guest post!—> christin l.

by Janetha on March 21, 2011

in meals

Hello, Meals and Movers!

I’m Christin from Purple Bird Blog, where I write about balancing healthy eating among my crazy life of full-time work, massage therapy school, my two pups, and lots of other shenanigans. I am honored to be guest posting for the lovely Janetha today.  When she asked me to guest post, I knew I had to make a casserole in the honor of my favorite casserole making gal!  :)

Cheezy Sweet Potato Casserole

Casserole ingredients:

• 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice (I cooked mine in veggie broth)
  • one can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 3-4 cups frozen veggie blend of your choice
  • two cans sweet potato puree (or just puree up some baked or steamed sweet potatoes, probably 2-3 good sized potatoes)
  • cheezy sauce (recipe below)

Cheezy Sauce ingredients:

• one can coconut milk (I used lite, but you could use full-fat)
  • 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
  • 1 tsp garlic
  • 2 tsp miso paste
  • 2 tsp spicy mustard

Directions:

For the sauce, stir all ingredients together in a pot until warm and well combined. Next, assemble first three components of the casserole, cover with sauce, top with sweet potato puree, cover with foil, and bake at 350° for 30 minutes.  Devour!

**************************************************************************

Let’s do this step by step!

I started by cooking some brown rice in my rice cooker with veggie broth, and when that was almost complete I assembled a quick sauce.

I whisked coconut milk, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and brown miso paste together in a pot on the stove, to which I then added some spicy brown mustard. Once it was all combined, I removed the pot from the heat and began assembling.

I layered the rice on the bottom of the casserole dish, followed by a can of rinsed and drained chickpeas, and several heaping handfuls of frozen veggies (the beloved Normandy blend, though I had picked out most of the baby carrots for another recipe, so there were only two left!), and stirred that all together.  I poured the sauce over top and covered the whole thing with a layer of sweet potato puree

I totally took a short-cut and used two cans of this stuff.

Once it was all ready, I covered it with foil and put it in the oven at 350° for 30 minutes.

We have casserole success here folks!

Yum.

A big thanks to Janetha for the guest post opportunity, and to you guys for reading!

1.  When was the last time you ate a casserole?

2.  Do you use nutritional yeast in your cooking?

<3 christin l.

Kristina @ spabettie March 21, 2011 at 4:28 pm

aw, YAY! one of my favorite bloggers at another favorite’s blog! :) so, Christin, you can make this for Janetha and then I’ll come over and we can all enjoy together, right??

these flavors sound SO good together. I use nutritional yeast All The Time, and LOVE it. I have to say I don’t really make many casseroles? I don’t really know why – perhaps I should start with this one!

lindsay March 21, 2011 at 5:09 pm

oh I agree! I just got to meet up with Christin this past weekend. So awesome and her food is too! I’ve tried it! hehe.

Holly March 21, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Christin you must be the queen of time management to get this post done, plus yours, plus work at your new job!

I don’t use my nutritional yeast as often as I would like!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) March 21, 2011 at 4:59 pm

This sounds great Christin! I am a HUGE fan of ‘nooch’ and so is my husband. When he first saw the container he was like… ‘ummmm YEAST?!’ ..but he loves it too now (esp on popcorn w. garlic powder). We also both LOVE casseroles. I make one just about every week. I like to make it ahead of time so we can just reheat portions as we want. Makes for the perfect meal when we’re gaming and just want something quick n healthy.

cbrady3 March 21, 2011 at 5:10 pm

I NEVER make casseroles usually because I’m cooking just for myself, but I love sweet potatoes and nooch so I might have to try that one!

Lisa @ Thrive Style March 21, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Fancy seeing you over here! The casserole looks super awesome!

I use nutritional yeast in many many things. Big fan of that.
Casseroles—they are a staple in this house :)

Love your posts, always :)

cleaneatingchelsey March 21, 2011 at 6:20 pm

I love nutritional yeast. I want to say that I put it on EVERYTHING!!!

Michelle March 21, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Yum, I love casseroles! I don’t use nutritional yeast all that often. I’d like to change that!

Meg March 21, 2011 at 7:02 pm

This looks amazing! Christin you rock and I can’t wait to read your blog!

Lauren March 21, 2011 at 7:27 pm

This sounds so delicious! I have to admit I’ve heard of nutritional yeast but I have never used and don’t know what it’s for?? Is it something that can typically be omitted from recipes?

kissmybroccoli March 21, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Oh my gosh! I freaking love that you are guest posting! I love the casserole! I really do not make them enough…since it’s just me, I fear the amount of leftovers and I’m not a fan of freezing! Bleh!

You know me girl…I LURVE my nooch!

Abby March 21, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Yum! That looks awesome. I’ve never used nooch but i’d like to try it! Love casseroles!

Sonia @ Master of Her Romaine March 21, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Hi Christin! Your casserole looks great- especially the cheezy sauce :) mmm

Christin@purplebirdblog March 21, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Hehehe I like seeing my face plastered all big up in here. ;) Love you, girl! xoxo

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 21, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Christin you know Im a huge fan of yours :)

And of Janetha’s!

And of nooch! I have a cheezy veggie bake up on my site right now with nooch and veggies….casseroles, “bakes”, same thing. Im a fan :)

lynn @ the actor's diet March 21, 2011 at 11:08 pm

that looks AMAZING.

Abby March 22, 2011 at 5:37 am

Good lord. That casserole includes my everyday staple ingredients with a few fun additions, so if I ever decide to actually try and make a casserole, this will be it. The end.

I enjoy “nooch” on occasion. I actually like it on hot steamed vegetables or my (daily) avocado sandwiches. I just hate the word “nooch.”

Christin@purplebirdblog March 22, 2011 at 6:50 pm

I hate that word too! So much. I’ve started using it for the sake of saving time in my posts, but it gives me icky shivers every time!

thefitacademic March 22, 2011 at 7:22 am

want to hear the saddest thing ever? The hubbs absolutely REFUSES to eat casseroles! So basically I can only make them if he’s outta town….and then I eat leftovers from it for an entire week! : ) This sounds amazing! Anything sweet potato and anything “cheesy” and I’m totally THERE!

todayilovemylife March 22, 2011 at 8:14 am

OOOH Christin, that looks SO good! I wonder if I could get my husband to eat that…maybe if I didn’t mention the “cheeze” part…he would just think it was cheese. Awesome concoction!xoxo

movesnmunchies March 22, 2011 at 9:00 am

i love christin! awesome recipe!! i love the noosh!

Salah March 22, 2011 at 9:57 am

mmm that casserole looks amazing!!!!

OliePants March 22, 2011 at 10:04 am

That is UHH-FREAKIN’-MAZING!! I love Christin’s recipes and this casserole is awesome! There is nothing in there that I won’t eat and won’t eat twice! :)

(what runs) Lori March 22, 2011 at 10:15 am

This looks so easy and incredibly delicious!
Mmmmm… vegan creamy cheesy wonderfulness!

whatkateiscooking March 22, 2011 at 11:30 am

I don’t make casseroles often, but this looks so good! I’m a huge fan of nutritional yeast :)

Caree @ Fit-Mama March 22, 2011 at 2:01 pm

yum, looks awesome. To be honest, I have never cooked with nutritional yeast!

Julia March 22, 2011 at 2:43 pm

I’ve got nutritional yeast on hand and have been looking for a good recipe. So glad you shared this one Christin!

Janetha, I hope things are getting sorted out – miss you and sending you thoughts and prayers.