odds + ends.

by Janetha on March 6, 2011

in meals,moves

sunday night is always a good time for an odds + ends post. i usually have a few things on my camera card and some things i did that i never managed to work into a post, but i still want to show + tell!

image_thumb2

as i mentioned earlier, marshall & i went to the gym together today. i had cardio on the agenda. marshall wanted to lift, so we went our separate ways. i typically do 30 minutes (or less!) of cardio when i go to the gym. because he was lifting, i was there for a whole hour. that’s like torture, people. i don’t do long cardio sessions.. ever.

but today, i did.

escalating + intense intervals on treadmill:

minute # speed (MPH)
21:30-22 8.0
22-22:30 8.5
22:30-23:30 9.0
23:30-24:30 9.5
24:30-25:45 10.0
25:45-27 2.0 (cool down)

i went a total of 3.15 miles. i sped up there at the end because i wanted to see how quick i could get a 5k (3.1 miles) in. i hit 3.1 miles/5k at 25:45 and then cooled down for the remaining .05 miles. glad i can still run quick if i try.. i am going to try for a quicker time next time i run.

marshall was still lifting, so i finished up with 25 minutes at level 15 on the elliptical.. it was on the random setting so i didn’t really have to think about it. i don’t really love the elliptical i decided. kinda boring and i don’t like how my feet don’t leave the machine. on the up side, i was able to read a magazine whilst ellipticizing.

image_thumb11

today was pancake sunday! i made maple cinnamon protein pancakes.

to make these, i whipped up my favorite protein pancake recipe and simply swapped the vanilla extract out for maple extract.  i also amped up the amount of cinnamon.

to intensify the maple theme, i topped my pancakes with mighty maple peanut butter and sugar free syrup. there are two sugar free things i like: syrup and ketchup. i am OK with this.

in other news, marshall and the dogs took a nap on the spare bedroom floor on saturday.

whatever.

hmm, what else?

oh, yeah! my fellow foodie friend ashley over at the edible perspective gave us some photography homework this weekend. do you read ashley’s blog? if you don’t, you should. not only is she cute, witty, amusing and fun.. her photos are unbelievable and she will tell you how you can get yours to be, too. in her latest photography 101 post, she taught us all about shooting with the natural light coming in at different angles.

the homework was to shoot an object from various perspectives and see how the light changes the photo. here is what i came up with.

side (left) light aerial:

back light aerial:

front light aerial:

do you see the difference in the three? now, from an angle.. the difference is more obvious in these three.

side (left) light angle:

back light angle:IMG_9240

front light angle:

you can see that just by changing the position of my body changes the total look of the photo. my favorite aerial shot is the back light and my favorite angle shot is the side light. weee.. photography is fun!

we went to the movies tonight. we saw ringo. i thought it was super cute and i didn’t fall asleep during the movie. that’s always a good sign. we didn’t eat dinner before the movie, so i accidentally ate half a bucket of popcorn at the movie.

image_thumb11

we got home around 9:30 and needed a descent meal. i made something super quick and easy using some leftovers in the fridge. it actually turned out to be one of the best casseroles i have made to date!

• 3.5 oz whole wheat macaroni noodles (cooked)
  • ~1 cup leftover browned ground turkey + onions (from our spaghetti on saturday night)
  • ~1.5 cups leftover spaghetti squash
  • 1 cup cottage cheese
  • 1 t. dried basil
  • 1 t. dried oregano
  • 1/2 t. garlic powder
  • fresh ground salt + pepper
  • enough shredded parmesan cheese for sprinkling

i simply combined all of the above ingredients except the cottage cheese & parmesan in a large pot and warmed through. i added the cottage cheese, mixed well and poured it all into a 9×9 baking dish. i topped it with the parmesan and baked for about 15 minutes. i broiled some garlic bread at the tail end of the baking process (yay, double oven!) and i also nuked some leftover asparagus.

dinner was served:

this was SO good. like.. so good! marshall is eating seconds right now. i love re-creating leftovers. i think i will call this “lasagna casserole” because the cottage cheese in there reminds me of lasagna.

OH. i asked marshall to pick a number between 1 and 213. he picked #119 which means the the winner of the uncle sam cereal is:

congrats, monaleah, send me your address using the contact form in my header and i will get your cereal shipped out. thanks to everyone who entered!

one more thing before i go..

you all must know something VERY, VERY important.

monday, march 7th, is NATIONAL CEREAL DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yippee!! cereal just so happens to be MY FAVORITE FOOD.

make sure you celebrate accordingly!

time for bed. hope you enjoyed my randomness!

Qs

1. on a scale from 1 to 10, how interested are you in photography?

2. in honor of national CEREAL DAY on monday.. what is your favorite kind?

Mary (A Merry Life) March 6, 2011 at 10:52 pm

1. Maybe a 6. I’m sorta interested in photography but haven’t done much to improve my skills. I think the lack of light in my current house has made my interest drop. I just don’t care half the time.

2. My favorite kind ever is peanut butter captain crunch. I absolutely adore that cereal. But I actually love almost all cereals because I LOVE CEREAL. That’s a good food holiday.

teague March 6, 2011 at 11:18 pm

I live in Australia at the moment so my favourite packaged cereal is weet-bix! delicious drizzled with honey. But I really just like to make my own muesli and eat that. Ps. I totally agree on the “only a splash of milk” theory. NOTHING worse than soggy cereal.

Averie March 6, 2011 at 11:18 pm

On iPhone but I did the homework too.

Photography is now a ten for me!!! I read everything I can and take pics nonstop :)

Mackenzie March 6, 2011 at 11:19 pm

My all time favorite cereal is the regular GoLean Crunch! It used to be Ohhh’s, but now I like protein and fiber with my carbs! :)

purplebirdblog March 6, 2011 at 11:36 pm

I took a bunch of photography in high school and college, and then I got away from it, and now my interest is re-piqued with the blog… I’d say probably a 8!

My favorite cereal as of late is Peanut Butter Puffins. And Love Crunch… glooooorious Love Crunch!

Erica March 7, 2011 at 2:37 am

I love a good mish mash post :). That picture of Marshall sleeping with the puppers on the floor is awesome :) Love when the pup is super snuggly. I need to work on my photography badddddd. Your pancakes look fantastic. And I want casserole now.

1. on a scale from 1 to 10, how interested are you in photography? 7

2. in honor of national CEREAL DAY on monday.. what is your favorite kind? owww….tough one. When I was younger, it was Captain Crunch. College it was shredded mini wheats. Now? probably puffns

MelissaNibbles March 7, 2011 at 2:53 am

I want to see Gringo, but I think it’s one of those I’ll wait to come out on dvd for. I fall asleep in the movies too!
I’m not all that interested in photography….or cereal. When is national Greek yogurt day? I like that.

1970kikiproject March 7, 2011 at 3:20 am

it’s great when you can go to the gym with your partner, but then each do your own thing when you’re there – together time, but individual time, too!
national cereal day?! count me in!! thanks for the FYI! for me, it’s more like what cereal DON’T i like!! i could never choose…like choosing a favourite from your 100 children! :) i’ll participate for sure!
happy monday! (oxymoron?!!)

lindsay March 7, 2011 at 4:38 am

ahh, I was hoping to see a bald marshall!! I mean buzzed. hehe. Before and after shots maybe? YOu can practice your photo natural lighting off the glare from his head now!
;)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine March 7, 2011 at 5:46 am

WAIT….it’s cereal day and I didn’t eat any for breakfast?!!!!!! Holy crap I want to cry. That’s so sad!! Maybe I’ll have to buy some cinnamon toast crunch for a snack to remedy this horrible situation…

coffeeandthepaper March 7, 2011 at 5:49 am

1. More and more the longer I blog…but right now maybe a 6? I don’t think I’ll be shelling out for a dslr any time soon, but I love my baby point and shoot!

2. This is the equivalent of your birthday! I hope you have balloons and a party hat ready. My favorite cereals are shredded wheat and weetabix. I life kamut puffs, puffins, and smart bran as well ; )

PS – Tuesday is Shrove Tuesday! Pancakes round two?

Lauren March 7, 2011 at 5:54 am

Hooray!! For National Cereal Day!!! Finally a holiday that supports my addiction!! :) Oh my, I don’t think I could pick a favorite cereal. When I was little, it used to be Cinnamon Toast Crunch, now it’s probably the organic version of Cinnamon Toast Crunch. LoL

Kristin March 7, 2011 at 5:56 am

I love odds & ends posts!

I am really interested in photography. Probably an 8. Because I am still more interested in food, but am also really interested in taking photos of my food :D

and I LOVE granola. of all kinds. i consider it a cereal :D and puffins are pretty delicious, too.

xo

withasideofhope March 7, 2011 at 5:57 am

I love that it’s National Cereal Day! I usually mix a couple of different cereals together and eat it for breakfast. My favorite cereal would most definitely have to be Kashi Go Lean Berry Crisp! I seriously eat it every single day. It’s so good! :)

carolinebee March 7, 2011 at 6:15 am

Have u tried the new GoLean Crisp?? OMG it is like, dangerously good :D

Heather March 7, 2011 at 6:17 am

I’m interested in photograhy at like an 8, but it’s so frustrating and hard to learn!!!!!!!!!!!
I celebrated this morning with a mix of Kashi Go Lean Crunch (my fav!), Kashi heart to Heart, and Kashi Honey Sunshine………haha, can you tell my favorite brand??

scatterbrainjane March 7, 2011 at 6:32 am

I just got a new canon camera for christmas and still don’t know how to use it – I need to get on that! My favorite cereal is Quaker Oatmeal squares AND puffins! YUMMMM

rebecca lustig March 7, 2011 at 7:20 am

Although I find myself interested in photography, I’m not very talented… like at all. SOmetimes I pretend I am though, A for effort no? lol

Favorite cereal? that’s soo hard bc I like mixing cereals. I can never just have one type at a time ha

Michelle March 7, 2011 at 7:48 am

For the longest time I wasn’t really into photography, but lately I’ve really started to enjoy it. So, I’d say I’m about a 5 or 6 on the scale. It is quite fun to see what one can do with a simple change of angle and lighting!

My favorite cereal? Hmmm, probably Kashi GoLean Crisp with the berries. I can go through an entire box in a couple days so I rarely buy it. But for national cereal day, I can probably make an exception!

Holly at Greek Yogurt and Apple Slices March 7, 2011 at 8:00 am

National Cereal Day! Woohoo! I already started my morning out right- with some good ol’ berry berry kix- love that cereal :)
I still haven’t been able to find the might maple pb&co peanut butter yet- they have every other flavor..but not that one :( My hunt is NOT over though!
Hope you enjoy your favorite food day today!!

movesnmunchies March 7, 2011 at 8:08 am

nice workout!!! hmm 1-10 it wouldbe a 5.. im not so into it but i dnt hate it!! i dnt like cereal- it hurts my stomach!

Ashley @ 365 things March 7, 2011 at 8:34 am

On my scale, I’d say about a 2.

Cereal is a separate foodgroup by the way. My fave is Barbara puffins. I actually just posted about eating 1/3 box of the new cinnamon cheerios in one day. It happened 3 days in a row actually, but I only admited to one of those. Those cheerios had me by the…nm.

fittingbackin March 7, 2011 at 8:56 am

Your casserole looks great and I LOVE your runs – so smart!

1. on a scale from 1 to 10, how interested are you in photography? 10 – LOVE IT. Wish I was better as much as I love to document!

2. in honor of national CEREAL DAY on monday.. what is your favorite kind? Honey nut cheerios – i’m old school!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather March 7, 2011 at 9:52 am

I celebrated national cereal day without even knowing it! Puffed amaranth with hemp seed and banana made a quick and tasty breakfast.
I forgot about the photography assignment. Bad me. It’s so cool seeing the differences. Ashley is a total genious, so much to learn!

lowandbhold March 7, 2011 at 9:55 am

I used to be super interested in photography back in college but I’ve since lost interest. I still want to be good at it for the blog and all, but I can’t buckle down and make myself learn. Plus, I really need to get a different lens for my Nikon DSLR in order to do proper food photography and that’s not yet in the budget.
I love cereal but I don’t have any at home to celebrate with! Bummer.
The casserole looks super yummy. I love lasagna-like food.

Stephanie March 7, 2011 at 10:16 am

My favorite cereal is Peanut Butter Puffins! It’s like Cap ‘N Crunch for grown ups! Mmm. However, this morning I celebrated cereal day with some Kashi Go Lean. I think I’ll have my Puffins for a snack later. : )

Stephanie March 7, 2011 at 10:49 am

I am VERY interested in photography. I love self-teaching myself things and photography is definitely something I do alone. I would love love love to take a class, though because I get frustrated so easily with my camera.

Crazy that it’s cereal day. I grabbed some shredded wheat today (which I love) which is out of the norm for me because I usually do a smoothie or fresh fruit and toast. :)

Sable @ Squat Like a Lady March 7, 2011 at 10:52 am

I LOVE chocolate and peanut butter leapin’ leemurs…and peanut butter puffins! Although I heard that there is soon to be a PB & chocolate Puffins…and I will be camping out in front of my local grocery store until it arrives. ;)

Freckled Foodie March 7, 2011 at 11:07 am

i wish i had more time to focus on photography. with school, work, and sports right now i don’t tihnk i could fit another hobby in!

faveee cereal = nature’s path pumpkin seed & flax! i think that’s what its called anyway? another fave = kashi honeysunshine, maple oatmeal squares, or banana cheerios!

xo.

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun March 7, 2011 at 11:09 am

I wish I had a little more interest in photography. It likely shows in my lackluster shots. LOL

And you killed that treadmill run. Wow!!

Salah March 7, 2011 at 11:10 am

Dang! Thats an awesome treadmill workout girl!! I need to get a camera before I can improve my photography skills lol. One day….one day

Rose March 7, 2011 at 11:20 am

1. on a scale from 1 to 10, how interested are you in photography?

I loooooove taking pictures, but how well I take them doesn’t matter nearly as much as having them.

2. in honor of national CEREAL DAY on monday.. what is your favorite kind?

Frosted mini wheats. Even when I could have dairy, I hated milk in my cereal. Frosted mini wheats are great because they’re very easy to eat as finger food.

Mama Pea March 7, 2011 at 11:55 am

Love that Ashley girl. Let’s arrange for another trip to SF so she can teach us more!!!

Bess March 7, 2011 at 11:56 am

Honey Bunches of Oats with a LOT of skim milk…eating a huge bowl now…love national cereal day!

cbrady3 March 7, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I’m totally interested in photography, but I don’t have the money for a good camera right now! I think pretty pictures make a huge difference in blog posts, and yours are great!

My favorite cereal ever? Probably cinnamon toast crunch. But for now I eat Kashi Go Lean!

jess March 7, 2011 at 2:59 pm

hey janetha! i never really comment (mostly out of laziness) but i just wanted to say that your blog is one of my absolute favorites :) it’s so unique, as are you, and i love all your pictures, recipes, stories, etc.

happpyy national cereal day ;) i’d have to go withhhh.. cinnamon toast crunch (wow that took me a long time to choose. loves me some cereal)

katshealthcorner March 7, 2011 at 3:33 pm

I adore taking pictures!!! I would say an 8. :)

YAY for cereal!!! My favorites would be Cheerios, Shredded Wheat, and Oatmeal. :D

Happy National Cereal Day! :D

xoxox
Kathleen

Runeatrepeat March 7, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Is 10 most interested in photography? If so, I’m 10.

Ellie March 7, 2011 at 4:11 pm

how interesting that you post this Janetha! For the past several months, I’ve been very interested in photography! It’s so fun and versatile~And even more now, b/c I just got a canon 20d eos yesterday! heheehe I got it used and only for $300. Those go up to $1400. Sorry just had to post price b/c I feel so blessed that I was able to find that :P I like that frontal aerial photo! I hope to improve and learn a lot as well :)

Ellie March 7, 2011 at 4:11 pm

oh whooops! I meant the front angle one :D

Shannon G. March 7, 2011 at 4:31 pm

I’d say photography is an 8 or 9 for me. I love taking photographs, but I would like to learn how to take better ones. I’ve gotten pretty good at close up floral pictures which my dad used to do a lot.

I’m not a huge cereal person but I really like Multi Grain Cheerios and when I am not worried about health and need pure sugar, I really like frosted flakes which I don’t keep in the house period, but when I’m at my mom’s place, they are there! So I tell her to hide them from me or I’ll eat the whole box!

cardiopizza March 7, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I pretty much celebrate cereal every day :) My favorite cereal right now are Peanut Butter Bumpers…..soooo goood!

That casserole looks great! Cottage cheese tastes surprisingly good in pastas!

Kelly March 7, 2011 at 5:31 pm

My favorite cereal of all time would probably be honey nut cheerios. I haven’t had them in years but whenever I think about my childhood I think of that cereal.

janetha March 7, 2011 at 9:48 pm

That’s my favorite too!!! Old school :)

Courtney Moore March 7, 2011 at 5:42 pm

today is national cereal day! what! cereal for dessert, fugg yes!!

Jenny March 7, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Love the pancakes!! :D

BroccoliHut March 7, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I would rate my interest in photography as an 8…yet I have still never taken a photography class.
My all time fave cereal is GoLean!

Errign March 7, 2011 at 7:33 pm

I am also not a big elliptical fan either, but honestly didn’t know why until you just mentioned your feet not leaving the machine – that’s TOTALLY it.

My fave cereal is the boring but classic Cheerios. Love ’em!

livinlifeinlouie March 8, 2011 at 6:50 am

awesome job on your run! and I agree, ellptical=boring

Recently for cereal I have been adding kashi original with total (then I add banana, chocolate protein powder, PB, and milk) its a HUGE bowl and VERY delicious