three things thursday.

by Janetha on January 13, 2011

in meals,moves

i have a special treat for you guys today (…or a painfully long and boring post, depending on how you look at it i guess)—i took photos of all my meals! that happens very rarely these days.

here we go.

image_thumb11

breakfast was rushed because i had to throw dinner together in the crock pot this morning so i had no time to make anything elaborate.

kashi golean + cascadian farm multigrain squares + skim milk

plus a piece of whole wheat toast + skippy natural peanut butter for a little extra satiety.

last time i got a pedicure, i was reading cosmo. it said that the smell of toast supposedly makes you happy. not sure how true that is, but i know it makes me happy!

lunch was in wrap form and protein packed!

la tortilla factory low carb high fiber wrap + 3 oz grilled chicken + ~1/3 cup cottage cheese + salad greens

you really can’t go wrong with a wrap.

my snack was around 4 PM and i was still at work. i have so, so, so much to do still as far as tying out the accounts for year end. sigh.

two string cheese sticks + two clementines + the last of my gallon of water for the day

this has been my snack all week. at 230 calories, 15 g protein and 19 g carbs, you can’t go wrong! i call those addicting little orange guys clementines, but they have so many names. cuties. tangerines. mandarin oranges. aren’t they all the same thing? maria eats something similar called a mikan over in japan.

image_thumb2

i managed to get to the gym today. oh, i have a serious case of DOMS from the jackie DVD, by the way! i love it.  can’t wait to do the DVD again.

i did the following routine on the treadmill:

minute # speed MPH
15 8
16 6
17 6.5
18 7
19 7.5
20 8

2.35 miles total in the 20 minutes..

followed by 15 minutes of intervals at level 10 on the stairmill and 5ish minutes of stretching.

image_thumb11

i came home and didn’t have to lift a finger for dinner!

i only had to lift a lid.

i made my mom’s beef stew in the crock pot. it is SO good. click here for the recipe. you can easily make this vegan by omitting the beef.. you may want to add some beans for protein.

i had a big bowl of stew…

…with my favorite side dish.. peanut butter toast.

haters can hate (marshall is a hater) but this is something i have done since childhood! i grew up dipping peanut butter toast into campbell’s alphabet vegetable soup.

IMG_5939IMG_5940

oh man. best thing ever. here are the stats per serving. FYI.

not bad! again, the full recipe is here.

in case you are wondering, and i know you are.. i will be having a chocolate vitatop with biscoff spread in a couple hours. for dessert.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

if you read melissa’s blog (and i don’t know why you wouldn’t, it is one of my very favorite blogs out there) then you are familiar with her weekly feature called “three things thursday”.  basically, thursday brings a good reason to rattle off three things  that are bugging her at the moment. i often chime in with my own things, but today i decided to be a copycat and play the game on my own blog.

three things that are ruffling my feathers this week:

1. “i could care less”

people. the correct term is “i couldn’t care less”.  i have said this before and i have to say it again because it has been popping up more than usual lately! the point you are conveying is that you really don’t give a flying flip about whatever you are talking about. to say that you COULD care less is really just saying that you care enough that there is, indeed, room for caring less. if you really want to get the point across that whatever you are talking about is at the very bottom of the barrel in care-ville, please use the correct term and say you couldn’t care less. thanks.

2. snow complainers

it happens every winter. the complainers. they start with the first snow and don’t stop until it has all melted. if i hear one more person around me complain about the fact that it is snowing, that it snowed, that it is going to snow or that it is cold.. i am going to throw a snowball in their face. or whitewash them. either or. if you live in utah and have lived here for more than one winter, you shouldn’t  be allowed to gripe about the snow. it’s utah. it snows. our license plates boast “the greatest snow on earth”.. remember? complaining is not going to get you anywhere. but a ticket to florida will, word on the street is that is the only state left without snow.. so complainers, please book a flight to the sunshine state.

3. the battery life of my droid

i have a full charge on my phone every morning and i really don’t use my phone much throughout the day because i am at work for eight hours. but every day around 7 or 8, without fail, my phone is blinking red or already dead. yes, i can charge my phone in the middle of the day.. but the fact of the matter is i shouldn’t have to. if you are going to make a smart phone and offer all these different apps and functions, then make a battery that will back up all the features. lots of people who have droids say they have the same problem. what gives, droid?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

see ya tomorrow for flashback friday!

1. what is something that is getting on your nerves these days?

2. clementines, cuties, tangerines, mandarin oranges.. what do you call them?

Shannon January 14, 2011 at 6:23 am

I dunk a PB sandwich in my tomato soup every time I have tomato soup. It’s the best thing ever. And people don’t believe me… I am glad you’re on board!!

Lizilla January 14, 2011 at 6:31 am

I know exactly what you mean about snow complainers. I live in the high peaks region of the Adirondacks where it is beautiful but cold (like -30 cold) and snowing from November to April. I swear that it always seems like when I go to get gas or groceries the checkout person is complaining about the weather. Not to sound bitchy but I’m pretty sure there are gas stations and grocery stores down south. Seriously. Glad to know I’m not the only one that is severely annoyed by this! Also I found my droid battery was dying quickly but then I switched from a live wallpaper to a regular one and found my battery life increase dramatically.

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) January 14, 2011 at 6:39 am

They aren’t all the same thing! As much as I love clementines, I love mandarins more!! They have a different taste, tangier I think.

Getting on my nerves these days… oh, man. Everything. It hasn’t been a good week. Here’s to a good weekend! :)

xo

brandi January 14, 2011 at 6:49 am

I LOVE having dinner waiting for me in the crockpot :) That’s the best.

I call them clementines!

Katy January 14, 2011 at 7:22 am

I’m with you! My Droid is driving me CRAZY!!! It is ALWAYS dying, and I really don’t use it during the day when I have class!

Freckled Foodie January 14, 2011 at 7:45 am

amen on the droid comment! i have to bring my charger to work with me everyday if i want it to last!

cuties, definitely cuties.

Di January 14, 2011 at 7:47 am

One of the few things I’ve made in my crock pot is beef stew. SO GOOD. I need to use my crock pot more.

I call ’em clementines.

Kathie @ Frugal, Fit and Fabulous January 14, 2011 at 7:54 am

yaya for DOMS from Jackie’s DVD. You’re really selling me on this dvd, ya know. =P

Mmmm, that beef stew looks DELISH! And wouldn’t you know i’ve been on the hunt for the perfect recipe for, ohh, i dunno…3 yrs!!! Gonna try it next week! THANKS! I’ll let you know what we think. (Tho i’ll have to omit the onions..DH and DD dont like them or eat anything with them)

Cottage Cheese and Chicken. I dunno but the combo just sounds revolting but hey! some of the worst sounding combos are delish so i’m willing to give it a try.

janetha January 14, 2011 at 9:48 am

let me know if you try it and like it. i am all about cottage cheese ONLY being savory. i love to use it in lieu of salad dressing. you know what i find revolting, though? fruit or anything sweet/fruity mixed with cottage cheese. i cringe! haha. i think cottage cheese is one of those things that people feel very strongly about when it comes to what they will mix it with.

Kathie @ Frugal, Fit and Fabulous January 15, 2011 at 6:53 am

I will certainly let you know. Im sure we’ll love it.

I happen to be one of those cottage cheese lovers that like it with frut. Then again, it’s the only way i’ve had it so I can’t really compare to other alternatives. However, I am willing to give it a try — esp. in lieu of salad dressing.

Marie January 14, 2011 at 7:56 am

I love dipping a peanut butter in jelly in my beef soup, best comfort food ever!

Rachel in NC January 14, 2011 at 8:03 am

My Droid does that too! So annoying.

I think clementines and tangerines are just different types of mandarin oranges. And Cuties is a brand name. I call them delicious! :)

runyogarepeat January 14, 2011 at 8:13 am

Snow haters are the worst! I hate being cold, but I love the snow. There’s just so much to do with it.

a taste of health with balance January 14, 2011 at 8:16 am

i call them clementines :) i’ve had the same phone for 4 years now and i’m starting to notice the battery life isn’t lasting as long..
never tried pb toast in soup! that actually sounds reallly good. Grilled cheese and tomato soup, now thats a seriously good combo ;)

andrea January 14, 2011 at 9:13 am

I am making this as we speak….I love stew!!!

Cyndie January 14, 2011 at 9:22 am

I hate it when people say, “I could care less.” And some people don’t get how it’s incorrect even when you explain it to them. Awesome.

I AM a snow complainer though, and I’ve lived in Michigan near the lake (lake effect snow. sucks.) my whole life…but I am never well-equipped to survive winter here.

janetha January 14, 2011 at 9:52 am

i know all about the lake effect snow! i actually love it.. haha. what i don’t love is the inversion. do you guys get that? it’s so gross.

Natalia - a side of simple January 14, 2011 at 9:33 am

The smell of toast always makes me feel like I’m at a bed and breakfast or that I’m home. It’s a cozy feeling that makes me smile. Though, a butterfly spoon would sure make me happy, too!

Rachel (Olalliberry) January 14, 2011 at 9:43 am

The smell of toast makes me very happy! Also, I like the idea of putting cottage cheese in a wrap.

I’m sorry you’re still having problems with your phone’s battery! Does your phone tell you what is using the battery the most? I’ve heard of some folks ordering replacement batteries that have a higher capacity than the one that came with the phone… might be something to look into.

Teri [a foodie stays fit] January 14, 2011 at 9:55 am

I can’t stand “could care less” – I swear it’s especially prevalent in Utah.

Can you please teach me to like cottage cheese?

janetha January 14, 2011 at 9:57 am

i don’t think so. it is a hard thing to like. sometimes you just have to accept your faults ;) is it the texture? you could try blending it. one thing i cannot do is cottage cheese in a sweet setting. oh gross. i am gagging just at the thought of throwing pineapple in my cottage cheese. i can’t believe some companies SELL it that way.

i love you. i couldn’t love you more. i could love you less. but i won’t.

Teri [a foodie stays fit] January 14, 2011 at 10:00 am

I used to love it actually! It’s not the texture, it’s the flavor. Maybe I just need to start throwing it in things that have stronger flavor. I used to love it with canned peaches – sorry. :)

I love you too. I’m pretty sure we are sisters. Oh wait, we ARE, right? heh heh. I’m going to start calling you sister gallegos.

janetha January 14, 2011 at 10:27 am

i just spit my coffee out from laughing at that. wait, coffee? i don’t think i am supposed be drinking that stuff.

Teri [a foodie stays fit] January 14, 2011 at 11:13 am

baaaaahahahahhaa! you sinner.

janae @hungryrunnergirl.com January 14, 2011 at 10:03 am

CLEMENTINES:) I will be copying your snack. Great workout!!! That stew looks amazing, I WILL be making that. We have the same crockpot:) Snow complainers just need to move. If you don’t like it just deal with it or get out of here because Utah is kind of known for it’s snow ha! Something bothering me this week…..a particular student is driving me insane. I wear earplugs when he tries to talk to me. Have a great day and I was happy to see snow today because of YOU!

mary (what's cookin' with mary) January 14, 2011 at 10:30 am

I HATE when people use the ‘could care less’ this AHHHH! Drives me nuts!!

I call them clementines ;)

Caree @ Fit-Mama January 14, 2011 at 10:51 am

I call them tangerines.

And what is getting on my nerves these days is the same people asking me the same questions. every.single.day!

LC @ Let Them Eat Lentils January 14, 2011 at 10:53 am

My coworker tells me there’s a saving energy app for droid that will change your settings to keep the battery going longer. I have an iphone, but wanted to be helpful :)

ihearteggs January 14, 2011 at 11:08 am

I call them mini oranges! lol simple and to the point!

The packed gym is what’s getting on my nerves day in, day out! ugh!

lowandbhold January 14, 2011 at 11:08 am

I like to call them Darlings. As in Darling Clementine :)

I have a coworker that’s really annoying me right now. She’s always comparing her low-calorie food to mine and it drives me nuts. I don’t care if your bun has 80 calories and mine doesn’t. Sheesh.

Salah January 14, 2011 at 11:49 am

that wrap looks so bomb! I’ll be doing my best to recreate that soon!

Heather January 14, 2011 at 12:17 pm

ugh, i HATE when people misuse that phrase!!! i was just talking about it the other day with someone at work. i really hate when people try to get all competitive about ridiculous things. really? i say they try to get competitive with something that’s worth them LOSING! muahahaha…

Kelly @ Kelly Be Well January 14, 2011 at 12:19 pm

I’m a little late on commenting…my work is INSANE too (although, mine is insane because we’re counting the homeless…not because of books!).
My droid battery life sucks as well, but I find that if I just leave my 3G and wireless off (especially when I am at work and know I’m too busy to be fussing with my phone anyway) my battery life is awesome. If I need it, it’s super-quick to turn it back on.
All that being said, I probably still charge it once a day LOL

elise January 14, 2011 at 12:23 pm

that i could care less thing was on modern family!!! i think it was last week’s episode and mitch corrected cameron on it!!!

my pet peeve is the incorrect use of the word infamous. its NOT THE SAME AS FAMOUS! come on PEOPLE. ugh.

thedelicateplace January 14, 2011 at 12:27 pm

oh wow thanks for the beef stew recipe i am totally making that. i have been on a stew/soup kick lately for my lunches. as for droid drain, do you leave your twitter app on all day? if so, the constant updating of tweets from those you follow could be sucking the life out of it!
getting on my nerves lately? not enough hours in the day…jk…sort of. no really, when people cut in front of you in the salad bar line at the work cafe. can you not see i am clearly standing and waiting patiently like everyone else? jerks ;p

coffeeandthepaper January 14, 2011 at 12:34 pm

The abundance of PB toast in this post (rhymage!) made me smile.

I have a droid too and I feel your pain. It’s charging right now. It irks me but I think I’d be more irked if I didn’t have it!

Jen January 14, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Every time I read your blog I’m starving when I leave!!! I live in Michigan, it snows and it’s cold, but yet people complain ALL the time about both…leave! Geez!

Have a great weekend :)

Jen

cbrady3 January 14, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Bugging me: when people pretend you don’t have a life outside of work. And schedule meetings at all hours of the day.

And I’ve always called them clementines!

Pure2raw twins January 14, 2011 at 5:49 pm

I love that butterfly spoon!

Susan January 16, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Can I still gripe even though it’s Sunday? And even though I complain about this every day of my life anyways? I spend AT LEAST 2 hours of my day on public transportation. At least. Some days it’s 4 hours. That’s a huge chunk of my life that I spend trying to avoid eye contact with people in cramped spaces. And it’s one of the main reasons why I’m leaving Toronto. Ugh!

Sara January 18, 2011 at 5:09 pm

LOL! Finally, someone else who seems to understand that “I could care less” doesn’t freakin make sense!! Thought it was just me. ;)