i love technology.

by Janetha on March 10, 2011

in meals

i don’t think i have mentioned it, but i got an iPhone right before leaving for chicago.

i had been waiting for verizon to come out with an iPhone for forever and a day. marshall had one and i always loved messing around with it. plus, i hated my droid. like.. hated. it always died, the keyboard was terrible and it was clunky.

i have been loving this phone! there are so many things to use it for. one of the reasons i wanted an iPhone was so i could take screen shots. (speaking of screen shots, has anyone looked at the website damnyouautocorrect.com? it’s a must.)

coincidentally, i had a text conversation today that is ideal for a screen shot share here on the blog. and it’s hilarious.  this is from my co-worker, ken. to give you an idea about ken.. he is from wisconsin, has been a salesman for the greater part of his life and is probably 130 lbs soaking wet. he also regularly pesters me.. as in, comes into my office and clips his toenails. not kidding. although he is a tad annoying at times, i really like ken a lot and he’s super funny. my blog is no secret around the office and i catch a lot of flack for photographing all my food. anyway, check it out.

a closer look at the tasty sandwich.. just for you. because it’s helpful.

the conversation continues..

so there you go. a sandwich that would be “great for my bloggers”.. hahah. noted.

anyway, in addition to screen shots, the iPhone is abundant in various apps. there really is an app for everything. i created a little meals & moves app/icon thing that leads directly to my blog from the home screen. isn’t it cute? i know. love the little plate and barbell.

i have been downloading different apps like a mad woman. some of my favorites are:

• list (who doesn’t love lists?! this lets you make lists within lists and cross things off. oh man, if you are list obsessed like me, you’d love this one.)
  • peggle (addicting game that has kept me up until 1 AM multiple nights)
  • words with friends (aka scrabble.. addicted.. and i am even playing with some of you guys!)
  • the moron test (it’s harder than you think)

the app i want to talk about is one i read about in the latest issue of shape magazine.

fooducate! this is an app that lets you scan any food product that has a bar code and it gives you calorie count, a letter rating (between A and F) and tells you the good and bad things about the food as well as better alternatives.

IMG_9083IMG_9081

marshall and i both downloaded the app and have been scanning fools. pretty sure we scanned the whole kitchen the other day…

IMG_9078IMG_9079IMG_9087IMG_9088

“dad, what the heck are you doing?!”

“just scanning the salsa, penny, no big deal.”

“yeah. right.”

“weirdos.”IMG_9094

it was fun to scan things. i noticed that some foods i deem healthy got less than stellar grades. i am not sure how the app decides what food gets what grade, but it is fun to scan everything, even if i don’t pay much attention to the letter grade. i think that’s the little girl in me who always wanted to be a grocery store checker.

speaking of grocery stores.. i used my new iPhone to take a photo of this mondo sweet potato at target the other day!

flipping huge. i didn’t buy this particular one, but i did buy a couple long sweet potatoes to make fries for tonight’s dinner.

mediterranean feta burgers + sweet potato & parsnip fries.

for the fries, i simply peeled and chopped the sweet potatoes and parsnips, sprayed them with cooking spray, seasoned them with TJs 21 seasoning salute and then roasted them for about 40 minutes (turning halfway through).

for the burgers, i combined 1 lb 96% lean, organic, grass-fed beef with a heaping tablespoon of minced garlic, ~1/4 cup fat free feta, salt and pepper.

after mixing the ingredients together, i formed  four 1/4 lb balls and then pressed each ball between foil. i salt & peppered each patty again once it was pressed.

IMG_9433IMG_9434IMG_9437IMG_9439

it was on the warmer side tonight, so we used the grill for the first time this year!

while marshall grilled the burgers, i got the condiments ready. lettuce, tomato, cucumber, homemade hummus and one of my favorite TJ’s products: green olive tapenade.

here’s a story: i did my grocery shopping at whole foods over the weekend and they were TOTALLY OUT of hamburger buns. what?? so strange. i had to buy these sandwich thin knock offs.. i was skeptical because i haven’t really liked sandwich thins in the past, but this was all they had at the store.

on the upside, they are ideal for burgers AND for feeding the little league…

i let my skeptical attitude go and gave these flat buns a chance. and guess what? i liked them. i think my big hangup with sandwich thins is they are a crappy replacement for bread and i was using them in place of actual bread. nothing can replace a delicious slice of thick bread.. but if we are talking about a vehicle for a burger, these work great! they taste good and they get the job done. maybe i am coming around.

anyway, i fixed my bun up with hummus on one side and tapenade on the other..

then layered on the veggies..

and topped it off with the perfectly grilled garlic feta burger.

IMG_9467IMG_9470

this was SUCH a good dinner! sometimes you just need a burger. i loved the mediterranean twist on this one.

well, i would love to stay and chat, but i  have 7 turns on words with friends.

clearly we know where my priorities lie. man, i love technology.

1. how old were you when you got your first cell phone? i was 16. it was a big ol’ nokia brick of a phone. i remember i was so excited because i could play snake during class. nowadays, you can probably purchase a snake from the pet store using your cell phone.

2. do you have a smart phone? how about a land line? it seems like land lines are a thing of the past.. pretty sure the only land line i call (aside from work) is my parents’. it’s crazy how much people rely on their cell phones—especially smart phones. you can do everything on them! technology is a trip.

Katie March 11, 2011 at 9:33 am

I love my IPHONE!!!! Im glad you got one and love it too! Please always post cute pics of the doggies, they always make my day! Happy Weekend love!!! xoxo <3

melissadishes March 11, 2011 at 9:38 am

I was 18 when I got my first cell phone, before that I had a pimp pager.

I had the Nokia brick too. I had that thing for several years.

Susan March 11, 2011 at 10:28 am

Errrm, I didn’t get a cell phone until three years ago. I know!! I was behind the times!! I actually NEVER talk on the phone. I always e-mail, Gchat (although back then it was MSN) and now text message. Right now I have an LG phone with web access, but only things like e-mail, facebook and twitter. I can’t read blogs or anything on it. I want a smartphone SO badly. But haven’t been able to justify the funds yet because I still have a working phone. I go back and forth between what kind of smart phone I’ll get. I like the iPhone best, but I don’t own any other Mac products. Apparently Motorola just came out with a really good one!

Shannon March 11, 2011 at 10:41 am

I don’t remember when I got my cell phone actually… It was after highschool, probably around 20 give or take a year… I don’t have a smart phone but I do have an iPod Touch and I live with it practically glued to my hip! I miss that I can’t get online everywhere, but one day when I can afford the monthly bill I will definitely get one! I’m so glad they are on Verizon now because I won’t go over to AT&T… We have a landline at home but I don’t use it, it’s my aunt’s. I don’t even know my mom and brother’s new phone number since they’ve moved! We only use our cell phones.

zoe March 11, 2011 at 11:20 am

nokia brick phone represent! what whaaat! haha i totally had a brick phone for my first phone, too! but i got it when i was thirteen. i was the first of my friends to have one but i only got it because i was starting high school in san francisco and my mom (worry wart alert!) wanted to be able to be in contact with me. yeah, i cannot tell you how many hours i dedicated to snake. i was super cool.

Sweet Cheeks March 11, 2011 at 11:32 am

what an awesome app!! I so wish I had an Iphone..i’m with Sprint though darnit! Your burgers look amazing. Adding feta really gives a nice pop of flavor.

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) March 11, 2011 at 11:39 am

Just DLed that fooducation app bc I happen to be getting ready to go to the store. Can’t wait to test it out. I was telling B about it, but I am def moreexcited. lol

The first time I got a cell phone… haven’t thought about that in a long time, but pretty much everyone I knew already had one (I was 18 or 19), but I didn’t have the money and my parents wouldn’t pay for one for me. So… one say I’m drving down the freeway on my way to my bf’s house and this crazy guy in a mini van starts flashing his lights at me and riding my tail for no reason that I was aware of. I changed lanes and so did he… I could tell he was cussing up a storm and he was waving his arm out the window. I had to cross 3 lanes of traffic and exit over the divider… he tried to follow me but couldn’t. My dad immidiately got me a phone…

Now I have an iPhone & love it. Sometimes I wonder how people did anything w/o them HAHA! I kid.

Nicole C March 11, 2011 at 11:42 am

I don’t remember when I got my first cell phone, I remember having a beeper/pager thing in high school. I think that I got my cell phone junior year of high school maybe. I remember the first time I drove to school my Mom was in a panic when I didn’t call her. I remember my Dad bringing home the Zack Morris phone though.

I was adamant about not getting a fancy phone until I washed my little flip phone. I wanted to wait until Verizon got the iphone to make a decision but I was forced to when mine took a swim and I got a droid x. I haven’t had a land line for 5 years, we do have a fax line for Ben’s company though.

Kate March 11, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I was 17 when I got my first cell phone – it was a H.S. graduation present. :) I do not have a land line, but my parents and in-laws do, and I’m pretty sure those are the only land lines I ever call. Well – that’s not true. We use land lines at work.

Also, words with friends is the bees knees! Best game ever!!!
Also, that sweet potato was gifreakinnormous!
Also, I love a good burger. Probably one of my favorite foods ever. I love love love feta cheese, so i may have to try out your little concoction sometime. And for the record – I love sandwich thins on burgers!! More burgery deliciousness, less bun. :)
Also, I made the couscous chickpea salad last night – and it was so so yummy! I sprinkled feta on top (and left the chicken out) and had it as a side dish at a party. Yumm!! I loved it!! Thanks for always having awesome recipes.

Also, you are totally inspiring, and I have loved “getting to know you” through your blog. Thanks for letting us in to your life. :)

janetha March 11, 2011 at 12:06 pm

you are awesome, kate. haha. i loved that comment so much.

cbrady3 March 11, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Cool app!
I got my first phone when I was 14. My parents said not until 16 but then got nervous when we’d be at the movies alone or something.
And I have a droid eris right now and i HATE IT. I would like a droid if it was a higher quality one, but the eris blows.

Candi March 11, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I was 21 when I got my first cell phone. That’s like, ancient!
I didn’t have a smart phone until January of this year – when I finally gave up, switched to AT&T, and got an iphone. I LOVE IT.

Wanna hear a funny story? We do have a landline. The guy came out and set it up and everything. …. But we never purchased a phone. We have a landline but no phone. I don’t even know what our house phone number is!!! Is that bad?

janetha March 11, 2011 at 12:54 pm

that’s amazing.

Michelle March 11, 2011 at 12:33 pm

I’ve had an iPhone for a few years now and I love it. It can do so many amazing things! The only land line I use these days is my work line. And very few people I know have land lines. You know what else I’ve realized about cell phones? I don’t memorize anyones numbers anymore. When I was a teenager I could tell you all my friends number in an instant, now I have to look everyone up (or maybe I’m just forgetting because I’m getting older, and I blame it on the cell phone, haha)!

Rose March 11, 2011 at 1:13 pm

That sweet potato is HILARIOUS and just redonk.

julie March 11, 2011 at 2:45 pm

that is the BIGGEST sweet potato i ever saw man! you could probably produce feed an entire army sweet potato fries with that honker

Sarah March 11, 2011 at 3:44 pm

oh so funny! i’m catching up on blogs right now and saw that my post this morning really fit in with this one. i totally want to try fooducate! downloading it right now. :)

i got my first cell phone when i was 16 too – as soon as i could drive my parents were convinced to allow me to buy a phone. it was a nokia brick too. and the only land line i have is at work, but i always give out my cell number too so i hardly ever use the land line at all.

Kristen March 11, 2011 at 7:39 pm

holy moly sweet potato! THat would feed me for a week! haha
And I would LOVE to have an iphone!

simplyshaka March 11, 2011 at 9:21 pm

I so want to cross over to the dark side of iPhone but am trying to hold off for now. But I definitely see it happening with my next upgrade. It’s about time Verizon!!

Mary (A Merry Life) March 12, 2011 at 12:11 am

I love that you have an iphone now. Screenshots are awesome!

I have an iphone and I loooove it. We have a landline here at Kepa’s, but it’s weird for me. I’m not used to it because in the US I hadn’t had a landline for years.

steph phom March 12, 2011 at 7:20 am

yay!! you got an iphone?? i love mine!! i need to play words with friends with you. and i’ve gotta download that food scanning app. thanks j!

Annabel @ www.FeedMeImCranky.com March 12, 2011 at 8:20 am

i love the fooducate blog. if i had an iphone, their app would be the first one i’d get! :)

carlee March 12, 2011 at 8:34 am

I actually downloaded fooducate a couple of weeks ago but unfortunately my iphone is too old to scan, i have to manually enter in the upc :(

Kelly Olexa March 12, 2011 at 4:09 pm

This is so funny. You just got your iPhone before coming to Chicago and I just got my iPhone and I’m from Chicago! Too funny. I actually never wanted one and I made fun of iPhone “snobs” but now I’m like holy cow….realizing the whole new world I have in my hands!

Stephanie @cookinfanatic March 12, 2011 at 6:13 pm

That is such a wonderful burger recipe, and how have I never seen that olive tapenade at TJ’s before?!?! Yum, looks so good together! :)

Cole March 16, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Welcome to the world of Iphone! I love love my iphone, and the fooducate app, I totally scanned my whole kitchen the first week.