fast + festive.

by Janetha on March 17, 2011

in meals

today has been a DAY. i will spare you the details, only because i can’t wait to hit the hay and wake up to welcome friday with open arms.

sooo.. i present to you my st. patrick’s day eats.. very fast, very festive!

i started my morning off with green protein pancakes.

IMG_9786IMG_9788

only slightly creepy.. right?

they were delicious, albeit a bit strange looking.

if you are a longtime reader, you may remember all my green eats last st. pat’s, including green protein waffles. OH, and i just looked at last year’s post and realized i wore the SAME green cardigan last year. it’s my favorite cardigan, i am not surprised. also, i glanced at the comments and am so happy that so many of you guys were my blog friends back then! awe, memories.

oh yeah, i forgot, fast + festive. sorry, i am long winded.

lunch was in a green bowl and involved green broccoli, along with tofu marinara casserole leftovers.

i also had a mini cheesecake for lunch dessert!

afternoon snacks were less than festive.. and who wants to see food if it isn’t focused around the color green, right?

i went home with good intentions to workout, but i hit the bed with these two sweeties and took a short nap. like i said, it’s been a day.

IMG_0231IMG_0232

i also had good  intentions to make a festive dinner for st. patrick’s day—sweet potato shepherd’s pie & irish soda bread. and yes, shepherd’s pie is a casserole and it would have been the fourth in a row this week.

well, plans changed, because rory asked marshall if he wanted to walk the dogs downtown. who am i to deny my pups of a jaunt around the town?! plus, kristen & rory are watching after kane, a massive rottweiler, and he needed some play time with penny & randy (well, mainly randy.)

on the way downtown i ate this apple pie larabar.. picked this flavor based on the green wrapper alone.

downtown photo shoot!

yes, kane makes randy look tiny. what’s even funnier is seeing penny next to kane.

IMG_0238IMG_0240IMG_0241IMG_0242IMG_0243IMG_0244

we snagged some coffee to warm up and then walked back to kristen & rory’s. it was almost 9 PM by then and i was staaaarving for dinner. we came home and i fixed a fast & not-so-festive dinner.

tuna sandwich on wheat.

hey, at least the pickles & avocado are green!

GOOD NIGHT! friday tomorrow—yippee!

1. did you eat anything green for st. pat’s?

2. do you like big dogs or little dogs better?

Jessiker March 17, 2011 at 9:14 pm

I didn’t eat one single green thing today. Not one. I didn’t eat much at all today in general.
I like medium dogs, shiba inu size.
I miss you, happy St. Patrick’s day.

Jess March 17, 2011 at 9:15 pm

So much green food!
I like big dogs better, I think. My boyfriend has a mastiff and I am beginning to love her- although a litttllle smaller is probably more my style:)

maria @ Chasing the Now March 17, 2011 at 9:16 pm

We weren’t blog friends last year, but I am glad we are now! :)

Lots of pretty green eats today. Hope tomorrow is a better day–it’s Friday!

katshealthcorner March 17, 2011 at 9:18 pm

One of the things I ate today was PEAS! Those little green balls of joy! :D Can you believe I used to abhor them!?

Your pancakes look SO COOL!!! I want to make those for breakfast tomorrow!!!!

xoxo
Kathleen

klh March 17, 2011 at 9:18 pm

I LOVE the green food theme! The pancakes look craze tho! Happy Friday girl!

Katie :)

Allison @ Food For Healing March 17, 2011 at 9:22 pm

i didn’t eat anything green today, im not big into that hype.
i love small puppies, they dont plow you down when they get excited

Jessica March 17, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Love your pancakes! No green food for me today. At least not yet, maybe a spinach salad with dinner (that counts, right)?
I have always preferred big dogs. My boyfriend has an English Bulldog, and somehow I ended up with little French Bulldog, but she’s even small for her breed – not even 20 lbs. Her name is Penny also. :)

Meg March 17, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Hey girl! Sorry your day was such a doozie, I hope tomorrow is kinder to you.

My green food today was KIWI. Yum.

Stephanie March 17, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Awww….wish I had been a blogger a year ago! I wore the same thing this year too! Same shoes three years running (green flats!) i wrote all about how i incorporated GREEN into my day today! Looks like you were on the same wavelength! LOVE it!

whatkateiscooking March 17, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Drooling over the mini cheesecake! Holy yum!

edenseats March 17, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Ha! I totally remember your green food from last year!!! Wow, time flies!

I love your dogs and most dogs. I tend to be biased and like big to medium dogs more since I grew up with a big dog. But I like some little ones. I hate teeny tiny “step-on” dogs (because they are so small, you can step on them) that yap and any dog wearing an outfit turns me off. Well, at least the owner turns me off.

O right and green things I ate today….gum and does my toothpaste count??? I think theres a green stripe in there! Oh and I made green baked doughnuts! you gotta make em (green is optional, actually, I discourage it cause it ended up looking like nickelodeon slime doughnuts).

MelissaNibbles March 18, 2011 at 2:36 am

Oh my gosh. Please take a picture of your poo in the morning. All that food coloring…awesome.

1970kikiproject March 18, 2011 at 3:01 am

those are some INTENSELY green pancakes, janetha! if you had not had anything else green to eat the entire day, they’d make up for that fact!! love ’em. i had avacado, spinach salad, broccoli as part of my meals today – a bit of green participation!
i am more than slightly terrified of all dogs. but i love that photo of the graffiti wall. i love intense colours (see above pancake comment – haha!)
hope your friday is a delightful one!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 18, 2011 at 3:05 am

anything green? yes a huge salad with brock, romaine, cukes, zukes, edamame :)

love the looks of those pancakes!!! and the little cupcakes…again, you are such a tease!

Erica March 18, 2011 at 3:57 am

Sorry it was one of those days. But at least today is Friday! Whoop! Green pancakes? haha- those are so fun. I plan to make stuff like that all the time when I have the baby. I think she’ll love colorful food. And a great walk too. I like medium & larger dogs best. I actually really LOVE Frank’s size (about Randy’s size). Hope you have a good one <3

lindsay March 18, 2011 at 4:21 am

I think randy is giving me the stink eye, no? I ate a green monster and collard greens with dinner!!! does that count? Pinch me now, its friday!

cleaneatingchelsey March 18, 2011 at 4:29 am

You were so festive today! Far more than I was, that’s for sure!

Heather March 18, 2011 at 4:32 am

i’m a big dog kind of girl…but when it comes down to it i love all dogs :)

no green for me yesterday! unless you count the green chiles in my leftover enchiladas :)

Heather March 18, 2011 at 4:35 am

I don’t think I ate anything green yesterday – I even had a red pepper instead of green! Oh well…….I think you made up for it for me. :)

paijery March 18, 2011 at 4:53 am

I didn’t eat any green food but I did eat sweet potato shepard’s pie :D
Hope you have a great day today!!

Pure2raw twins March 18, 2011 at 4:53 am

oh yes we enjoyed lots of green foods yesterday :)

Love green pancakes!

We grew up with little dogs, but my two older sisters have big dogs now, so it is a nice change!

Lee March 18, 2011 at 5:07 am

I love big dogs.

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate March 18, 2011 at 5:13 am

Wow you really went all out on the green today ;)

withasideofhope March 18, 2011 at 5:42 am

I love that green bowl! I also love that you tried to eat everything green! So cute! Yesterday in my lunch, I had avocadoes and those are green! Haha! For dinner, I had corned beef and cabbage. Does that count? :)

I like medium sized dogs. I like to be able to pick up the dog and put them on my lap or carry them around.

Holly March 18, 2011 at 5:56 am

I love all your green foods — I had some spinach in a salad and green beans with dinner — that was it!

I like big dogs and small dogs — but if I were to get a dog I’d get a big dog. I don’t really have a reason why!

Susan March 18, 2011 at 6:49 am

Ahaha, I went back and read your post, then scrolled through the comments to find mine. Feels like I was living on an entirely different planet then :P

I CAN’T WAIT to be back home with my Archiekins!! (the poodle) Even though he’ll be at my mom’s place, I expect I’ll be over there tons. My dad also has a boxer bull mastiff that lives part-time at his place named Buddy. For being such a ferocious looking dog, he’s veryvery shy. Anyways, dog rambling aside, I actually prefer smaller dogs. They’re just easier to care for. Especially when you live in a smaller house. One of my mom’s dogs just passed away so I’m trying to convince her to get a dog with me that we can share care with between the two homes :)

lowandbhold March 18, 2011 at 6:52 am

Sorry about the less than stellar day :(
I had green brussels sprouts for dinner and then a green beer.
I love all dogs!

rebecca lustig March 18, 2011 at 7:05 am

i’m really impressed by the effort you put into being festive!! Definitely win the title for ‘most festive blogger’ for the day!

Nicole C March 18, 2011 at 7:38 am

Seeing as I don’t eat anything green, I cannot say I did. I love St. Patricks Day though and I desperately want to celebrate in Ireland one day. I miss it there.

Well, you know my answer by now. I like both since i have both. I got a bit of a chuckle at the “massive” rottweiler. Kronus isn’t the biggest of the mastiffs but his head is so much bigger than that cute Kane. I wish I could take Kronus on a walk..maybe if I saddle him..

Michelle March 18, 2011 at 7:56 am

Love all the green, even if the pancakes are a little creepy. I’m sure they tasted good though!

K is for Karma March 18, 2011 at 8:12 am

Love all the green food — tho pancakes look killer! Hope your Friday is a fabulous one!

ilovefetacheese March 18, 2011 at 8:19 am

ahahahah I love this post!! Those green pancakes are STELLAR!

cbrady3 March 18, 2011 at 8:48 am

You totally kicked my butt on green today! I did have Colcannon and Soda bread for lunch (with a green salad!) and an extra stout after work, but didn’t try to make my other foods festive!

Jenn (GH) March 18, 2011 at 9:07 am

Dude, you are too much with all that green stuff! Ha ha! The only green thing I ate was some veggies. I wasn’t in the best of place mentally yesterday so I could not have cared less about St. Patrick’s day. Just think, I’m part Irish too. ;-)

Love all dogs except I’m not found of long or wiry haired dogs big or small b/c they look greasy to me. I still covet Penny! Sorry.

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) March 18, 2011 at 9:58 am

I love Randy! That shot of him with the rot is so adorable… he looks SO happy :) I love how his ears look like they’re kinda puffed out. My lab used to do that when she was super happy. Miss her!

The only semi-festive thing I ate/ did was make us green monsters for bfast…

I prefer medium to large dogs… I think that whatever kind of dog you grew up with hold a special place in your heart ;) We had an Australian Sheppard & then later a yellow lab. no offense to peeps with small dogs, but they always seem kind of yappy to me…

Tessa at Amazing Asset March 18, 2011 at 10:23 am

Phew those Pancakes are quite a color, and I am sure delicious!

I had a green smoothie in the morning, then a green beer later in the day :)

Naomi March 18, 2011 at 10:40 am

well i ate TONS of greens…sugar snap peas, spinach, brocolli, cucumber! thats about how green I got! i love your festiveness when it comes to foodie holidays or any holiday in general! its so fun :)

haha the green pancakes ar eslighly creepy, but totally would devour them right up!

Jen@jensdaily March 18, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Nope, no green for me. I suck at remembering things like that! I love those green pancakes though :)

Amy March 18, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I am terrified of big dogs! I lost my two front teeth as a kid by flipping over my bike handlebars and biting a rock — due to being chased down by two huuuuge dogs.. Clearly…im not over it :)

April March 18, 2011 at 4:30 pm

I love all dogs BUT…I love big dogs! I used to be a little dog person until we got Boomer. Now I look at my mom’s pom and my sister’s weiner dog and Boomer is just so much more like a person, better behaved and more to hug :)

I love Penelope and Randy though!! ;)

simplyshaka March 18, 2011 at 5:16 pm

I adore that picture of Penny by the coffee! And now it’s 8P and I have to wake up at 6A and I want coffee, boooooooo!

I love all 4 legged friends but team small dog all the way! Lincoln is little but he got groomed yesterday and now he looks like Mr. Bigglesworth from Austin Powers. I’m afraid to pick up my own dog in fear that I will break him :(

Laura (starloz) March 18, 2011 at 5:21 pm

green, i went with easy … avocado.

Alyssa Moeller March 18, 2011 at 6:06 pm

How do you feel about the Magic Bullet? I’ve been thinking about getting one!

janetha March 22, 2011 at 11:30 am

I love it! So much that I have two.. one at home and one at work!

LauraJayne March 18, 2011 at 6:38 pm

I had a pretty less-than-average St. Patty’s Day – but I made up for it by wearing and eating green today! It’s like I was in Europe, except backwards 8 hours instead of forward… Glad you had a good day!

julie March 18, 2011 at 7:00 pm

haha is it super weird that i remember your green food day last year..

BroccoliHut March 18, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Love your festive pancakes!
I just made a green monster to celebrate.

Haley Greenwell March 20, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Loving the green! :) My fave color! ha
I want to try the pancakes!

And I like little dogs better, but I don’t like it when they bark a lot. Small dogs tend to do that :P

Christin@purplebirdblog March 20, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I looooove big dogs, but my babies weigh 16 and 36 pounds respectively. :)

dani March 22, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Just stumbled onto your blog and really like it! Also, love that your husband is wearing a Pig Destroyer hoodie! Soo good