potassi-yum.

by Janetha on January 27, 2011

in meals

hey guys! hope your thursdays have been glorious.

i said i was going to make chicken piccata last night, but i actually ended up making up a simple, new recipe for chicken parmesan. we had our friends kristen and rory over and i wasn’t sure if they would like piccata, so i played it safe with a classic, adding my own healthy twists.

this was so good! everyone else really liked it, too. there were no leftovers.. what does that tell you?

i went ahead and made a recipe page for the chicken parmesan.. click here!

another body for life friendly recipe.. here are the stats:

all healthy eating standards went out the window with dessert, however. we broke out the ice cream maker again.. for the third time this week.

we are addicted!

this time, we made chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream.. i used my cookie dough recipe and froze it for a bit, then crumbled it into small pieces.

what do you know, another winning ice cream flavor!

IMG_7026IMG_7022

we are never buying ice cream again.

this morning i woke up with a sugar hangover. it’s true. they happen.

breakfast was something old (kashi golean) and something new (sliced banana) with a splash of skim milk for good measure.

adding sliced banana to cereal needs to happen more often. i forgot how great it tastes.

lunch was packed with more potassium.. this time in banana sandwich form.

i simply cut a banana down the middle (long ways) and smeared some mighty maple peanut butter on it, sandwiched it back together and sliced it into bite size pieces.

eaten alongside the same old wrap you’ve seen all week.. chicken, feta, hummus, sprouts and lettuce.

i had a lot of errands to run after work and so my snack escaped the camera’s eye.. it was a perfect foods protein bar. not to worry, i will be reviewing these bars soon! and there may or may not (okay, there may) be a giveaway in store.

i am about to make dinner. it’s going to be sesame stir fry and i will finally update the horrible photos on my recipe page. oh man, those were bad.. back in the day when i didn’t know a thing about photography..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i told you i would get around to it.. day #4 of my 30 day challenge (that is going to turn into a 60 day challenge, i am sure, but i will get it done!).

discuss your views on religion.

i could get reallllly detailed about this one and go off on a tangent about my deep thoughts on religion, but honestly, i think religion is something that is SO “to each her own” that i don’t want to go too deep into it. i will, however, tell you a little bit about my history with religion as well as where i am now.

i have mentioned it before, i was raised in a very active LDS (mormon) family.  this is very typical of utah residents, and no.. we are not the religion that is full of polygamists, so please don’t ask how many wives my dad has. the answer is one, and it is my best friend, momma b.

so, all my thoughts on religion are going to have to do with the LDS faith, because i know NOTHING about other religions.

anyway, i grew up going to church every sunday and following the rules of the mormon religion. it wasn’t until i was 16 or 17 that i started to get frustrated with several things about the church. as i got older, i found more and more things about the church that i just didn’t agree with. and this is not because of my teenage rebellion. i simply found that a lot of mormon people i knew were hypocritical and judgmental of others and there were a lot of self righteous members. it made me sad and it made it hard to relate to the religion with so much hypocrisy going on.

i don’t want to rattle off examples, but here is a very, very general one.  in the mormon religion there is something called the “word of wisdom” and it states that you can’t drink coffee. when i lived in london, i was studying abroad with lots of mormon girls. i would drink coffee or tea and they would tell me that it was the worst thing ever, yet they would suck down diet cokes all day long. correct me if i am wrong, but an 8 oz cup of coffee in the morning is a whole lot better for your body than multiple 12 oz cans of soda. i am sure that if the word of wisdom was established at a time that there was soda, it would have stated that you can’t drink it. i still can’t fathom those who judge me for drinking coffee and continue to drink gallons of soda each month. really?

anyway, there are lots more examples, but i am going to leave it at that.. it gives you the general idea of what i went through.

i stopped going to church when i turned 18 (and moved out with my at the time boyfriend, but that is a different story) and that is the same time that i was dabbling in drugs.  eventually, i came to my senses and grew up, but i didn’t go back to the LDS church.  i learned a lot in my younger years and i used those life lessons in a positive way and really turned around to be a great person. i am not trying to sound conceded. i simply am saying that i changed. i learned from my mom that following the rules could be fun. as in.. not driving drunk or doing illegal drugs or shoplifting or.. yeah, i was a bad kid.

it was a struggle for my parents, mainly my dad, to accept the fact that i don’t go to church and that i won’t be going back to the LDS church. all of my siblings went on mormon missions and got married in the mormon temple. when i did not go on a mission OR get married in the temple, i know that was hard for my parents to swallow. i think they felt like they had failed in some way. and sure, when i was younger i can see how they might think that.  but now? not so much. the most important thing they need to see is that just because i don’t go to church doesn’t mean i am not a good person. and i know they know that, but i am sure they still struggle with the fact that i’m not all about organized religion.

it’s hard to go against what your whole family is doing. but it is also impossible to practice a religion that you do not agree with 100%. at the end of the day, i have to do what i believe, not what i feel pressured to do.

ANYWAY, i guess what i am getting at is that i turned my life around and became a better person without religion. i stopped telling lies. i started obeying the law. and i didn’t need to go to church to be a good person. in fact, i know a lot of people who don’t practice an organized religion and are, in my eyes, better people than some LDS folks i know. it’s sad, but it’s true.

my whole family is still LDS and active and i have tons of respect for them and for the religion. i feel like growing up in an LDS household taught me great morals and i have a strong belief in god. i pray all the time and i really believe that prayers are answered. if i am having problems or am sick or something is going on where i need my dad to give me a blessing, i am all for that. if my family wants me to go to church because they are speaking or because of a baby blessing or something like that, of COURSE i will go! i do church activities with my mom all the time. it’s fun. i am not someone who is against the church by ANY means.

i think the most frustrating thing for me is the people that think if you aren’t LDS then you aren’t going to have the same privileges in the afterlife as those who do follow the religion. there are a TON of good people out there and they aren’t LDS. i fully believe that if you are good, honest person and stick to good morals, you will have a great afterlife.

well, this ended up being longer than i wanted it to be. typical. i am such a rambler. hope you enjoyed my thoughts on religion. the next topic is super heavy. i guess i better gear up for that.

have a great night!

1. do you like bananas? what’s your favorite way to eat them?

2. if you want, chime in below with your own thoughts on religion. i would love to hear your story.

Kelly January 28, 2011 at 5:48 am

I grew up Jewish and so is my husband but I honestly don’t believe in organized religion. I feel like it all one God and religion was man made. I don’t understand how someone can say that a Muslim or a Buddist isn’t going to a glorious afterlife simply because they believe something differently than I do. That goes to the root of being judgemental and that is exactly what all religions say not to do! I remember being a little girl (I grew up in the Bible Belt of Texas) coming home and praying to God that if the world ended tomorrow would he please make an exception for me and my family because we weren’t bad people. Yeah…I was 6. So I am completely against organized religion and the way it can make people feel.

Heather January 28, 2011 at 6:05 am

i actually don’t love bananas…i like them in smoothies, but that’s about it! i know…crazy, right?

I’m a Christian, but don’t really believe in denominations or having to live by rules for fear of being punished for being a bad girl. Having a relationship with Jesus is the only thing that is worth having…and it’s through love for Him that religious laws are followed. I believe in Him, that he died on the cross for my sins, and that I’m forgiven and loved. And that’s all I need to know :)

withasideofhope January 28, 2011 at 6:06 am

That chicken parm looks so good! I’m totally going to have to look at the recipe. Oh, and I love the butterfly spoon! So cute!

I love bananas. I eat them everyday. I love having them with peanut butter! Yum! :)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 28, 2011 at 7:12 am

I love the way you dealt with this topic. My mom is Catholic and my dad is Episcopalian- I went to Catholic high school, but was raised Protestant. Personally, I identify far more with the Protestant faith than Catholicism, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t find a lot of it to be very true. What frustrates me most is the hypocrisy of a lot of the Catholics I grew up with, just like you said- I had one friend who was saving herself until marriage, but did a lot of fooling around with random guys anyway. I’m not saying that all Catholics are like that at all, but I really think that slightly less strict religions with more room for interpretation leads people to be more devout in general, and to stop looking for loopholes that allow them to continue behaviors they know aren’t good for them. My faith is not perfect by any means and I can’t judge anyone else’s religion of relationship with God because I’m not in their shoes, but I think I’m in a really good place for me right now.

ally January 28, 2011 at 7:25 am

My grandparents on my dad’s side were strict Catholics so my dad had a very religious upbringing (taught by nun’s at an all boys school, rosery praying every night before bed, etc.). My sisters and I were baptised Catholic and sent to Catholic school to make my grandparents happy. I think, in some ways, the strictness of the religion ruined any real spiritual type relationships I could have had because it’s so based on rules and routines and it always seemed like such a chore to me. When my grandparents died we pretty much stopped going to church altogether. My dad now compares forcing religion on kids to brainwashing, which may be a little extreme but I know where he’s coming from. My sister wants to get her daughter baptised not because she cares about the church, but because she has this irrational fear that if she doesn’t her daughter won’t go to heaven. Janetha I competely agree with you that if you are a good person you will have a good afterlife (if there is such a thing, but I think a discussion of that is way beyond the scope of this comment!), no matter what your beliefs are.

Freckled Foodie January 28, 2011 at 7:29 am

1. lurveeeeeee nanners…they’re super versatile. my faves include banana ss, banana oatmeal, and banana & peanut butta.

2. i was raised in a christian household from the time i was little. we’re nondenomonational, which i love and i’m super contemporary. JESUS LOVES YOU! :)

Katy January 28, 2011 at 7:36 am

Fascinating take on religion…Personally, I love hearing all viewpoints, because I was raised agnostic, but taught to respect all beliefs. So, as a kid, I went to mass, temple, unitarian celebrations and more.

BTW, we are addicted to our ice cream maker, too. I recently make a tart Pinkberry knockoff that was ridiculous, and used greek yogurt as a base.

Megan January 28, 2011 at 9:23 am

OMG Katy! I MUST know how you made tart yogurt in your ice cream maker! In AZ, there are VERY few good tart yogurt places and I LOVE it (especially now that I’m pregnant!!!). Can you please pretty please share your recipe?!?!?!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) January 28, 2011 at 7:37 am

wow I love your posts recently, and feel like I am really getting to ‘know you’ I applaud you for being so open and sharing your experiences with all of us, janetha–for REAL! you are awesome

I grew up in a Jewish household–both my parents are jewish and both sets of grandparents are all holocaust survivors (my father acutally grew up in ISrael) I grew up in a somewhat liberal town, mixed religions but the majority being Jewish. I learned about all religions in school which I believe is SUPER important. To not only learn about what you believe in, but what other religions there are out there as well.

I really didn’t have many non jewish friends until I went to college which was such an eye opening experience, because I found that all of the sudden I was the minorty and I was the first jewish person some of my friends had ever met in their lives. Ever.

I am so proud to be Jewish and definately am somewhat religious, but I would never preach it over another’s beliefs. I respect everyones choice of religion (or not if they don’t believe in anything)

AND…we eat. A lot. Thats the best part!!!!

enjoyingthechaos January 28, 2011 at 7:56 am

I am about to hop on plane just for the ice cream..

Religion is such a touchy subject..I find that those who claim to be the most religious are hypocrites. I go to church every Sunday, started religiously when my husband and I seperated 4 years ago, and have found that I have truly changed as a person. I am not a preachy person and when I go out to dinner I don’t demand that everyone hold hands to pray..I feel that I live by the motto, “do no harm” and I teach my children the same. I have introduced my children to God and try to instill in them good morals and values, to be kind to others and to be kind to themselves..I think that alone will put me in a good place after I pass…

Karen January 28, 2011 at 8:12 am

Thank you for sharing your story about your religion. I was raised Catholic and so was my husband. We were married in a Catholic church and had our children baptized. I have recently started to think about what religion means to me and whether Catholicism is really what I want to practice. I am interested in attending other churches and learning more about other Christian denominations however I don’t think my husband will be very receptive to the idea. I have not approached the subject with him…maybe I should.

Kathie @ Frugal Fit and Fabulous January 28, 2011 at 8:23 am

love bananas..i have to have one every day! :o)

i think we might need to get an ice cream maker. Dh goes through a gallon a week. It would pay itself off very quickly. Ha!

Thank you for sharing your views on religion. it is always such a touchy subject.

lowandbhold January 28, 2011 at 8:30 am

I’m loving these deep posts, actually.

I was raised Methodist, but my parents never discussed God or went to church so I got everything from my Grandma. Eventually I fell into a Southern Baptist church with all of my friends. I was “saved” baptized twice (because they said when I got baptized the first time it was a lie) and totally ruined my relationship with my parents, who weren’t cool with the church thing. It really jaded me and I turned away from God for a long time. Eventually, I realized that I had to do it on my own terms for my own reason and I’m working my way back to my faith. I’m a firm believer in prayer and being a good person – doing unto others as they would do unto you. It’s working for me.

Steph January 28, 2011 at 9:11 am

Good thing I logged out of my other alias….don’t laugh….well at least too hard :)

1) Bananas are best frozen and then pureed in a food processor

2) I completely understand the struggle between parents & their religious expectations of their children. I belong to a more traditional denomination, however what I believe matters the most is that there’s a relationship with God (regardless of the terms of that relationship).

Megan January 28, 2011 at 9:20 am

I was raised Lutheran and was baptised in a Lutheran church. I also was married in a Lutheran church, but we are not official “members”. However, I do love the pastor. He was a math major in college, and totally has a logical, scientific, analytical mind (unlike many pastors). According to the Pastor, faith is personal. His sermons are SO uplifting, that he actually makes me want to go to church. BUT, that being said, I am not very religious at all. I pray all the time, but like someone above me said, I believe that everyone is praying to the same God/Allah/Buddah above. We all call him something different, but it’s all the same. I don’t care what religion you are or are not. If you are a good person, perform good deeds, are compassionate, and live your life in an unselfish manner, then you will end up in a good place. Going to church on a Sunday doesn’t make you a good person. It doesn’t justify that you drink a twelve pack every night. Or that you talk down to your wife. I know many people who subscribe to this philosophy, and it’s quite sad. It’s like they don’t get the “message” from the sermons. Clearly I could go on and on about this too!

On a side note, we are having our first baby in June, and our trying to decide if we want to baptise or christen him… BIG decisions!

C. January 28, 2011 at 9:32 am

1. I need the ice cream in my life.
2. I LOVE your mom’s comments! they are so sincere and from the heart.
3. I totally dig your point of view. Growing up Baptist, I felt the same way and as a grew older and partied a little too hard, I drifted away from that. Baptist’s are full of hypocrites too, but also full of some amazing people. Just not my thing. I do believe in the power of prayer and that there is a higher being, just haven’t figured the rest out.
4.I am totally loving your P.O.V. on these topics.

Shellie January 28, 2011 at 9:36 am

Yesssss I love bananas! Love banana sandwiches.

I’ve got a story for ya with religion! I grew up “Baptist” but hardly ever went to church.. I was raised to believe in God but was never really that religious. After I married my husband (who was also raised Baptist), I noticed that he was a lot more religious than I was in terms of studying the scriptures, etc.. he tried to get me to study and I would always push him away. Well, he was “searching” for a church in 2008 after I had our first baby and he ordered a free Book of Mormon. Long story short: I hid in the bedroom when they first came, lol but later my heart was softened – as they always say. Converting has been the best thing to happen to me. I’ve grown leaps and bounds in great ways since I’ve converted. I understand where you’re coming from about the LDS people who act like they are better than everyone else and judge others but this whole experience for me and the LDS people I’m around here — are incredible. I took the Words of Wisdom and used it to help me change my eating habits and that also helped me lose weight in 2009! You mentioned about good people having a good afterlife – yes!!! Of course we will all be judged of our works but everyone gets a chance to learn The Gospel even in the afterlife. That makes me terribly sad as well to hear LDS members are judging others on coffee/tea/whatever because yes, we can follow the Words of Wisdom but it’s our own personal choice. That’s the beauty of it… we have free agency! We all have our flaws tho and I hope that those people who are judging others will take a good look in the mirror at themselves instead of pointing fingers at others. It’s a shame that others get driven away from the LDS church because of others judging and with words – I’ve seen it a lot actually. I just know when going to church that I hear and see things that inspire and motivate me to want to be a better person and I know I wouldn’t get that kindof inspiration If I didn’t go so the church has done so much for me. I pray that all may just focus on doing good and loving one another! That’s what life should be allllll about because that’s what matters the most.

Kate January 28, 2011 at 9:45 am

I LOVE bananas! I’m bananas for bananas. Okay, not that much. I love chocolate dipped/covered bananas, and I love banana ice cream. Yum! It’s easy to want to make banana bread with bananas that are starting to age too quickly, but I like to cut them up into slices and freeze them for smoothies. Then you don’t have to use as much ice in smoothies, and that’s when the bananas are the most flavorful, so it’s a win/win! yippee!!

Also, I made the sweet potato shepherd’s pie last night and LOVED it! Leftovers for lunch today! yay!

Bean Blog! January 28, 2011 at 9:47 am

I guess this clarifies our convo on religion as of last time we talked, funny how fitting the challenge was to that :P I guess you know my opinion now on religion is live your life in the moment and enjoy yourself … no use dwelling on what someone else did, or some kind of bad karma that is going to be “passed down from generation on generation and cursed for the rest of life” hahha , what evz i guess!

So i know your probably way sick of my two cents as ive been a gab case this past week – but bananas are the GREATEST in a chocolate protein powder+avocado+ice shake. Its like an ice cream. Seriously.
another great thing, is banana pean ut butter spread, You blend the nana and PB and spread it on anything – toast, dip your pancake/waffles into it… fill your egg white french toast dumplings with them…. yeah i love nanas. :)
I wanted to ask you one thing -how do you make the “list” of recipes and pages for them? on the meals page i know there is a list, but do you create like a post or something with the recipe ad just tag it to your meals page?
I cant figure it out!

janetha January 28, 2011 at 10:04 am

I make a whole new recipe page and each recipe page is a subpage of the meals page and i add links to each page on the master page! they are “pages” not “posts” in wordpress.

Kate January 28, 2011 at 9:50 am

Oh, and one more thing about bananas. There is a place on 400 South in SL called Lunaberry and they make banana nutella crepes. (They also make strawberry nutella crepes, but this post was about bananas). That is also a great way to eat bananas. :)

janetha January 28, 2011 at 10:05 am

i have been to lunaberry a zillion times! love it.

Heather January 28, 2011 at 10:14 am

In my family everyone has their own personal faith. It is pretty private. I only learned a couple of years ago that my mom believes in god.

In elementary school I felt left out because most of my friends went to church and asked my parents if we could go. They tried a few different places out before settling on one that met our family needs We all went together for four years, until we made a family decision to stop going.

Going to church as a family was a great thing to experience and I incorporated what I learned into my own belief system!

J.Lynn January 28, 2011 at 10:23 am

Okay, firstly, I wanna know why I have never seen the bite-sized, peanut butter-filled, banana idea until now! Well, actually I’m grateful I found it now :) I can’t wait to try it!

Annnd secondly, I know exactly where you’re coming from with the whole religion thing. I was baptized into the Lutheran church; I attended the church every Sunday and on holidays. The hypocrite when I was younger was…my mother. Then, as I got older I realized the majority of church-goers were hypocrites and they were judgmental! I was so turned off by religion and I haven’t looked back since.

I delved into a rebellion of sorts-drugs, sex, alcohol-but I grew out of it at a young age and I think I’m a much better person now than I would’ve been following an organized religion. I think it’s easier to seek a more vibrant and giving life, not through attending church, but through experiencing life as it is and making the most of it by being a good person.

Anyway, love your blog! And the 30 day challenge :)

Melissa S January 28, 2011 at 10:30 am

Awesome, awesome, awesome post. I can really relate to having to go against your family to find yourself and do what is right for you. Its never an easy thing to do, but I think in some ways it allows us to grow up a bit. I’m really proud of you and your journey with finding your own path. Religion is a very hot topic so I’m sure you went back and forth on whether or not to post this. But it rocked. And it tells your readers to be who they are inside and out.

emily (a nutritionist eats) January 28, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Such interesting topics being brought up! I love it!
My parents were both raised very strict Catholic and so my Dad does not really believe in religion (he always teases that he put in his time because he literally went to church 5-6 days a week). My Mom has always attended a very liberal church, which we went to growing up. Thankfully, my parents have always let us believe what we want and have never really forced or been disappointed if we don’t go to church now. I think because their families were SO strict, they never wanted to do that to their kids. I definitely believe in higher power and I think churches can be a great form of community, but I just haven’t found the right one yet.

Jen January 28, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Great post again!

Genevieve January 28, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Hi Janetha, I read your blog often but have never commented. I loved your post on religion though, so I had to say so. I think the most important thing to uphold in the whole “organized religion” conversation is a sense of respect. You may not agree with another person’s beliefs, but you have to respect them. I grew up in Idaho and had many LDS friends, although I am not LDS myself. I did/still do disagree with a lot of the principles the church operates on, but I have always thought that the religion does an amazing job of emphasizing the importance of family, values and morals. I am in my late twenties and just now beginning to explore my faith, so it’s very interesting to see where others are at and how they have gotten there. Great post!

Ashley L January 28, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I got really excited when I saw this. And it was fabulous by the way.

Then I scrolled as fast as I could to find Mama B’s comment. You have the best mama ever! Her comment the previous challenge made me cry.

runrettarun January 28, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I love that you are posting BFL friendly recipes! I need ideas. I love bananas. Used to hate them but they really are so versatile. I used to hate veggies too and now I don’t. :)

Jennifer January 28, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I grew up in a Methodist church that I felt went through the motions. I started going to RUF in college and found people that studied the Bible, took it as truth, and had a relationship with God…how refreshing! I am a Christian now and have found the same. I have found so much joy through the Word.
One thing I want to say re: hypocrites. Yes, some people are hypocrites, especially if they aren’t asking forgiveness from those they sinned against. All of us, however, sin! And that does not make us hypocrites – just sinners. Christians aren’t perfect. Good news, though, is that Jesus died to completely COVER that sin. There is freedom there and a peace that baffles the pre-Christian me.
Thanks for being brave and posting your views on religion. Love your blog and hearing about your life!

Nicole C. January 28, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Love bananas, straight up. I haven’t really thought about other ways to eat them. The frozen chocolate kind are tasty too. Your ice cream looks delectable! Makes me want to get the Kitchenaid attachment, you know since I have so many ;)

Hmm, religion eh? Welp, I was baptized Catholic, had first communion and then in high school I was confirmed into the church. I don’t go now though. Since i went to a private catholic high school i said that I really didn’t neeed to go since i had religion class. I think one of my best friends sort of pushed away because of the fact I didn’t go to church, no matter what religion i joined. I thought about going randomly or in times of confession to the priest about wrong doings or just when i would like someone to pray for me. It’s sad though because I feel it is SO repetitive and the same thing is spoken each time i went i knew exactly what the priest would say, when to stand, when to sit, what to repeat. Just wasn’t for me. My Mom goes every Sunday and is a Sunday school teacher too. I find that God has better things to do and others to help rather than hearing my needs. SO, I often talk to my Aunt (the one who was killed that I spoke about in the last serious post). I always tell her that if she were here my life would be different and i would have always had the confidence i have been trying to find my whole life. If my prayers are strong enough then she can deliver them for me but I’d rather God help those who need it more than me.

katecooks January 28, 2011 at 5:13 pm

i think your religious beliefs are great. i am catholic, and was genuinely surprised to find that people had issues with the catholic church. why? because my church in particular, and my family, only taught an over-arching message – being good to others and yourself is the #1 most important thing. unlike other catholics i know who might have been taught something more rigid, my experience with my religion was one of tolerance and doing/standing up for what’s right. i am happy to practice that message today and that’s what religion remains to me!

Jem January 28, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Your dinner looks amazing! will definitely make it soon. I made your chicken/broccoli casserole for my boyfriend after you said Marshall loved it, and my boyfriend is OBSESSED with it!! He always requests it now and I showed him your blog (and gave the credit to you for the awesome recipe!)

I wish I could eat icecream then I’d be all over those creations too!

I was never baptised or brought up in a religious home so I don’t have much to add regarding religion as I don’t know much about any of them. In some ways i’m grateful for being given the chance to explore whichever ones I wanted to but not having a religious foundation I was never inclined to really involve myself in any as I don’t have a great understanding. The most religious belief I have is ‘karma’!

kissmybroccoli January 29, 2011 at 9:48 am

Homemade chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream?! Shut the front door! That is my fave flavor!

I enjoyed hearing your thoughts on religion. I have gone back and forth since I was a teenager between going to church every time the door is open and not going at all. I think sometimes I just feel guilty about not going to church and so I dive in head first and overwhelm myself. I do believe in God and the power of prayer, but I’m not as big on gathered worship. I like to learn things for myself instead of being told how to interpret the Bible. I may not be the poster child of a model Christian, but I have been saved and I believe I am going to Heaven when my time here is done.

Vanessa January 29, 2011 at 10:35 am

What you need to realize is that it’s not about a religion. It’s about a relationship with Jesus. Being good will not get you eternal life. Nor will being a Morman, Catholic, Baptist… I can go to church every Sunday, read my Bible, do the right thing, but it will not get me salvation. You have to confess and believe in your heart that Jesus died,rose again, and is coming again. That’s my view. Sorry so long, I just love Jesus cause he loves me!!

Silvara January 29, 2011 at 5:17 pm

LOVE bananas :D

It’s really quite interesting to hear all the diff views on religion – I was brought up Hindu but as I grew odler I moved away from a lot of the ritualistic parts of the religion and bits that didn’t make any sense to me but were done in the name of ‘tradition’ or ‘culture’. To be fair it wasn’t my parent’s fault for trying to teach me this but what they knew and were wanting to pass on after they came to a new country (Australia) from India.

Australia, unless you go right out to the outback it a very multicultural place – so growing up with diff religions and cultures was very normal. Christianity is still the main one though but school always taught us about every religion which was kinda cool.

My parents while quite religious themselves have only ever asked me that I keep a corner of my heart for God and never forced me to believe that it had to be the Hindu way or else.

I married a Christian (actually Roman Catholic) and we had a mixed Hindu/Christian ceremony and it to be honest it wasn’t even very religious at all. We are both more spiritual than religious which makes it work – we celebrate both Hindu and Christian festivals – go to both temple and chuch when we want to and never feel like religion has or ever will be imposed on us.

As I grow older still and start thinking about the possibility of a family in the future, I find that I want to back and revisit all the practices in mine and my husband’s childhood but really try and understand the meaning behind it all, so that when/if I do have kids I can at least let them know the purpose of doing anything and for the joy of it.

I believe that God is one, we just all have different names for Him/Her and different ways of showing our devotion – I don’t think it makes a difference what religion you are. If you can take the values and lessons from your faith and become a better person because of that, then you have already won :)

Susan January 30, 2011 at 10:08 pm

I’m catching up, even though you’re on vacay I still feel the need to comment! I know absolutely nothing about the Mormon religion so I really enjoyed hearing your thoughts on it! I grew up Anglican, which is sort of like a more relaxed version of Catholic. But very rooted in English traditions (my family is Scottish). My mom taught Sunday school growing up and it was a regular part of my life until I was in middle school. But when my parents divorced, we all stopped going regularly. My mom always said church was more of a social thing for our family. It’s how we met people in our area and created some life-long friends. But I think we ALL sort of fell out of the “church culture” when the drama in my family went down. With that said, I am still a very spiritual person to this day. Just on my own terms.

Lisa January 31, 2011 at 5:00 am

Hi Janetha,

Growing up in a JW household I had doubts from a very young age that even the “elders” of the religon could not clarify for me. The biggest doubt for me was that if god was such an understanding, forgiving, loving being how could he expect all of civilization to follow one religion and the rest perish. It was all very black or white with so many contradictions. This lead me to investigate other religions to see if I “fit in” or felt god somewhere else. I went to a baptist church (jesus karokee style), a roman catholic (stand up, sit down, didn’t know what to do next) and an anglican where I came to the same conclusion and my questions remained unanswered. The only place where I began to find peace was when I started going to a buddist temple. But I wouldn’t describe it as finding god, it was more like a good blueprint to live you life. I think from all of these experiences I came to the conclusion that life and death and god are all alot less complicated than we humans make it out to be. We have to be satisfied with our lives, whether that means not breaking the law or dedicating oneself to helping others. We can create our own “hell” and if we think we are going there we probably will. I don’t have nearly any friends who grew up with an environment similar to me as I am not in contact with any of the JW’s now and often people put a stigma on people who have left or continue in such a religion. Thank you for telling your story.