one…

IMG_2354IMG_2348

…and take a load off. just for a bit. because i not only want to, i truly believe i need to. (and yes, i am definitely soaking up as much free time as possible before having kids–i realize lots of you can’t just throw your kids on the porch on a dog bed in the sun and kick your feet up with a magazine.)

don’t forget to take a load off yourself sometime soon. you need to.

1. what do you like to do when taking a break from the to-dos?

2. what is the latest you have ever slept in, like.. ever? okay, maybe not when you were a baby, but as far back as you can remember. i remember once, in high school, kristen and i had a sleepover and we both slept in until 3 PM! we woke up and couldn’t believe it.

p.s. i just got this steal-of-a-deal groupon on sunless tanning.  it’s done at my hair salon and they are legit. save your skin and go for the sunless option. if you live in utah, this one’s a must-buy.

edenseats May 1, 2011 at 12:05 pm

11 am is not so terrible. In college, I slept until 4pm not once but multiple times! I slept in by accident a few times during the week but on the weekend, I ended up waking up a tad earlier than usual. Odd, I know.

I once fell asleep to watching bobby flay’s show on steak and I woke up really wanting steak!

And you wanna hear something neat? Sure you do. Im reading this eating pancakes.

Holly @ The Runny Egg May 1, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Yes enjoy your day — sometimes I am the most productive when I decide to NOT be productive for a while.

The latest I have slept in is probably 1-2pm? And that was when I was in high school on spring break. A few weekends ago I remember TRYING to sleep in but I was wide awake by 8am. Being an adult sucks sometimes!

janae @hungryrunnergirl.com May 1, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Our mornings sound identical:) Good for you to take a break, you DO NEED IT. Those pancakes look so so good! When I take a break from the to-do’s, I usually watch tv or read or go get ice cream. Enjoy the rest of the day gorgeous girl!

vanessa May 1, 2011 at 12:20 pm

ugh, i dream about work all the time! i also dream about grocery shopping. last night, after watching a particularly gory episode of CSI, I had a dream about one of my staff getting dismembered. passive aggressive (and disturbing) dreams…

Heather May 1, 2011 at 12:21 pm

I love sleeping in so much! Yesterday I slept til 10 which is an extra five hours for me. Never happens! The latest though is 3pm….no idea how I went that long!

Michelle... May 1, 2011 at 12:26 pm

I think in college there were definitely some 3pm or later sleep-ins that happened after all-nighters. And shamefully, the BF and I managed to sleep till 2 today. No good reason either…I went out with some friends last night, but was home by 2am and only had couple drinks, so there was really no need for 12 hours of sleep. Whoops!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 1, 2011 at 12:28 pm

“i realize lots of you can’t just throw your kids on the porch on a dog bed in the sun and kick your feet up with a magazine”…Oh crap, really? Oops. ;)

Glad you enjoyed your sugar-free pancakes. Sugar definitely did not look necessary on that plate, but I have to say my favorite part of your breakfast is the flower vase. That is so fun that you can change the message. What a clever idea! I love it.

Glad you’re kicking back for a while Janetha as I know you stay super busy. There is nothing better than enjoying a good magazine with a warm mug of coffee in the sunshine. Sounds heavenly. :)

elise May 1, 2011 at 12:31 pm

i think im college i once slept in til 5 pm. i remember having dinner at a BBQ as my first meal of the day and thinking i had really hit a low point. haha.
well done on the solo french press work :)

Cindy May 1, 2011 at 12:38 pm

i think the latest for me is 1:30pm, back when i was in my early 20s…that was pretty normal for me…now i can’t even imagine! i’m such an early bird now.

i’m doing the exact same thing as you right now…i’ve got tons to do, but i’m chilling with a mug of tea, and caught up on my newspaper reading. ahhhh…. :)

lindsay May 1, 2011 at 12:39 pm

is there anyway you can teach me how to sleep in? No matter what time I go to bed, I naturally wake up by 6am…..at the latest. JUST CALL ME FREAK OF NATURE!

lowandbhold May 1, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I love to sleep in. The latest is probably around or so back in high school or early college.

Tammy May 1, 2011 at 12:49 pm

The last time I slept in was almost two years ago. Right before the birth of my first child. So yes, enjoy and relax!! Littles are wonderful, and they take all your time!

ps. Love your blog. :)

Erica May 1, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Oh my gosh- I’m so jealous of your sleep-ability! I’ve just never been good at sleeping in. When I was a baby, my Mom said I was an awesome sleeper. But since then? Not so much. I pushed as hard as I could this morning and only stayed in bed until 8 (and I was up for about an hour before that!). The message on the vase is great :) Heres hoping you get some warmth. And I obviously <3 the puppers laying in the sun. Great productive Saturday you had!! Mine was very similar.

1. what do you like to do when taking a break from the to-dos? Definitely read magazines, blog, bake, go for a nice walk!

2. what is the latest you have ever slept in, like.. ever? uhhh maybe 11?

marie would May 1, 2011 at 1:00 pm

what an apropos post! sometimes i read blogs and do the inevitable comparison that ‘so and so got all this done on a sunday before 10, and i just woke up and how could i do thissssss to myself, i am going to suffer because i am lazy blah blah blah’ but you are so on the $.

things will get done, sleeping in once and a while and taking a break from all the ‘i should work out, i should be doing this or that’, isn’t that what sunday is for?

Monica May 1, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Janetha, I had the VERY SAME THING for breakfast this morning (minus the naner). That too is my tried and true protein p-cake recipe! Great minds think alike! ;) And when I want it to have a little more fat and taste a little more buttery/fatty, I do 1 whole egg and 1 white instead. Good stuff.

Nowadays, 7:00 is sleeping in for me. Seriously? I think my grandma sleeps in later than that. But in my 20s I would regularly sleep in until 10 or 11…noon if I had gone out the night before. Now I can’t even FATHOM sleeping that late. These days, I’ve already had 2 meals, a workout and hit 2 grocery stores by the time noon rolls around! :)

Kerryne May 1, 2011 at 1:15 pm

LOL… must have been a pancake morning all around. I actually whipped out my waffle maker and did my oatmeal waffles this morning. MUCH NEEDED. YUM! It is so nice to sleep in. Although for me.. I would rather my kids sleep in and me get up early and enjoy some ALONE time since that is so rare :) This one time… years ago I pulled an all nighter with my friends, and then decided to go tanning so that I could have a little power nap. HA. I went tanning at around noon… and when I came out from the tanning salon, feeling great by the way I looked at my clock in the car and it was AFTER 3. HOLY cow. I never went back. I wonder how many times they banged on the door. EMBARRASSING. :)

Enjoy your Sunday, relax and take a load off!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 1, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Girl I work crazy hours and routinely go to bed at 6am and sleep til 10am and then start over and do it all again. There are no rules to my sleeping anymore. If I get 5 hours, strung together, all at once, that’s a good day for me. Glad you slept in!

And glad you’re taking a load off and getting in some mental sanity time before the massive chores list. I want to be like you when I grow up :)

Simply Life May 1, 2011 at 1:24 pm

those pancakes look like a perfect breakfast!

lifttorun May 1, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I rarely sleep in anymore. I hate it. When I did like it, I slept until like ten or so. Now I can barely sleep in past seven.

Have a good Sunday!

*Andrea* May 1, 2011 at 1:40 pm

those pancakes look great – even without mighty maple ;) i’m trying to reduce my sugar amounts too.

bummer you missed yoga…i often try to make it to yoga at 9:45am on weekends but if my body wants to sleep, i let it sleep :D weekends are for relaxing in my opinion!

the latest i slept was 3:45pm on spring break last year..but i really didn’t go to bed until sunrise ha!

Katie May 1, 2011 at 2:08 pm

omg ‘sleeping in’ is non-existent in my life! ha! I am glad you got to girl!

I am getting tired reading your to do list you have today, so u DEF deserved to sleep in!

I so LOVE the doggies pics! I always do : ) oh yeah the pancake pics are pretty hot ; )

Love you!

xoxo

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather May 1, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Dang girl you slept in so late! I was the opposite this morning. Up at 5am. Bleh – online test due today for class that I was stressin about. All done now though!

Joe is outside soaking up the sun like your lil ones too. I think I might go join him.

Mackenzie May 1, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I have hypersomnia, so I regularly sleep in late. It’s a good day if I’m out of bed by 10! I also live in a basement, so that doesn’t help. Last week, I went to bed at 6am and slept til 6pm. Hulu is addictive! :)

Sweet Cheeks May 1, 2011 at 2:45 pm

I’m taking a load off today, too. The past week has been a stressful one and I agree that we need to give ourselves a good break every now and then so that we can keep going strong. Enjoy!!

Chels May 1, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Usually when I take a break from my to-do’s I blog or read…actually today I was very proud of myself, I slept in until 8:30. Because I get up so early during the week, it seems as if my brain has an internal alarm clock now and even on the weekends I never sleep past seven which I HATE! Luckily today I slept in a little bit more, it might have been because of the few extra glasses of wine I had last night :)
I agree with you, those pancakes look awesome!!

BrocStar May 1, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I love how everyone is posting their “In college, I slept in until X pm!” My real sleeping in happened on the weekends in high school, latest was 2 pm. In college, I’m almost always up by 9, 11 at the latest. Most days is 7.

Trisha May 1, 2011 at 3:18 pm

my ideal “veg” day is waking up without an alarm clock, whenever that is, eating a yummy breakfast, working out, and then showering and putting sweats back on and sitting in bed reading. seriously. that sounds divine. enjoy your day off!

Annette @EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 1, 2011 at 3:32 pm

I take naps–usually 2-3 hour long ones, when I need to take a load off. Or I dance. Or do yoga/stretch. or cry ;)

Have fun relaxing!!

Heather May 1, 2011 at 4:04 pm

I love that you stayed in bed until 11:45 – I really need a morning like that! So jealous. :)
Happy Sunday!

valen May 1, 2011 at 4:08 pm

I’m 21 and the latest I ever slept in was 8am. That is late for me.

cleaneatingchelsey May 1, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I think the latest I ever stayed in bed was until 2! That was definitely my college days haha!

I thought the same thing about having kids today when I zoned out and took a nap for an hour. I thought – “well, I better do it now since I wono’t be able to do it in a few years!!”

katshealthcorner May 1, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Peanut Butter and Bananas are my usual toppings for Pancakes! :D

Abby May 1, 2011 at 5:32 pm

I love writing really lame things on my to-do list so that I can relax and still feel productive by crossing something off–go for a walk, watch game at 1pm, tea and sit outside to watch the squirrels, read new issue of magazine, etc. Done, done, done. Still productive!

Did you pick the Visa winners yet? Did I miss that on Saturday?

1970kikiproject May 1, 2011 at 5:52 pm

love how you drank the pot of coffee by yourself (and in a very fun mug, too!) – now THAT’S a great sunday indulgence!
latest sleep in? likely 11 a.m. or noon in high school…have never been one for crazy late nights and i can’t sleep when it’s super light out!
so glad you recharged today…now you’ll be energized for the family party tonight – have fun!!!
i use blogging and walking/doing errands as procrastination techniques – much more fun than chores in the home!

Christy Gilvear May 1, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Those pancakes look scrumptious!
Enjoy sleeping in before you have kids.
I love Food Network! It is the best.

Meg May 1, 2011 at 5:55 pm

I’m glad I’m not the only one guilty of sleeping in incredibly late! The latest I’ve ever slept is probably 1 or 2. And yes, when I was working, I totally had stressful work dreams! Time off from my to do list is usually spent eating, baking or reading. ;)

Lee May 1, 2011 at 6:03 pm

There were definitely some times in my life when I’ve slept until 2pm. Recently, there have been a couple of 11 or noons but not many.

simplyshaka May 1, 2011 at 6:27 pm

I love seeing dogs sun bathe :) I still have dreams about waitressing in college.

2) I think the latest I ever slept in was 2 or 3p back in college due to a fraternity formal I went to the night before. Sleeping in now for me is 8 or 9am all because of a little dog with a tiny bladder. If it weren’t for him hopping on my chest each morning and licking me, I would be in bed for a couple of more hours.

1) Blog :), sleep, watch tv, catch up on reading

rebecca lustig May 1, 2011 at 6:40 pm

my body gets me up by 830am everyday, no matter what… although i set my alarm anyways, justttt incase ha

we need lazy days– the perfect opportunity for some self-care– crucial for our health ya know

Paige is Running Around Normal May 1, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Wow, this sounds like a fabulously relaxing day. And you TOTALLY deserve it :)

Salah May 1, 2011 at 7:16 pm

This day sounds sooo nice, when I take a break from my to-do’s I usually am catching up on blogs and my tv shows (i don’t have cable at home). The latest I have ever slept in is like 3, but that was like freshman year of college when I had been out till like 6am (no kidding) and didn’t fall asleep till like 8am b/c I was busy taking care of a sick friend from that night out….good times-ish. ;-)

Lisa (I'm an Okie) May 1, 2011 at 7:41 pm

I took a load off today–I had a 4 hour nap! :) haha.

Hope you enjoyed your afternoon!

kissmybroccoli May 1, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I think I had a pretty good balance today…somewhat productive…somewhat lazy! I did laundry (though one load is still in the dryer! Whoops!), washed dishes, straightened up the main living areas, paid bills, AND went grocery shopping and I still had time to clean out my Google Reader, type up a guest post, AND type my post of the day! Wow…I thought I had a pretty relaxing day, but now that I type it all up, I have no idea how I got all that done! Haha!

Freckled Foodie May 2, 2011 at 5:57 am

tee hee. i saw your facebook post about this and laughed out loud. nothing wrong with taking a day to sleep in :) rest is just as good for our bodies as nutritious food, right? you were doing yourself a favor ;)

xo.

Pure2raw twins May 2, 2011 at 6:53 pm

isn’t nice sometimes to have no schedule, no set plans…I thinking taking the load off every once and while is great! just wish I could to it more

kellyo May 3, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I don’t really sleep in much. I LOVE early mornings when the air is fresh, the day is full of promise and the neighbors are quiet! Where did you get that vase? I love, love it!!! Oh, I’m in Southeast Idaho…almost neighbors!

Susan May 4, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Reason #59234 why I love you: You drink coffee by the french press like I do! No shame my friend. My dad has a mug that fits a whole french press too, but it’s too heavy to lift with just one arm! Trying not to get uneven muscles here ;)