meal plans.

by Janetha on April 10, 2011

in meals

i’ve got a list, a protein shake and four hours.

i am going to hit sunflower market, whole foods, cali’s market and costco.

here are my meal plans for the week:

sunday:

• dinner: ground beef tacos (for him)  / taco salad (for me)

monday:

• breakfast: sales meeting meal @ the original pancake house
  • lunch: leftover taco salad
  • snack: banana protein muffin (recipe coming soon)
  • dinner: salmon with capers, pasta and broccoli
  • dessert: vitatop + greek yogurt

tuesday:

• breakfast: protein oatmeal
  • lunch: leftover salmon with capers, pasta and broccoli
  • snack: lemon coconut simply bar
  • dinner: calzones + salad
  • dessert: banana protein muffin

wednesday:

• breakfast: egg + black bean burrito
  • lunch: calzone + salad
  • snack: crackers + cottage cheese
  • dinner: tofu scrambles
  • dessert: banana protein muffin

thursday:

• breakfast: protein shake
  • lunch: tuna fish sandwich + veggies with hummus
  • snack: raspberry cocoa simply bar
  • dinner: to be determined (eating out)
  • dessert: chobani

friday:

• breakfast: scrambled egg whites + bagel thin with banana and PB
  • lunch: big salad with cottage cheese
  • snack: greek yogurt + granola
  • dinner: mushroom stroganoff
  • dessert: protein ice cream

saturday:

• breakfast: toasted bagel thin + PB
  • lunch: protein shake
  • dinner: free meal out!
  • dessert: fro yo

this is a tentative plan and more than likely will not be followed to the letter. but this is what i do once a week.. plan a bunch of meals and then go to the grocery stores so i have the ingredients for all of the above things.  THEN, if i am not feeling one thing at the designated time, i switch up the plans. for example, sometimes i want a sweet snack and sometimes i want a savory snack. as long as i am prepared with a healthy snack in my kitchen, i won’t fall off the clean eating wagon. plus, this way i don’t have to make trip after trip (after TRIP) to the store.

well, i have places to go and food to buy! have a great day.

1. what is on your menu this week? links welcome!

2. how many times do you go to the grocery store in a week?

Katie April 10, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I just did this exact thing about two hours ago! I’m going to be making your new lemon muffins & garbanzo bean bake for sure this week!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 10, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I go about 2x a week. But sometimes I literally have to pop in for 1 cucumber or 1 head of lettuce b/c I just cannot make it last. I live across the street from TJs and reg groc store, so not really a big deal. But going in there costs money every time b/c it’s never “just one thing”. :)

edenseats April 10, 2011 at 12:26 pm

I go food shopping WAY too much. But I get different things from different places. I hate to say it, but I probably go to some sort of food market 8 or 9 times a week. I guess I also like my produce to be fresh and I don’t really hoard for the week. I admire your food planning! I wish I could be as organized. But my life seems to be thrown curveballs on a daily basis so its hard to stick to a plan. And Im sure you have a bomb protein ice cream recipe down, but I highly suggest you give this one a whirl. http://edenseats.wordpress.com/2010/09/22/coconut-milk-ice-cream-and-incentive/

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) April 10, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I tend to only plan dinner and then get salad ingredients & sandwich ingredients for lunches… that with leftovers seems to work for me. Same goes for breakfasts… I’ll make sure I have stuff for smooties/ shakes, breakfast sandwiches & oats… but, I always plan the dinners for each night. This week:
monday: leftover chicken soup from this weekend

tuesday: http://whatscookinwithmary.blogspot.com/2010/10/tofu-n-greens-quinoa-bowl.html

wednesday: out for SUSHI :-D

thursday: taco’s/ taco salad w. –> http://whatscookinwithmary.blogspot.com/2010/05/marys-mexican-pulled-chicken.html

friday: leftover taco salad’s ‘n taco’s

sat: out somewhere w. friends ! TBD

I go to the store once bc I can’t stand having to go back multiple times. If I forgot something or change up the menu and turns out I’m missing something, I’ll just play it by ear and make substitutions bc I’d rather use things I have than go back to the store ;)

Holly @ The Runny Egg April 10, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Love the meal plans — I do something similar and I’ve been eating the same things for months now so grocery shopping is pretty easy now (thankfully!!!).

I usually go on a big trip on Sundays and then on Wed or Thurs I go back for more produce.

Ashley @ 365 things April 10, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Sounds like a dreamy day if you ask me! All those grocery stores……yay!

Unfortunately I had to stop buying ALL groceries and eat everything in my fridge/freezer/pantry before we move. It’ll be a rough week! haha

Morgan @ Life After Bagels April 10, 2011 at 12:36 pm

ahhhh I want your banana protein muffin recipe so bad!

I only made my meal plan until Wednesday for this week because we get our CSA delivery on Thursday and am not sure what’s coming yet.

Tomorrow I’m trying a new recipe: chickpea tangine with carrots, cinnamon, and cumin

Sweet Cheeks April 10, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I’m totally impressed by your meal plan! I like to plan out things maybe 1 day ahead, but the WHOLE week? Now that’s impressive! Good luck with the shopping!

thedelicateplace April 10, 2011 at 1:03 pm

i just tried a tropical traditions recipe today for coconut flour chai cookies and zomg. so good! also, made up a recipe today that i’ll post soon but let’s just say it’s savory, vegan and includes almond butter + sweet potato!

MelissaNibbles April 10, 2011 at 1:21 pm

I need to do that. It would help me have more variety in my meals.

julie April 10, 2011 at 1:32 pm

a taco salad is tres necessary for my meal this week because of you and as long as those damn cados soften up already!!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) April 10, 2011 at 1:39 pm

I want to go shopping with you! LOL your menu sounds fantastic. No idea what’s on my menu this week, I should get started on that.

Salah April 10, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I’m definitely going to be having a gf pizza at some point this week….I’m having major cravings!!!

Amanda (The Nutritionist Reviews) April 10, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Looks like a great menu! Can’t wait to see your banana protein muffin recipe!

Christin@purplebirdblog April 10, 2011 at 2:11 pm

I am sooooo stinkin behind on blogs, so I just skipped to your most recent post. I might have to give in and finally clear my reader… I’m over a week behind and it’s only going to get worse! :)

I go to Costco once a week lately to stock on up produce, and I usually hit Sprouts once every week or two. I like Target for groceries too because it’s never very crowded!

megan @ the oatmeal diaries April 10, 2011 at 2:14 pm

All of this looks great. I love the organization! And can’t wait to see the banana protein muffin recipe :)

Heather @ Side of Sneakers April 10, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Sounds like you’ve got some great meals lined up!! I’m horrible at meal planning- I’m so fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants when it comes to meals- I just have to eat what I feel like. (Which usually involves extra trips to the grocery store or some interesting improvising ;))

Paige is Running Around Normal April 10, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Wow! How comprehensive!! My meal plans are much more here and there :-P

Allison @ Food For Healing April 10, 2011 at 2:21 pm

i have still got to brainstorm this weeks foods. I usually go to the grocery store like 3-4 times a week buying what i need for that days meal. only because the grocery store is like a block away.

Kelly @ Kelly Be Well April 10, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I do my meal planning the exact same way you do – but I only ever blog dinners on my blog. Weird? Maybe I should start posting the whole thing. heh

Anxiously awaiting that muffin recipe! I have a TON of ripe bananas right now.

Here’s this week’s dinner plan:
Saturday: grilled chicken with bourbon sauce (tastefully simple marinade my neighbor gave me), grilled potatoes and zucchini

Sunday: out

Monday: steak, steamed broccoli, pasta

Tuesday: ham and cheese rösti

Wednesday: lemony tuna and pasta, salad

Thursday: potato-crusted mahi mahi, risotto, green beans

Friday: spaghetti and turkey meat sauce, garlic bread

Emily April 10, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Wow, you are awesomely organized. I don’t even know what I’m going to eat for dinner tonight.

1. I don’t know yet! I need to get On This.

2. Living literally across the street from a grocery store and within walking distance of two Whole Foods stores means I wander in for one or two items way too often. I need to be better about just making one or two trips a week, along with one farmers’ market visit a week.

Heather April 10, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I try to go to the store once as well. My meal planning is very similar to yours, clean and tasty!

I have been trying to get my iron levels up so this week includes quite a bit of red meat in the form of a giant slow cooker roast!

Carbzilla April 10, 2011 at 2:49 pm

We’re still trying to save big AND eat through our pantry so that’s what dictating our plans these days. I know I’m going to make polenta casserole soon because I already have the polenta and black beans. I could eat Danica’s Pizza Bubble Up every week but Chris, who never has a preference, needs a little more variety. We usually always make sure we have components for different meals and at least one composed meal (casserole, soup, etc.).

eef April 10, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I really need to do this… I tried to at least plan our dinners, but ended up being too lazy at least two of the nights to make what I had planned. I need to get organized though, because I think we waste more food when I don’t plan.

Kind of random, but do you mind me asking what your job is? I’m always exhausted when I come home from work (I have a desk job, but it’s mentally draining) so I don’t know how you work out and cook as much as you do!

Erica April 10, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Yum! Calzones and taco salads sound good to me! I plan out all my dinners, but breakfasts and lunches are more on the fly. I’m making turkey, jalapeno & cheddar burgers tonight, lemon, garlic shrimp tomorrow, turkey enchiladas Tuesday, easy soup and grille cheese Wednesday and a special recipe on Thursday ;). Hope the shopping went well! I do 1 major shopping trip and 1 or 2 minor a week

Anne Marie April 10, 2011 at 3:55 pm

We only hit the store once a week. We do our meal planning before we go and do our best to stick to the list!! Sometimes it works, sometimes there’s beer.

Katie April 10, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Oh my word, I’m so jealous of your organization! I plan out our weekly dinners – but you take it to a whole new level. Want to come make a list for me, too??

cbrady3 April 10, 2011 at 4:10 pm

I went to the grocery store three times yesterday. Extreme circumstances, but yes. thrice in one day.

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) April 10, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Good girl with your meal plan. I have never done one and don’t think I ever could. I just always have a ton of veggies/fruit/eggs/yogurt on hand and buy the protein that will last days. Plus if I ever eat out, there are leftovers. I probably go abt 2x/week.

I might try to perfect a zucchini protein muffin I made yesterday. Otherwise, nothing specific on the cards.

Love ya.

Teri [a foodie stays fit] April 10, 2011 at 4:43 pm

you are so good about getting protein in your diet! i need to be better!

I’m making Pasta Mama this week. Love it!

BroccoliHut April 10, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Sounds like a great week of meals! I go to the store once per week, which people tell me is not that often considering I am such a foodie!

cleaneatingchelsey April 10, 2011 at 5:34 pm

I go to the grocery store once a week – I make meal plans like that too! The breakfasts and lunches are a little bit mroe loose, but dinners are always planned.

Krystina (Organically Me) April 10, 2011 at 5:56 pm

I go to the store every day. I usually make a big trip to buy stuff for breakfast/lunch/snacks, but I roll with whatever I’m craving for the day for dinner, so I usually make a quickie trip to the store for dinner ingredients.

Sarah April 10, 2011 at 6:07 pm

i have the most random meal plan ever for this week. moving day is friday/saturday, so this week is “no shopping week” or alternatively “eat up pantry/freezer/fridge week”. it’s not interesting or delicious sounding at all, so i won’t bore you with it! :)

i loved reading your list though! it looks like a delightful week of meals!

bareitall April 10, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Thank you for posting this list! It is such a help to someone like me that would like to be organized, but just isn’t when it comes to meals. :)

Heather April 11, 2011 at 4:30 am

i used to never meal plan, and now i love it! we’re not doing anything special this week…but i am pretty stoked about some lasagna i made over the weekend!

Sherry April 11, 2011 at 6:51 am

Your awesome!! I am impressed with your meal planning. I plan out weekly meals for myself and my family, usually making seperate meals for me and one for the hubby and kidlets. I am probably not as detailed as you and usually it’s all in my head anyway. I always have an idea at least.

I go to the grocery store twice a week usually, one big shopping trip in the beginning and one small one to pick up misc produce later in the week.

What is protein ice cream? I would love to see a recipe!!! Sounds yummy…

Have a great week!!

Becs April 11, 2011 at 7:18 am

I’m so glad I’m not the only one who does this!!! I plan 2 weeks of meals in advance, and then change it around if I feel like it. I order my whole shop online though – I hate going to the supermarket after a long day at work!! I often use your recipes, plus Pioneer Woman, Fat Free Vegan and Everybody Likes Sandwiches :) plus, you can’t beat Jamie Oliver for a little inspiration! I LOVE his 30 minute pizza that you cook in a wok – AMAZING! x

Laughin' In The Rain April 11, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I keep it down to once a week now, but only with good planning. In fact, that’s why I’m on your blog now.. scoping out recipes and ideas! :)

carlee April 11, 2011 at 9:02 pm

I’ve been planning meals lately and it REALLY helps!

Pure2raw twins April 12, 2011 at 4:41 am

I used to be really good a meal planning! Lately I am lucky if I have food in the house to make an actual meal, haha

katshealthcorner April 12, 2011 at 7:08 am

I can’t wait for your Banana Protein Muffin Recipe! :D

emilyscurls April 13, 2011 at 3:27 pm

(I am answering these questions backwards)
2. I am not exaggerating when I say I go to the grocery store around FIVE times a week… I have not been good about planning meals and having snacks stocked. I’ll admit, this sometimes leads me to feeling fatigued when there’s nothing around (except maybe ice cream–but I won’t venture to that at 3 in the afternoon), and hunger strikes at that “awkward in between meal” hour! *sigh* I digress.

1. Click this link to check out what my husband and I are eating tonight–can’t wait to try them! http://www.dashingdish.com/2010/04/greek-style-feta-burgers/