day dos, part dos.

by Janetha on February 7, 2011

in meals

hey guys! i wanted to start out by saying that one year ago today, my mister proposed to me in jamaica!

what a whirlwind this year has been, eh?

it is kind of nice to have a free tropical vacation the first week of february every year. last year’s was jamaica (where we got engaged.. obviously) and this year, as you know, was mexico.

on that note.. another flashback to our trip to mexico!

in case you missed it:

i left off sunday after a long stroll on the beach. we showered all the salt water and sand off ourselves and cleaned up for dinner in town.

waiting in the lobby for friends..

“town” is only a couple miles from the hotel, so it didn’t take much to get there. once there, we went to a restaurant that i had actually eaten at two years before. la parrilla.

we ordered chips, guac and melted cheese for starters.

IMG_7167IMG_7170

i often dream of their lobster tacos, so my order was already decided before i even sat down.

blech.. yellow lighting alert.

everyone in the group took shots except for me & marshall. we don’t do shots. not even with groups. but we were all about this kind of group shot!

yes, i am cheesier than our appetizer. left to right.. me, marshall, my co-worker sim and her husband cade, dana (corey’s wife) and my coworker corey. it’s always fun to hang out with work people outside of work..and the fact that we were in mexico didn’t hurt the situation at all.

after finishing our meals and eating way too many chips, it was time to wander off all that food.

can you spy marshall in the photo above? hint: backpack.

we saw a few animals in town, including a baby lion! yes, a baby lion cub. it was sooo cute and i felt sooo sad for it! they were charging $20 for photos with the lion cub. i hope it has a good home life. i mean.. the streets of playa del carmen aren’t exactly jungle territory.

so.. no $20 photo of the lion cub. sorry. here are some cool birds as a compensation prize.

we ended up holding a squirrel monkey. the cuteness sucked us in. worth $10? probably not.. but it’s all about the experience, right?

IMG_7184IMG_7190IMG_7194

i leave you with a plethora of photos from and and about in the town.

IMG_7219IMG_7200IMG_7202IMG_7206IMG_7207IMG_7209IMG_7211IMG_7212IMG_7214IMG_7216IMG_7218

day 3 coming up next! have a great monday night/tuesday day. see you next time.

1. what is your favorite animal?

2. do you like lobster?

Katie February 7, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Yay for Mexico pictures! I love warm vacations…the picture of you in shorts made me jealous. :-)

I love lions! Or any big cats…tigers, cheetahs, etc.

And yes, I like lobster a lot.

Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner February 7, 2011 at 7:43 pm

I LOVE lobster! I would have ordered the same thing ;)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 7, 2011 at 7:46 pm

when i used to eat fish/seafood, i LOVE lobster! I became anaphalatic allergic to shellfish in my early 20s (out of the blue) and so i am really gunshy to partake anymore but god, i love it!

and i love all your trips pics!

and the sidebar nutella /food holiday du jour add-on you installed.. TOO CUTE! :)

Sarah February 7, 2011 at 7:50 pm

so jealous of your trip! i looks amazing! :)

YES, i love lobster! of course.

Momma B February 7, 2011 at 7:55 pm

You are just the cutest in that group photo!

Hippopotamus and turtles

LOVE lobster

p.s. I spy a really sweet sombreo that you could have brought me haha :) xoxo

*Andrea* February 7, 2011 at 8:02 pm

i can’t believe that was a year ago! time flies.. i’ve been following your blog since the start and it has evolved so nicely : )

my favorite animal used to be the flamingo when i was younger because it was pink, but now i think pandas are adorable or puppies

janetha February 7, 2011 at 8:03 pm

you just wait.. i have flamingo photos coming up! i love that you have read for so long.. you are the best :)

lindsay February 7, 2011 at 9:04 pm

happy engagement anniversary! Is that how you say it? anyway, I remember that post. wow! can’t believe its been a year.
I want that monkey, too stinkin cute!

Andrea@WellnessNotes February 7, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Looks like a great vacation! I’ll read your other posts now in reverse order… :)

I think I only had lobster once or twice, and I liked it. But I guess it didn’t stand out that much… I’ll have to give it another try!

Julia February 7, 2011 at 9:48 pm

What a fantastic trip! I’m very jealous. And lobster tacos – now I’m even more jealous. I love lobster, I love any seafood really though.
Can’t wait to hear about Day 3!

TheNewHealthy February 7, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Aw yay! Happy proposal day! ;) Oh damn, that has to be belated because it’s now 12:01! haha

The local shopping centers are some of my favorite parts of Mexico! Although I nearly always end up paying way too much for everything–I’m not the best at bartering!

Erica D February 7, 2011 at 11:08 pm

I love marmots; they’re like mountain beavers! All they do is lie on top of a peak all day; I’d be down.

Even though I grew up on the shoreline, I’ve never been a fan of lobster! I used to work at a seafood shack that sells lobster rolls for $15.75. I still don’t see the appeal! Gimme some scallops.

purplebirdblog February 7, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Definitely would have paid for pictures with the mini-monkey.

1. Dogs rule.
2. Oh yes.

edenseats February 7, 2011 at 11:46 pm

I dont do shots either! they make me totally gag!

all those animals and no owls!?
You know my favorite animal and I wear it on my neck ;) But elephants are a close second!
I had to cook lobster in culinary school and lost my taste for it after that. I dont mind it, but I prefer shrimp.

Sara February 8, 2011 at 12:45 am

I was just wondering, why don’t you wear your engagement ring? Sorry if you’ve answered this before!

janetha February 8, 2011 at 7:01 am

My engagement ring and my wedding ring are one and the same! I didn’t get a wedding band when I got married. I wear it every day! I didn’t take it to Mexico because i didn’t want anything to happen to it. I felt soooo naked that I had to buy a ring to wear. I bought it the night in this post actually!

MelissaNibbles February 8, 2011 at 2:52 am

Cute monkey! Happy engagement anniversary!
My favorite animal are dogs. Pugs to be exact and I love lobster!

Cathy K February 8, 2011 at 4:36 am

happy engagement anniversary!!
i love all the colour in your after-dinner photos!! just beautiful pictures – thanks for sharing!
i like lobster…can take it or leave it. not to cook up myself, though!
can’t wait to read about and see photos from the rest of the week!…

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) February 8, 2011 at 4:49 am

Lobster tacos? HOLY YUM! I think that answers the question of if I like lobster, LOL.

My favorite animal… I think would have to be kitties. We have so many of them, they’ve grown on me through the years. :) I love all animals, though!

Katie February 8, 2011 at 5:44 am

time flies! Happy 1 year being engaged and soon it will be one year being married!!!

I want that squirrel monkey! SO CUTE!!

Love the pics you took, amazing!

The lobster tacos sound fab and the chips and cheezy goodness! yum!!

Love ya girl! xoxo

Amanda February 8, 2011 at 5:52 am

Lobster tacos?? Um yes, sign me up!!

I love the little monkey, so cute!!

1. My favorite animal is definitely dogs. We were without a dog for a while and during that time I realized life is not the same without one! My little doggie makes my life complete :)

2. I typically don’t eat shellfish, but I have been known to make an exception for really really good lobster!! If it’s totally worth it, I’ll eat it! I would definitely eat those lobster tacos no prob.

Amanda-The Nutritionist Reviews February 8, 2011 at 5:52 am

You are so lucky to get to hold a monkey!

coffeeandthepaper February 8, 2011 at 5:52 am

Happy engagement anniversary!

I love the town exploration – that’s one of my favorite things to do on vacation. And Mexico looks like it has some way cool places to explore.

I’ve never tried lobster but I’d love to! In Maine, on a boat, with a J.Crew male model wearing a Fair Isle sweater, preferably. But I’m not picky.

eliza February 8, 2011 at 5:55 am

I am from and live in Maine so yes, I do love lobstah!

My favorite animal is .. I love all animals!!!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine February 8, 2011 at 6:04 am

AWWW baby monkey!! Sooooo sweet, I want one!! I think my favorite non-domestic animal are foxes. We have a bunch in our backyard and their faces are adorable.

Love lobster. Love, love, love.

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) February 8, 2011 at 6:22 am

I LOVE monkeys and practically shreiked out loud when I saw you holding one! SO cute! They’re my favorite animal, if you can’t tell ;)

And I’m really not a fan of lobster. We made it in class and, meh. I much prefer crab!

xo

jules524 February 8, 2011 at 6:39 am

I’ve never had lobster…this is gross, but I’m afraid there’s poop still in them.

My favorite animal is Zebras! 8)

PS- Made your mom’s banana bread…HOLY. CRAP. Best I’ve ever had, and I’m not even just saying that. I’m making it again this weekend.

lowandbhold February 8, 2011 at 7:29 am

I don’t particularly care for lobster. I always want to, but then I eat it and it’s just rubbery and bland to me. I like the idea of it in a taco though!

dana @ my little celebration February 8, 2011 at 8:29 am

Cute monkey!

My favorite animal is a beaver. So industrious.

I do like lobster. I lot and lots of buttah.

Heather (Heather's Dish) February 8, 2011 at 8:47 am

aw, that’s super sad about the lion cub :( i’m glad you didn’t pay to have your photo taken with it…let’s see, favorite animal? dogs…love ’em! and i do like lobster! yummy :)

Naomi(onefitfoodie) February 8, 2011 at 8:49 am

I AM SO JEALOUS!!! those pics made me want to be transported somewhere warm and tropical…likeeee now!

I am not a huge fan of lobster mainly because I wouldnt really dip it in butter, and without teh butter it just taste like the ocean! haha
I bet I would like a lightened up lobster roll thougH! yum!!!

My favorite animal are dogs! growing up though, I had an obsession with flamingos! at one brithday party I got 5 of the same beanie babies from my friends (the flamingo one!)

withasideofhope February 8, 2011 at 10:36 am

Happy engagement anniversary!! My favorite animal is a dolphin. I think lobster tail tastes pretty good. I am not a big fan of lobster.

Freckled Foodie February 8, 2011 at 11:11 am

awhh. i love flashbacks.

happy engagement anniversary!

my fave animals are flamingos. they’re so gorgeous! i also love penguins and baby chicks :)

xo.

Healthy Coconut February 8, 2011 at 11:45 am

I didn’t love lobster before but after I met my fiance, he is a diver and dives for lobster when it’s in season…I have come to love lobster after he cooks his many delicious dishes.

I love your pictures. It is making me really excited for my trip to Puerto Vallarta for our wedding.

Rose February 8, 2011 at 12:16 pm

My favorite animal is definitely a house cat. I love kitties!!!!

Lobster? I’ve only used it as a means to get more melted butter in my mouth. hahahah.

Jen February 8, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Going to Mexico was probably my favorite vacation! I had so much fun on that trip!! Love your pictures, glad you had such a fun time :)

happyisthenewpretty February 8, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Oh, I would be in heaven with all that day of the dead stuff!

Michelle February 8, 2011 at 2:59 pm

I love lobster but it’s been such a long time since I’ve had it. Lobster tacos sound great though!

Mary (A Merry Life) February 8, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Cute monkey!

Oh how I love the photos. Mexican shopping is the best.

Lobster was the perfect choice. I love it but rarely ever order it. Last time I had it I was in maine I think. It was a long time ago. Lobster tacos sound awesome.