RIP, flat iron.

by Janetha on January 25, 2011

in meals,moves

wow. i am blown away at all the comments in my post about drugs & alcohol. like.. blown away. consider me and dorothy (and her little dog, too) best friends, because i have been whisked away to oz.

i was really skeptical about posting what i did, only because the content was not what you guys typically come here to see. i assumed the lengthy words would go unread. thank you for the response and helping me realize that there ARE other topics that you like to hear about. and, above all, thank you for sharing your OWN stories. it was incredible to hear where each and every one of you stand on the issue. i actually wanted to reply to each comment individually—that is how moved i was by the responses.  but, alas, i don’t have 78 extra hours before i leave on my trip, so a big huge public THANK YOU will have to suffice for now. i hope you understand.

yesterday was a heavy post. i checked my 30 day challenge and saw that topic #4 is also a pretty deep one. i have made the executive decision to skip the challenge today and just post whatever. hey, this is my blog and i am the CEO.. i can do things like that! i figure as long as i knock out all 30 topics in order, the challenge is still legit.

SO—let’s talk about today.

things started out on the wrong foot. i have stick-straight hair, but sometimes i decide to go to sleep with my hair wadded up into a ponytail-bun-like thing and then in the morning i just wash my body and my bangs and not the rest of my hair. then i flat iron the rest of my hair because it is clean but it is kinky. that’s an oxymoron if i ever heard one, aye?

anyway, today i was doing my regular routine.. shower, makeup, blow dry the bangs.. then i pick up my flat iron (which i had turned on about 10 minutes prior).. stone cold.

what?!

ugh.

my trusty old (haggard) flat iron that i have had for six years decided to call it quits.

we have been through a lot!

the purple paint is worn off.

i have repaired the cord with electrical tape in many places.

and this bad boy burned many a different patches of carpet it its day.

and now it doesn’t work.

perfect.

my solution to the kinky hair mess i had on my hands?

BEANIE!

gotta love utah in the winter just for the sake of wearing beanies. they are not necessarily work appropriate, but this beanie and braid combo made me look a whole lot more presentable than my kinky hair sitch.

glad i could share that experience with you. moving on…

meals

breakfast: 1 cup chobani greek yogurt + handful of nature’s path ancient grains granola + glob of mighty maple peanut butter.

i missed this breakfast! i just cracked open another bag of ancient grains granola. hopefully it isn’t gone by the end of the week. i am going to keep the bag at work so i won’t be able to sneak random handfuls at night. i know, i am clever.

lunch: mediterranean wrap (chicken + hummus + feta + spring greens + sprouts) & clementines & adora calcium disc.

same as yesterday, only with chicken this time instead of turkey. oh, and i put it on a plate rather than eating it straight off the classy tin foil.

clementines are straight up addicting.

i always look forward to my daily calcium.. this also curbs any sweet tooth that i have after lunch.

snack: 2 wasa crackers + avocado + cottage cheese + black pepper.IMG_6847

oh.. wondering why there is a bite missing?

wonder no more.

this combo is incredible! try it, you will like it.

moves

cardio day at the gym.

15 minutes of treadmill intervals:

• 1 min @ 6 MPH
  • 1 min @ 6.5 MPH
  • 1 min @ 7 MPH
  • 1 min @ 7.5 MPH
  • 1 min @ 8 MPH
  • repeat twice

15 minutes on the bike:

• resistance=10
  • distance=3.5 miles

5 minutes of stretching.. i am super sore from jackie yesterday!

meals

dinner: sweet potato shepherd’s pie.

not the most photogenic meal, but it was insanely delicious!  we are talking.. WAY, WAY delicious. marshall and i both went back for seconds. plus, it is body for life friendly. recipe coming tomorrow!

dessert: LEMON chobani.

i wanted ice cream (again) for dessert, but we forgot to freeze the ice cream cylinder. i should probably forget to do this more often to avoid gaining 25 pounds from ice cream consumption alone…

instead, i opted for the latest and greatest flavor from chobani.

people.. this one is a winner. let me tell you. it rivals pineapple! perfect ending to my day.

so, i hope you guys have been enjoying my breakfast/lunch/snack/dinner/dessert format of posting. these are the five meals i typically eat in a day and it is what works for me. i couldn’t imagine going from lunch to dinner without a snack. i am like a third grader and need my after school work snack! i look forward to it daily.

oh.. back to the flat iron. here’s a story. i was going to go buy a new one after the gym, but i left my wallet at home. bummer. so, i went home and made dinner. while my shepherd’s pie was baking, i left to go buy a new flat iron. i pulled into the sally beauty supply parking lot.. only to find that i didn’t remember to take my wallet with me! what? really?! ugh. i blame it on the genes of my mom.. i called her to complain and tell her that it was her fault. she said that, in light of yesterday’s post, it was probably the drugs that made me so forgetful. touché.

anyway, once i went home, got my wallet and went BACK to the store, i discovered that my beloved flat iron is no longer made. not a surprise, since it was 6 years old. they didn’t even have one like my old one. you see, mine was an “X” shape with a clampy handle. all the ones in the stores are a “V” shape. that could take some getting used to. plus, they didn’t have the right width or length. sigh. sometimes i hate change.

so.. i did what any normal person would do. i ended up buying three different ones.

i am going to try them out and return two of them.

and now, my friends, you know WAY more than you wanted to about my flat iron situation. you’re welcome.

1. what is one of your favorite snacks? how many snacks do you eat a day? lately i am loving english muffins with cream cheese and jam. as you’ve seen.

2. how often do you wash your hair? random question, i know.. but all this flat iron talk got me thinking about it. i typically wash my hair 4 or 5 times a week.. but i shower twice a day. once in the morning and once after the gym.

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) January 25, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Love your cheeky look in that photo with the adorable beanie/braid combo

Love mom’s touche comment- go mom!

Love the fact that you’re like me and if you didn’t buy all 3 at once, you would have stood there for an hour hmmm’ing and haaaa’ing over which one is the best to get. BTW if you love something very very much, go out and buy 3 of them, because it’s guaranteed to be discontinued.

I have a curling iron that has a label that says something like “Do not sleep with curling iron”. LOVE.

Love you. How’d the cc ice cream turn out?

Vanessa January 25, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Oh man I have had many a times where I forgot my wallet. I was in line in Target once and the lady read me my total and I had an “Oh Crap” moment. Luckily I live 10 minutes away and was able to run home and get my wallet and the lady put aside my stuff.

I agree. Clementines are so addicting and I am so intrigued by that lemon flavored Chobani. I need to get me some of that.

Stefanie January 25, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Avocados + cottage cheese on crackers sounds like best combo ever! Two of my favorite foods right there. Actually three if you count crackers!

I never flat iron my hair–it’s stick straight. But I have a Bed Head curling iron which I love–so maybe you’ll like that straightener?

I need to find the lemon chobs! :)

edenseats January 25, 2011 at 11:30 pm

O Im sorry about the iron! I have a CHI and its $$$ but I’ve also had it for three years and its in top form and doesnt fry my hair. I guess I’m like you and wash my coif 4-5 times a week. I think every person has a different hair texture and an appropriate “washing” frequency. My mom had curly curly hair and washed it like twice a week (but showered like 4x a day!).
How amazing are clementines? I had clementine gelato when I was in Milan. Yumgasim!
Lastly, I’m glad you felt comfortable opening up on your last post. It is very much YOUR blog and thats why I read it!

purplebirdblog January 25, 2011 at 11:37 pm

“she said that, in light of yesterday’s post, it was probably the drugs that made me so forgetful. touché.”

Ha! Your mom is made of awesome. :)

You are stinkin’ ca-yoot in a beanie.

I keep picking up that granola at Costco and putting it back. I need to stop that shiz and just get it.

Can’t wait for the shep’s pie recipe, and I can’t wait for your flat iron review! ;)

marisa January 25, 2011 at 11:42 pm

I am laughing outloud at Mom’s comment. That was a quick one on her part! xo

I am going to have to try to find some lemon Chobani. Lemon yogurt is my favorite… I kind of feel like I am eating lemon bars=dessert, right?

And as if you wanted to buy another flat iron… I think I saw one at Costco? Or you could go to the mall kiosk where the creepy salesguy tries to straighten your hair and gets all touchy feely. No thanks.

I liked reading your post yesterday and filled in the holes of the story. I have to say that being the oldest, I was never tempted to even try anything. I was scared to bring home bad grades (worse than a B)… forget anything illegal! And the guy spilling beer on my head at the Jazz game sealed the deal. Now I just like to go to company parties and watch all the the funny drunk people dance.

Kirsty Girl January 26, 2011 at 2:02 am

That Shepards pie sounds amazing!

I have the same ice cream maker as you. My hubby has ice cream addict tendencies si I take a big tub of plain yogurt and some fruit and put that in the ice cream maker. Potential weight gain problem solved. And you can have it for breakfast. It’s not creamy but we like it.

MelissaNibbles January 26, 2011 at 2:50 am

Gah! Sorry about the flat iron. I love mine and would die if it died. It’s a Chi and is amazing!!

My favorite snack is 2% Fage mixed w/Kashi GoLean Crunch. The 2% is so much better than the fat free. People are missing out.

I wash my hair every day because if I don’t, it looks like I have bed head because it’s so short. I only really flat iron if I’m going out. I leave it curly/messy for work because no one sees me.

movesnmunchies January 26, 2011 at 4:15 am

oo ilove cottage cheese combos for snacks!! i love making em sweet! i eat like 3 snacks a day?… morning afternoon and nighttime!

1970kikiproject January 26, 2011 at 4:24 am

love the beanie! i’m a bigtime knitter so always enjoy seeing knitted accessories/sweaters etc – very cute!
fave snack is apple+peanut butter. but that avacado+cottage cheese looks fantastic!
wash my hair every second day but shower daily!
just love your blog/writing style, janetha, because of the variety…reading feels just like a visit with you. please keep up with the stories/meals n moves/randomness!
good luck with the flatiron try-outs!

Lauren January 26, 2011 at 4:43 am

Get out! My flat iron just broke the other day too! It was definitely time to go but I was shocked at how expensive these little tools are now a days. I ended up paying over $50 for a new one, and that was considered the “low end” model.

I can’t WAIT to try the new Chobani flavors. The lemon is getting me all excited.

Love you lady!

janetha January 26, 2011 at 10:24 am

i know, right? i came home and marshall looked at my receipts and was like, “they cost HOW much?!”

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate January 26, 2011 at 4:49 am

Now you might be sneaking random handfuls at work ;)

I picked up a big of that granola over the weekend. AMAZING stuff!

Katie January 26, 2011 at 4:53 am

I bet you’ll like the generic Chi. I have a Chi and it’s awesome. I’ve had it for about 4 years now.

My favorite snack is a protein frosty. English muffins with pb and jelly are good too. :) I typically eat 2-4 snacks throughout the day…but honestly, all of my meals are kinda like snacks. I just eat so many mini meals (6-7)!

lindsay January 26, 2011 at 5:01 am

i’m holding out for that sweet potato shepards pie!! Dang. And you two are such beanie babes. Me, not so much.
LC

Blog is the New Black January 26, 2011 at 5:08 am

I would die if my straightner died at a crucial moment. If you were just going to work and can hide the hair with a hat, that’s so much better, though! I have gotten SO lazy about drying/straightening my hair for work… I just throw it up wet which I used to be way too vain to do! I wash my hair about 5 times a week, but shower every day. I dig dry shampoos and it’s less damaging on the hair. I have been digging clementines lately! I’ve been eating them like candy!

chicfitness January 26, 2011 at 5:10 am

I typically eat three snacks a day…or that’s what I try to stick to…I’ve been guilty of too many BLTs lately…
I only shampoo my hair twice a week. I shower once or twice a day but on days that I don’t shampoo I just use conditioner. My hair gets very frizzy and unmanageable if I wash it too much.
QUESTION: Do you know if I can buy the ancient grains granola online? There is no Costco near me :-(

Kelly January 26, 2011 at 5:21 am

You need a CHI flat iron. Those things are uh-mazing!!!

Ashley @ 365 things January 26, 2011 at 5:23 am

Definitely invest in a Chi. My sister has been using one for YEARS and loves it. Her hair still looks super healthy and she uses it every day.

My fave snack is probably a small bowl of oats with pb. Original, I know. I wish I liked cottage cheese, but that long with coconut I just can’t do it…

Where’d ya get those presliced, chunks of chicken or did you grill them and cut em up yourself? I haven’t been able to find any good premade chicken anywhere in the stores. The frozen kind ends up being really spongy and gross and not real ‘chicken breast’ you know?

I wash my hair every other day because I *hate* drying it. The days I don’t wash it, I put it up in a clip or ponytail and call it a day. What’s funny is I have only certain clothes I wear on the days I wear my hair up. Some clothes look better on me when my hair is down vs. up. I’m sure that’s probably just all in my head, but whatev. I wonder if my co-workers have noticed this about me through the years…haha, oh well if they have!

janetha January 26, 2011 at 1:02 pm

I just buy the pre-cooked kind at costco.. kirkland brand!

Ashley @ 365 things January 26, 2011 at 2:31 pm

I swear, what does costco *not* have. Added to the list… thanks! :)

Heather January 26, 2011 at 5:26 am

Cute beanie!
I eat 2 to 3 snacks a day (ok, more like 3). I was my hair almost every day – I sweat too much when I work out not to! :)

Teri [a foodie stays fit] January 26, 2011 at 5:40 am

Clean but kinky. I love it. hahahaha.

I wash my hair 2, MAYBE 3, times a week. I’m not even kidding.

Love the beanie look on you!

marissa January 26, 2011 at 5:51 am

i wash my hair every other day. my hair gets greasy fast, especially in the summer. in the summer, i have to wash my hair every day. in the summer, i don’t even use conditioner every time i wash it because it gets so oily so quickly.

Heather January 26, 2011 at 6:05 am

i adore that beanie! my flat iron is a Chi, which i love…and i can feel that it’s on its last legs. i think i might cry when i have to toss it! the best snack in the world right now is an apple and peanut butter…i’ve had it every day for the past 2 weeks! sad, right?

coffeeandthepaper January 26, 2011 at 6:07 am

My iron looked exactly like yours before it crapped out on me. Duck tape galore. And buying three? Totally normal. You look gorgeous with straight hair so it’s natural you would want the best product!

Snacks? It depends. Sometimes it’s only two or three, other times it’s five or six. It usually depends on if I’m at school or not.

And I shower daily, but I only wash my hair three times a week (sometimes 2!). I don’t have very greasy hair (in fact, it got less greasy when I stopped washing it so much), so on the final day I just use a little dry shampoo or baby powder and I’m good to go!

withasideofhope January 26, 2011 at 6:14 am

I would die if my flat iron broke! I cannot live without my trusty flat iron. I have REALLY thick, curly/wavy hair that I always wear straight so I need the iron. I would wear it curly/wavy more often but it ends up getting really frizzy within an hour of it drying. I swear by my Babyliss Pro flat iron. I used to use Chi but Babyliss is SO much better! It makes your hair super straight and shiny! I love it! :)

Lindsey January 26, 2011 at 6:35 am

FIRST EVER COMMENT! I’ve been reading your blog for a while now and just love it. Today is the day I picked to comment because my best friend from all the way back in 7th grade, turned college roommate, had the EXACT same flat iron you did (for a lot of years too). Like you, she also mourned its death and never quite found another flat iron like it. I’m anxious to hear which one you like the best. I have the generic CHI iron (except mine is pink) and really like it..I think I bought it at TJ MAXX for a super cheap price compared to what a CHI costs. Flat iorn tidbit: I really hate when one or two hairs gets stuck in the iron, know what I mean? Anyway..please share your thoughts because as soon as my iron breaks I’ll need your research to back up my next purchase.

As for the questions. I wash my hair every day. It is really thin and fine so gets yucky very fast. And for the other question…my life is a snack! I graze all day. By stretching my lunch throughout the workday, I avoid the hunger pangs of 2pm that always seem to hit. I like to make sure to eat lots of small meals..keeps me going. If I had to name a favorite snack it would have to be (recently at least) yogurt (fruity or vanilla) mixed with a little bit of cottage cheese with a sliced up banana mixed in, topped off with a sprinkle of cinnamon. YUM!

Love you love the blog love the clothes love the recipes. Happy Wednesday!

janetha January 26, 2011 at 1:03 pm

hey lindsay! i loved your first comment ever :) thank youuuu

jules524 January 26, 2011 at 6:53 am

giiirrrrrrl! return all three and get a chi. you will not be dissapointed. it heats up in 3 seconds and straightens like a dream. trust.

i wash my hair every day because my hair is thin and prone to grease.

Elina (Healthy and Sane) January 26, 2011 at 6:54 am

Haha, I totally buy several and then keep one… all the time. Sometimes you have to try things! (Btw, read your previous post – loved everything you shared. All these things make you who you are… but wiser ;) ).
PPS, I’m hosting a giveaway for a healthy cookbook. Check it out if you’re interested :)

Green Dog Wine January 26, 2011 at 6:59 am

OH NO!! Sorry about your flat iron! :( Remember how flat-iron-handicap I was with that thing when you let me use it in San Fran? :) Now I feel bad for every getting mad at it! :P love ya and miss ya friend!

Erika January 26, 2011 at 7:01 am

1. I usually eat anywhere from 1-3 snacks a day. My favorites are protein/fiber bars, yogurt, and apples w/ PB.
2. I usually wash my hair 3 times a week or every other day. I have really, really thick hair. I use the Chi for a straightener – I’ve had it for 4 years now and it’s still going strong! :)

Kristen January 26, 2011 at 7:03 am

I had a chi for years until it died. I now have a Brocato virbrastraight. It was some serious $$, but totally worth it!

I snack on that damn granola when I have it! I have been holding out on my costco visit because I have no control when it comes to nature’s path :)
I also love Clif bars. The white chocolate macadamia are my favorite!
Thank you for sharing all that you did yesterday. :)
kristen

Kristen January 26, 2011 at 7:04 am

I also love Clif bars. The white chocolate macadamia are my favorite!
Oh- I wash my hair EVERY day, it is necessary!
Thank you for sharing all that you did yesterday. :)
kristen

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) January 26, 2011 at 7:09 am

Aaack I really need to try that lemon chobs… even if they hurt my stomach… looks SO good!

I usually have two snacks per day. One in the afternoon, lately it’s been an Amazeball a la the Fitnessista, which you NEED to try-they’re protein packed! or brown rice cake with hummus and avocado and sea salt… another amazing combo. And one in the evening, after dinner… really it’s dessert. I like some of my raw cacao balls or a home made granola bar with almond butter :)

And I have supah-thick, curly hair, the Chi iron is the BEST flat iron I have found.

xo

Holly January 26, 2011 at 7:41 am

I have short hair and I wash it every day — I do shower twice per day some days depending on when I workout.

I love that you bought 3 flat irons — something I would definitely do!

I usually eat a morning snack and an afternoon snack: PBJ on wasa crackers, nuts/fruit, oatmeal/banana, carrots/hummus, etc. Nothing too fancy, just something small to keep me satisfied until my next meal.

Freckled Foodie January 26, 2011 at 8:01 am

mm! can’t wait to try the new chobs.

i’ve done the SAME thing before. except not with a flat iron:)

i think it was a kitchen appliance? haha.

i have one that i never use! coulda mailed it to ya ;)
lol

xo.

Sarah January 26, 2011 at 8:19 am

eeps! i won a case of lemon chobani from a twitter contest a couple weeks ago & it’s supposed to arrive TODAY! now i really can’t wait for it! :)

i usually snack once a day, after i get home from work. i like crackers with laughing cow cheese, or apple + pb!

i have stick straight hair too, and i always get asked why the heck i even have a flat iron. but it’s for situations that you described!! no one ever gets it..

Salah January 26, 2011 at 8:28 am

lemon chiobani??? sounds bomb!!!

Lindsay January 26, 2011 at 8:29 am

I am in search of a new flat iron, so keep us posted on which one works out!!

Allison @ Food For Healing January 26, 2011 at 8:36 am

i usually snack lightly more in the evening, during the day i bring a small amount of food. i like fruit to snack on, and yogurt. havent really been on a kick of anything in particular lately though.

i wash my hair either every day or every second day. when its every second day, its because i was too tired and lazy haha

a taste of health with balance January 26, 2011 at 8:38 am

i can get away with washing my hair 3 times a week- its super thick and curly and doesn’t really get to greasy (esp in the winter). i actually realllly need a need flat iron and i forget which one mommapea uses because i knows shes mentioned it before on her blog.. but i need a good one! mine is from 2002 im surprised it didn’t die yet!

dana @ my little celebration January 26, 2011 at 8:50 am

That’s so exciting that you leave for your tip so soon! I’ll admit I’m jealous, but I hope you guys have a blast on your vacay!

1) My favorite snack combo is probably either peanut butter on a graham cracker or an apple with a handful of raw almonds. I probably eat 2 snacks a day.

2) I wash my hair almost everyday b/c it’s fine and has a tendency to get greasy fast…

Holly at Greek Yogurt and Apple Slices January 26, 2011 at 9:01 am

You HAVE to take the GVP one back!! I just had a similar experience about a month ago & I needed a new straightener. I bought that one first, thinking ‘oh yay, it’s like a chi, but much cheaper.’ Boy was I in for a shock! The thing barely heated up, it made my hair frizzy & I was just so unhappy with it. I ended up taking it back & bought a ‘tool science’ one from Sally’s- here’s the link:

I LOVE it!! It does wonders for my hair- makes it so shiny & soft..and it straightens it perfectly..and it lasts all day! & it’s not bad for your hair, like most of them. (oh, just so you know, the Bed Head is REALLY bad for your hair- it fries it- I learned all of this from my hair stylist, so I’m not making it up, I promise :) )

Ok, well now that I’ve written a book about straighteners, I just want to add that I cannot wait to try my lemon chobani!! :)

Maren January 26, 2011 at 9:06 am

BUMMER!!! I bought my new flat iron from TJ Maxx. love the drug comment from your Mom!! haha I was my hair about 3-4 times a week.

lenniejane555 January 26, 2011 at 9:15 am

1. Greek yogurt with honey and strawberries. *drool*

2. Every other day. Dry shampoo is my savior.

Heather January 26, 2011 at 9:29 am

I love the idea to keep your granola at work….I always sneak a handful or two at night!

As for snacking, right now I am addicted to a mini wrap (La Tortilla) with melted cheese, hummus and sliced apple! Yum!

I wash my hair more than I want to! 5-6 times a week, I would be happy with 3-4…I can not find a solution to washing my hair after every hot yoga session!

Errign January 26, 2011 at 9:44 am

I too am addicted to my ice cream maker :)

You can make fro-yo in them too, by just dumping in a quart of greek – so good!

janetha January 26, 2011 at 10:15 am

i know! that is next on my to-make list!! mmm.. with some fresh fruit..

natalie short January 26, 2011 at 9:44 am

i have to wash my hair every single day. it is a beating! i have very fine thin hair that gets oily so fast i could never go 2 days without a wash, unacceptable. my flat iron is going to call it quits any day now and i am going to be in a BAD way when it does. if i wanted to avoid having a total meltdown the day the old one goes out i would just go ahead a buy a new one and be prepared. but i would be willing to bet if i bought a new one the old one would last another year. things like that always happen.

Steph January 26, 2011 at 9:47 am

I absolutely love the Nature’s Path Ancient Grains from Costco!

I usually only have 1 snack per day – in the late afternoon as my pre-workout fuel. Training for my second marathon it is typically more carb based. Lately it is Nature Valley crunchy granola bars. But other options include half of a Clif (buy those at Costco too) or a slice of toast with nut butter.

I love cottage cheese and must give the avocado combo a try!

I shower twice a day most weekdays and shampoo my hair every time. It is very fine so I feel that I have to wash it every time.

Jess January 26, 2011 at 10:00 am

Sorry about your flat iron!
I love hummus and pita, and fruit and yogurt as well. I tend to eat about 2-3 snacks a day.
I wash my hair everyday- I just can’t get in the shower and not wash my hair for some reason.

Tiff January 26, 2011 at 10:52 am

I love the food posts! You have a lot of great ideas. The cracker, cottage cheese, avocado mix looks sooooo good! My favorite snack is PB and apples. Or grapes and string cheese!

My flat iron just died on me. Let me know which one you choose because I need a new one now, but don’t have a clue what I want.

If my hair is curly, I can go 4-5 days without washing it(kind of gross, I know, but it doesn’t get very greasy or smell bad). If I straighten it, I wash it every other day.

melissadishes January 26, 2011 at 11:05 am

I eat 2-3 snacks a day. My favorites used to involve greek yogurt or cottage cheese, but I think all milk hates me :-(

I wash my hair everyday. I’d really rather not, but when I workout it gets stinky