football food.

by Janetha on January 16, 2011

in meals

things i have not done today:

• changed out of my pajamas
  • set foot, or even LOOKED, outside
  • eaten a vegetable
  • exercised
  • taken my vitamins
  • consumed any water

not to worry, i HAVE brushed my teeth, washed my face, eaten 4 bowls of cereal, a piece of PB & jam toast, taken two naps, drank a glass of OJ and cuddled with my dogs more than ever. i took a 2 hour nap with randy as my pillow. he is such a good sport.

i had really good intentions of working out, running errands and cleaning house today. seeing as how it is already 3 o’clock and i am still in my pajamas (and just polished off another bowl of kashi golean), i probably won’t do any of that. and that’s ok.

last night was the packers game! can you hear the enthusiasm in my voice? i am really trying to get excited about football.. but it bores me so much that i just can’t get behind it. a least my flower vase can.

what i can get behind is football snacks! marshall decided to invite some football fans to watch the game, so i happily prepared a spread of food.

i first want to share with you my recipe for buffalo chicken dip, which is 100% inspired by jessica’s dip.

• 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, boiled & shredded
  • 2/3 cup chobani plain greek yogurt
  • 8 oz neufchatel cheese (can sub cream cheese)
  • 3 TB low fat mayo (can omit if you want—it adds tanginess)
  • 1/4-1/3 cup frank’s red hot wing sauce
  • 3 TB organic ranch seasoning
  • 1/4 cup bleu cheese or gorgonzola crumbles
  • handful of shredded cheddar & monterey jack cheeses (optional)
  • dippers (chips, veggies, bread)

boil and shred your chicken, then place in a medium sized bowl.

add your yogurt, nuefchatel, mayo, ranch and bleu cheese/gorgonzola. mix well.IMG_6011

add your hot sauce (as much as desired—taste as you go) and mix well. layer into a small baking dish. this one is 5” x 7”.

if you want, top with shredded cheese.

bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and dip is warm through.

serve with dippers of choice and enjoy!

in addition to the buffalo chicken dip, we had a few other things.IMG_6039

chips and marshall’s guacamole. it’s so good.

veggies & hummus (sabra) & organic ranch dip.

sabra really never lets me down. add some parsley and it looks home made Winking smile

the ranch dip is simple: the remaining packet of ranch dip that i used for the buffalo chicken dip + a cup of sour cream.

veggies! for the chicken dip and the other dips.

marshall only invited a few people to watch the game, so i am really proud of myself for NOT over-doing the amount of food. probably for the first time in my entire life, actually.

they were winning at half time and that made for happy football fans! i made a build-your-own panini bar.

sourdough & stoneground wheat breads.

cheese, turkey, ham & tomatoes.

build it. press it. eat it!

paninis are amazing. they really transform an ordinary sandwich into extraordinary!

we finished up the game – well, the football fans did. i stayed in the kitchen. i don’t understand how my friend amber can be so into football. really.

i stayed in the kitchen and consumed this:

my good blog friend, steph, was sweet enough to send me a couple bottles of her home brewed beer—tipsy turkey.

look how professional! and the beer tasted awesome. i was so impressed! thanks so much, steph. everyone should check out her fabulous blog, mangiare buono, vivere bello. it is full of cute pooches, home brewing, great workouts and delicious food.

well, the good news is that the packers WON, so i have another week of a happy husband.

1. beer people: what is your favorite brew? i rarely drink beer, but i love, love, love green LEV.

2. football people: who are you rooting for? i am clearly for the packers by default. but i would probably pick them anyway, because of the cheese head. i love cheese.

LG January 17, 2011 at 9:32 am

Hey…I made your crockpot stew yesterday. Added spice instead of the McCormicks stuff (couldn’t find it in Calgary and the similar products were like $2, so I used this instead . SOO GOOD! Thanks for posting the recipe!!! I love the basil in it.

Oh, and I bought a cabbage as a new vegetable to try and put some of this in there too. Yum! Your recipes always seem very “makeable” – like i have most of the stuff in my cupboards. :0)

janetha January 17, 2011 at 11:09 am

sweet! i am so glad you liked it and made it!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 17, 2011 at 10:43 am

I hate football too. It’s the best excuse to eat snacky food, though…I see you’ve got that covered :) And I LOVE beer. Love it. My favorites are Shock Top, Land Shark and Victory Golden Monkey, although I usually just go with Coors or Corona Light for moolah purposes!

Rose January 17, 2011 at 11:19 am

It must be buffalo chicken day. I just posted a recipe for buffalo chicken mac and cheese. hahahahhahahaha.

janetha January 17, 2011 at 11:51 am

i saw that! it looked good.

Shanna, like Banana January 17, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Do you live in WI. I was born and raised in Madison (now in Cali).

I’m rooting for the Packers too ;)

janetha January 17, 2011 at 2:00 pm

definitely don’t live in WI or anywhere near it. i live in utah. my husband is from utah. he is just mildly obsesssssed with packers.

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel January 17, 2011 at 12:18 pm

what a fabulous panini sandwich press you have! they’re so fun to use..well i dont have one per-se but i like to think that my george foreman works in a similar way ;)

i still havent tasted beer but im sure in the not so distant future i’ll be around someone who orders one and i’ll try it…well at least a gluten-free one hehe <3

lowandbhold January 17, 2011 at 1:48 pm

I love football food and beer! Super yum! Top faves: Moose Drool, Lienenkugel, Mustang Harvest Lager, Choc and Coop are all local beers I love. I could go on, but I’ll stop.

I’m sort of a Bears Fan sort of a Rams fan, but I’m not that into NFL.

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather January 17, 2011 at 4:27 pm

That beer totally looks professional! Great spread J, paninis are such a good idea. Make others work for their food!

Jess January 17, 2011 at 5:29 pm

I like the healthier spin on the buffalo chicken wing dip!
My favorite beer is probably Heineken, actually :)

Katie January 17, 2011 at 7:00 pm

I’ve never been a football person but I’m trying because Ari’s family is REALLY into the Redskins! But they’re out of the running now, so I’m not rooting for anyone.

I like Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA!

kissmybroccoli January 17, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Love your panini station! There really is something about grilling a sandwich that takes it to a whole new level!

I prefer wine over beer, but if I had to pick a favorite, I would definitely say the Vanilla Ale from a local Pub/Brewery here in town. It tastes like cream soda!

carolinebee January 18, 2011 at 7:23 am

O man, i’ve never been a huge FB person…buuut, try being in Boston when the Pats lost to the Jets :/ bad newsss bears! O well still can’t wait for superbowl parties! :D

Martha Lilian January 18, 2011 at 9:40 am

I am SERIOUSLY drooling at my desk right now. I cannot wait until I have an occasion to make the buffalo chicken dip and by occasion, I mean this weekend when my Mister is out of town and I am parked in front of the TV watching all of the shows he hates and eating all of the foods he can’t eat!

Sara January 18, 2011 at 5:15 pm