the best thing i ever ate.

by Janetha on February 24, 2011

in meals

is that title going too far? you may think so.. but i honestly think that last sunday’s brunch was in fact one of the best, if not the very best, things i have EVER consumed.

last sunday i was in chicago. remember? yep.

someone told me i had to go to the bongo room for breakfast. who told me to do that? i want to send you a thank you card. no, seriously, THANK YOU.

kristen and i were on our own on sunday, so we had big plans to go to the field museum since we struck out the day before. there was a bongo room conveniently located right by the museum, so we made plans to eat there for brunch.

the hour wait was rough, especially because we were starving, but i was sure the wait would be worth it. boy, was i right.

because we were both in the mood for sweet AND savory, we decided to order two dishes to split.

first, the savory: sweet potato black bean burrito. spinach tortilla stuffed with pureed black beans, pureed sweet potato, guacamole & scrambled eggs. topped with jack cheese. served with ancho chile sour cream, tomatillo salsa and hash browns.IMG_8570

hello, amazing.

cross section shot.

with every bite i took, i kept saying how well all the ingredients worked together. the beans. the sweet potatoes. the guac. oh.. the guac! this was the BEST breakfast burrito i have ever eaten. and i have eaten a LOT of breakfast burritos, folks. this one is the winner of them all. it was pure culinary genius in a tortilla.

and now, for the sweet. oh, the sweet. IMG_8572

that, my friends, is heaven on a plate.

on special, JUST FOR US (i am convinced)—brown sugar brioche grench toast with warm vanilla bean crème, butter & brown sugar caramelized bartlett pears & dried cherries topped with oatmeal crisp.  (side note, the one below the one we got—the white chocolate pretzel pancakes? those sound amazing as well!)

UM. yeah, you can drool!

wow. just wow. words can’t describe how this tasted.

so, moral of the story? fly to chicago, go to the bongo room and INSIST they make you these two dishes. even if you don’t have someone to share with—you will want to eat them both for yourself. they are both so amazing!

whew.. ok.. now onto the field museum.. home of the most complete T rex skeleton to date! pretty cool, eh?

roar. that’s my dino face.

the field museum was pretty rad! tons of interesting history and artifacts. and elephants.

my favorite part of the field museum was the dinosaur exhibit. i had never seen dinosaur bones in real life. all the displays were at least 90% all real dinosaur bones (the rest being made up of casts to make the skeletons complete).

check out this giant wooly mammoth! he was a big guy!

after the museum, kristen and i did some more shopping. there was a 4 story crate & barrel! of course we went in and i snagged a few fun items. we also got danny & derrick some things for their apartment as a late house warming gift.

since it was our last night, we decided to go out to a nice restaurant and have a farewell dinner. it was pouring down rain, but that didn’t stop us from making the journey to tango sur.

this BYOB argentine steakhouse came highly recommended by kristen’s friend. the whole restaurant was very dark and we dined by candle light. the atmosphere was fun and fancy. i really liked it!

we started with the antipasto platter to share.

IMG_8611IMG_8613

there was also some delicious bread and a pretty boring salad (just lettuce, onion & tomato).

for my entrée, i ordered the filet mignon which came with the most flavorful, delicious spinach mashed potatoes.IMG_8620

although they look like a pile of mush.. those potatoes were basically a green pillow of heaven. everyone at the table agreed. so dang good!

great last dinner in chicago!

we went back to the apartment and talked about high school and ate vanilla bean ice cream straight from the container. it was the best.

1. what is the best thing you ever ate? i know. that’s a hard question. answer if you can.

2. what is your favorite way to eat potatoes? so many ways.. roasted, french fried, mashed, scalloped, baked.. ahh.. the possibilities are endless. i think my favorite is roasted.

Christina February 24, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Wow everything looks so yummy! I know you guys had a blast out there. I love museums and stuff, I was planning on going to the MOMA soon out here in NY so we’ll see what happens :)

fittingbackin February 24, 2011 at 1:34 pm

now i’m dying to find a variation of that b-fast burrito online! The ingredients really sound amazing – love the idea of guac in your b-fast meal!

Erica D February 24, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Omigosh, I don’t know! Probably either a dessert crepe in Paris or my local cafe’s Banana Stuffed French Toast. I would be alllll over that sweet menu!!

Coincidentally, I prefer sweet potatoes :)

cbrady3 February 24, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Wow. Those look like perhaps the best breakfast dishes I’ve ever seen. Recreate that burrito and put the recipe on the blog, mmK?

And I prefer roasted sweet potatoes. Always.

Cait February 24, 2011 at 2:54 pm

just came across your blog and i love it :) so cute! and ahhhh i live in chicago too! how fun! those look seriously AMAZING breakfast dishes and i don’t even like breakfast :) great post girl!

Eden February 24, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I’m licking my screen!
I don’t exactly know what the BEST thing I ever ate was. I’ be eaten lots of good things and the things that stick out usually involve good company that was at the meal.

And as far as potatoes are concerned, I like them any which way. But I’m a liitle partial to anything fried :)

julie February 24, 2011 at 5:11 pm

gahhh i went to the bongo room when i was in chi and it was AMAZING!! and seriously it had one of the best cups of coffee ever hahahaha i know i mean the food was equally as fresh and delicious and SO worth the 2 hour wait haha

Christin@purplebirdblog February 24, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Holy BALLS. That breakfast burrito sounds like magical unicorn happysh*t!!! :D

1970kikiproject February 24, 2011 at 7:55 pm

i’m with eden (above) – i can’t pick the best thing ever eaten, but i remember outings with favourite people, special occasions!
what a great sunday in chicago! thanks for the recap!

simplyshaka February 24, 2011 at 7:56 pm

I’m not too big into sweet breakfasts but that looks divine. I think I would have to lick the plate!

momma b February 24, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Oh my holy yum….those dishes have my taste buds running!!

You sure ate some incredible food :)

xo

Elise February 25, 2011 at 12:07 am

you went to my favorite restaurant in all of chicago! i’m so glad you LOVED tango sur — byob with amazing, totally authentic argentine food (i’ve talked to all the waiters and the owners — and its an argentine family run business, and any steaks ordered off the center pamphlet is the grass fed steak flown in from argentina. sorry about that — i just got WAY too excited about this :)

moral: glad you enjoyed it.

Kailey (SnackFace) February 25, 2011 at 1:48 pm

EFFING STOP IT!!! I am at work and have been eating store-bought sushi and day-old cookies all day, and what I NEED is a meal like your best meal ever. Yowza! My god that’s beautiful.

ANYWAY, I am wearing the nail polish you so sweetly sent me last year! I think of you every time I wear it. Isn’t that funny/awesome?

Shooo, best meal ever…Easily the thin pizza I had in Italia! I ate the whole thing and it was wheel-sized. The tomatoes there are completely different, I swear. The sauce was almost pink!

Regarding potatoes, I love them all ways. White ones, too. They’re so wholesome!

Miss you, love you, have a faaaab weekend! xoxoxo