chipping away at blogger recipes.

by Janetha on April 28, 2011

in meals

YO. today’s post is going to be less than stellar because

1- it’s late!

2- i’m sleepy!

3- nothing mind- or earth-shattering happened to me today.

4- there is a spot on the couch right between these two furry beans that is totally calling my name.

IMG_2124IMG_2112

so cute.

i always bookmark recipes i see on my friends’ blogs and always have the best intentions to make all of the recipes i bookmark.. then i end up making my own recipes and those delicious blogger recipes fall by the wayside. it’s tragic, really.

but today was different! today i ate a whole lot of food that was inspired by other bloggers and now i am going to rave about their recipes.

last night i took the necessary steps to make HEAB’s cookie dough smoothie.  this morning, i finished off the steps and took it to work so i could devour it at my desk with my morning coffee and loads of emails.

i realized my camera was dead [fail] and by the time i could charge it enough to have enough juice to take a photo, the smoothie was looking less than stellar. soo.. i stole heather’s photo to give you an idea of what i was eating.

image [source.]

imagine that, but in a green bowl instead of her cute colorful one.. and take off all that baker’s chocolate. i was out. because i used the last of mine to make ashley’s brownies last night.

i followed heather’s recipe for the most part but made the following changes: added a scoop of protein powder, used all almond milk, omitted the stevia and chocolate chips, used a heck of a lot more cinnamon than a pinch and added 1 TB unsweetened cocoa powder (at the same time as the nutritional yeast).  mine turned out a little runny, so next time i am going to use less liquid.  the taste, however, was great! and it kept me full for five hours. FIVE! thanks for a great recipe, HEABs.

lunch was leftovers of the amazing fish tacos i posted about earlier today.  instead of using tortillas, i made a bed of cabbage and cilantro and piled the leftover ingredients on top.

IMG_2079

eaten glamorously at my desk.

out of tupperware.

IMG_2082

with a plastic fork.

IMG_2087

go green? not so much. i need to remember to not use plastic utensils.

this was a delicious lunch! and super filling! fish taco salads need to happen more often. i loved the cabbage in place of lettuce.

my snack today was a savory one consisting of wasa crackers + cottage cheese.. i am positive you can imagine what this looked like. i will spare you the photo.

the wasas and cottage cheese were good, but i really was wishing i had paige’s new favorite snack. did you guys catch that post? i gotta try that!

after work i headed to bikram and had a nice, sweaty class with momma b and my friend lindsay.  i held the camel pose for two minutes and then almost barfed. it was great.

dinner was almost effortless because i put it all in the crock pot earlier today!

IMG_2094

yes it is still snowing on and off here in utah, therefore crockpot dinners are still totally acceptable.

it was teri’s vegetarian chili + ashley’s cornbread. two more great blogger recipes! all i had to do when i got home was make the cornbread and that took less than 5 minutes to whip up and 25 minutes to bake.

dinner!

the changes i made to the chili: i omited the worcestershire sauce (it has molasses in it) and sugar since those both go against my challenge—but i didn’t miss those ingredients at all! this chili actually ended up being really sweet without those things. i am not sure if i am just more sensitive to natural sugars or what.. but marshall did say it was a little sweeter than the chili i usually make. either way, sweet or not, this recipe was incredible. and easy. go make it. now.

i also omitted the sugar in ashley’s cornbread recipe.. again, didn’t miss it at all. the savory cornbread complimented the sweet chili PERFECTLY. the bread had great texture.. i think this was due to the combo of the cornmeal and the flax. plus, it was super simple! this was the easiest cornbread recipe ever. i love you, ash.

thanks for the delicious dinner idea, girls!

well, i am going to call it a night and go hang out with my little furballs (well, and marshall, he isn’t a furball…)~ but you can bet i will be having deb’s protein cake (sans sweetener) before i hit the hay! i am addicted to this one!

(photo is from the other night—i sent it to deb because i was so proud of my protein cake making abilities.)

there are a LOT more blogger recipes on my agenda.. there are just not enough meals in a day to eat my way through blog land! slowly but surely, i will get to all of them.

check ya later! friday tomorrow—yesss!

1. what blogger recipes are you hooked on right now?

2. it’s afternoon snack time talk! do you prefer something sweet or savory?

Stephanie@MyThornsHaveRoses April 28, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Your fish tacos look pretty stellar this week. ;)

emily April 28, 2011 at 8:56 pm

1. I’ve been all about Jenna’s (EatLiveRun) desserts this past year. Caramel sauce, yuuuuuuuuum!

2. I think my sugar-O-face above makes my answer for this one clear!

runyogarepeat April 28, 2011 at 9:10 pm

I like savory afternoon snacks or fruit!

The Sometimes Healthy Girl April 28, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I second the comment on fish tacos. And I love PB Fingers smoothie bowls and Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life’s cupcakes. Oh and I love Holly from Greek Yogurt and Apple Slices recipes as well. She is so good at healthifying and making her recipes accessible!

megan @ muncher cruncher April 28, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Ok…all of those pics are mouthwatering. I need to try some of these recipes!
And YES PLEASE to lunch with me you and Janae! I love this idea! xoxoxo

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) April 28, 2011 at 11:30 pm

You have no idea how happy I am that you finally got the recipe to work but I can’t wait to give you the dark chocolate cocoa- it will change your world.

1. I’m a bad bad blog reader. I have been away and barely have read a thing. But I’m tempted to make some socca pizza (I know I’m months behind on this trend!)

2. Sweet sweet sweet. Sometimes I don’t even want savory for my meals so I have more sweet stuff as my main meal (kabocha/almond butter, sweet greek yogurt). I guess it’s better than doing faceplants into twinkies right?

Countdown: 2 weeks!!! :-D

Ellie April 28, 2011 at 11:35 pm

I only had it once this week but I loved the fitnessista’s cookie! :) have you tried it? If not, I recommend it hehe. Well, and obviously I’ve been loving voo’s

edenseats April 28, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Deb Deb Deb Deb I cant get enough of her and her recipes especially when she makes them for moi.
Not to toot my own horn, but my creations are pretty bomb. Actually, I’ll toot away!

MelissaNibbles April 29, 2011 at 2:30 am

The leftover fish tacos look GOOD!

1970kikiproject April 29, 2011 at 3:02 am

eesh, still getting snow?! wow…yup, crockpot meals are totally in order, in that case!
i like apple with peanut butter as my aft snack…so i guess that falls under the “sweet” more than the savoury category!
have a great friday, j! i’m royal wedding watching at the moment – more excited than i thought i would be! certainly a unique way to start the day!

Lauren April 29, 2011 at 3:48 am

I often find inspiration from blog recipes. For example, I will never eat eggs without jam again thanks to Kath. And sweet potato and black beans are a match made in heaven. Nut Butter Fries….NO WORDs!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 29, 2011 at 4:09 am

Blogger recipes Im hooked on…well, I’ve been doing a weekly roundup of food Ive seen that i really want to make and great posts of the week (have included your posts a couple times in the past few weeks in them actually) but gosh, so much food, so little time.

Great roundup girlie!!!

Holly @ The Runny Egg April 29, 2011 at 4:34 am

Your food looks incredible — actually the next blog recipe I want to try are your fish tacos from yesterday! They looked so good.

Paige is Running Around Normal April 29, 2011 at 4:38 am

1st. Cute post idea!!

2nd. Thanks for the shout out! I really can’t describe why frozen nuts on nut butter and banana taste so. delicious! It also has no added sugar ;)

3rd. I need to try HEAB’s smoothie and see if I like it any better than Kath’s…

Heather April 29, 2011 at 5:03 am

all of these recipes sound wonderful, and i am really craving chili and cornbread now. at 6am. wheeeeeeee :)

applesnoats April 29, 2011 at 5:04 am

i love cornbread so much and this looks awesome!
i normally prefer sweet snacks, but really I crave sweet for almost every meal anyways.

Erica April 29, 2011 at 5:27 am

I love blogger inspired recipes :) I don’t know where my dinners and bars/cookies/desserts in general would be without blog world. I’ve been meaning to try HEAB’s cookie dough smoothie for a while now- looks amazing. And I am totally going to find that cornbread recipe. I am digging Jenna’s sun butter cookies right now. I also have about 20 other recipes book marked- I need to get workin! Happy Friday

Tiffany @ Simply Shaka April 29, 2011 at 5:39 am

Damn, I need to try that smoothie–stat! I tried cookie dough flavored protein powder before but can’t remember who made it.

I am all about the salty in the afternoon.

withasideofhope April 29, 2011 at 5:42 am

I love trying other blogger’s recipes. I often save them on my computer and go back when I have no clue what to make for dinner. :)

Typically I like something salty or with crunch in the afternoon. Not so much sweet or savory.

Abby April 29, 2011 at 5:55 am

I am hooked on Kath’s Colorful Beans and Rice. lol. I have eaten it for 4 meals this week!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather April 29, 2011 at 7:08 am

I am constantly bookmarking recipes too and it keeps growing, but I always forget about trying them out :( Must make that chili though! I’m always down with a crockpot recipe.

lowandbhold April 29, 2011 at 7:24 am

Usually I prefer savory snacks, but lately I’ve been going crazy for sweets!

brandi April 29, 2011 at 8:09 am

i want to try that smoothie, too! i just have to find nutritional yeast around here.

Gillian April 29, 2011 at 8:34 am

I’m so bad at trying recipes, I love just throwing things into a dish and seeing what happens! But I suppose I am loving making variations of Gena from Choosing Raw’s chia puddings! Yum!

I love a sweet afternoon snack, but since I try to avoid sugar I’ve been switching to salty! Loving seaweed snacks!

Lauren April 29, 2011 at 9:02 am

This post has left me feeling ridiculously hungry and ridiculously excited to cook something!!

Carol April 29, 2011 at 9:08 am

Thanks for sharing all the recipes you have tried! Totally making the protein cakes this weekend! Hope you have a great Friday!

Kerryne April 29, 2011 at 10:02 am

Now I am STARVING :) I LOVE me some fish tacos… nothing better than home made ones at that. Can’t wait to try those brownies. I keep seeing recipes for them with the black beans but have been too scared to try them out. I am on it though… its about to happen! Whoop Whoop!

cbrady3 April 29, 2011 at 10:13 am

Did you for real hold camel for 2 minutes? that’s just not right.

janetha April 29, 2011 at 10:22 am

yes! it was the second time i have done it. this one instructor always does the 2 minute camel challenge and this was the second time i got her as the instructor so i was real excited to try it again! it’s so hard! my whole body kind of goes numb…

p.s. watch yo mail

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 29, 2011 at 11:42 am

I have so many blogger recipes bookmarked as well. I could probably try a new one everyday for a year and still not make them all. Hmm, now there’s a fun challenge.

I’ve decided that cornbread needs no sweetener. I like it with and without, but honestly, it’s just as delicious sans honey, maple syrup, etc.

So happy to hear the smoothie did its job to keep you full, and it looks like you got Deb’s muffin down pat, altitude or not. :)

I haven’t had lunch yet – any fish taco salad leftovers?

kissmybroccoli April 29, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Oh that taco salad looks great! I bet it was even better leftover once the flavors had time to meld more…mmm, just like leftover chili! I swear some meals were just meant to be served 24 hours later!

I think I’m addicted to trying every single one of Ashley’s buckwheat bakes…I can’t decide which one is my favorite! And Deb’s protein cake is the best! The perfect late night snack!

I’m more of a savory afternoon snack person, but lately I’ve just been eating apples and jelly beans! Haha!

jackie April 29, 2011 at 1:56 pm

so excited to try some of these recipes! i save all the good looking ones to pinterest to keep track.
the fish tacos sound amazing!

Freckled Foodie May 2, 2011 at 5:55 am

my oat cakes are similar to debs! i’m a huge fan of anything that is THAT easy to make…and in a single serving size! something about my will power just doesn’t like when i make a whole pan of baked goods :)

xo.