back to meals & moves.

by Janetha on February 13, 2011

in meals,moves

hey everyone! hope your weekend is going great.

because i recapped my trip all last week, i haven’t been taking photos of my daily life lately. to be honest, it has been pretty strange to not carry a camera with me everywhere i go or to remember the details of each and every workout. sure, it has been nice, but overall, i have missed blogging about my daily meals & moves.

i hope i remember how to blog! here we go.

let’s talk about yesterday.

image_thumb11

breakfast.

first things first: whole pot of fresh press.

i told myself ALL week that i would make time to make protein pancakes on saturday. when saturday rolled around, i realized that i had used my last egg while making marshall ice cream friday night (i am a good wife.

i couldn’t shake my pancake craving and going to the store was waaay too much effort, so i took the easy route.

kodiak cakes pancake mix never lets me down. i simply mix a serving of mix with a serving of vanilla protein powder and some water.. voila, instant pancake batter.

to spruce things up a bit, i added some cinnamon and this vanilla powder to the batter. i picked it up at whole foods the other day. it is like cocaine for the vanilla addict. and, bonus, it’s legal. addicting.. but legal.

i have been putting this vanilla powder in everything from coffee to oats, so i decided that it would be fantastic in my protein pancakes. i was right.

will everyone please make sure i remember to always go to the effort of pulling out my electric griddle? when i am being lazy, i cook my pancakes one by one in a skillet. this results in some pancakes being cold and also they don’t cook as evenly as they do on the skillet. if you don’t have one of these, you should invest in one. this was only $20 at walmart. i typically hate walmart, but when my mom told me about this bad boy, i made an exception and went there. anything for a kitchen appliance, right?

within a couple minutes, the pancakes were done. all at the same time.

i decided to fancy things up a bit and layer my pancakes with syrup and strawberries. i picked up a container of strawberries at costco the other day and i have to say, they are perfectly ripe and delicious. get some.

IMG_7966IMG_7969IMG_7971IMG_7979

after this, marshall and i watched four hours of spartacus: blood & sand.

i was surprised how easily i was sucked into this show. we managed to finish off season one last night.

i eventually peeled myself from netflix, eat a trader joe’s fig flavor cereal bar and made my way to the gym.

image_thumb2

i decided to do a fun routine on the treadmill that involved a quick warmup, intervals of walking, jogging and sprinting, then a long, inclined cooldown.

treadmill:

15 6 0
16 9 0
17 4 0
18 6 0
19 9 0
20-30 3.5 15

this may look simple, but because i was all over the place in the speed department, it took a lot of effort and it was really fun! i can’t wait to try it again.

image_thumb11

i went home for a late liquid lunch at 4 PM.

times this glass by two, because it made a lot and i drank it all.

into the mix:

• 1.5 cups almond milk
  • 1 cup ice cubes
  • 1 frozen banana
  • 2 handfuls fresh blueberries
  • 3 cups spinach
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (EAS brand)
  • 1/8 tsp each of guar & xanthan gums
  • 1 tsp chia seeds

good stuff.

i got ready and marshall & i took the pups for a walk around downtown SLC. they rarely get to walk around in town and they really like it. the weather was incredible yesterday, so it was impossible to NOT take them out for a walk.

my good friend cody was in a modern dance performance last night, so we all went to see him in action. the dance was at 7:45 and we didn’t have time to eat beforehand.  his dance was the first one (luckily) but we still didn’t get out of there until almost 9. you can imagine how hungry i was by the time we actually were able to eat dinner.

we arrived at paradise bakery right before they closed. just in the knick of time. i ordered a small chopped BBQ chicken salad and a half of a chicken artichoke panini on wheat. it came with a cookie… possibly the best part of paradise bakery.

IMG_7984IMG_7987

5 hours between this and my liquid lunch.. no good. it’s safe to say i inhaled this.

after dinner, we picked up our pups from kristen & rory’s house and headed home to finish off the season of spartacus: blood and sand. i am sad it is over.

and that, friends, was my first day back to regular blogging. looks like i haven’t lost my knack to ramble, eh?

1. what is your favorite kitchen appliance? how about the one you use most? my favorite one has to be my new ice cream maker. we are still in the honeymoon stage but i feel like our relationship is going to last a long time. the one i use most is either my vitamix or my toaster. i make a lot of shakes and toast.

2. how many hours do you typically go between meals? i try to keep it to 3-4 hours. if i get too hungry then i end up eating the whole kitchen without thinking.

Tracy @ Commit To Fit February 13, 2011 at 10:17 am

I have never seen vanilla powder, I am going to have to hunt it down :) My favourite appliance is the stand up mixer I borrowed from my in laws ( I really have to get one). I usually eat about every 3 hours, depending on the day and what I am doing.

Erica February 13, 2011 at 10:18 am

Yayyy! I’m excited for meals and moves to be back ;) The pancakes look totally perfect. I need to get my hands on that vanilla powder. Deliciousness! I am about to take my little man for a walk. I always feel like a much better fur mama when I get him outside for a good walk. Yummy dinner- LOVE that it came with a cookie <3

1. what is your favorite kitchen appliance? how about the one you use most? favorite? probably my grind and brew. I haven't been using it a lot lately because coffee (decaf) was making me feel ill for a while (the smell alone). I also love my stand mixer. That thing rocks. I use it weekly

2. how many hours do you typically go between meals? probably 3-4 as well. I can't go too long or I get to be a grumpy pants.

Enjoy your Sunday!

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate February 13, 2011 at 10:21 am

Those pancakes look DELICIOUS!

movesnmunchies February 13, 2011 at 10:37 am

i LOVE that workout- def saving that!!.. i usually wait 3 hours.. sometimes its 2 cuz i get uber hungry! ahah but i agree.. if i wait any longer than I’ll just either choose too much to eat at the next meal.. or an unbalanced meal!

Andrea February 13, 2011 at 10:49 am

We really like the first season of spartacus. The first there episodes of the second season are on Netflix now and this season is good as well.

Marisa @ Loser for Life February 13, 2011 at 11:08 am

Vanilla powder and pancakes sound like a match made in heaven!

Carbzilla February 13, 2011 at 11:16 am

Artichoke + Panini = True Love!

OMG I went 6 hours between breakfast & lunch yesterday and then INHALED a blackened salmon caesar salad. I should have had half a bar or something to hold me over. Back rookie move.

Don’t even get me started on the vanilla powder. Kodiak already know I love it with all my heart.

Happy Valentine’s day, chicka!

1. I really really love my Vitamix. End of story.

Kristen February 13, 2011 at 11:41 am

I never comment haha, and have been reading your blog forever, but I just have to tell you that I loved the first season of Spartacus too! Since the main actor has cancer they made a prequel series for Season 2 that is almost equally as good. The episodes just started four weeks ago so there are only 4 episodes so far but it is just as gritty and entertaining as before so you should check it out :)

janetha @ meals and moves February 13, 2011 at 11:51 am

we already started the second season! we like it, but not as much without handsome andy whitfield. i hope his cancer goes away–SO sad. first michael C hall and now him.. what is up with actors i love getting cancer?

thanks for commenting and reading, kristen!

One Healthy Apple February 13, 2011 at 11:52 am

That vanilla powder is on my ‘must get’ list now. I love vanilla but hate when vanilla taste is off or too fake.

My favorite kitchen appliance right now is my fake bullet/high speed blender. I LOVE it and use it for everything now.

Cheri February 13, 2011 at 11:53 am

I am SO going to have to do a road trip down to SLC! I MUST have some vanilla powder.

My favorite appliance is my BULLET. I love this little blender, and it has proven to be a total workhorse! Use it for everything from smoothies, dressings, to sandwiches (homemade hummus), etc.

My length between meals is ridiculous because of work (no time for snacks at work either). It’s 5 1/2 hours between breakfast and lunch, and usually 6 to 7 hours between lunch and dinner. Not a good situation, but you deal. I totally relate to wanting to inhale the kitchen. I would absolutely die if I didn’t have my faithful Chobani waiting as an after work snack.

janetha @ meals and moves February 13, 2011 at 11:57 am

wow that is SO long without food. i would definitely have a hard time.. and be drinking lots of water!

the powder is available online: http://www.amazon.com/India-Tree-10511-Vanilla-Powder/dp/B000VS2BGM

Ashley @ 365 things February 13, 2011 at 11:59 am

Totally OT, but what is the little red thing you used to pour your syrup? I’m fascinated…lol

My favorite appliance hands down is my Keurig Platinum coffee maker. Quite possibly the best invention ever made.

I eat around the same time every day… 6:30am, noon, 5-5:30ish then a big snack later in the evening. :)

janetha February 13, 2011 at 12:04 pm
Andrea@WellnessNotes February 13, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Your pancakes look great! I made pancakes this morning and was thinking that I really should get an electric griddle… I don’t have space for it in my kitchen, so it would have to “live” in my garage. Since I loved the pancakes I made this morning so much, I may have to invest in the griddle after all as I see many more pancakes in our future… Thanks for the Walmart tip!

My favorite kitchen appliance is my immersion blender. Great for “creamy” soups without cream! :)

Christin@purplebirdblog February 13, 2011 at 12:12 pm

My favorite kitchen appliance is probably my food processor or my spiralizer, but I definitely use the rice cooker and the blender the most! :)

lindsay February 13, 2011 at 12:15 pm

there they are! the glorious flap jacks are back. And pretty in red for V-day! Oh so pretty! I love my griddle and my food processor. Oh and of course my french press!

janetha February 13, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Okay, my FP is #1 appliance.. Didn’t think of that!

Jessica February 13, 2011 at 12:31 pm

My Magic Bullet is currently my favorite appliance. I love mixing up a quick protein shake without worrying about washing the blender.

1970kikiproject February 13, 2011 at 12:37 pm

i love the plate that you used for your pancakes!
i don’t really have a fave kitchen appliance…as honest, i don’t like cooking very much…i am trying to change my ways! so i guess my toaster is my favourite appliance!
i need to eat every 3-4 hours, too. if i don’t, i start feeling snappish!
enjoy your sunday! enjoyed the trip stories of last week…but it is fun to see the meals and moves again!

edenseats February 13, 2011 at 1:02 pm

I think I’d eat pancakes if I was told I’d die tomorrow, lots and lots of pancakes!

I totally am past eh honeymoon stage with my ice cream maker and I’ve had it for two years. I think I need a new one, I use it daily! But I must say, you know that thing on the tv, the “slapchop”. I love it! I got it at target and I’ve worn it out! And since I work in a kitchen, I actually admit my favorite tool is a really excellent, sharp knife. Makes everything so much easier!

And I think I actually eat a little something every two hours! but “meals” perhaps every 3 or 4, kinda just depends how busy I am! And working as private chef means you gotta keep tasting!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 13, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Welcome back! I have missed your regular posts….the vacay posts were wonderful too! But I miss hearing about your daily M & M life stuff, too!

Fave appliance…it’s not an appliance but i use my good knives and cutting board 987898 times a day b/c i am ALWAYS chopping up some sort of produce. I also use my Vita and coffee maker daily :)

Love the pancake shots, btw. So pretty :)

lowandbhold February 13, 2011 at 1:09 pm

My toaster oven and Keurig get the most use, but I love smoothies from my ghetto blender as well :)

I usually don’t go more than 4 hours. I’m always hungry!

raphee February 13, 2011 at 1:19 pm

I’ve been reading your blog for about a year and I finally decided to start one. Let me just say that I love yours!
Since I live in Canada, I don’t think that i can find vanilla powder and that’s too bad because it looks like crack …
Vanilla extract does the job in my pancakes but i’m sure this powder would make them even better…!

Marie February 13, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Welcome back; loved reading your vacation recaps! We’ve been to Cozumel and looking forward to going to Playa some time. We live in Houston so the plane ride isn’t bad at all.

I love my Magic Bullet and french press. ;) we broke our little food processor so I’m looking forward to getting a larger one.

I usually go three hours between meals.

Jennie February 13, 2011 at 1:32 pm

The chicken artichoke panini is my favorite. I order it every time I go to Paradise. My favorite appliance is my panini maker. I love making panini’s. :)

BroccoliHut February 13, 2011 at 1:54 pm

I love the plate you served your pancakes on–where did you get it? It would coordinate quite nicely with my kitchen decor:)
1. My favorite AND most used appliance is my immersion blender. I use it to make hummus, soup, and even banana soft serve. Love it!
2. I usually go about 4-5 hours between meals mostly due to my class schedule. It’s hard to grab a bite in the middle of class!

janetha @ meals and moves February 13, 2011 at 2:13 pm

it was a gift! i am not sure where it came from…

Shannon February 13, 2011 at 1:56 pm

ah, a week of no camera and re-living a great vacation… sounds pretty good :) and i’m totally craving another green smoothie for dinner! that is if i ever get hungry again after the brunch i just had!

i’m with you on the eating habits, it’s over and done if i’m too hungry! i’ve been using my vitamix every day for awhile… pretty much since i got the thing :) mostly for smoothies, but also for soups and as a food processor sometimes. i don’t like to play favorites ;)

Hannah (Hannah Lives) February 13, 2011 at 1:58 pm

It’s good to have the regularly scheduled program back. I was starting to miss it!

I’m also gonna go out on a limb and assume you have tried a couple different brands of protein powder, and wanted to ask for a recommendation. I’ve been in the market for one for a while, one that isn’t gross, and chalky tasting. I’ve seen/heard a lot about BiPro, EAS, and Sun Warrior. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

P.s. I need that vanilla powder, putting it in coffee? genius! I’ve tried using straight up vanilla extract in my coffee, but apparently my palate is sensitive to the alcohol in it, because I just can’t do it. It tastes like rubbing alcohol, even the really good vanilla extract!

janetha @ meals and moves February 13, 2011 at 2:15 pm

My favorite kind, hands down, is EAS vanilla premium protein. It is a blend of whey, soy and casein. I like to use it as a canvas for other flavors.. so I will add cocoa powder or various extracts or fresh fruit to it to make it a different flavor. I love it!

Amanda February 13, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I need Vanilla powder in my life. I just finally tried vanilla bean paste and I am in love. So delicious. I also really want some strawberries. Strawberries with vanilla are so delicious.

I need to keep 3-4 hours between meals too. I’ll eat everything if I don’t.

Favorite kitchen appliance? The kitchenaid. I love that thing.

Heather February 13, 2011 at 2:22 pm

ok, i loved you JTT story…although i am pretty sure he was going to marry me. i think he’s gay now…right?

anyway, i do the exact same thing with pancakes and it drives nate CRAZY! and we have an electric griddle, but i just never pull it out. i feel like a pan is easier to clean. but i would totally devour some flapjacks right about now!

Lauren February 13, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Your pancakes look gorgeous! I just made pancakes using Kodiak mix this morning. It’s honestly the best mix I’ve ever had.

I will have to try that treadmill workout. It sounds like it would fly by.

It really depends how long I go without eating. Some days I can go for 5-6 hours but other days, I can’t stand to go longer than 3. It’s really different every single day. Wish I could figure it out.

My favorite kitchen appliance as of late is my Krueig. I will NEVER drink Instant coffee again!

MelissaNibbles February 13, 2011 at 2:55 pm

I need that vanilla powder. I love Spartacus! Oh my word hot guys!

thedelicateplace February 13, 2011 at 4:03 pm

my fave appliance is the vitamix! i watched the notebook last night and cried a lot haha. such a sap! depends sometimes 3-4 hrs other times 6-7. i eat when i can!

Mama Pea February 13, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Vanilla powder?! You crazy kid. I’ve been putting vanilla bean paste (from you!) in my sugar cookie tea every day. Dang if that ain’t tasty!

Favorite kitchen appliance: it’s a tie between my juicer and my Vitamix. I have a “drinking” problem.

Hours between meals: um…this question should be “minutes between meals.” The answer is 22.

eatingalot.com February 13, 2011 at 4:36 pm

if coffee doesn’t count as a meal, typically at least 17 hours, often over 24 hours between meals

I like to eat, so I would rather eat five times as much even if it means only one-fifth as often. The key is to think about eating the whole kitchen, then actually go do it. Good times

carolinebee February 13, 2011 at 4:38 pm

most used= def the coffee pot!! :) I wish i had my food processor here but I can’t suck it up enough to go buy one…i hate cluttered countertops and i know i won’t get it out and use it..SIGH, my life is so hard..
;D

inmytummy February 13, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Kitchen appliance is tied between my rice cooker and my food processor.

kissmybroccoli February 13, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Gor-JUS pancake pics girlie! Love that plate!

My favorite kitchen appliance AND the one I use most often is my Magic Bullet. It’s funny, I probably owned it for a year before I even started using it regularly and now I barely go one day without firing it up! I made pancakes today and kept wishing I had an electric skillet like yours! 20 bucks at Wal-Mart sounds like a great deal to me! And I make pancakes AT LEAST once a week!

I usually go anywhere from 3-5 hours between meals. If I let more time than that go by, I start having really weird blood sugar drops and can’t think straight.

healthyteacher February 13, 2011 at 5:42 pm

I’m a little bit in love with pancakes. This did not help my addiction.

julie February 13, 2011 at 6:10 pm

girrrrrrrl i WANT that vanilla powder! i think a trip to whole foods is in order just for that powder! i would seriously cover everything under the sun in that shiznat.

Errign February 13, 2011 at 6:31 pm

I am jealous of your breakfast AND dinner. I need to eat like every 3-4 hours or I get CRANKY. Watch outttt.

Pure2raw twins February 13, 2011 at 6:42 pm

We have been enjoying your trip recaps :) It is weird sometimes to get out of routine, but then feels wonderful to back into your groove.

I watched some Spartacus on netflix last week, pretty intense, but I like it. I love movies/shows like this.

I try to eat small meals throughout the day, but sometimes my schedule does not allow me to do that. Lately I have been eating majority at night, which is not good, but it is life. :)

Sarah February 13, 2011 at 8:01 pm

hooray! i missed your regular blogging (but loved the mexico recaps!). i love my magic bullet and i use it the most often. i REALLY want a food processor!

i usually go 4-5 hours between meals. any longer than that and i have a snack!

paijery February 13, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Fave appliance is def my Vitamix!! And I used it today to whip up that smoothie of yours! Modified a teeny bit (more chia, less ice, frozen blueberries, blah blah) and it was aaaaawesome!!!
I have vanilla bean powder but mine is brown not white?? Regardless, it takes so good!
Happy <3 Day tomorrow! xo

Linda Wagner - Nutrition to Invigorate Mind, Body & Spirit February 13, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Mmmmmm, green smoothie and salad look good!!

Lindsay February 13, 2011 at 10:17 pm

1. I think this might sound like a sad excuse for “my favorite Kitchen too” my favorite Kitchen tool would have to be my microwave! I work really late in the evening, so when I get home I often just reheat the dinner my mom made in the microwave. I could not exist without my trusty microwave.
2. I am not a person that gets hungry during the day, weird i know, so I can usually go 8 hours between breakfast and lunch and then I usually wait 3-4 hours between lunch and dinner!

natalie (the sweets life) February 14, 2011 at 7:49 am

I have some similar vanilla powder–love the stuff and never thought to add to pancake batter. DUH! Love the dish your pancakes were on!

kristastes February 14, 2011 at 8:11 am

You are my long lost cross-country gym buddy. Just sayin’! The random interval run/walk/incline workouts are the best…I think they make treadmill time go by so much faster.

Freckled Foodie February 14, 2011 at 10:46 am

i think i want pancakes for dinner tonight, thanks to you :)
haha