RIP, flat iron.

by Janetha on January 25, 2011

in meals,moves

wow. i am blown away at all the comments in my post about drugs & alcohol. like.. blown away. consider me and dorothy (and her little dog, too) best friends, because i have been whisked away to oz.

i was really skeptical about posting what i did, only because the content was not what you guys typically come here to see. i assumed the lengthy words would go unread. thank you for the response and helping me realize that there ARE other topics that you like to hear about. and, above all, thank you for sharing your OWN stories. it was incredible to hear where each and every one of you stand on the issue. i actually wanted to reply to each comment individually—that is how moved i was by the responses.  but, alas, i don’t have 78 extra hours before i leave on my trip, so a big huge public THANK YOU will have to suffice for now. i hope you understand.

yesterday was a heavy post. i checked my 30 day challenge and saw that topic #4 is also a pretty deep one. i have made the executive decision to skip the challenge today and just post whatever. hey, this is my blog and i am the CEO.. i can do things like that! i figure as long as i knock out all 30 topics in order, the challenge is still legit.

SO—let’s talk about today.

things started out on the wrong foot. i have stick-straight hair, but sometimes i decide to go to sleep with my hair wadded up into a ponytail-bun-like thing and then in the morning i just wash my body and my bangs and not the rest of my hair. then i flat iron the rest of my hair because it is clean but it is kinky. that’s an oxymoron if i ever heard one, aye?

anyway, today i was doing my regular routine.. shower, makeup, blow dry the bangs.. then i pick up my flat iron (which i had turned on about 10 minutes prior).. stone cold.

what?!

ugh.

my trusty old (haggard) flat iron that i have had for six years decided to call it quits.

we have been through a lot!

the purple paint is worn off.

i have repaired the cord with electrical tape in many places.

and this bad boy burned many a different patches of carpet it its day.

and now it doesn’t work.

perfect.

my solution to the kinky hair mess i had on my hands?

BEANIE!

gotta love utah in the winter just for the sake of wearing beanies. they are not necessarily work appropriate, but this beanie and braid combo made me look a whole lot more presentable than my kinky hair sitch.

glad i could share that experience with you. moving on…

meals

breakfast: 1 cup chobani greek yogurt + handful of nature’s path ancient grains granola + glob of mighty maple peanut butter.

i missed this breakfast! i just cracked open another bag of ancient grains granola. hopefully it isn’t gone by the end of the week. i am going to keep the bag at work so i won’t be able to sneak random handfuls at night. i know, i am clever.

lunch: mediterranean wrap (chicken + hummus + feta + spring greens + sprouts) & clementines & adora calcium disc.

same as yesterday, only with chicken this time instead of turkey. oh, and i put it on a plate rather than eating it straight off the classy tin foil.

clementines are straight up addicting.

i always look forward to my daily calcium.. this also curbs any sweet tooth that i have after lunch.

snack: 2 wasa crackers + avocado + cottage cheese + black pepper.IMG_6847

oh.. wondering why there is a bite missing?

wonder no more.

this combo is incredible! try it, you will like it.

moves

cardio day at the gym.

15 minutes of treadmill intervals:

• 1 min @ 6 MPH
  • 1 min @ 6.5 MPH
  • 1 min @ 7 MPH
  • 1 min @ 7.5 MPH
  • 1 min @ 8 MPH
  • repeat twice

15 minutes on the bike:

• resistance=10
  • distance=3.5 miles

5 minutes of stretching.. i am super sore from jackie yesterday!

meals

dinner: sweet potato shepherd’s pie.

not the most photogenic meal, but it was insanely delicious!  we are talking.. WAY, WAY delicious. marshall and i both went back for seconds. plus, it is body for life friendly. recipe coming tomorrow!

dessert: LEMON chobani.

i wanted ice cream (again) for dessert, but we forgot to freeze the ice cream cylinder. i should probably forget to do this more often to avoid gaining 25 pounds from ice cream consumption alone…

instead, i opted for the latest and greatest flavor from chobani.

people.. this one is a winner. let me tell you. it rivals pineapple! perfect ending to my day.

so, i hope you guys have been enjoying my breakfast/lunch/snack/dinner/dessert format of posting. these are the five meals i typically eat in a day and it is what works for me. i couldn’t imagine going from lunch to dinner without a snack. i am like a third grader and need my after school work snack! i look forward to it daily.

oh.. back to the flat iron. here’s a story. i was going to go buy a new one after the gym, but i left my wallet at home. bummer. so, i went home and made dinner. while my shepherd’s pie was baking, i left to go buy a new flat iron. i pulled into the sally beauty supply parking lot.. only to find that i didn’t remember to take my wallet with me! what? really?! ugh. i blame it on the genes of my mom.. i called her to complain and tell her that it was her fault. she said that, in light of yesterday’s post, it was probably the drugs that made me so forgetful. touché.

anyway, once i went home, got my wallet and went BACK to the store, i discovered that my beloved flat iron is no longer made. not a surprise, since it was 6 years old. they didn’t even have one like my old one. you see, mine was an “X” shape with a clampy handle. all the ones in the stores are a “V” shape. that could take some getting used to. plus, they didn’t have the right width or length. sigh. sometimes i hate change.

so.. i did what any normal person would do. i ended up buying three different ones.

i am going to try them out and return two of them.

and now, my friends, you know WAY more than you wanted to about my flat iron situation. you’re welcome.

1. what is one of your favorite snacks? how many snacks do you eat a day? lately i am loving english muffins with cream cheese and jam. as you’ve seen.

2. how often do you wash your hair? random question, i know.. but all this flat iron talk got me thinking about it. i typically wash my hair 4 or 5 times a week.. but i shower twice a day. once in the morning and once after the gym.

Pure2raw Twins January 26, 2011 at 11:11 am

Love my flat iron, I sure hope it can last a bit longer :) And don’t you just love moms?? They always like to remind us of things we wish to forget, haha

Washing hair?? um I hate to admit but I wash my every other day. I shower daily, but do not find the need to wash my hair. I feel it helps keep my hair healthier, but who knows.

And I am a snack girl!! I rather snack all day then eat a meal. Like you, I look forward to eating again…Love my snacks :)

Kathie @ Frugal Fit and Fabulous January 26, 2011 at 11:18 am

love that cute lil look of your’s in your beanie picture. what a bummer the flat iron died. i’d have been so upset!!!

Im a wash-my-hair-every-other-day gal myself..I use Suave’s new dry shampoo inbetween washes. =)

my snacking problem isnt after work..mine is about an hour before bed.

tell me more about your adora calcium please…..

janetha January 26, 2011 at 11:31 am

hmm.. let’s see.. it is 30 calories and tastes just like dark chocolate (they also have milk chocolate) and i have no idea if it is 100% of your daily calcium.. but i eat 2 a day just in case ;) i love them! i get them at smith’s (kroger in some places) but i bet you can buy them online!

Erica D January 26, 2011 at 11:36 am

I try not to wash my hair until I really need to; basically, every other day. If I need to wash it in between then, I just use conditioner and not shampoo!

Can’t wait for that recipe! I’ve always loved shepard’s pie, but I haven’t gotten around to making a vegetarian version of it yet.

Rose January 26, 2011 at 11:55 am

I am very excited about tomorrow’s recipe, because that looks AWESOME.

Snack: I’m on a dried fruit kick. We got a dehydrator for our wedding, and I’ve been putting that baby to use. I’ve also been eating dates like crazy. They taste like they’ve been rolled around in sugar!

Hair: I try to wash my hair 1-2 times a week. It used to get greasy after like 20 hours, but I took a few months to train it to stay clean longer. My bangs are relatively new, though, and they get greasy SO SO FAST. Ug. So, sometimes I’ll just wash them in the shower. The other day I, um, washed my bangs in the kitchen sink. They were looking really sad, but I was too lazy to shower before work.

sabrinarella January 26, 2011 at 11:59 am

I used to have that generic brand, it did me good for a long time! However, I eventually replaced it with my CHI and I would much rather of the generic back (i gave it to my sister).

sabrinarella January 26, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Hey i was just reading some of these comments.. and a few people are suggesting the CHI. I don’t suggest it! It’s a very nice flat iron but it doesnt have a dial on it so it burns my hair. I have to turn it on, and when it gets too hot turn it off to cool down a little, than turn it back on when it’s gets to cool. It’s a fantastic product if you have thick hair, but for us fine hair girls (i’m assuming your have fine hair) it’s not the way to go in my opinion!

C. January 26, 2011 at 1:09 pm

1. I’ve been on a cream cheese + jam kick too! Usually eaten on a waffle at work though.
I also do cream cheese + salsa. BOMB.

2. I am pretty nasty when it comes to washing my hair. I usually wash like 2 times a week.. but shower everyday!! i hate having to wash + blow dry.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) January 26, 2011 at 1:10 pm

BAH I wrote the longest comment ever and it was deleated WAHH

anyways, i was saying that I ADORE key lime pie and lemon meringue pie so that chobani flavor is right up my alley! I love anything with lemon, so I must try that I can only imagine how delicious it is!

my favorite snack is greek yog with quinoa OR quick protein cake (pp + pumkin+ egg white) in the microwave! i also love popcorn with cinnamon YUM

wash my hair–everyday, I wish I didn’t have to but its so thin that it gets greasy pretty fast!

xoxox

Jen January 26, 2011 at 1:17 pm

I read your post yesterday and wanted to cry. I was born and raised in the LDS church and still am a member, but spent the ages of 15-20 doing anything and everything I could to piss my parents off. There was so much alcohol consumed during that period of my life, I’m surprised I’m still alive. The reason I wanted to cry is because my Dad stood by me the whole time, never stopped loving me, always encouraging me, even picked me up from the police station one night. I never got a chance to properly thank him, he was killed in a car accident 10 months ago. I am so thankful that the last few years of his life we were so close and he got to see a better me…and now that I’m crying again, I’ll stop rambling.

janetha January 26, 2011 at 1:31 pm

thanks for your comment, jen! i am sure your dad knows how appreciative you are. parents are the best!

katecooks January 26, 2011 at 1:20 pm

i wash my hair every day BUT i am lucky that it is pin stick straight. i cannot imagine having to deal with anything more than a blow dryer daily!! i’d be rocking your cute braid and beanie daily.

your dinner does look really delicious…i’m psyched for the recipe!

runrettarun January 26, 2011 at 1:39 pm

I wash my hair every other day sometimes 2 days later if I can swing it. Now that it’s longer, it seems like washing it every day dries it out. Dry shampoo is my friend. My Chi is super old. I don’t know what I’ll do when it croaks. They are ‘spensive!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 26, 2011 at 1:56 pm

and here i thought all along that you had naturally pin straight hair! omg you flat iron, too! makes me feel beter :)

i have had a Hai for years but when it gives up the ghost, i will probably…get another Hai or a Chi. Keep us posted how your new iron(s) work for you. I have found the cheaper ones 1. rip my hair and 2. i need multiple!! passes thru to get my hair straight even when it’s hot. weird.

And i was my hair every 3rd day. Shower 2x daily w/ hair tied up.

janetha January 26, 2011 at 3:18 pm

i do have pin straight hair! like i said in the post, i only use it to iron out the kinks if i sleep with it wadded up :) i consider myself super lucky with the straight hair.

Rebecca January 26, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Bummer on the flat iron. My curlinging iron recently broke and my new one leaves annoying crimps in my hair…on the hunt for a higher priced better quality iron.

One of my favorite snacks right now is a banana w/ Dark Chocolate Dreams PB or a Chobani with granola.

I usually wash my hair every-other-day. If I’m lazy and go an extra day my scalp is a bit stinky.

cbrady3 January 26, 2011 at 3:05 pm

My fav snacks are an apple dipped in greek yogurt, veggies and hummus, a lara bar, or oatmeal & pb.

And I wash my hair 6 times a week – after each time I work out!

Megan January 26, 2011 at 6:08 pm

My flat iron went out on me about two weeks ago too! It was a Chi and I absolutely loved it so you may really like the one you got that compares to that. I have extremely thick, curly hair which I flat iron every day so I have to go with the ones that are “kind” to your hair. I went with the Sedu this time over the Chi for the new features it has that the Chi doesn’t. Let me just tell you, for my hair, it is incredible!!! So expensive, but so worth it! Good luck on your quest for the perfect flat iron :)

BroccoliHut January 26, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Mmm I love putting cottage cheese and avocado on my wraps with roasted red pepper hummus. Yum.

kissmybroccoli January 26, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Girl, you have got me wanting to try so many snacks! First the cream cheese/jam combo and now avocado and cottage cheese? Mmm, looks delicious! I am such a kid, I swear I would wither away if I didn’t have my afternoon snack! I usually eat breakfast around 6am so I have a morning and an afternoon snack and then dinner is usually around 7 or 8 (I really TRY for 7, it just doesn’t always work out that way).

I usually wash my hair 6 times a week. I get lazy on the weekends!

Jessye January 27, 2011 at 8:48 am

I send my condolence on your flat iron! As a kinky wavyy haired girl I truly understand the importance of a great flat iron!! My hubby bought me a new flat iron a few Christmases ago after my tried and true 7 year old iron fell off the vanity and cracked in two! If you aren’t pleased with the ones you’ve found I highly recommend the Corioliss Wet to Dry. He found mine on ebay for around $75. Best of luck!!

Caree @ Fit-Mama January 27, 2011 at 2:59 pm

I can’t find the lemon flavor here and I want to so bad!

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad January 27, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Lemon Chobani is calling my name! I had no idea about this new flavor. I totally go crazy for lemon desserts.

jqlee January 27, 2011 at 8:20 pm

my college roomie swears by the CHI flat irons.

dude, did u know they are coming out with a mango chobs!! i can’t wait. the lady at chobani told me it’s the newest one

i wash my hair about 3-4 times a week. having curly hair, it doesnt get as oily as fast as straight hair i think, cuz its naturally more dry. and curly hair doesnt get too “messy” so i can get away with half done hair :)

Cole January 29, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Black! I hated today’s topic for the 30 day challenge, I should have skipped it too.