hey guys! i left my camera home today, so my breakfast, lunch & snack are MIA. try not to be too heart broken. you’ve seen eggs, fruit, veggies, hummus, protein shakes and tuna sandwiches before. dinner, however, is something new! i made up a great his + hers casserole that i want to share with you.
first, my workout.
marshall & i went to the gym together today from 4:30 to 5:30. because i was there for a whole hour (that’s a long time for me!) i split up my cardio with the treadmill and the stairmill—my two favorite pieces of cardio equipment.
|minute #||speed MPH||RPE (rate of exertion from 1 to 10)|
orientation / step #
|0-3||10||facing front single step|
|3-5||6||facing front double step|
|5-8||10||facing front single step|
|8-10||6||facing front double step|
|10-12||8||facing back single step|
|12-13||8||facing left single step|
|13-14||8||facing right single step|
|14-15||6||facing front single step|
i finished the workout off with 10 minutes of abs and stretching. i don’t love being at the gym for an hour, but to be honest.. it’s probably good for me. i shouldn’t complain and should actually be grateful marshall is there to motivate me. i am so glad he’s started going to the gym every day! proud wife right here.
the best part about leaving the gym was that it was STILL light out. love love love it. i came home to the most fabulous trader joe’s package ever from reader kristen~
wow is all i can say. THANK YOU, kristen, you are too good to be true. i am floored by your generosity. and the generosity of the blogging community in general. i have recently received fun things from eden, erica and katie and still need to blog about those!
i had big plans to make a chicken broccoli casserole using quinoa as the grain, but marshall said he wanted rice AND quinoa in his. and a lot (i mean a LOT) of cheese. i decided to make two mini casseroles to make both of us happy.
mine is obviously on the right.. here’s the recipe!
chicken & broccoli quinoa casserole.
serves two (or, in my case, serves one plus one serving of leftovers for lunch the next day!)
- 8 oz (raw weight) organic chicken diced into 1” cubes
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (that’s about 1/2 cup uncooked)
- 1/2 cup organic all natural cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup 0% plain greek yogurt
- 2 cups steamed broccoli florets
- salt, pepper and TJ’s 21 seasoning salute (optional)
- sprinkle of parmesan cheese (optional)
- season chicken with salt, pepper & 21 seasoning salute.
- heat a small skillet over medium-high heat and sauté chicken & onion until chicken is cooked through.
- meanwhile, steam your broccoli. i think you’ve got this one.
- meanwhile again, cook your quinoa according to directions (or google it).
- meanwhile one more time, grab the rest of your ingredients.
- in a bowl, combine cooked chicken & onions, cooked quinoa, cream of chicken soup, yogurt and broccoli. season with salt & pepper to taste.
- pour contents of bowl into small loaf pan or casserole dish. i used a 4 x 8 loaf pan.
- sprinkle with parmesan cheese if desired and bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
i love the texture of quinoa!
dynamite. and we have his & hers leftovers for tomorrow.
side note: i love this rubbermade tupperware from costco! we bought two sets.
in case you are wondering about marshall’s casserole.. it had all the ingredients mine did but about 1.5 times as much of everything plus 1 cup of white rice and 1 cup of shredded cheddar and monterey jack cheeses. the boy is trying to gain weight.
marshall has been nagging me to learn how to make brownies from scratch. not just any brownies—but brownies that taste like betty crocker’s fudge brownies.
after all, they are america’s favorite. not gonna lie.. i love these boxed brownies just as much as the next american.
anyway, back to marshall requesting brownies. this has been going on for a few months now. i keep meaning to make him brownies, i even bought the ingredients a couple weeks ago. i asked everyone on twitter what a good, chewy, NOT cake-like brownie recipe was. i had a few suggestions and i want to try them all out.
after seeing katie’s second brownie showdown from yesterday, i found some motivation to whip up a batch and see how they turned out.
marshall didn’t waste any time helping himself to 1/4 of the pan as soon as they were cool enough to touch.
oh, yeah. these ARE just as good as the boxed brownies—if not better! plus, making things from scratch is more fun.
these were chewy and chocolatey and SO easy to make. dangerously easy, actually. just call me betty crocker! no more boxed brownies at this house.
if you are looking for a good brownie recipe, look no further. these 5 ingredient one bowl brownies are your ticket to dessert heaven. now if only i had some fresh vanilla bean ice cream…
1. quick! brownies or blondies? honestly—blondies. i love brownies but after a couple bites i am on chocolate overload. i feel like blondies are a nice blank canvas and you can throw whatever add-ins into the batter and the blondie takes on that flavor.
2. if you have a significant other—do you eat his + hers meals or do you eat the same thing? marshall and i usually eat the same thing, but i do make him variations on occasions (like tonight).
xo. janetha g.