day cuatro.

by Janetha on February 9, 2011

in meals

hola!

i am going to dive right into tuesday’s recap from my vacation to playa del carmen.

we were planning to go to see some old pyramids, but we decided to be lazy and hang out at the beach all day instead.

IMG_7460IMG_7463

it was cloudy and not too hot. just the way i like it. there were actually some gnarly storm clouds and it looked like it would rain, but it didn’t. not even a drop.

i even got in the ocean.. the water wasn’t even cold! but the waves were crashing, big time, so it was hard to fight them and try not to go under.

i had to hold on to my sunglasses, because the last time i was in the ocean, my sunglasses were wooshed away from my face. i am sure a mermaid is rocking them on her face right now, actually.

eventually, our group moved to the pool for some football passing and lounging. i caught the football every time! i deserve a medal. i usually suck so bad at sports of any kind.

IMG_7470 IMG_7490

he’s cute. i’ll keep him.

(psst. lindsay!!)

it goes without saying that we ate several ice cream cones on tuesday. and every day, for that matter.

it was a ben & jerry’s cart.. but not ben & jerry’s ice cream. shucks.

still, it was deeelicious.

when we were walking back to our room, guess what we saw??

A BAAABY MONKEY!

thank goodness marshall had a banana in his pocket! i told you guys, he went everywhere with a banana at all times in case we saw a monkey.

prepare for more monkey photos in 3, 2, 1…

IMG_7513IMG_7534IMG_7539 IMG_7517

i love him!

we had dinner reservations at the japanese restaurant at the resort but they weren’t until 9 PM, so marshall and i grabbed a few tacos to split around 6 PM. they was just from a little street stand.

these were probably the BEST tacos we had the whole time!

we also found a cool local artist fair going on in town.

we bought this cherry blossom artwork. the artist is in the photo holding the painting we purchased.

once back at the hotel, we met everyone for our late dinner. teppanyaki style.

this was easily the best meal we had on the resort. probably because it was freshly prepared right before our eyes! IMG_7673

panda!

miso soup to start~

fried rice~

veggies~

shrimp, chicken & steak~

tempura bananas & ice cream for dessert~

lovebirds~

P1010855
and that’s that. tuesday in a nutshell.

see you next time for more tacos, monkeys, sunshine and ice cream. i promise, i will be back to regular posting soon.. so sorry if you are over the mexico recaps. i need to do them for myself.. i have a bad memory!

1. if you have the option of both, do you pick beach or pool? we spent most of our time at the beach and only went to the pool this one day. have to take advantage of the beach when it is available! plus i like salt water better than chlorinated water.

2. do you like teppanyaki? or have you never had it? love it. especially when our chef can do cool tricks with knives. i get a kick out of that.

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate February 9, 2011 at 5:06 pm

I prefer the pool. I HATE the beach because sand drives me nuts ;)

Allison @ Runs A Latte February 9, 2011 at 5:08 pm

So funny! The last time I was in the ocean in Hawaii (high school), a wave took my Armani sunglasses right off my head. I was freaking out about losing expensive sunglasses and within a few minutes a little 7 or 8 year old girl came up to me holding them asking if they were mine. I am pretty sure I told her I loved her. Lesson learned.

Andrea@WellnessNotes February 9, 2011 at 5:46 pm

I prefer the beach. But that pool looks very nice! :)

I want a taco now! I love when simple food tastes really good. And I love the rice panda. And I know the toddler would love it even more! :)

Oh, and I want a vacation… :)

dana @ my little celebration February 9, 2011 at 6:12 pm

You guys and your monkeys. So cute!

If I had to choose between the pool or beach, I’d say the beach every time. I love the ocean!

Nicole C. February 9, 2011 at 6:18 pm

I love me a good beach! West Coast ones aren’t so nice and they are coooold. I still like to lounge by them. I’m sure I will go when I see my Mom in San Diego.

I love teppanyaki, fun stuff right there!

I especially love that you bought street art! Cherry blossoms are so pretty, it was a nice choice. Ben and I religiously buy street art when we visit places and have a good start to cover a wall soon.

February 9, 2011 at 6:18 pm

I adore the beach! The beach gives my hair nice waves:) The tempura bananas you ate look so yummy!

BroccoliHut February 9, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Aah! Love the panda!

cbrady3 February 9, 2011 at 6:43 pm

As much as I like the idea of the beach, I’m much more of a pool girl. I like the lack of sand everywhere!

julie February 9, 2011 at 6:47 pm

happy belated to your mama and papa :) so exciting!

also i think that for your first ani marsh should get you a monkey

lindsay February 9, 2011 at 6:54 pm

ahhhhhh!! this totally made my day! I gotta show my hubs. Thank you Marshall for the hair shot!
LC

Paige is Running Around Normal February 9, 2011 at 7:21 pm

The baaaaby monkey!! :) I love him too!

Katy (The Singing Runner) February 9, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Haha! Love the monkey! :) Really looks like a great trip! I hope that I have this much fun when I go to Costa Rica next month! :)

purplebirdblog February 9, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I’m glad I now know if I ever make it down there to take bananas to feed the monkeys!

Love the panda and the cherry blossom painting!!

emily February 9, 2011 at 9:01 pm

1. I pick beach, probably just because that’s what I grew up with. My real pick would be beach, with a pool next door so I can rinse off the salt!

2. I’ve never been, but that panda might be the coolest thing I’ve ever seen.

Amanda February 9, 2011 at 9:44 pm

I want to go to Mexico. I’ve never been which is crazy. Andy’s from San Diego and we visit SD pretty often and it’s SO close. These pictures are so pretty!

Still loving the monkey eating bananas pics. So cute!!!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) February 9, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Aww, the monkey was so cute. Did you about six million times say to Marshall…”is that a banana in your pocket or are you happy to see me?” yah, thought so.

Street stand food is hands down the best food I ever consume in a foreign country. Why is that not the case for the USA?

Beach beach beach without question. Yes, love Teppanyaki, but love sushi better.

Runeatrepeat February 9, 2011 at 10:08 pm

I like teppanyaki, but I don’t like how you get the food in parts. I like to eat things together.

lizzyj1305 February 9, 2011 at 10:44 pm

ahhh BEACH all the way!! I could spend hours surfing…but at the pool I can not sit still so I end up swimming laps<–boring!
Your pictures are beautiful!! you and your man are such a HOT couple, your babies will rule the world one day!
I want Japanese food right now!! yummmy, and the panda head is too cute!
I hope you have a great Thursday!
xoxo!

Erica D February 9, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Beach beach beach. I hate not being able to run around a pool! I’ve never had that type of cuisine, but it looks so fresh and delicious!

MelissaNibbles February 10, 2011 at 3:04 am

If I have the option, I choose pool. Less walking.
The panda rice is very cool. I want to learn how to do that!

Cathy K February 10, 2011 at 4:18 am

BEACH!!! i love the feel of sand between my toes, how easy it is to people watch (yea i find that fun!), laze about on the sand…too fun.
haha, we always have good intentions of taking trips or signing up for activities…then once we arrive at the resort, the call of the beach is just too much and that’s what we end up doing the whole time!
love the trip recap – glad we still have a few days left to see!!

Heather February 10, 2011 at 6:04 am

beach please…but i do appreciate a pool nearby :)

withasideofhope February 10, 2011 at 6:07 am

I enjoy the beach and then going to the pool after. :) I love hibachi! It’s my favorite. I really like the panda that was made out of rice! So cute! I LOVE the painting that you bought! It’s beautiful!! :)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine February 10, 2011 at 6:09 am

Oh my God, MONKEY!! That is adorable!!

For looking, I prefer the ocean, but for lounging, I prefer the pool. I don’t like sand in places it shouldn’t be.

Michelle February 10, 2011 at 7:53 am

I prefer the pool mostly because salt water and sand just aren’t my thing.

I love that the monkey holds onto the tree with his tail. It’s adorable!

LG February 10, 2011 at 8:02 am

I am totally loving your Mexico re-caps because there is wayyyy to much snow on the ground in Alberta and I’m dying to go on vacation!!! So thanks. :0)

Errign February 10, 2011 at 8:09 am

Squeeeal – the monkey & the rice-panda. I die from cuteness. :)

Kathie February 10, 2011 at 8:22 am

Look at that water!! So blue!! And the PANDA…omg!! I LOVE Pandas!

Marg February 10, 2011 at 8:46 am

Those monkeys are so cute! I want to go to the beach so bad.
I love going to hibachis or teppenyakis (learned a new name for it). We used to go all the time for lunch, but haven’t been in over a year.

Kate February 10, 2011 at 9:17 am

Beach or pool? Is that even a question?? BEACH!! woo!

I love tepanyaki! I have only had it a handful of times, but it’s yummy, and fun!

Sarah February 10, 2011 at 9:21 am

love the monkey pics!

also, the cherry blossom artwork is awesome! i love cherry blossoms – so pretty. :)

lowandbhold February 10, 2011 at 9:53 am

Love teppanyaki! And definitely the beach. Love it.

Freckled Foodie February 10, 2011 at 11:46 am

OMG that baby monkey is adorable!

looks like an amazing place!

xo.

Jen February 10, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Love the beach, but hate the ocean. The last time I went in an ocean I was stung by a jellyfish…combined with watching too many shows during shark week, I’m petrified!!!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) February 10, 2011 at 12:26 pm

hahah that panda rice is SO awesome!!! I know I mentioned this before, but i stayed at that exact resport and all of your pics bring back such memories! i always remember the free ice cream being open everyday. and also they had daily snacks like chips and salsa and guac or hot dogs :) ton o’ food!!

the pics are amazing! and the monkey is amazing!

I LOVE both the beach and pool, I guess it depends a lot on the wind! if its really windy, I prefer the pool, but I also love my feet in the sand and being right by the ocean!

Kim @ Imperfectly Perfect February 10, 2011 at 12:39 pm

This post made me so excited! My boyfriend and I leave for Mexico on the 27th. I.Can’t.Wait!! Great pictures. It looks like you had a lot of fun!

I’m definitely a beach gal, but don’t mind the pool.

Lindsay February 10, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Am I the only one that noticed that the guy with his wife in the background of your first picture of the art fair looks like he’s totally picking a wedgie?

Haha! :)

Beach!

Katie February 10, 2011 at 2:55 pm

omg the panda rice is soooooooo cool! I want to go to a hibachi place where the chef does that! my son would think that is too cool!

Love more monkey love! Now the question is, is Marshall going to REMEMBER now thats he is home to stop carrying a banana in his pocket besides the mandatory one that each man has ( lol ) or is he still keeping a banana in his pocket now?! lol

Love the recaps, my fave part is the icecream unlimited love!!!

Christine (The Raw Project) February 10, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Cute monkey pics, what a great day. Beautiful beach pics and great eats. I more of a pool person myself mainly because of the sand. And teppanyaki is fun with groups.

Elina (Healthy and Sane) February 10, 2011 at 4:33 pm

I miss vacation!!! I’m actually taking next week off to relax and we’ll go to Maine for part of it. The exact opposite of a beach vacation… I expect a lot of snow and little to do. Perfection. :D

enjoyingthechaos February 10, 2011 at 8:33 pm

I could so use a beach right now!!

Erin P. February 11, 2011 at 7:37 am

I love the beaches!!!!

P.S. In the pics of you in the water where you are trying to not lose your sunglasses, your arms and shoulders look FABULOUS! Major definition. I mean that in a totally hetero way :)

janetha February 11, 2011 at 9:02 am

Haha, thank you, Erin!

elise February 11, 2011 at 9:41 am

nice of you to donate some sunglasses to a mermaid :)
baby monkey!!!!! so cute!
even cuter…you two crazy kids.