how to survive the treadmill.

by Janetha on March 12, 2011

in meals,moves

HOLA! happy saturday to all of you. hope your day has been fabulous.

mine has been great. i slept in until 10 AM today.. it felt amazing. i could have kept sleeping, but i had a lot to do today. i broke the fast with a couple favorites:

favorite on the left: kashi golean, bananas & almond milk. favorite on the right: java.

i also threw in some kashi puffs to amp up the volume a bit.

marshall & i meandered to the gym around noon. saturday at the gym is so dead. i love it. marshall was working out his legs and i had cardio on the schedule, so we went out separate ways.

i typically never run more than 3 miles when i do cardio. usually less. because i knew i would be at the gym for about an hour due to marshall’s lifting routine, i decided to set a goal to run 5 miles.

i don’t know about you, but 5 miles on the treadmill is booooo-ring. not all of us are like this girl who can last 20 miles on the treadmill (janae, you crazy.)

i am going to share my treadmill routine because i KNOW the treadmill is boring, and guess what? i didn’t get bored at ALL during this. it’s all about staying busy pressing buttons.

here it is:

minute # speed (MPH) incline rate
0-1 4 0 warm up
1-2 5 0 warm up
2-5 6 0 warm up
5-6:30 7 0 run
6:30-7 9 0 sprint
repeat 90 second run and 30 second sprint for a total of 10 sets
7-25 7 to 9 0 run/sprint
25-30 4 15 walk

i took a break right here at 30 minutes—i had to refill my water bottle! this was 3.38 miles. it was really fun to change the speed so often and it kept me entertained.

i had 1.62 to go. i hopped back on the treadmill and did the following routine at a 0 incline:

minute # speed (MPH)
0-3 6
3-6 6.5
6-9 7
9-12 7.5
12-14 8

that 14 minute routine took me to the 5 mile mark in a total of 44 minutes. this is about a 9 minute mile, but i was constantly changing from running, sprinting, jogging and walking so it really wasn’t a steady pace at all. it was fun, exciting and full of fat burning intervals!

i came home and channeled my inner gliding calm with a snack plate for lunch.

it had everything!

cottage cheese & tuna fish with pickles for protein..

snap peas..

baby cukes…

baby carrots..

homemade hummus for dippage..

mary’s gone crackers caraway crackers for crunch!

makes a great meal! sorry chef boyardee, i win.IMG_9534

marshall and i spent the greater part of the afternoon working on the house. we are slowly getting everything done.. i patched a bunch of spots on the walls and we need to paint a few areas.. slowly but surely!

these two were no help at all:

take a closer look at penny’s leg placement:

i don’t even know.

well, i have a busy night ahead of me! dinner with the girls and then marshall is meeting up with me so we can hang out at a few different friends’ houses. check ya later!

1. do you hate the treadmill or love it?

2. what did you have for lunch?

clearly those questions are super boring. what can ya do. later!

simplyshaka March 12, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Miss Penelope is a dirty little girl! That pic makes me love her even more though so that does that say about me??

I had beef brisket for lunch for this place I got a deal off of on Half Off Depot. It was meh-tastic. I’m getting ready to watch movies and cuddle with my pup–enjoy your night!

Pure2raw twins March 12, 2011 at 6:25 pm

haha great picture…dogs can be so funny sometimes :)

snack plate looks great!

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate March 12, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Treadmill = HATE IT!

Susan March 12, 2011 at 6:32 pm

That last picture just made my day! Haha! Will have to try out your treadmill routine – sounds pretty good :)

Sometimes I hate the treadmill and sometimes I love it.. depends on my mood!

For lunch I had oatmeal (I had oatmeal for breakfast too… oops. Carb overload) and apparently I was very hungry so I had a pb and j sandwich on whole wheat bread too (more carbs.. ooops).

Allison @ Food For Healing March 12, 2011 at 6:33 pm

silly pups hehe

the treadmill is so easy to get bored on, but it is more fun to do intervals, keeps things a little more exciting.
for lunch, i had 1/2 a veggie wrap from a coffee shop where i spent the afternoon working on homework

Abby March 12, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Haha those dogs!! That is hilarious!!! I wish my puppy had a brother or sister to cuddle with. The hubs says no, tho :(

Great job on the treadmill! I really hate them. In fact i have an unofficial goal this year to never run on one! ;)

Dawn March 12, 2011 at 6:34 pm

I have to admit that I am not a treadmill lover. I’m trying though…any tips?

Trisha March 12, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Treadmill can be super rough…but intervals always make it a bit better!

Amanda March 12, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Sometimes I really wish I was a dog. No joke. They have the life!

I like the treadmill for 3 miles or less. That’s all I can handle.

As for lunch, I had a mango chobani with strawberries and french vanilla granola. I’ve been snacky all day so it wasn’t anything huge.

cbrady3 March 12, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Awesome treadmill run! I love the treadmill for speedwork and warmth…winters here are brutal for outdoor runs!
And for lunch I had a blackbean burger at a bar – celerbating St. Paddy’s!

lindsay March 12, 2011 at 7:02 pm

LOL! That last shot was awesome. Head to butt, love it. Longest I’ve done on the treadmill is 13. I need a good playlist and some kind of “track” session to get me through it.

Cherlyn March 12, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I DVR my fav shows and the only way I get to watch them is while on my treadmill. Makes the time go by SO much faster. Love the intervals idea.

janae @hungryrunnergirl.com March 12, 2011 at 7:26 pm

I want your pups!! Ha, thanks for the linkage….I really think I am a little bit crazy!! Awesome workout. I am SO glad you got to sleep in…you deserve it!! K, I will come up to SLC ANYTIME for a blogger meet-up!! Let me know what day works for you and we will put it together k?!?

Sarah March 12, 2011 at 7:27 pm

oh my gosh! penny and randy are too funny! my mom’s dogs are like that too. the little one will lay right over the big one’s head without a care about where anything ends up laying! :)

i like treadmill workouts, especially for intervals. i’m really bad at keeping a constant pace running outside….

evamadera March 12, 2011 at 7:28 pm

I used to really not like the treadmill, especially after I just discovered running outside. Now I love it for interval and tempo runs.

Lunch was great today: TJ’s veggie masala burger with provolone cheese on a sandwich thin with a large honeycrisp apple and some new Jalepeño cheddar Sun Chips.

edenseats March 12, 2011 at 7:35 pm

As you know….everyone on the treadmill this morning at my gym was reading from their Ipad 2! Crazy, but then again, P diddy goes to my gym, so go figure!
I have a love/hate relationship is the treadmill. When I’m forced to watch ESPN while on it, I HATE it! When I watch Tosh.O I still kind of hate cause I cant run and laugh. I think its when I see Giada or some other food show where I love it.

I had pancakes for lunch….hey, its saturday!

Erica March 12, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Your gym is dead on Saturdays? Ours is jammin- at least until noon! Glad you got in a good run. The most mileage I can do on the treadmill is about 6-7 miles before I lose total interest. What a beautiful lunch plate. <3 gliding calm…her snack plates are the best. And your homemade hummus looks delicious. For lunch today, I had egg whites scrambled with ketchup, pickles and an apple….so random ;)

Nicole C March 12, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Hate treadmills because i suck at running but i have still been getting on one. Surprised myself with a 15 minute run and for my asthmatic lungs i was proud.

Lunch was ohana hawaiian bbq. Bbq chicken and rice mmmmm.

Don’t you just love puppy pictures?! Kronus gives me the stink eye when i take my camera out.

carly March 12, 2011 at 7:44 pm

hey i ate mary’s gone crackers with my lunch today too! dang they’re delicious.

Allison @ Runs A Latte March 12, 2011 at 7:53 pm

I used to hate it, but I’ve come to embrace it now! I just ran 21 miles on the treadmill this morning. That’s 3 hours and 15 minutes of treadmill time – it.was.intense! Gotta love marathon training.

But when I’m not training, I do what you do, just continuously push buttons.

Lunch after this involved going out for breakfast and eating a veggie skillet with a side of silver dollar pancakes. Definitely wasn’t going for healthy this afternoon.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 12, 2011 at 7:53 pm

“it’s all about staying busy pressing buttons.”—

LOL and so true!!!!!

Ok though, I admit, I HATE HATE HATE the TMill!

Not only is it boring, I end up injuring myself on it. I don’t know what it is about my gait or how my feet strike the belt, but I can run a long ways outside on real roads, but give me 2 miles on the TM and I will be injured for 2 weeks. Ankles, knees, shins, hips…I was just not designed to be on that thing!

Good thing I live in San Diego where I can workout outdoors year round :)

Cindy March 12, 2011 at 7:55 pm

ha ha, your dogs are so funny!

the treadmill…i don’t mind it but it can definitely be boring…we’ve got a tv in our work out room and it still doesn’t dull the pain sometimes!

hellomily March 12, 2011 at 7:56 pm

I’m a big snack plate luncher as well– you can bet I had a delicious one this afternoon!

Oh and, I feel ambivalent about the treadmill…I definitely don’t hate it as much as some runners out there!

jackie March 12, 2011 at 8:34 pm

hate the treadmill but run at least 3 times a week on one when the weather is crappy. i make it a game too and it goes by alot faster, but i still would rather be outside for sure.

lunch was a mediteranean turkey sandwich on a whole wheat cibatta. very tasty. i love snacky meals too. my favorite is a yummy crusty bread, fruit, veggies and cheese.

Lauren March 12, 2011 at 9:27 pm

I would much rather run outside, but the treadmill keeps me on track for speedwork. I think it’s so fun when I’m alternating speeds and when there’s a TV on the treadmill to keep me entertained.

CH March 12, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I hate the treadmill, but agree that playing with speed and incline is key! I don’t think I have run on a treadmill in maybe two months?

Happy weekend!

katshealthcorner March 12, 2011 at 11:22 pm

Hehe, your puppies are too cute! :D

I like the Treadmill, though I have to mix it up with some of the other machines. I like to keep things exciting! :D

xoxox
Kathleen

Annette @EnjoyYOURHealthyLife March 12, 2011 at 11:23 pm

I love snack plates too!!! On the treadmill I always do some sort of sprints + jog + sprints….staves off boredom for sure. I think I burned out with the treadmill by training too much for a marathon on it. Now I can hardly stand to do over 3.5 miles on it! ha!

Tamizn March 13, 2011 at 1:32 am

I don’t mind the treadmill if I do intervals but I definitely can’t just run on there for a flat run these days, nothing beats a run outside though. I had one yesterday and it was fab

Lunch yesterday was a fabulous homemade soup from a cute little restaurant followed by a vegan chocolate cherry flapjack which was AMAZING!

Have a fab Sunday x x x

Paije March 13, 2011 at 1:55 am

Ballerrrr snack plate!! I love tuna and pickles!!

teague March 13, 2011 at 2:29 am

Treadmill is not for me! I moved from Manitoba, Canada to Australia and the outdoors is way more enjoyable than inside a gym! Plus I don’t really experience winter anymore so I don’t need to worry about winter running! For lunch today I had a Winter Vegetable Korma from Heidi Swanson’s Blog 101 Cookbooks! It was DELISH!

1970kikiproject March 13, 2011 at 3:10 am

you hit the nail on the head re treadmill, j! yup – press those buttons. i switch it up either minute by minute or every song: incline, pace, something has to change. song by song is better or else you’re glued to watching the time on the display – major boring! i prefer to go outside but there is a time and a place for the treadmill, i do believe!
hope you had a great eve! kashi puffs – yes!!

MelissaNibbles March 13, 2011 at 4:42 am

I love the treadmill. I don’t feel any difference from being outside. I think I’m the only one who’s indifferent.

Eates-a-lot March 13, 2011 at 5:12 am

I don’t mind the treadmill now that they put tv’s with full cable access.
Some days what I do, is every time I see a man walk in I increase speed/incline, then everytime a woman enters/leaves I change the speed/incline. That keeps me pretty entertained. Plus you can get creative.

It was St. Patty’s Day in Pittsburgh (One of the largest parades in the country) so for lunch I had a bunch of Green Beer!

Lisa March 13, 2011 at 5:20 am

Love the treadmill!

I had a huge chopped salad for lunch with warm beets on it. Yum!

movesnmunchies March 13, 2011 at 8:26 am

im liek you! i LOVE the treadmill for interval and speed workouts but i cnt just run on it for ages!- perfect run you did- sounds pretty killer!

Sweet Cheeks March 13, 2011 at 8:46 am

the dog’s pics at the end have seriously made my morning. hehehe, I just love them! have a great sunday janetha!

The Teenage Taste March 13, 2011 at 9:00 am

That snack plate looks delicious! Especially that hummus – YUM!

thedelicateplace March 13, 2011 at 9:17 am

i can get behind that snackplate! i loathe the treadmill unless it’s frigid outside but in all honesty, i probably only run once every 2 weeks! i’d rather bike, walk, yoga or HIIT it up with stuff like bodyrock, shred or crossfit. it’s weird, i’m 10lbs lighter by NOT running?! who would have thought? i had cooked salmon over greens & other veg for lunch and a coconut-tahini bar for lunch dessert yesterday!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun March 13, 2011 at 10:21 am

Yes! Switching up and doing intervals to break up the treadmill (or any cardio equipment for that matter) makes all the difference between fun / a good workout and wanting to rip my hair out.

Katie March 13, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Hi love!

I seriously dont know if the treadmill and I can ever have a relationship ; ) I just cant stand it! I mean here and there I used to do a high incline walk on it, but besides that nope!

Lee March 13, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Haha, love the dog picture! I am just sort of meh about the treadmill. I don’t mind it for distances less than 5 miles. More than that and I feel like I’m going to die of boredom though.

Paige is Running Around Normal March 13, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Oh Penny…I love her so!
I did 4 miles on the t-mill today…gotta keep pressing those buttons! :)

fittingbackin March 13, 2011 at 2:54 pm

What a great “rainbow” plate – love it! I am a huge fan of the baby cucumbers, as well as the treadmill. :)

Christin@purplebirdblog March 13, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Dog butt hat. I love it.

Lettuce Choose Healthy March 13, 2011 at 6:38 pm

I really like the treadmill as long as it is not when I am doing my long runs. I like to change the speeds for tempo runs.

Did you flavor the hummus?

janetha March 14, 2011 at 8:40 am

Nope it was just garbanzos with a bit of the liquid from the can, salt, pepper, garlic and cumin! That’s it!

Green Dog Wine March 16, 2011 at 6:28 am

My goodness I just adore those silly little pupsters! :) Put my butt on Randy’s head? WELL OF COURSE! :p (SILLY PENNY!)