hey guys! i want to welcome those of you who came over from carrots’n’cake. thanks for coming! hope you stay awhile. it’s fun over here. promise. i am actually in chicago right now, so my regular posting schedule is all out of whack, but i assure you things will be back to normal soon. while you are waiting for me to get back into town, feel free to check out my about page to see what this little blog is all about.
today is actually my last day in chicago. sad to go, but excited to get home to see marshall & the pups.
i have a video for you today! it is basically a post for you to hear how i sound when i speak. you know, dialects, accents, all that.
basically, i rattle off a list of words in the first part. in the second part, i answer some random questions to give you an idea of terms i use for different things.
here are the words:
Aunt, Route, Wash, Oil, Theater, Iron, Salmon, Caramel, Fire, Water, Sure, Data, Ruin, Crayon, Toilet, New Orleans, Pecan, Both, Again, Probably, Spitting image, Alabama, Lawyer, Coupon, Mayonnaise, Syrup, Pajamas, Caught
and here are the questions:
- What is it called when you throw toilet paper on a house?
- What is the bug that when you touch it, it curls into a ball?
- What is the bubbly carbonated drink called?
- What do you call gym shoes?
- What do you say to address a group of people?
- What do you call the kind of spider that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs?
- What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket?
- What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining?
- What is the thing you change the TV channel with?
well. that was fantastic. i am a goon.
i think the whole concept of accents are crazy. for instance: when i lived in london, i loved all the british accents i was surrounded by.. and my british friends loved my american accent. i always tried to fathom how an “american accent” sounded to THEIR ears.. but it’s just to hard to imagine that. and, in turn, it’s so hard to think of their british accents the way they hear them: no accent at all.
wow, did i lose you there? i think i lost myself. i hope you get what i was trying to say. if not, disregard and just answer my questions.
see you tomorrow! hope your monday is all you hoped for and more!
1. what words on the list do you pronounce differently than me?
2. what is your favorite accent (to listen to)? i love scandinavian accents.
xo. janetha g.