hammy.

by Janetha on April 4, 2011

in meals,moves

hey friends! how was your monday?

guess WHAT? marshall and i woke up at 4:45 this morning and did insanity.  i didn’t think it was possible—but i felt so much better afterward.  wide awake! sure, i hit the wall around 10:30 AM.. but i got my second wind at lunch time.  which, by the way, came a bit earlier than usual because i was STARVING way earlier than usual. i guess morning workouts=increased hunger. makes sense.

here’s quick recap of sunday dinner, because it was too good not to blog about.

last night we went up to my parents’ place for dinner because my mom offered to cook an amazing meal for us. who am i to turn down a delicious dinner made lovingly by momma b?! by the way, momma b is doing great. she goes to the doc tomorrow to see what they will do about the hole in her heart. will keep you guys posted.

back to sunday dinner. on the menu..

ham.

asparagus.

salad.

rolls.

not one but TWO kinds of potatoes, because my mom aims to please.

scalloped potatoes (a la danica) for me, my mom & my dad.

funeral potatoes (it’s a mormon thing i think…) for marshall.

because every growing boy needs a 13×9 pan of potatoes, cheese and sour cream. right? of course right.

my plate.

IMG_0378IMG_0375

IMG_0376IMG_0377

thanks for the AMAZING dinner, mom.

we played a rousing game of rummikub after dinner.

we even got marshall to join us, that never happens!

we let my mom win both rounds ;)

time to talk about monday.

today, like i said, we woke up at 4:45 for insanity. it was nothing short of insane.  i won’t be talking about the insanity workouts or all my meals every day on my main posts, but i want to keep track of what i am eating and how i am feeling throughout the 60 days.. so i have created an online journal where that business will happen. i will be loosely documenting the challenge on this page if you are interested in following along.

i do have all today’s meals to show you, compete with calorie counts and macros! i know some of you are into that, so this one’s for you. yep, you. the only reason i tracked it was solely for readers who have requested i do this.. pure love, folks.

breakfast: 4 egg whites + mushrooms + onions + salsa & small mixed fruit.

IMG_0429IMG_0428IMG_0430

360 calories, 25g protein, 41g carbs, 12g fat (that is probably high but i put it in there in case they cook with oil)

plus, like, 5 cups of coffee. with skim.

lunch: big salad + 1/2 c cottage cheese + 3 oz albacore tuna + fat free italian dressing & a toasted whole wheat bagel thin.

IMG_0435IMG_0436

460 calories, 40g carbs, 45g protein, 9g fat

snack: simply bar – lemon coconut flavor.

140 calories, 17g protein, 14g carbs, 2g fat

these bars have AWESOME stats! and they are vegan, gluten free and delicious! this lemon coconut is my favorite flavor.

OH! speaking of the simply bar.. have you checked out their new website yet?! if you do, it will help me get closer to a $250 donation to no more homeless pets. and you can purchase these awesome bars. they are hands down the best protein bar out there. and no, nobody paid me to say that. it’s the truth.

after work, i headed to sandy to go to another bikram yoga class. i figure i better get the most out of my $20 membership for the month of april!

this class was HARD. harder than saturday’s. i think that it is because

a) i woke up at 4;45

b) i worked 9 hours

c) i am sore from insanity and from yoga saturday

and d) i am a baby

i pushed through it and felt great in the end.

lucky for me, i prepared dinner last night and had marshall pop it into the oven while i was on my way home. i am a thinker!

dinner: chicken cordon bleu casserole + broccoli.

405 calories, 42g protein, 39g carbs, 10g fat

YES, today is national chicken cordon bleu day and i totally went there—i made a national food of the day casserole. would you expect any less out of me?!

recipe coming in the morning (because i am too sleepy to type it up right now, sorry…) AHHH this was so so sooo good! so good.

FYI, this is definitely a healthy way to get your chicken cordon bleu fix.. check out the stats:

sweet.

since i had no title for the post and i ate ham two days in a row, i just now made the decision to title this post “hammy”. and if you ask me, that’s pretty cheesy. oh well, you can’t win them all.

i just got done eating dinner and am going to update my insanity page and then go experiment in the kitchen. i want to try out some healthy baking with protein powder. i will let you know when i have success!

1. do you like ham? i can’t eat ham very often and when i do it has to be small doses. the reason is because i HATE really salty stuff… and ham is so salty.  and, yep, that means i don’t really like bacon. is that a sin? jessica probably thinks so..

2. what is your favorite kind of protein bar? simply bars come in first for me and perfect foods bars come in second.

simplyshaka April 4, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Waking up at 445? Good for you. I was still in la la land at that point and waking up early on a Monday is a no no in my world. And why do I keep repeating stupid words?? Sigh.

I am not a huge baked ham person but don’t mind deli ham so much. I need those potatoes in my life (both kinds) I’ve never heard of funeral potatoes.

Jessica @ How Sweet April 4, 2011 at 6:57 pm

i don’t know if we can be friends anymore..

(but i really don’t like ham.)

emily April 4, 2011 at 7:08 pm

1. I don’t eat pork, so no ham for me. I love salty things though.

2. My favorite kind of protein bar (or you know, anything) are the cookie dough Balance Bars. They are too good!

Go you for getting up at 4:45 to do the insanity workout…. that sounds like insanity to me! :)

lowandbhold April 4, 2011 at 7:10 pm

I’m not a huge ham fan and I also dislike bacon. I can eat both in very small does but that’s about it.
I like the Luna Cookies ‘n Cream protein bar. It’s teeny but tasty.

BroccoliHut April 4, 2011 at 7:12 pm

That Sunday spread looks exactly like what my mom makes for Easter every year! Yum!
My favorite protein bars are Clif (chocolate chip) and Kashi Roll! bars (Chocolate Turtle).

Mariah@Applesnoats April 4, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Those scalloped potatoes look awesome!
I love Luna bars too:)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) April 4, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Sunday dinner looks AWESOME! My mom only does one potato at a time. :( I’ll complain next time. hehe

I love ham, but it’s salty, so I can’t eat much of it.

My favorite protein bar? Clif or Luna, even though the soy protein isolate is bad news.

actorsdiet April 4, 2011 at 7:26 pm

i just heard a whole NPR show on funeral potatoes. they sound delicious.

Heather (Heather's Dish) April 4, 2011 at 7:37 pm

oh my gosh, i love ham…well, just pork in general. it’s so good! but nate only likes it during the holidays, and my theory is that he eats so much of it then that he kills it for the rest of the year!

Abby April 4, 2011 at 7:41 pm

I’m not a big fan of ham. It is WAY too salty for my liking. I really like Crunchy Peanut Butter Clif bars. I also like the Chocolate Dipped Coconut and Smores Luna bars. Those seem more like dessert to me though! lol.

runyogarepeat April 4, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Wow, good job waking up at 4:45 to workout! It feels great to get in morning workouts, but most of the time, sleep overrules any desire to wake up for me.

kbwood April 4, 2011 at 8:04 pm

i absolutely love you and your casseroles!

Jess April 4, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Wow, awesome job getting up at 4:45. I couldn’t do that!

Sheila April 4, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Dinner with family is always the best:)))

Marisa April 4, 2011 at 8:33 pm

“I am a baby.” – you always cried when we called you the baby of the family. Finally you can admit it. Sofi now cries about it when we say it.

Mama Pea April 4, 2011 at 8:36 pm

I’m totally following your Insanity journey. And then I’ll be buying the DVDs. You should get your money back for the free advertising!

Hi Momma B…looking good!!! :)

Annette @EnjoyYourHealthyLife April 4, 2011 at 8:40 pm

I want to try those simply bars- they look awesome! I don’t like ham at all-but glad you loved it two days in a row.

Tw April 4, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I like ham…I dice it and use it in ham corn chowder….so easy and sets up well in the crock pot(for your busy yoga nights) Get your money’s worth! Also ham in a pot of pinto beans(in crock) easy and I serve it will clean corn bread OR cheese whole wheat tortillas! Easy and good! Ooh protein bars….I like LOTS OF them! EAS are $$$ but good.

Allison @ Food For Healing April 4, 2011 at 9:18 pm

your insane for getting up that early! but good for you.
I haven`t had ham for quite a while, ive been on and off a fan of it, lately ive been restricting meat so.
ive liked luna and clif bars, but i think i`m going to buy me some of those, they got kick ass protein compared to the other ones!

Laura (starloz) April 4, 2011 at 10:43 pm

i’m with you, ham is stupidly salty & i can’t cant go thre. i’m not a fan of over salted.

i’m glad your mom is doing better, it was scary.

oh & i love that you cook national day themed foods, it’s awesome

MelissaNibbles April 5, 2011 at 1:41 am

I’m so proud of you for getting up early! You get used to it the more you do it. Isn’t it nice to have your evening free? Great job!

Katherine: Unemployed April 5, 2011 at 3:10 am

the only kind of ham I have is the kind when I’m ‘hamming it up’ in pictures (how did that phrase get started anyway?)

simply bars are on my list for foods to research, drool over, and wish I could afford for sure! I don’t know if they are in stores near me

Cathy K April 5, 2011 at 3:31 am

for a while we were in the lovely routine of going to my parents’ for sunday eve dinner plus a rousing game of YAHTZEE!!! fun times! glad you got marshall to play this week, too!
thanks for the update on you momma…she continues to be in my thoughts.
ham? ick. i don’t know which is worse, ham or roast beef. never been a fan, even as a child.
great work on the insanity!!! keep it up!!

Sarah (Running To Slow Things Down) April 5, 2011 at 3:51 am

I’m in the same boat as you when it comes to ham. Which is funny, because I absolutely love cottage cheese which is super salty. But maybe in a different way?

I don’t know. But I still like ham, just in definite smaller portions. :D

The Teenage Taste April 5, 2011 at 4:00 am

I love ham! Only the “real” kind though. I’m not a fan of lunchmeat ham.
Sunday dinner looks fabulous. I need to make those scalloped potatoes!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine April 5, 2011 at 4:13 am

I hate ham, haha. As a kid whenever we’d get honey baked ones I’d pick off the honey coating from half the roast and just eat that. Fave protein bar is probably Clif Builders!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 5, 2011 at 4:29 am

Momma B is looking so good! Wonderful to see.

Ham, no. Hate it. Havent had it since I was about 6 or 7 yrs old. Will die without eating it, i can guarantee. I truly hate it! Sorry, just being honest :)

Erica April 5, 2011 at 4:31 am

WOW! Great job to your Mom on the dinner. I would have been all over the potatoes, asparagus and that salad (hooray for avocado). Unfortunately, not much of a ham gal. I am a big fan of early morning workouts. I teach Pump first thing Monday morning and it always sets the tone for my week. Can’t wait to hear more about your experiences with insanity. Beautius casserole dinner.

Holly @ The Runny Egg April 5, 2011 at 4:37 am

I just love all of your casseroles – the chicken cordon bleu looks so good.

I’m not a huge ham eater, we have it maybe 2x per year on holidays?

Heather April 5, 2011 at 4:42 am

Your mom makes the best balanced meals!!! Those potatoes look awesome!
We don’t eat a lot of ham except for on holidays. C is already asking about having ham on Easter. :)

coffeeandthepaper April 5, 2011 at 4:44 am

I just wanted to say I think Momma B looks great in that photo!

withasideofhope April 5, 2011 at 4:57 am

Those potatoes look incredible! Yum! I’ve actually never had ham before. I cannot bring myself to eat pig. I won’t even eat regular bacon. Turkey bacon all the way! :)

kristine April 5, 2011 at 5:38 am

thanks, girl! i’m assuming i’m “one of the ones” :) love it! i know it takes lots of time so i appreciate it!
i’m not a big ham fan either. i like a slice on easter and thanksgiving and then i’m good for the year. i’m with you – too salty!

Salah April 5, 2011 at 6:24 am

that chicken cordon blue casserole looks sooo amazing!!!!

brandi April 5, 2011 at 6:31 am

can’t WAIT for that casserole recipe! it looks awesome :)

and good job to you two getting up so early!

Errign April 5, 2011 at 6:50 am

That’s totally the flavor bar I was drooling over yesterday.

Mmmm, chicken cordon bleu is one of my favorites, so I’m excited for this recipe!

biz319 April 5, 2011 at 7:36 am

Your Momma looks great! Lovely dinner. And my daughter who hardly eats any meat . . . will eat . . . Ham!

Love your chicken cordon bleu casserole – I’ve even grilled that dish – its one of our favorite combos.

The pictures look like ass, but it was delicious!

Mari April 5, 2011 at 7:48 am

Sunday dinner looks amazing…especially BOTH of the potatoes! great job on waking up so early to workout

natalie (the sweets life) April 5, 2011 at 8:27 am

I’m not doing the 2 month insanity program but I borrowed the videos from a friend and plan to do a few a week to keep things changed up from running and lifting…I LOVE them though–they truly are insane but in a good way :)

ps. that is SO sweet of your mom to make marshall his own potatoes! it always makes me so happy when my mom does special stuff for my hubby!

Mary (what's cookin' with mary) April 5, 2011 at 8:51 am

Your Mom has got to be the sweetest MIL ever. Who makes a whole pan potatoes (aka a family sized pan) for one guy who loves them…? momma B! :D Love her!

I actually can’t believe you got up at 4:45 (and then worked out)?! Who are you ?!?!?

1) I like ham bit don’t eat it much for the same reasons as you. It’s always TOO SALTY! Too bad they don’t ever make a low sodium version ..? I mean, who the heck needs all that salt?

2)homemade ones ! I really like Averie’s recipe for no bake bars. I make the version w.o coconut oil and then keep them in the freezer. http://www.loveveggiesandyoga.com/2010/01/vegan-peanut-butter-choc-chip-protein.html

Emily April 5, 2011 at 9:02 am

Way to go! Digital high five. How dorky ;) Two perfect dinners. I love ham, but only on certain occasions. Like Easter, which is coming up! I’m still super stoked for the casserole recipe. Also RUMMIKUB!! I LOVE that game, and no one usually knows what it is. I beat Dustin (almost) every time!

Yoga: Can you make it by 5:30? If so, let’s go Tues or Thurs. xoxoooooooooooooo

Graze With Me April 5, 2011 at 9:45 am

You’re dedication to this yoga thing really has me thinking I need to step it up and get my butt to a studio!! Thanks for the motivation. :)

Btw, I hate hate hate bacon. Ham is just alright but I’m not a huge pork person. Pigs have been proven to be as smart as 3-year old children and I feel guilty eating them….

Graze With Me April 5, 2011 at 9:46 am

I can’t believe I just spelled “you’re” instead of “your”. PREGNANCY AFFECTS THE BRAIN!!!!! AHHHHH!

cleaneatingchelsey April 5, 2011 at 10:03 am

I love momma cooked meals!!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) April 5, 2011 at 1:59 pm

ah insanity…I did it last summer…It actually started to bother my feet from al of the jumping, I had to get new insanity shoes. they were sneaks i only wore for insanity that help stabalize my ankles. The workouts are def fun and intense! awesome job getting up so early! i wake up at 415 for work at 5 so Im right there with ya!

jackie April 5, 2011 at 2:37 pm

that looks mighty tasty. love ham a few times a year. i always love bacon. the casserole looks delish, thinking of making it with whole wheat noodles instead of panko cause we like noodley doodley over here ;)

do you get those protein bars at whole foods? i want to try them before buying online…

Freckled Foodie April 6, 2011 at 10:55 am

not a huge fan of ham, but every now and then when i’m craving something salty, ham does the trick! :)

xo.

kissmybroccoli April 8, 2011 at 8:43 pm

I am the same exact way with salty stuff and therefore ham and bacon too! Every now and then I’ll get a craving for it, but I probably eat it like once or twice a year!

I’ve never thought to mix cottage cheese with tuna before…thanks for the idea. And oh.mi.goodness that casserole looks amazing!

So glad to hear Momma B is doing well! Still keeping you guys in my thoughts and prayers!