random wednesday blabber.

by Janetha on April 27, 2011

in meals

sometimes i just think of things and they really never make the blog. today, i am going to put some of those random thoughts in writing. in between my meals & moves, of course, because otherwise there would be no photos. and i know the only reason you read my blog is for my sub-par photographs. right? of course, right.

day #3 of the no sugar added challenge went off without a hitch. because some of you mentioned you would be interested in seeing what i am eating throughout this self imposed challenge, i went ahead and documented all of it. feel free to skim over the detailed eats and skip straight to the high quality random blabber. enticing, i know.

breakfast: 1 cup puffed brown rice + 1/4 cup old fashioned oats + 3/4 cup skim milk & 1 whole egg + 2 egg whites + 21 seasoning salute.

IMG_2009

280 calories, 30g protein, 40g carbs, 2g fat, 12g sugar (from milk)

you didn’t think i wouldn’t find a way to eat cereal, did you? i am a cereal whore. this puffed rice cereal is ONE ingredient long: puffed brown rice. can’t beat that. well, unless you have kamut puffs.. which are even better.. anyway, this was great.

IMG_2004

more eggs. i need to get my butt to costco to buy more. i threw a yolk in today for good measure and some added calories / fat.

IMG_2006

this morning i saw that the livingsocial.com deal was right up my alley.. $20 for a manicure/pedicure.  i have been in the market for a pedicure and i never have had a manicure (aside from when i have gotten fake nails—ugh, never again!) and i typiaclly pay $25 for a pedicure, so i swooped up the deal. utah folks, there is still time!

i am addicted to the group discount websites. i can’t stop buying things i don’t need.

lunch: half a block of extra firm tofu [diced] + half a large baked sweet potato [diced] + 1/2 cup cottage cheese + ~2 tsp braggs liquid aminos.

IMG_2014

360 calories, 33g protein, 48g carbs, 6g fat, 17g sugar (14g from potato and 3g from cottage cheese)

not one, not two but THREE of my nosy co-workers came into my office while i was eating lunch today and asked me what the hell i was eating. i think these guys have never seen tofu before. i really wish they would just leave me alone while i ate lunch.. but that’s not happening anytime soon.

IMG_2016

anyway, back to the food. this random combo was so tasty! even though it is a little boring to the eye, it was delicious and i loved the various textures.

speaking of co-workers.. i have never mentioned that i run a window company. yeah.. that’s my “day job”.  how have i failed to tell you guys that? not sure. yep. that’s what i do.  i don’t have a real title. i just kind of do it all.. anything that is thrown my way! anyway, we make windows, and i realized a lot of you guys are local. and some of you might need replacement windows. we have them in our house so when i say they are awesome windows, i speak from experience. plus, we are the only company that builds our own windows locally. gotta support the local economy, right? anyway, case in point: if you need/want vinyl windows in your house, just holler! i can get you the janetha special aka a real good deal. i have no idea why i never thought to clue you in on that hook up before!

snack: 1/2 cup plain fat free greek yogurt + large and in charge banana + 1 TB organic peanut butter.

IMG_2020

280 calories, 16g protein, 39g carbs, 8g fat, 22g sugar (16g from banana, 1g from PB and 5g from yogurt)

the organic PB at costco has two ingredients: peanuts and salt. no sugar here, mister. my jar is almost gone, though. when it is, i want to try to make my own sweetener-free maple nut butter. stay tuned.

IMG_2023

this next random thought is more for those in weight loss mode.. so if that doesn’t apply to you.. i suggest you skip it. i know people sometimes get offended with things related to what i am about to type. there’s your disclaimer.

because i am not eating sugar this week, i couldn’t use my usual defense tactics while baking.  after work, i had to bake a batch of peanut butter chip brownies for the winner of mara’s flea market, and that had “batter licking” written all over it. the batter is sinfully delicious.  usually when i bake, i chew a piece of gum so i don’t consume mass amounts of batter and/or cookie dough.  it’s a good method and it works for me.  well, since i can’t chew gum this week, i had to recruit good, old fashioned self control.  while baking, i was wearing a pair of jeans that haven’t fit for quite awhile (and they fit now—yay!) and actually used THAT as my motivation to not have even the tiniest lick of the batter.  sooo, i got to thinking, an even better way to not take random bites, licks or tastes while baking is to wear a pair of jeans that are a little too snug.  that one pair of jeans you are working so hard to get into. you know how uncomfortable it is to be squeezed into a pair of too-tight jeans, right? it’s basically the only thing i can think about when i have them on. licking brownie batter bowls isn’t going to make those jeans fit.. so next time you are having a hard time resisting those beaters, just throw on a pair of jeans you are working on fitting into.  i’m pretty impressed at how well this method worked for me and wanted to share it with you.

and ashley, your brownies are on their way!

speaking of baked goods..remember that one time i got married? and remember how i had the dopest houndstooth cake?

well, my cake maker has a blog now. and he posted about our cake. and i wanted to share that with you. so click here to see the cake post. and if you are in utah and are in the market for a cake.. adam is your man. his cakes are ridiculous, delicious and amazing.

well.. that is all i have for you guys tonight. i have to go get to work on dinner—fish tacos! i got a pound of fresh opah from the fish market and have been wanting to make fish tacos ever since marshall agreed to start eating fish.

i will post how they turned out tomorrow.

in the meantime, if you want to hear more from me, check out my guest post on get healthy with heather! i talk about three of my favorite grains and there is a delicious recipe for a three grain mediterranean salad.

yum.

hope this post was random enough for you.

BYE!

1. do you ever buy from any group coupon websites? what deals have you purchased? in addition to the one i got above, i have purchased several restaurant deals, summer passes to the water park (can’t wait!), one to american apparel and one to a frame store. i always wait til the last minute to use them.. right up until the day they expire! fail.

2. do people ever give you a hard time and critique your meals? how do you handle it? i used to get really frustrated when people tried to make fun of the way i eat.. but these days i am so used to it that i shrug it off and tell them to go away.

Morgan @ My Name is Morgan and I'm a Pumpaholic April 28, 2011 at 9:31 am

All the tastes I take while baking are my downfall. How did I never think of gum, wtf! I think the too small jeans are a great idea! Next baking adventure will occur in my bathing suit with gum in my mouth haha

melissadishes April 28, 2011 at 10:20 am

I wish the gum chewing thing worked for me in the kitchen.

I buy Groupons all of the time. LOVE that site.

I get comments about my food all of the time. I usually just smile and nod. Maybe the occasional “well you aren’t the one eating it”.

Jessica @ Healthy Dairyland April 28, 2011 at 10:36 am

I love Groupon and Living Social! I’ve been patiently waiting for a mani/pedi deal in my area for weeks now. I’m in desperate need of both. My favorite deals are spa stuff or deals for my favorite restaurants.

Allison @ Runs A Latte April 28, 2011 at 10:38 am

Ha! I’m always scoping out living social and groupon. My lovely finace randomly buys me spa ones, but I’ve never really done that kinda thing. I still have to get a facial, manicure and pedicure. Never had a mani/pedi. I bite my nails like crazy and don’t really have any nails to make pretty, and my runner’s feet are so disgusting I don’t think I’d wish anyone to have to touch them, so we’ll see about that! Maybe one day if I ever feel girlie again, I’ll do it.

cbrady3 April 28, 2011 at 11:10 am

I get groupon, but i rarely buy them. I guess I have good self control. I just know I’ll never actually go to half of those restaurants!

As for meal critics…ALL the time. But im confident in my choices and actually think they are missing out when they call something weird or gross. Doesn’t bother me much…just a chance to educate!

C... April 28, 2011 at 11:16 am

The peanut butter looks like baby poop. Does it taste good? I never had used groupons. The whole tight jeans thing, I can relate too. Still working on getting into some tight ones myself.

janetha April 28, 2011 at 11:18 am

Haha well yes.. Tastes like regular old peanut butter! Not poop.

Sent from my iPhone

Devon April 28, 2011 at 11:22 am

Just today my co-workers called me a weirdo for eating oatmeal out of the end of a peanut butter jar. Some people just don’t get it.

Amanda April 28, 2011 at 12:02 pm

I’m seriously addicted to the group deal sites too, and might have to self impose a max number of purchases soon – but they are such awesome deals! I’ve gotten deals for restaurants, mani/pedis, various workout classes (my favorite find), and this week I got a Shark Vac and Steam (which I have been coveting since Christmas) for 1/3 of the price in the store! Score!
And people think what I eat is weird all the time, probably because I like to test the edges of normal with my salad combos these days…

Shanna, like Banana April 28, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Love the idea of a tofu/sweet potato / cottage cheese combo..thanks for the idea!

Also am diggin’ the idea of too-tight jeans while baking. I also do this when going to a dinner party since I inevitably will eat about 10x’s as much as normal. The tightness reminds me that I’m going to be super uncomfortable!

Kalyn April 28, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Mmm, your quinoa bowl looks delicious! I’ve been trying to reduce the amount of sugar I consume, and I’m finding it really- like REALLY- diffcult, so I give you major props for how well you’re doing!

coffeeandthepaper April 28, 2011 at 4:17 pm

I really enjoy your “random blabber”! LOL at “remember that one time I got married…”. I used to use that expression all the time. I need to bring it back; sarcasm makes my life.

I seriously need to get into groupon. The deals sounds so good! Or at least get my parents in on it, since they are making money right now!

quandariesoftheaverage April 28, 2011 at 6:04 pm

That mediterranean salad looks so delishish right now. You’re always killing it with your recipes!

Tiffany @ Simply Shaka April 28, 2011 at 6:35 pm

I love the random post :)

But not as much as I love Groupon and Living Social. I kinda want to have a threesome with them. I buy all the time not only for my city but places I will be visiting in the near future!

kissmybroccoli April 29, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Oh my gosh! If I had a nickel for every grimace, weird look, or awkward, “What is THAT?!” while I was eating lunch at work, I’d be a freakin bazillionaire! At first I’d try to describe what it was, what was in it, etc, but when I got more into bloggy type foods, I decided not to waste my time trying to explain what nutritional yeast and tempeh were. A couple of weeks ago, it really got to me and I about went off on one person for saying that the broccoli I had just heated up stunk. THAT’S when I knew it was time to take off work for a couple of days! Haha!

Now, I’m trying to just smile and ignore it, but I really do wish people would just leave me alone and let me eat in peace!

jackie April 29, 2011 at 2:15 pm

yep obessed with group coupon deals. i have gotten movie tickets, membership to the dino park, and other things for my kids. i recently got laser hair removal for 96% off! i cannot wait! and today i bought a bunch of half off great harvest coupons. i love great harvest.