hot pocket.

by Janetha on February 28, 2011

in meals,moves

YO! another monday down in the books.

how was your monday? mine consisted of meetings from 7 AM to 11 AM. i am not exaggerating! luckily, one of those meetings was held at the original pancake house.. if you are a long-time reader, you know i go there every monday for a meeting.

image_thumb11

i got my usual egg whites + oatmeal.. i got a little wild today and threw some bananas on top.

lunch came in the form of leftovers. i have eaten leftovers for lunch every work day for the whole month of february, aside from one day when marshall brought me lunch. that is why you haven’t really seen a lot of breakfasts & lunches. they are booo-ring.

minestrone soup + a whole wheat roll.

soup is always better the second time around. something about flavors melding. i am going to track down momma b’s minestrone soup recipe and post it sometime or another. promise.

because i am on a roll, i may as well show you my snack.

greek yogurt + mighty maple peanut butter + nature’s path ancient grains granola.

after work it was straight home to pound out a workout before sitting on the couch, because i know i wouldn’t have got up. i was beat!

image_thumb2

i have been hooked on the bodyrock.tv workouts lately. if i am not doing HIIT at the gym, i am doing these workouts in my spare bedroom!

i started with zuzana’s standard warmup, then i did the trainer who shagged me workout.

HOLY. COW.

it was a 300 rep workout where you time yourself and then when you revisit it, you try to do it faster. you can find the outline of the workout on the bodyrock.tv website. it requires NO equipment, which i love!

i did the whole workout in 26:08.

and then i died.

i came back to life to make dinner.

image_thumb11

HOT POCKETS!

wait. no. not those kind. i made my own.

i used to LOVE hot pockets and would eat them almost every day after school. my two favorite kinds were the broccoli, chicken & cheddar and the pepperoni pizza. i decided to make a healthier version for dinner tonight.

first, i sautéed some bell pepper & onion and sliced some olives.

IMG_8918IMG_8920

oh.. and i finally found a reason to use this spice from my spice rack! ha.

i heated a pita pocket for 12 seconds in the microwave. no more, no less. then, I sliced off the tip. (TWSS.)

ready to be stuffed! (TWSS again)IMG_8925

marshall & i filled our pitas with pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, the pepper+ onion mix and black olives. i put turkey pepperoni in mine.. but marshall called me out and said that turkey pepperoni is really processed. we are trying to eat less processed foods these days. however, making our own hot pockets at home is a whole hell of a lot better than eating the frozen version, which is absurdly processed. eh.. pick your battles?

i put the pockets on a baking sheet and then baked them at 375 for about 5-7 minutes, just until the cheese was melty on the inside. then, i took them out of the oven and topped them with more sauce and cheese, then put them back in to broil until the cheese was melted on top.

sounds like a process, but it was super easy.

we ate our hot pockets with salad.

i promise you one thing: this was WAY better than the “real” hot pockets. if that’s what you want to refer to them as. however, these were way more real.

and way delicious.

marshall even had two.

these were SO easy and i am already dreaming up other variations of hot pockets. because we are trying to cut out the processed foods, i want to make my own dough from scratch sometime soon. however, the whole wheat pitas i used are great in a pinch. i bought them at sunflower market and they don’t have any crap in them.

*by the way*

for those who have asked, i haven’t forgotten about the 30 day challenge. i just have a lot of things to blog about and would rather save those topics for days that i have nothing to say. this post is already SO long as it is, no need to make it even longer with a topic from the list. plus i have a killer paper cut on my right index finger and typing is a real pain. literally. i will eventually complete all 30 topics. slowly but surely!

well, i have to go bake something. tomorrow happens to be national peanut butter lovers day and it wouldn’t be right to not take something to the office in celebration of this glorious holiday.

also, i will have a recipe for peanut butter chocolate protein cereal tomorrow, so stay tuned. i made it tonight and it’s already almost gone…

1. what frozen foods would you want to make yourself? this is a challenge i take on often. sometimes, when i need dinner inspiration, i will walk down the frozen dinner aisle to see what i can make myself.

2. do you work out at home or at the gym? i used to be a gym rat, but thanks to bodyrock.tv i have been working out at home more and more lately.

Stephanie March 1, 2011 at 1:39 pm

These are perfect for family *pizza night* because we can all do our own thang.

Kelly March 1, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I want a waffle iron so I can make my own frozen waffles. Have you seen the Jim Gaffigan bit about hot pockets? You should Google it if you haven’t. It’s so hilarious!

OliePants March 1, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I was walking by the grocery store and I saw a box of Hot Pockets. I will be lying if I said I wasn’t tempted! This is a recipe I can totally get behind! :)

biz319 March 1, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Janetha – just make my no rise pizza dough – 2 cups flour, 1 cup warm tap water, 1 package yeast and 1 teaspoon salt. Mix and you are ready to go – use half for your two calzones, put the rest in the fridge for up to two weeks – no need to rise, although I do prefer the one that’s been in the fridge better – something about the yeast doing its magic, but its quick enough on a week night! :D

janetha March 1, 2011 at 3:16 pm

wow! is it really just that easy? i need to try this.

julie March 1, 2011 at 3:14 pm

hahahaha okay so long story short but when i was in college they used to have recently released from jail guys work in our cafeteria through the food company aramark (i guess they supported work transition programs with jails) but anyways at the end of every semester our cafeteria wouldn’t buy food because they had to use what was left so the “sandwhich guy” would make what he would call “HOOD pockets” hahaha get it…because we were in newark and he was from ‘the hood’ hahahaha anyways they were just grilled wraps with whatever you wanted in them but he would scream out “get cha hood pockets while they’re hot”

hahahhahaha i’ll never forget it

also get mama b’s minestrone soup recipe or else.

janetha March 1, 2011 at 3:17 pm

that is amazing. hood pockets. make some and blog about it, please.

Katie March 1, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Your hot pockets are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I used to eat those a lot as a child, my fave was the ham and cheese ones! U know whats good is toaster strudels, I would like those made healthier for a breakfast treat!

Love u! Hope your week is good! xoxo

Melissa @ Chocolate & Kisses March 1, 2011 at 5:53 pm

That’s great! Of course, why not make your own hot pocket but you control what’s in it. You are fabulous. Love reading your posts! If I was to make a frozen meal…hrm. I would say that the only thing I tend to eat that would be frozen is pizza, so maybe I should make it fresh more.

I have a small bedroom that I turned into my gym since its just me and the man. There is a treadmill, elliptical, weights, bosu, and tons of work out dvds to choose from. It’s my own lil private place. The man knows to stay away when the door is closed!

Paige is Running Around Normal March 1, 2011 at 7:22 pm

That workout sounds killller!
And those hot pocket sound SO much better than the frozen variety.
I.e. Directions: : ‘Remove from box, place directly in toilet.’

KaraHadley March 1, 2011 at 7:41 pm

I used to LOVE Hot Pockets. I would always eat the very top off then eat the filling with a fork before savoring the crust. It used to gross some people out, but for me there was no other way to do it.

Pure2raw twins March 1, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Bodyrock is the best, so glad you have been enjoying the workouts too!!! :) yay

Michelle March 2, 2011 at 11:02 am

This is my second comment for this post but I saw this recipe and thought of you:

Let me know if you make them!

janetha March 2, 2011 at 12:59 pm

thanks!

kissmybroccoli March 4, 2011 at 8:25 am

I buy those same pita pockets! They are so tasty! I work out at home, usually with Jackie Warner’s TST DVD (thanks for the review, by the way) or a made up routine, but I definitely want to try one of Zuzana’s routines! She is a hot mama!

Love making my own homemade pizzas! So much better than frozen!

Holly at Greek Yogurt and Apple Slices March 4, 2011 at 10:53 am

THANK YOU for an awesome dinner idea for this upcoming week :)