friday’s meals & moves.

by Janetha on April 15, 2011

in meals,moves

hey guys! (not so) happy tax day! i don’t want to talk about it. (ughh.)

thanks for those of you who have shared your story on my flashback friday party post. it has been so fun to read everyone’s replies.

can i get a hooray for the weekend? now that i wake up early to work out in the mornings, i look forward to the weekends even more because i get to sleep in.  sure, i may be changing into a morning worker outer, but that doesn’t mean i am not still a lazy girl at heart. i could sleep for days on end and then sleep a little bit more.

image_thumb2

this morning i woke up and did my insanity workout. i was thisclose to pushing it off to tomorrow—tomorrow is my rest day—but i decided to bite the bullet and get up and get it done. i am SO happy that i did, because now it is done with and i get to take tomorrow off! it is totally a mental thing with me. my body IS capable of waking up and working out, i just have to tell myself to just do it. nike was onto something with that slogan.

this morning’s workout was pure cardio and cardio abs. pure cardio is my favorite workout of the insanity DVDs (so far) and this was a first time for cardio abs. i loved it! and my abs are already sore. i haven’t been talking much about the insanity challenge, but i am loving it! tomorrow marks two weeks complete. i am feeling more fit and toned and my jeans are already fitting better. i don’t weigh myself but i am sure seeing and feeling the changes.

image_thumb11

i was craving cereal for breakfast (when am i not craving cereal?!) and so i went with it.. adding an egg white pillow for protein.

about 3/4 cup kashi golean + 3/4 cup kamut puffs with skim milk and a toucan spoon. i suppose i really should have been eating fruit loops with this guy…

4 egg whites made the usual way: whisked and microwaved for 3 minutes on 70% power.. then topped with ketchup.

this whole breakfast clocks in at 250 calories, 29g protein, 37g carbs and 1g fat. oh, and 9 grams of fiber!

for those of you who have asked.. i don’t count my calories daily. i use the eyeball method and feel comfortable with this because i have done it for almost 3 years now. i think that counting calories is a pain in the butt and who wants to make meal time a pain? not me. if i had serious weight to lose, i would probably count calories.. but i don’t, so i don’t. i am mindful of them and i do include the counts here and there because a lot of you have said you appreciate it.

moving on! lunch was a random mashup of ingredients but definitely didn’t let me down..

this was 1/2 cup black beans + 3/4 cup cottage cheese + 2 TB avocado + 2 TB trader joe’s corn salsa.

all mixed up..

again.. the nutritional info because i love you: 315 calories, 28g protein, 37g carbs, 8g fat and 7g fiber. looks like i won’t be needing my fiber supplement today, aye?

kombucha because i love it.

i had to close up shop today because my regular closer had the day off. i actually forgot to bring a snack to work, so i went to the kitchen to see if there was anything to muster up. luckily i keep random stuff in my office kitchen!

1/3 cup greek yogurt + 1/4 cup rolled oats + 1 TB peanut butter + 1 TB vanilla protein powder + 1 tsp chia seeds.

sometimes the most mishmash, random ingredients can turn out great. this was 250 calories, 18g protein, 25g carb, 10g fat and 4g fiber.

after work, i ran around to the stores because we are having a BBQ slash ice cream party tonight!

i came home to a spotless house. and a clean shaven marshall. i have theeee best husband. really.

i have big plans for the food and here is the menu:

• homemade sun dried tomato hummus + falafel chips + veggies
  • tortilla chips + mango salsa
  • grilled mahi with roasted garlic peppercorn rub
  • alexia potato wedges + sweet potato fries
  • steamed broccoli
  • spinach, romaine, pear, almond, craisin + feta salad with poppyseed dressing
  • baker’s one bowl brownies
  • vanilla bean ice cream with fresh strawberries

should be good!

we also have three dog friends coming over (in addition to our human friends) so penny and randy are STOKED.

i am off to get everything ready before everyone arrives. hope you all have a great night and a fabulous weekend!!!

1. what’s your favorite thing to grill?

2. what time do you sleep in until on your days off? (if you have a job, that is.)

Jess April 15, 2011 at 6:40 pm

I loved grilled asparagus! I prefer sleeping into about 11. I’m a college student :)

megan @ the oatmeal diaries April 15, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Your lunch looks excellent! I love the black bean + guac combo :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 15, 2011 at 6:43 pm

You are a posting machine!

I sleep about 5 hrs a night, doesnt matter when I wake up or go to bed, I aim for 5. More is ideal, but not a reality. When I’m 75 I will look back and be glad I was a busy mom, worked, ran around like a nut..and wore myself out. I can sleep then :)

grilling. THat’s not my forte. But i love grilled veggies!

Lauren April 15, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Can I please come to your BBQ???? :)

Amanda (The Nutritionist Reviews) April 15, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Sounds like a fun party! Can’t wait to see the pictures : )

Stephanie@MyThornsHaveRoses April 15, 2011 at 6:51 pm

How have I never heard of that Komucha. I thought I tried them all! It sounds so refreshing right now!

I love grilling any and all veggies. Summertime is so great for that. My garden + my makes for a happy lady. <3

emily April 15, 2011 at 7:00 pm

1. I’ve actually never grilled anything myself, and I didn’t grow up eating grilled food that often. But, I have big plans for making grilled bananas someday!

2. The latest I’m up is 10 and the earliest I’m is 7, as a general rule for the entire week.

Ohmygoodness, that menu?!? I want to come to the party!

Brittany April 15, 2011 at 7:05 pm

It’s been a while since I’ve had it, but I love grilled peanut butter and banana sandwiches!, as for savory, I’m a steak girl:)

During the week, I am up at 3 A.M to eat, let food go down, and at the gym for 4. As for the weekend…I’ll be there for 8:)

lifttorun April 15, 2011 at 7:07 pm

On days I don’t have school, I barely sleep in. I usually wake up at six on school days then seven on non school days. I’m such a morning person. (:

Holly @ The Runny Egg April 15, 2011 at 7:11 pm

BBQ/ice cream party? I so wish I was coming over!

Good for you for getting up and doing your workout!!! I totally would have wanted to do the same thing – push it off until tomorrow.

mering4 April 15, 2011 at 7:12 pm

You mentioning fruit loops made me think of this: I just saw a commercial for frosted flakes that said, “What do young athletes turn to for fuel? Frosted Flakes!” I laughed out loud and said YEA RIGHT! But they are pretty bomb ;)

1. Definitely portobella mushrooms!! wait…I don’t grill them, I just eat them grilled:)

2. I usually get up when the man-friend goes to work (since I’m a stay-at-home gf), which is about 7-7:30, but today I accidentally overslept until 9!

applesnoats April 15, 2011 at 7:13 pm

i love eating grilled veggies….just not too fond of making them haha!you seem to get so much protein…i need to take lessons from you cuz im seriously slacking

Laura (starloz) April 15, 2011 at 7:14 pm

oh boy, i want to come. that all sounds great.

lindsay April 15, 2011 at 7:23 pm

i am passionate about passionberry, enough said!
;)

sleeping in? I don’t know what that is. hehe.

Abby April 15, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Mmm…I love the Passionberry Bliss! It is my favorite of the kinds I have tried so far! :)

My favorite thing to grill is veggie kebabs!

Today was supposed to be my day off at I was still awake at 5:40 AM :-|. I suck at sleeping in now! lol

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy April 15, 2011 at 7:33 pm

A bbq/ice cream party sounds like a blast! Hope you guys have a great night! :)

Allison @ Food For Healing April 15, 2011 at 7:44 pm

i love grilled veggie and shrimp kabobs, the mushrooms are the best tasting ever.
we usually sleep in until 10 or 11 am some days on the weekend, but thats because we stay up too late. otherwise i’m up at 7am during the week and that is really pushing it, i should be up at 630am haha

Mama Pea April 15, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Two posts in one day? How’d I get so lucky?

Don’t talk to me about tax day. Our CPA might have well have asked for a kidney, because I think we paid the same amount as a kidney might cost.

I really liked your earlier post. I haven’t had a drink since February 20th…partly because of Lent, partly because I just feel better without it. I’m proud of you for telling your story and sticking to your guns! (both figuratively and literally, although it’s my abs that really notice the difference…)

Happy weekend!!!

LauraJayne April 15, 2011 at 8:05 pm

I used to LOVE sleeping in. It was probably my favorite activity. Unfortunately, unless I’ve had a really late night, I literally cannot sleep in any more – I usually wake up around 6:30 or 7 on Saturday and Sunday. Crazy, right? Sometimes I want to sleep in more, but it’s just not in the cards for me!

Candice April 15, 2011 at 8:16 pm

your egg white pillows look so perfect.. you should see mine.. there mangled by the time I get them on the plate! ha! passionberry bliss is my fav!

Allison @ Runs A Latte April 15, 2011 at 8:37 pm

I can usually sleep until 8 or so on my days off. Getting up at 4:55 every morning totally messes with my ability to sleep in. Not cool. But on the other hand, it’s nice waking up early feeling rested and getting in a good workout with plenty of time to spare.

Congrats on 2 solid weeks of sticking to your goals! It’s amazing how fast you notice changes! Nothing better than knowing your clothes fit better! I’ve been there more times than I care to admit.

katshealthcorner April 15, 2011 at 8:48 pm

I love your Fruit Loops SPOON! :D

I sometimes sleep in till 9am. That’s probably my limit, unless I went to bed REALLY late the night before.

Kalyn April 15, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Your lunch= One of my faaaaaavorite meals in the world. I want to inhale that beautiful bowl of mashed up goodness (:

Nicole C April 15, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Lately i have been grilling mahi mahi for tacos. I love anything grilled though, i love the smell of anything on a grill mmmmm!

Week days i am up at 5:30 but weekends are another story.

Why do i have to live so far when you are cooking, blasted that sucks!

Katie April 15, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Love you! Thanks for the birthday wishes!! U are the BEST!!!!! Happy weekend!! xoxo

glidingcalm April 15, 2011 at 9:16 pm

bbqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

i would loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee to be there.
sounds like a blasty!

LOVE YOU SO, and your pillowy egg puffs.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) April 15, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Your spoon is so cute! I love grilling steak and salmon.

Cathy April 16, 2011 at 2:52 am

hope you had a very fun time at your party! bet everyone LOVED your menu!
i don’t grill…but i like when The Brother does portobello mushrooms or any veggies, for that matter, on the bbq…
i get up at 5 a.m., rain or shine, all days of the week. i LOVE early mornings to myself!
have a fantastic weekend, j, and hope you get to SLEEP IN today!

MelissaNibbles April 16, 2011 at 4:23 am

I love anything grilled. I’m glad you’re loving Insanity! Did you know there’s a follow up workout called Insanity Asylum that just came out? It’s probably torture. You’d like it.

Jenny April 16, 2011 at 6:18 am

dude, beans are so ballin. fiber/protein/carbs — i need to eat more.

thedelicateplace April 16, 2011 at 6:44 am

fave thing to grill is usually some kind of red meat kebab style! but it must be medium rare or i won’t touch it, something about gray, dried out well done meat gives me the creeps! well today i woke up at 430am (hello crazy hormones and pms) but fell back asleep until 745ish so i laid in bed until 8 and got up then. it’s difficult to sleep in too long on the weekend when i get up 630-7am during the week. i like to keep a pretty reg schedule (yep im an old person at 28 lol)

Nicole M. G. April 16, 2011 at 6:45 am

Your menu sounds awesome. Janetha, I am trying to use you as inspiration since I am having dental/orthodontic work done right now and can’t really chew. You always have the best looking mash-up meals and make them sound delicious. I mash stuff up and it never seems as appetizing, so I am using your pics to inspire me. I can sustain myself on soft foods…I can..I can. :)

1. Chicken (love when it’s really seasoned) and fish-yum!!
2. I have two kiddos under 5 so sleeping in hasn’t been seen in this house since, oh, 2005! Sleeping in for me is 7 or 7:30 am. Sad, huh? ;)

a taste of health with balance April 16, 2011 at 8:10 am

grill it all !!okay, maybe not chocolate.. :) but i love the grill for taste & flavor, and no clean up haha. yay for kombucha!

TheHungeredOne April 16, 2011 at 8:32 am

Sleep in? What’s that? haha. Um, usually 7 at the latest. I just get used to getting up so early that it sticks.

lowandbhold April 16, 2011 at 8:46 am

I slept in until 9 this morning and it. was. fabulous. It’s probably been two months since I’ve been able to and I feel no guilt at all!

Annette @EnjoyYourHealthyLife April 16, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I love egg white pillows!! :) Have fun grilling–I love grilling red peppers and pineapple. YUMM

Tamizn April 16, 2011 at 1:31 pm

I love grilled veggies, my body clock is a bitch! I have to get up at 5/6 on my work days and on a day off my body wakes up at the same time, not good! x x

Paige is Running Around Normal April 16, 2011 at 3:48 pm

It’s usually not too late – about 7:30 :)
Hope the bbq went well!