an update from momma b.

by Janetha on April 18, 2011

in meals

hey guys! tonight i am:

• hanging out with the mister
  • spending too much money at target
  • cuddling with the dogs
  • drinking a vanilla bean peach protein shake for dessert
  • not blogging

taking over for me is my mom. as you know, she recently suffered from a mini stroke (a TIA) and has been getting many tests and scans and whatnot. several of you have asked how she is (thank you SO much for your continued emails and comments and concerns!) so i thought the best way to answer and address the situation would be to turn the time over to momma b. here she is!

***********************************

I am always honored to be able to take up some space here on the meals & moves blog!  I’ve been asked to give an update as to how I am doing…. may I thank you all again for your incredible care, concern, prayers and love – WOW I’m still overwhelmed with the good energy that comes from all of you!

Janetha let you all know what was up with her post “this is what happened”.  I have discovered that I inherited the “rambling” gene from my mom and I passed it on to Janetha  – so grab a snack and get comfortable…..

I had quite a few tests, cat scan, MRI, sleep deprived EEG, bubble test, and then a scope sent down my throat to see how big the hole in my heart really is (PFO) and wearing a heart monitor 24/7.  Without my 3 daughters I couldn’t have managed all of these tests, they were awesome in their care for me.

On April 5 Papa Randall (aka Janetha’s dad, Randy (no, not the basset hound.. yes they have the same name)) and I went back to see the stroke doctor and get all the results from the above mentioned tests.  I was told that there were no lesions on my brain (great news), the hole in my heart is very small (also great news) and that it is their recommendation that I stay on Plavix, stop taking Imitrex and continue life as normal.  No surgery to close the PFO.  After a couple of hours discussing everything we left feeling pretty good about this treatment.

After sending the news out to my kids and friends it was pretty unanimous that I should still see a heart specialist – so now I will see him on May 4.  If his findings are the same then I will continue life as normal – and you may be getting another report :)

I have had a month to reflect on what happened and to ponder just what “life as normal” really is.  I have always been so eager and willing to serve others, I love to help and still do.  My profession as a real estate agent is totally about service, I love to help my kids, I care take my mother in law, I love it when someone calls me to find a good plumber, electrician or stroke doctor ;)

What I have noticed since this episode is that I have an even greater appreciation for my life and those around me and I am also realizing more and more that it is important to take care of myself —  I don’t mean in a selfish way but in a way that I can fill my own bucket and thereby continue to help others. There is a great book I read years ago and need to reread– it talks about “filling your own bucket” get it and we can read it together: Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh

So it seems I have been trying different things that will help focus on making me an even healthier person -  Janetha has introduced me to Bikram Yoga and I LOVE it.  90 minutes in a hot 105 degree room doing difficult moves, stretching, totally silent, pushing myself and letting out the stress feels SO good!  I find I have to make an appointment with “myself” so that I don’t schedule other things during that time slot.  I also went and got a pedicure last week – very spontaneous and it was wonderful! I continue to enjoy spending time in the LDS Temple near my home.  All of these things require a certain degree of “being quiet” and I find it is a good time to reflect, count my blessings and to be so grateful for a healthy life.   I also give thanks for all of you – your care, concern and love for our whole family is just unbelievable – yes I should adopt every single one of you!!

Sending love and thanks again!

xoxo

momma b.

***********************************

THANKS MOM. love you. you are so right.. we all need a little quiet time to appreciate our own lives.

and with that, i will be back tomorrow.

Q from janetha~
how often do you make time for yourself? what is your favorite thing to do during your “me” time?

chrysta April 19, 2011 at 1:37 pm

So wonderful to hear the good news!!

Tamizn April 19, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Yay to Bikram!!!!! That is my time 4x a week : )

Tamizn April 19, 2011 at 1:44 pm

P.S Loving momma b’s post x x

Stephanie@MyThornsHaveRoses April 19, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Momma B…you are amazing. :) You must have passed that gene on to your daughter. Thanks for the update. Your positivity is awesome.

simplyshaka April 19, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Hooray for momma B—glad to hear things are doing well and finding your chi with yoga :)

I love the “no, not the basset hound” line about janetha’s dad, that made me smile.

As for me time–whats me time?? I feel like I have none as of late but I like to zone out on the couch and play with my dog with some music playing or curl up with a good book, both make me feel rested and relaxed.

Susan April 19, 2011 at 4:15 pm

So happy for this! Just as I was wondering how you were doing, you provide a timely update :) I reallyreally hope things go well in a few weeks. And it is TOTALLY is about taking “me” time. Something I learned recently as well. We get so much satisfaction from serving others, that we forget how helpful it can be to serve ourselves.

Also, I assume “Randy Dad” is the reason why JG always refers to the basset as “Randy Dog?”

Christin@purplebirdblog April 19, 2011 at 5:03 pm

So happy to hear that the results are all in favor of the lovely Momma B!!! :)

I took a 2 hour nap today that was glor.i.ous.

julie April 19, 2011 at 5:24 pm

yayyy mamma b!!!! :) much love and hugs your way!

coffeeandthepaper April 19, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Yay! You’ve been in my thoughts Momma B!

I’m trying to make more of an effort to take care of myself and take me time lately. I often feel guilty for it, but I really shouldn’t. Reading your words brought tears to my eyes because we only have this one life. We need to enjoy every second of it for ourselves and not solely to make other people happy. Thank you for this.

Katie April 19, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Yay Momma B! You’re attitude is uplifting, and I continue to keep you in my prayers!

Carla in Sydney April 19, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Fantastic to hear you are doing well Momma B! Take care of yourself. You have such a lovely family…..I am very envious of the love and care you all show to each other. Sending my love all the way from Australia. xx

Christine April 19, 2011 at 6:53 pm

I agree completely with your mom! Yoga and exercise in general helps me so much! Sunshine is important as well :)

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life April 19, 2011 at 7:38 pm

That’s wonderful news to hear! Still sending well wishes your way :)

Andrea@WellnessNotes April 20, 2011 at 5:42 am

I’m sooooo glad that things are going well, Momma B!!! Best wishes for your appointment on May 4!!! You’ll continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

And you are so right about making time for “me time.” It’s so important. As I’m getting older, I am realizing more and more how important it is to take care of myself, to sometimes say “no,” and to not feel guilty when I take some me time.

Shannon April 20, 2011 at 8:06 am

so glad to hear things are going well momma b!! sending good thoughts your way :)

Pure2raw twins April 20, 2011 at 3:45 pm

So glad that Momma B is doing better! I appreciate the update! Still praying for you and your family!! Actually I am not very good about me time; I am a person who is always wanting to make sure everyone else around me is fine before me. Though I have been trying to incorporate more me time ;) by giving myself a few minutes each morning to my own thoughts!

kissmybroccoli April 20, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Oh Momma B, I just want to give you the biggest hug right now! I’m SO glad to hear that all is well with you and that you are getting this much needed time to relax and breathe in life! I couldn’t agree more that sometimes, that is exactly what you need! In fact, I just took off work for the past 3 days just to give myself time to refocus before getting carried away by the flow of wake up, work, workout, dinner, bed, repeat! I love spontaneous little trips to get a pedicure or a massage, and I, being the total food dork that I am, actually love “unwinding” will perusing the aisles at my favorite grocery markets!

Again, so glad to hear a positive report, Momma B! Take care and God bless!

Barbara April 22, 2011 at 8:23 pm

WONDERFUL NEWS! CONGRATULATIONS MOMMA B! You are an amazingly beautiful woman, and Janetha takes after you! So glad you are getting better!!!
XOXOXO