you tell me.

by Janetha on April 10, 2011

in meals

four hours, four stores, $200 and one large americano later.. i am home.

i am FULLY stocked up on groceries, caffeine and flowers for the kitchen table.

here are a few scenes from sunflower market.. sometimes i just can’t help myself.

sunflower market’s new line of cereals are designed IDENTICAL to kashi’s.

for comparison purposes, here is what the kashi golean box looks like (i had one in my kitchen):

pretty similar, right? they have almost identical nutrition stats and ingredients, as well. and a box of this stuff is $2.99 compared to the $4.59 kashi golean counterpart.

you tell me: should generic / grocery store brands be able to totally rip off name brand product designs?

i found myself in the peanut butter aisle even though i definitely do NOT need any peanut butter.  strange how i am just drawn to it.  but it was a good thing i wandered that way, because LOOK what i found!!

mighty maple peanut butter for $2.97?! it was a sign from god. mighty maple is my favorite kind of peanut butter ever. EVER, people. i stocked up!

you tell me: if your favorite (non perishable) food product was on sale for 35% off, and you weren’t currently OUT of said product, how many would you stock up on?

i had chobani on my list.. what else is new? marshall eats 2 or 3 (sometimes 4) chobanis each day. when i got to the chobani section, this is what i saw:

WHAT? where is the chobani?! check out the sign:

blast. people love it way too much! i wasn’t about to buy a different kind of greek yogurt. nothing is quite like chobani when it comes to flavored greek yogurt. (when it comes to plain, i can tolerate oikos and i do like fage—but flavored has to be chobani.)  lucky for me, i already had picked up a 12 pack from costco and was just planning to get other flavors at sunflower. chobani crisis averted, not to worry.

you tell me: if something you are brand-loyal to is out of stock, do you buy a different brand or go to a different store to find YOUR brand?

i finally found this bar:

i stopped eating luna bars awhile back (i used to eat them almost daily) because i prefer the simply bar (based on protein statistics and ingredients). but i have seen this chocolate coconut luna bar around blog land and really wanted to try it, so i snagged it.

oh. my. gosh.

let me tell you guys, this bar tastes exactly like a samoa girl scout cookie. EXACTLY, people.

you know what else? their pepperment flavor tastes exactly like a girl scout thin mint. true story.

let’s take a look at the stats:

IMG_0970IMG_0969

not bad in terms of calories, carbs and fiber. i do wish it had a bit more protein.. but 9 grams is still pretty good. in a perfect world, the sugar grams would be lower and the protein grams higher.

the ingredient list, unfortunately, is as long as randy the basset hound. it is all the writing below the white box.

however, the bar IS all natural, mostly organic and there are no funky hydrogenated oils.. something the girl scouts can’t say about their cookies.

IMG_0973IMG_0971

the label boasts “nutrition” and there are several vitamins and nutrients in the bar (see the label image above).

and, like i said, the taste is out of this WORLD.

i know that eating one of these is wayyy better for me than eating a stack of girl scout cookies. however, i am still on the fence about whether or not this should be considered a good go-to snack due to some of the label downfalls.

so..

you tell me: luna bars. are they a good, healthy snack or just a glorified candy bar/cookie?

either way, you can bet i will be buying another chocolate dipped coconut luna bar. yes, they are that amazing.

time to make taco salad and then head to the movies! we are seeing “your highness”—can’t wait!

MelissaNibbles April 11, 2011 at 6:39 am

Chobani is out near me too. It has been for two weeks now!

Heather @ kissmybroccoli April 11, 2011 at 6:49 am

I just died a little inside…Mighty Maple, why dost thou elude me so?? Wah!!!

Green Dog Wine April 11, 2011 at 7:07 am

OMG I just bought those this weekend as well because I *THOUGHT* they just had to taste like a samoa! :) When I saw Brittany (EBF) post I was like – they HAVE to go on my grocery list! :) I ate one last night after my long run and just about went to heaven! :)

McKenzie April 11, 2011 at 7:51 am

I’m glad you posted that about Chobani. I couldn’t find any at Hy-Vee yesterday and on Saturday, Target had a very, very limited selection. It is super nice that your store filled you in on what is going on because I was super confused! :)

erin April 11, 2011 at 8:32 am

i am also on the fence about the Luna bars..but they are SO yummy!! Love the peppermint one!!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine April 11, 2011 at 8:45 am

Love this!! I think Lunas are a healthy replacement for other desserts. There are definitely better snack options out there, but hey, it’s better that people at a Luna than a pack of Little Debbies!!

Holly April 11, 2011 at 8:52 am

ahhhhhh JUST caught up on all your lovely posts! you still have the cutest nieces + nephews in the world (OBSESSED with chubby baby boy!). you and momma b are still the cutest. you are still coming up with lovely recipes (lemon chia seed muffins? yes please!). your planning and organizing skills are enviable. will you please come organize my life for me?!

ohhhh and i am going to play around with your header tonight. LOVE YOUUUUUU!

Michelle April 11, 2011 at 9:06 am

I would definitely stock up on my favorite PB. Especially at that price. I can never find it that cheap in the city! And that Luna bar sounds like it was made for me. I love chocolate and coconut.

Have a great Monday!

Stacey April 11, 2011 at 9:10 am

I have the same problem with Chobani at Publix( grocery store) in Florida. Whenever I go to Publix, they are either out or almost out of all the Chobani. They had a similar sign hanging up in their section saying that Chobani is having a hard time keeping it. It took me over 2 months to actually try the new Mango flavor because they were always out! But NOTHING compares to my beloved Chobani! <3

Stephanie April 11, 2011 at 9:17 am

Those chocolate dipped coconut Luna Bars are out of this world! Sooooo tasty!

I just started my own blog and I hope you don’t mind but I put you on my blogroll :)

ilovefetacheese April 11, 2011 at 9:27 am

haha i loved this post!! So interactive :) That luna bar looks awesome, but yea definitely like dessert IMO. And what the heck Chobani?? THAT’S why they’re sold out here too! Greek yogurt has seriously taken off in the last year!

Kayla April 11, 2011 at 9:31 am

Mighty Maple!! Ahhh, I need to try that, it’s not in my grocery store, urgggg.

Like Clif bars (brown rice syrup is the first ingredient!), Luna bars are basically pure sugar so I eat them as treats, not as meal replacements or healthy snacks.

Heather April 11, 2011 at 9:38 am

I agree that Luna bars are still a treat, rather than a healthy snack. I go for Clif bars as my treat (rather than Luna). I keep them around for travelling or when I am running out the door and need something fast!

reesimplelife April 11, 2011 at 9:57 am

I have to say I’m not a luna bar fan although I like it better than other protein bars…..they have a lot of sugar though. I prefer a piece of turkey, or a can of tuna, or a chicken breast or a couple scoops of peanut butter oh wait that has just as much sugar DARN!

biz319 April 11, 2011 at 11:25 am

Loved your polls in this post Janetha!! My store just had Chobani for .75 cents each – the lowest I’ve ever seen it! :D

Hope you had fun at the movies :D

Christina April 11, 2011 at 11:32 am

Isn’t Chobani kind of high in sugar?

janetha April 11, 2011 at 11:37 am

Yeah the flavored kinds are higher in sugar. Most of that sugar comes from the fruit so it is natural occurring sugar, but there is some added sugar in there. I only eat plain chobani but my husband eats 3 or 4 of the flavored ones daily! I eat them when I want a treat–but I treat it just as that: a treat. I think eating a container of peach chobani is a lot better than eating a container of peach ben & jerry’s, if you get my drift :)

Annette @EnjoyYourHealthyLife April 11, 2011 at 11:46 am

WHat a fun idea- LOve the polls :)

Stephanie@MyThornsHaveRoses April 11, 2011 at 12:08 pm

OK…I love these polls. I can’t promise it’ll never make an appearance on my blog but I can promise I’ll share the love. This was too much fun!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) April 11, 2011 at 12:40 pm

that was such a fun post!! i love the interactiveness of it (yes I made up that word!)

omg that luna bar looks out of this world indeed! i must try that…in 2.5 weeks!!!!

WOWZA chobani really must need ot keep cranking out greek yogurt…we are demanding people I guess!

xoxo

McIntosh April 11, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Fun post…love the interactive factor! Makes me think that my opinion really matters :) Take that brand name impersonators! No, really I think it’s a great idea to add the polls.

So that Luna bar looks good and I don’t even like coconut.

Are you sure it wasn’t you who cleaned out the Chobani’s? I seem to remember a post about snagging 43 or so containers!

Jen@jensdaily April 11, 2011 at 1:04 pm

I love the polls in this post, you rock!
OMG they were out of Chobani?! Craziness!!!!
Oh and I just tried that Luna Bar yesterday, it’s my new favorite. I didn’t want it to be gone!!

Paige is Running Around Normal April 11, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Thanks for the Luna Bar rec – I love the White Macademia Nut flavor – I just hate how much sugar is in it. I will def try this one out!

Ellie April 11, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Niiice post Janetha! have you tried the lemon luna bar?? I reallly love that one! I don’t think it’s the best bar out there, but I eat it once in a while when emergency hunger hits :P

movesnmunchies April 11, 2011 at 2:23 pm

AAH i LOVEd these polls!! great idea!

Gillian April 11, 2011 at 2:26 pm

This grocery store looks amazing!! We don’t have anything this cool in Canada!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather April 11, 2011 at 2:34 pm

4 stores and just $200?! Now that’s impressive girl. I’d stock up on my favorite nut butter any day if it was a great day. I’d be saving money in the long run.

Lena April 11, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I had a very similar experience this weekend. My grocery store was also out of Chobani except Raspberry, which I am not fond of. I hope they are able to restock soon. I also snagged a Chocolate Dipped Coconut Luna Bar at Target. I only bought one so hopefully they continue to carry this flavor.

Great Post…I enjoyed the polls!

Lori April 11, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Damn – I quit eating protein bars, but I am on such a huge coconut kick lately it isn’t funny. I need to find that Luna Bar.

Eloise April 11, 2011 at 6:08 pm

I also stopped eating luna bars a while back and most protein bars actually, but I couldn’t help myself and bought that chocolate coconut luna bar last week and OMG is it good! I bought 4 more. I could be eating worse things I guess.

Haley April 11, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Yum! I still am dying to try that Mighty Maple pb! Why don’t they sell that down here?? :(
And now I need to go to the store to find that Luna bar! haha
You found some great deals! I would totally stock up on stuff even if I didn’t need it if it was cheap :) I do it too often, actually. haha

lifttorun April 11, 2011 at 7:44 pm

I love Luna bars. I eat one every day.
So jealous. I have been looking for the Mighty Maple peanut butter forever. No stores sell it around me.

Tell me how you like Your Highness. I saw it Saturday. I liked it for the most part just because I adore the actors.

BroccoliHut April 11, 2011 at 8:49 pm

What?! House bran GoLean?! I need to find some ASAP! I eat GoLean as a snack almost every day.
I used to eat a LUNA bar every night as a freshman in college–it was my preferred late night snack (it didn’t hurt that I could buy them at the campus store with my food points).
However, I think they’re like most bars–sugary and too much soy–so I limit them to the occasional treat!

katshealthcorner April 11, 2011 at 8:58 pm

This post was so much fun!!!!

carlee April 11, 2011 at 9:07 pm

I’m so jealous! I wish chocolate did not give me headaches oh so badly! Because that Luna bar looks too good to be true!

Pure2raw twins April 12, 2011 at 4:46 am

Somethings (food items) I buy the brand names, as other not so important things I buy generic! Loved this post, so fun!

Elina (Healthy and Sane) April 12, 2011 at 6:50 am

This was such a cute post. I’m with majority on all the points :)
Hope everything is good again. Have you received the popchips yet?

Emily April 12, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Hey lady, I’d love to offer your loyal readers who commented they experienced a shortage at the store a “rain check.” Can you do a shout out and let them know if they’re on Twitter, to DM us and we’ll happily send them a coupon? I didn’t want to take up your whole comment section replying. :)

-E