day dos, part uno.

by Janetha on February 6, 2011

in meals,moves

did you miss day uno?

sunday was our first full day in playa del carmen, mexico.

turns out, breakfast is only served until 10 AM, so we woke up promptly at 9:50 AM and made  our way to the breakfast buffet. i failed you on my photog skills for the first breakfast at the resort, but i am sure you can all imagine what an egg white omelet made to order with lots of veggies and cheese looks like, right? right.

after breakfast, it was time to hit the beach.

mexico 045mexico 047

i started a new book.. loved it. finished it in no time.

mexico 049

and the ice cream cone eating began. the best thing i can say about all inclusive resorts is that you get unlimited all inclusive ice cream cones…

mexico 051

it is not an exaggeration when i say i had at least 25 ice cream cones last week. my favorite flavors were coconut and cookies & cream. when the ice cream cart had that flavor, i made sure to get a couple. not kidding. you never know when your last coconut cone will be! and they might only have the crappy pistachio the next time you have a hankering for an ice cream cone. (not to worry.. when that happened, we just hit up the twist cone soft serve machine.)

i got antsy so i decided to go to the resort weight room. it was the middle of the day and completely empty. score! i ran there for a little warmup (not far at all) and then did a 30 minute circuit training workout that i made up on the spot.

it consisted of four separate circuits. each cycle included three different exercises which i did 15 reps of each and cycled through 3 sets before moving onto the next circuit. i did things like barbell sumo squats, lunges with biceps curls, cable rows, tricep push downs, stiff legged dead lifts and tons of ab work.  point being– i had a super good workout and this led to severe DOMS the next day.

i was hungry after my workout, so i nabbed marshall for lunch at the palapa (whatever that means) which is—you guessed it—another buffet-style all inclusive meal. they did have fresh hamburgers right off the grill, so i usually went with that if i was going to eat lunch at the resort.

mexico 054

there was also a nice selection at the salad bar, so i made a salad and used fresh guacamole instead of dressing.

mexico 052mexico 053

the burgers were actually pretty tasty!

mexico 056

after lunch, marshall and i decided to take a long stroll down the beach. it was warm, breezy and beautiful.

IMG_7153IMG_7126IMG_7132IMG_7142IMG_7151

the walk was super long.. probably close to two miles all together. i love the snow.. but honestly, i could live somewhere with a beach and be perfectly content. beaches are stunning.

after our walk, we cleaned up for dinner on the town.. to be continued!

Q~

if you had the options to live near the beach or in the mountains, which would you choose?

Kelly February 6, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Up until this past year I would have said the beach in no time flat. But then we took a trip the Grand Canyon…wow…now I am not so sure.

simplyshaka February 6, 2011 at 6:35 pm

That burger and salad looks bomb. I miss the beach so badly. I grew up 10 minutes from the beach in FL and looking back, I didn’t appreciate it enough. My choice would definitely be beach!

Kristina @ spabettie February 6, 2011 at 6:37 pm

a few years ago (ski team!) I would have said mountains… but I grew up spending summers in Hawaii and I’m an Island Girl at heart, so BEACH all the way!

I have been craving an ice cream cone lately… really just the CONE. :)

was Chelsea’s book as good as Are you there vodka? I read that on a vacation once, laughing out loud on the airplane…

BroccoliHut February 6, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Loving the guac lovin in your lunch!

Amanda (The Nutritionist Reviews) February 6, 2011 at 6:40 pm

All of your pictures are amazing! I am so jealous. Glad you had fun!

*Andrea* February 6, 2011 at 6:40 pm

love the photos!!! marshal is so cute : )
the food looks delicious. glad you enjoyed your trip!

runyogarepeat February 6, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Awesome pictures! I don’t know – I love living near the mountains for the snow & snowboarding & pretty views, but the beach is pretty awesome.

Katy (The Singing Runner) February 6, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Looks like a great time! Can’t wait for more.

Currently, I live near a beach (okay 30 minutes away but still), but I fell in love with the mountains when I went to Boone, NC during high school.

Tw February 6, 2011 at 7:42 pm

My brother went to App. and I lived in Hickory near Boone…I love Boone, NC and the Mitford series…just had to post that :)

Mara @ What's For Dinner? February 6, 2011 at 6:47 pm

I’d like both please! Ocean and mountains :)

lowandbhold February 6, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Beach! Definitely, definitely beach. The water makes me a calmer, happier person and I will live near it someday.

Sounds like you had a pretty good all-inclusive place, the last two I’ve been to had pretty crappy food. Always disappointing.

Laura (starloz) February 6, 2011 at 6:49 pm

i need to be warm, the cold scares me!

falafelwaffle February 6, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Such a cute post. It all looks so fun.

I live right beside the coast, and right beside the mountains, but if push came to shove, I’d probably pick the beach.

stacey February 6, 2011 at 6:54 pm

I would pick the beach for sure! Your lunch looks pretty good. I’m craving potato wedges now:)

purplebirdblog February 6, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Ocean wildlife creeps me out a bit, but laying on the beach is nice (well, not the Gulf Coast beach, it’s kinda skanky). But I love hiking in the mountains too… I’m gonna roll with mountains.

emily February 6, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Beach! Beach, beach, beach, beach, beach! Clearly I’m still an island girl at heart :)

Btw, all of your pictures from this trip have been gorgeous!

Katie February 6, 2011 at 6:59 pm

unlimited icecream cones!! I would of been LOVING that! I would of double fisted those babies! haha!!!

Love u!

cbrady3 February 6, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Unlimited ice cream cones..sounds like a cruise! And I’d totally pick beach, I’m not a cold weather girl!

Cyndi Beane Henry February 6, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Since I now live in the mountains, you would think I’d say I’d rather live there! However, I grew up on the beach… I’d totally go back there now if I could!!! Love the beach!

Jeni Wood February 6, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Your pictures look awesome! The ice cream cones remind me of the free soft serve on my cruise this summer. :)
I would choose the beach every time. I’m addicted!

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate February 6, 2011 at 7:33 pm

I actually hate the beach! I am a clean freak and I hate the sand ;)

Tw February 6, 2011 at 7:40 pm

that is so, so tough…beach or mountains? Lots more outerwear work with the mtns but nothing shows God’s grace than sitting in Breckenridge(in a hot tub) looking at snow capped mtns we just skied on…..then again a beach is so, so hot and beachy drinks are nice….I guess I choose mountains b/c I hate to sweat/humidity! Unless I was back in Cali but the water was too cold for my bones.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 6, 2011 at 7:44 pm

BEACH all the way. And I do live near it. San Diego :)

These pics are fabulous!!

25 ice cream cones while on vacay = living life, and having fun!

And i see you have watermarks on your pics now…you are getting fancy! :)

Heather February 6, 2011 at 7:51 pm

um, i need to work for your company. for real.

i would, without a doubt, live near the ocean if we could at all afford it! the mountains are amazing and i’m so blessed to have the view i have every day, but the ocean just makes me feel like i’m home. i could never get tired of it!

Sheila February 6, 2011 at 8:07 pm

BEACH all the way, and I do live near it San Diego :)
I love the sound of the ocean

Enjoy your icecream!!!

kissmybroccoli February 6, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Yum! I love huge salad buffets! Way to go on the ice cream consumption! I would probably do the same thing…only I like the pistachio kind! ;)

I would so rather live near a beach! I went to Florida for a week last summer and I didn’t want to leave!

janetha February 6, 2011 at 9:16 pm

oh, i LOVE pistachio ice cream! this was just wrong. the label said pistachio, the taste said funkytown.

Amanda February 6, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Ice cream cones on the beach sounds amazing right now! How fun! Love the pictures so far.

Rose February 6, 2011 at 10:58 pm

That’s a pretty rad salad bar.

I grew in the mountains, 30 minutes away from the beach. If I had to choose, I’d choose mountains.

valgal123 February 6, 2011 at 11:18 pm

Ah that is funny you read Chelsea Handlers book, I’m reading that now. And just said a tid bit about it on my blog. I said I am ashamed to admit I like her show and books. Ashamed indeed.
I like her because she isn’t ashamed, EVER, and brutally honest about EVERYTHING and thinks nothing of it, exact opposite of me so it is kind of refreshing to read someone telling like it is. ya know?

TheNewHealthy February 6, 2011 at 11:22 pm

I miss Mexico!! So glad you had an amazing time! :)

MelissaNibbles February 7, 2011 at 2:34 am

I would definitely live at the beach. I hate the snow and the cold. Marshall is cute keeping his shirt on at the beach. Hahaha!

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) February 7, 2011 at 6:27 am

Beach. But only because I grew up next to the beach and have always loved it. The mountains are amazing as well! I would actually be happier living in either place than the city I am in now, in a few years that is ;)

xo

carolinebee February 7, 2011 at 6:57 am

Beachhh beach beach!!! :D It’s def the 2nd place i go when i’m home in CA, after a fro yo stop perhaps ;D Sounds like a great vacay! There’s a restaurant in LB called La Palapa, never been there but its so fun to say!

enjoyingthechaos February 7, 2011 at 9:14 am

your pics make me long for summer:)

I love me some chelsea..saw her live last year and can’t wait for her to come around again!!

todayilovemylife February 7, 2011 at 9:24 am

Um beach. Hands down. F winter. Glad you’re back!! xoxo

Laura (LunaChickRuns) February 7, 2011 at 10:17 am

I want to book an all inclusice vacation now just for the ice cream cones!

I would pick beach all the way. I love tropical beaches and ocean more than anything.

mary (whats cookin with mary) February 7, 2011 at 11:16 am

Since I live kinda near the ocean, I’d have to say the mountains and there must be some form of fresh water! Living 9 miles from the Pacific, you’d think I’d take advantage… but I havent’ gone IN the ocean in almost 10 years ;P I’ll take dinner on the ocean anytime though and B and I do do that pretty regularly.

Love all the ice cream!

melissadishes February 7, 2011 at 12:31 pm

probably the mountains. Depends on what my beach options are though
;-)

I lived near the beach when I was in college. It gets old after a while, or it did to me. Then again, that was probably directly related to the beach I lived at

Lo February 7, 2011 at 4:33 pm

you look UBER adorable with a cheese head on. I am currently day 3 of snowboarding and its hard. I am 100% better than my first time, have a bruised tail bone the size of Utah, but for some reason going down the “easy” beginner slopes by myself is so rewarding. I am thinking of a trip to Utah next season to really try the hills :)

Mexico looked like a blast for you. When I went they gave out free popsicles…I guess they love frozen treats down there!

xoxo
LoLo

Pure2raw twins February 7, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Love all the beach pictures ! So jealous, I would love to be there right now, haha

And this is a really tough question – I love both beach and mountains, but to really have to pick I would go with the beach.

Andrea@WellnessNotes February 7, 2011 at 9:43 pm

I love the mountains, but I would choose the beach (and I live sort of close to one…).

Caree @ Fit-Mama February 8, 2011 at 9:58 am

can I choose both??! I love both the mountains and the beach!! :)

Jenny February 9, 2011 at 1:08 pm

I have done both. I grew up in Utah but went to school in San Diego / LA. I moved back to Utah for many reasons, but I did come to the conclusion I would much rather live in the mountains and vacation to the beach than the other way around. But don’t get me wrong, I LOVE BOTH!!!