guest post—> monica o.

by Janetha on February 1, 2011

in meals

Hello Meals and Moves Readers! I am Monica and I write a little blog called Run, Eat, Repeat

I have been reading Janetha’s blog for like 9 years. Um, yeah I think she’s been blogging that long.

Anyways, we finally met at Foodbuzz this year, but I have always LOVED the way she eats – high protein, balanced and with some moves thrown in! Side note: My husband thinks it’s called Meals & Moves because she is a migrant and moves a lot. No.

After struggling with my weight for a long time (despite running 3 marathons) and being inspired by Janetha, I’ve decided to up my protein and see if it helps my out of control snacking and ice cream binges. I was vegetarian for years, but decided to start eating chicken again in 2011. Yeah, most people do it the other way around, but whatev.

Since I’ve been meat free for longer than I’ve been meat full Janetha asked me to write about how to eat high protein while keeping vegetarian. So, here we go…

Breakfast is easy to eat vegetarian (note: I’m not saying vegan). I eat egg sandwiches, protein shakes with PB toast or yogurt bowls. If you want something new try French Toast Cups stuffed with low fat ricotta or cottage cheese (Janetha will NOT be trying this since she hates sweet cottage cheese, her loss.).

image image

Lunch and Dinner can be a bit more difficult – especially when you’ve been eating PB&J for a while! So easy and yummy, but not exactly filled with protein. My current lunch faves are egg salad sandwiches or protein packed veggie burgers (check the ingredients to make sure they have 10 grams of the good stuff).

I recently made a lasagna for dinner that included meatless crumbles and cottage cheese for a good protein punch!

Tofu stir frys are predictable, but necessary – especially when made with Trader Joe’s High Protein tofu!

And these days I end my day with a night cap of ice cream made with protein powder. I top it with extra granola for the happiness factor.

I love Meals and Moves, thank you to Janetha for letting me guest post!

Have a great day!!!

Q~
what is your favorite vegetarian form of protein?

Marisa @ Loser for Life February 1, 2011 at 5:48 am

I am discovering that protein helps keep me full longer and the snack attacks away, too!
Thanks for the great suggestions for veg protein. My fave is tofu! Love me some tofu scrambles!

maria @ Chasing the Now February 1, 2011 at 5:54 am

Peanut butter! To be honest I don’t like beans or tofu, so it would be hard for me to get a lot of protein as a veggie.

maria @ Chasing the Now February 1, 2011 at 5:55 am

Also, I’ve been upping my protein because I am being more active and starting to lift weights more often. I notice a HUGE difference in how much longer I stay full with extra protein. HUGE.

Runeatrepeat February 1, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Me too! Totally :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) February 1, 2011 at 6:08 am

i have to say that even though i’m not vegetarian, sometimes i think i could live on yogurt. i LOVE that stuff!

Jessica February 1, 2011 at 6:31 am

I love all of these examples of protein for vegetarians. I am a recent full transition-er into vegetarianism. I’ve been in the process, subconsciously, for years as I never did eat a great deal of meat anyways. I also have to be careful of the amount of soy I consume due to my thyroid problems so I have learned “combo meals”. I’ve learned what foods to pair up to get the full 9 amino acids that make up a full protein. For example, beans+rice. I also have learned that many veggies have lots more protein than we think. Between the lacto and the ovo, the protein found naturally in my veggies and whole grains, I am usually on par with protein but I do supplement with meatless crumbles, veggie “bacon”, tofu, beans, nuts, and protein powders.

Okay, now I’m starving…off to read Monica’s carbaholic post (http://runeatrepeat.com/2011/02/01/sipping-on-the-carbahol-part-ii/ ) again!!! :)

Caitlin February 1, 2011 at 7:08 am

I love protein shakes, tuna, cottage cheese, and chicken. I love protein- I follow a low carb high protein diet and swear by it!

Kathie @ Frugal Fit and Fabulous February 1, 2011 at 7:14 am

I also love protein shakes, tuna, cottage cheese and chicken! Love protein because it keeps me full longer and feeds my muskles! :o)

thedelicateplace February 1, 2011 at 7:18 am

eggssssssss! i’m an egg slut. i’m not vegetarian but i don’t eat dairy/wheat/legumes so while protein isn’t an issue for me, it does make getting a well rounded nutrition profile each day a bit interesting sometimes!

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) February 1, 2011 at 7:24 am

Great post! I’m a huge fan of tempeh as a veg protein source :)

xo

Katy (The Singing Runner) February 1, 2011 at 7:39 am

I am a vegetarian but I make sure I get enough protein in the form of shakes, tofu, veggie burgers, and legumes.

Ashley @ 365 things February 1, 2011 at 7:49 am

Definitely peanutbutter and hummus! Not together, although, I wouldn’t completely rule it out…LOL

Runeatrepeat February 1, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Ooooh! Peanut hummus, I’ve got to get on that!

Sarah February 1, 2011 at 9:01 am

i was so excited to see that monica was the guest poster today! :) i <3 run eat repeat. i guess my favorite veg. proteins are beans beans beans. and hard boiled eggs. in fact, a bit of hummus slathered on a hb egg (cut in 1/2) is delicious! maybe a little weird, but delicious!

edenseats February 1, 2011 at 9:11 am

How did I not meet you at foodbuzz? or maybe I did but dont remember (memory of a goldfish here!). Anyhow, I jumped over to your site to read a few of you posts and I love your writing style!
Anyhow, I’m a carnivore (I’m on the PETA hitlist), but I actually love Boca burgers. I’m a professional chef, but I cant for the life of me cook tofu. But I love to get creative with beans like black eyes peas stewed up with maple syrup and bacon….or yea, but I guess the bacon would kind of ruin the “meatless” point….see, I told you I’m a carnivore!

Runeatrepeat February 1, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Hi! Sorry we didn’t meet at Foodbuzz, but it’s nice to “meet” you now :)

purplebirdblog February 1, 2011 at 11:09 am

Nut butters all the way!

movesnmunchies February 1, 2011 at 11:23 am

oooo good question!!! ummm greek yogurt, nut butter and tofu!

Salah February 1, 2011 at 11:33 am

omg those french toast cups look sooooo bomb!!

Ashley February 1, 2011 at 11:38 am

What’s in the ice cream? It looks delicious!

Ashley February 1, 2011 at 11:41 am

Okay your page finally loaded on my browser! I am making this ice cream stat :)

Mari February 1, 2011 at 11:49 am

Thanks for posting this! I have been a vegetarian for about a year and I am always looking for ways to add protein into my diet.

Caree @ Fit-Mama February 1, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Nut butters or beans are definitely my fave veggie protien!

Jess February 1, 2011 at 1:06 pm

nut butters and eggs:)

cbrady3 February 1, 2011 at 1:27 pm

I love Greek Yogurt & Black Beans. I definitely get my fair share through tofu, tempeh, hummus, and almond butter though.

Erika February 1, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Great post Monica! My favorite vegetarian proteins are eggs, protein powder, and greek yogurt.

eatingalot.com February 1, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Yogurt is often under $1 per pound and requires zero cooking or cleaning. Except for the rare weeks when cottage cheese is $1.25 per pound nothing else comes close

Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life February 1, 2011 at 2:55 pm

I like nuts and butters. Also boca products.

Vanessa February 1, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Peanut butter!!!

happyisthenewpretty February 1, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Greek yogurt, Greek yogurt, Greek yogurt! Yum!

Nice post! =)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 1, 2011 at 4:52 pm

edamame for sure! fast and easy!

and PB is always delish!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) February 1, 2011 at 5:00 pm

My favorite form of vegetarian protein… my… SO many good choices here, but my favorite one has got to be nut butters !! …and I can’t just pick one HAHA your egg slad looks great Monica … Need to put that back on the rotation!

Runeatrepeat February 1, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Thanks! I’m on an egg obsession these days.

Mary (A Merry Life) February 1, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Great post Monica! I’m going to start trying to up my protein too.

I’m a huge fan of greek yogurt and peanut butter.

fittingbackin February 1, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Great guest post! So nice to “meet” you! I”d say Greek Yogurt or eggs – for sure!! Also beans though. Hmmm – that’s hard!

BroccoliHut February 1, 2011 at 6:47 pm

I love cottage cheese too! Tofu is my all time fave protein source.

caronae February 1, 2011 at 9:34 pm

This post just made me hungry for some turkey chili oddly enough….

I like all forms of protein. Fave vegetarian types: eggs, stir-fried tofu, peanut butter, nuts and seeds.

momma b February 1, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Wow Monica thanks for sharing so many great looking “eats”!! That sandwich had my mouth watering!

These guest posts are great so that I can get to know you awesome followers of meals and moves :)

Thanks again xo!