staying in.

by Janetha on January 12, 2011

in meals,moves

it is cold outside these days. as in.. in the teens. and i am sure we will be seeing single digits overnight. once i get home from work, it is really hard to leave the house and go anywhere.. especially the gym. i have made myself brave the frigid temperatures the past two days. i made it to the gym both monday and tuesday and had some really stellar sessions.

today, however, i stayed in my warm house and let jackie kick my butt.

i picked this DVD up from costco for a mere $7.99 on sunday. to me, that is so cheap for a workout DVD. if you think about it, you will probably pay more than that to go to a specialty gym class. and this gym class was a private, one-on-one session in the comfort of my own home.

i thought about pulling a melissa and watching the DVD first to see what it was all about, but i had the feeling that if i watched it first, i probably would just decide to do it another day just because i wouldn’t want to watch it again. so, i bit the bullet and turned my living room into a workout room.

you see, we just got a new TV. i never showed it to you guys because there are still a few finishing touches to be made, but we recently had to mounted on the wall.

the TV is usually tilted toward the couch, which is in the corner of the room.

because of this handy wall mount device, i was able to easily reposition the TV to face an empty spot in the room, which i turned into my workout area.

don’t mind the cheese head on the mantle. it brings the packers good luck, didn’t you know?

it was nice to not even have to move the coffee table. this DVD doesn’t require as much room or jumping around as the insanity DVDs do, so i had plenty of room to complete the workout.

the only equipment needed was a pair of dumbbells. i have a set of 5 pounders.

the DVD is a 30 minute routine that incorporates both strength training and cardiovascular exercise.

there is a brief warmup that gets your body limber and your heart rate up, then jackie jumps right into the exercises. each exercise is done for one minute and each exercise engages more than one muscle group—usually an upper body part and a lower body part.  for example, a curtsy lunge with a side kick while also punching one hand out to the side. another example is the squat tap with biceps curl. she focuses heavily on shoulder work. there is a brief cooldown session at the end.

i typically do weight lifting sessions for 45 minutes to an hour, but i honestly felt like i got a great workout in the 30 minutes. it went by quickly, but at the same time, it was tough. there were modification choices which is helpful to beginners and if you felt it was too easy, you could always up the size of your hand weights.

if you have been reading my blog for awhile, you know i am a huge fan of jackie warner. this was the first DVD of hers that i have actually purchased and tried, and i am REALLY glad i did. it is a great way to get a good workout in the comfort of your own home. plus, at eight bucks, you can’t go wrong.

after sucking down a muscle milk and taking a quick shower, i got to work on dinner. i totally failed at putting my crock pot to work this morning, so plans changed and we decided to have tacos (for him) and taco salad (for me)!

i usually prefer ground turkey for tacos, but marshall prefers ground beef so i have to give him his way everyone in awhile. while browning the meat, i used my handy little clip on spoon holder.

this gadget just clips right onto your pot or pan.

and securely holds your spoon when not in use.

my fabulous sister, marisa, gave me this for christmas. it is incredibly handy! thanks, ree, i love it Smile

within about 15 minutes, dinner was ready. that’s what i love about taco night.. so speedy!

salad greens, black beans, a combo of cheeses, seasoned ground beef, diced tomatoes, homemade guacamole (thanks, marshall!) and a dollup of chobani.

my eyes were bigger than my stomach, because i couldn’t finish this hugh jass salad. i think the muscle milk filled me up a bit prior to eating dinner. i am sure i will be hungry again in a bit and will go back to finish the salad.

welp, i have a jazz game to watch and a couch spot with my name on it.. i don’t plan to venture out of the house the rest of the night. definitely staying in!

i will talk to you guys tomorrow—have a great thursday!

1. do you do workout DVDs? which ones are your favorite? the only other workout DVDs i have enjoyed are the insanity DVDs. i tried a few jillian michaels ones and they were not my cup of tea.

2. what is your protein of choice for tacos? edited this to say FISH TACOS.

Lauren January 13, 2011 at 7:37 am

I just did this workout and loved it. Jackie Warner is definitely a good trainer. I always feel confident buying her DVD’s. LOVE her AB workout too.

kgirl January 13, 2011 at 7:47 am

I feel that not wanting to venture out when you are home and warm thing SO much lately. Yesterday I got home, changed into my workout clothes… ipod attached, water and gloves in hand… and then i didnt go. ha I should never come home in between school/ work and the gym.

I have also been doing kettlebell at home, and some p90x… Im gonna look into this jackie warner vid now too! Is it actually two workout or only “like 2” ?

I love 1/2 soy ground ‘beef’ + half puy lentils in tacos! :)

janetha January 13, 2011 at 10:53 am

Definitely just “like 2”–it is one 30 min routine.

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) January 13, 2011 at 7:49 am

I don’t do a lot of work-out dvds, though I do like Jillian Michael’s Shred and I do yoga DVDs pretty often, Shiva Rea is great!

And yum, tacos! I LOVE fish tacos :)

xo

coffeeandthepaper January 13, 2011 at 8:10 am

I don’t know who Jackie is, but she looks FIERCE and it kind of looks like you two could be related!

Tacos have kind of lost their zeal for me since I found I’m allergic to ‘cados. I guess beans?

janae @hungryrunnergirl.com January 13, 2011 at 8:10 am

So….how about I pay you to come decorate my house and cook us dinner. I love your house and that couch is calling my name. I am with you on FISH tacos (probably not Utah ones though). I love Jillian work-out DVD’s. She scares me though! Loved your proposal story….I actually read your blog way back when when that happen. Stalker, yep!

janetha January 13, 2011 at 10:54 am

HAHAHA what! No way! I am sad you took so long to de-lurk! But glad you finally did <3

Eates-A-Lot January 13, 2011 at 8:11 am

I”m a huge fan of Fish taco’s if I go out.. If I’m home, I use the ground turkey.
If you want to jazz up a salad in an unhealthy fashion you can always add Doritos and Catalina Dressing. it’s SOOOO good.
I also work out to Core Secrets & Winsor Pilates. Both give me a nice relaxing day.. It’s sessions that don’t kill me. but I find that I feel a little tighter after both.

Also – If you ever want to try something different. Take a Jazzercise Class. It kicks my arse. It’s a really great workout.

Freckled Foodie January 13, 2011 at 8:16 am

that, my dear is comfort food at its best!

xo.

Jenny January 13, 2011 at 8:19 am

workout vids are all I do. Quick, efficient, cheap as balls (especially the exercisetv ones. Free!) I honestly can’t imagine myself hitting the gym again, though I would love to take a body pump class.

I have a kathy smith dvd that I think you would lurveeeee.

let’s just ignore the name of it though, k?

janetha January 13, 2011 at 10:57 am

thank you thank you! hey, i like the name. i would love to build muscle and shrink fat.

enjoyingthechaos January 13, 2011 at 8:25 am

when it comes to tacos..i am a total a ground beef girl…sometimes I just can’t say no to red meat!!

Salah (My Healthiest LIfestyle) January 13, 2011 at 8:28 am

I gotta get that dvd!!! LoVE Jacki warner too!

Paige (Running Around Normal) January 13, 2011 at 8:41 am

Gosh it’s been forever since I’ve done a workout DVD. I’d have to say my faves are by Chalene Johnson. I love some of the Turbo Jams and the ChaLene Extreme series.

Nicole C January 13, 2011 at 8:42 am

I have the Insanity DVDs, I need more room to do them though. Oh and endurance, that would help too!

I’m going with chicken on this one, I could and practically do eat it everyday. Give me some black beans and a tortilla and I’m good.

Also, I had all intentions of working out last night but I did a bunch of lunges while picking up bits of destroyed toys from my dog and mopping..point of the story by the end I decided to sit down and watch the movie ‘Going the Distance’..recommend it!!!

runrettarun January 13, 2011 at 9:10 am

Love workouts DVDs! I am a fan of Jillian Michaels’ DVDs but I like Denise Austen too. I haven’t tried Jackie but I plan on it.

Bess January 13, 2011 at 9:10 am

I do the p90x videos often! I like them for the most part, especially the kenpo dvd which is basically kickboxing. Also, your couch looks heavenly I want to have a huge couch like that eventually :)

Haleigh January 13, 2011 at 9:17 am

I think if I had a few good workout DVD’s that I may actually workout, haha…

Melanie January 13, 2011 at 10:02 am

I like chicken tacos :) and I love the Jillian Michaels dvds even though I haven’t done them in a while. I love the spoon clip! How useful!

Steph January 13, 2011 at 10:13 am

You have such rockin’ kitchen gadgets!

Lori (Finding Radiance) January 13, 2011 at 10:27 am

I like beef tacos – although I really love the pork barbacoa at Chipotle.

I have a lot of the Firm DVDs. Those will give you a good workout.

glidingcalm January 13, 2011 at 10:41 am

i loveeeeeeeee taco night!! i could seriously have it 4 times a week!

IHeartVegetables January 13, 2011 at 11:00 am

I like the Jillian Michaels DVDs! They’re short, but a good workout (which is typically what I want if I’m not feeling the gym.) If I have more time, and more energy, I’ll do the P90x ones, but I have to be feeling really hard core for those ;)

Ashley@piesandpushups January 13, 2011 at 11:26 am

I really like the P90x workout videos. The plyometrics workout is my favorite!

NAomi(onefitfoodie) January 13, 2011 at 11:34 am

I WANT THAT CLIP!!! i saw you wrote it was from macys! im on the hunt!!!

Jackie totally rocks, I have never done her dvd but i hear its great and I <3 her so I am sure it was great!!

i did the insanity DVDs for a while and while its a great intense workut, I do not recommened doing them everyday! its very taxing on the body and I would recommened 2 times a week!

Jess January 13, 2011 at 11:38 am

I love Jillian Michaels’ DVDs, and have been wanting to try one of Jackie’s for a while- thanks for the review!

Katie January 13, 2011 at 12:02 pm

I actually really like Jillian Michaels videos…the shred is my favorite. And when it’s too cold to venture out – you can find me working out in my living room, too!

I usually do ground turkey for tacos – but lately meat makes me gag, so I’ve been sticking with beans for some protein.

Caree @ Fit-Mama January 13, 2011 at 1:08 pm

I love the insanity workouts but also the brazil butt lift workout (specifically body scuplt and tummy tuck).

I love any meat in tacos…any mexican really!!

cbrady3 January 13, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I have the 30 Day Shred, but would LOVE to get a longer more challenging Total Body DVD to do when I can’t make it to the gym. Sometimes I feel like the 20 minute video just isn’t enough.

And fish or TOFU tacos for sure!

thedelicateplace January 13, 2011 at 1:13 pm

i like jillian michaels 30 day shred because it’s 20 mins and it makes me sore the next day. i use 5 lb weights for a little challenge (i have zero upper body strength). my fave tacos are filled, no…STUFFED with bison. <3

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather January 13, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Tacos always turn out great for a quick dinner. I’d have to go with beef but like a skirt steak sliced up thinly. So good!

P90X is a big winner for me, and insanity is fun to mix in. I need to look for that DVD at costco -such a steal!

Krista January 13, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Perfect timing on the review! I’ve been searching for a workout DVD.
Is this one “upper floor apartment” friendly? :-) In other words, people live below me so I can’t do workouts that consist of jumping jacks and other jumping moves. That’s my biggest issue when it comes to workout DVDs.

janetha January 13, 2011 at 7:58 pm

YES! definitely.

Colleen January 13, 2011 at 5:58 pm

OMG if I had your couch and mounted tv – I’d never leave the family room. Newish reader – love your blog :)

janetha January 13, 2011 at 7:59 pm

hahah thanks for commenting! yeah, i am actually on the couch now. penny in my lap. i never want to leave.

BroccoliHut January 13, 2011 at 6:25 pm

I own a set of DVDs by Self Magazine that I like for strength/cardio combos, plus I have DVDs for my fitness ball and foam roller that I like too.
Protein of choice for tacos? BLACK BEANS!

fightingwithfood January 13, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I stopped buying workout DVD’s because Exercise TV on demand has a bit of everything – cardio, strength, yoga, pilates. Love it! It doesn’t, however, have P90X and I’d love to try that.

I love the mantle cheese – my husband’s family is really into the Packers so I suppose I’m a ride-along fan. Gotta ask though.. what’s IN the fireplace? Looks like Santa didn’t quite make it to the next house.

janetha January 13, 2011 at 8:27 pm

hahahah! it is a bag of those cinnamon smelly pinecones :)

athoughtforfood January 13, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Great to come across your site! Thanks for the comment you left on my Chobani blog post (Greek Yogurt Creme Brulee).

For more recipes, feel free to check out my site, A Thought For Food:

chandra January 13, 2011 at 8:43 pm

I saw that and another Jackie dvd on special on Amazon recently and almost bought them, but I was nervous I wouldn’t like them. Now I might have to go give them a shot!

As for other dvds, I absolutely love my Turbo Jam dvds, but now that I’m certified for the gym version I do those practice dvds instead. :)

happyisthenewpretty January 14, 2011 at 10:43 am

I have the other two Jackie Warner DVDs as well, like some of the others who have commented. I really like those DVDS because the workouts can be segmented (upper body, lower body, etc.) usually in 15 or 20 minute segments. I am totally a segment person (that sounds weird) because it makes the workout much more flexible so I can do 15 minutes from one DVD and 15 minutes from another one, etc.

One of my favorite DVDs is The Ultimate Workout by Michelle Dozois.

I do the cardio blast workout (30 minutes) and love it because it sort of does the whole low-intensity to high-intensity thing. A great work out! I actually got mine at a used bookstore for like $4. I definitely suggest going to used bookstores that sell DVDs and checking out the exercise DVDs. You can get some great deals!

I’ve been meaning to post all of my workout DVDs on my blog, so hopefully I’ll be able to do that soon and you can check out the other ones. =)

Susan January 16, 2011 at 7:23 pm

1. After I get a dog my new goal in life will be to own a corner couch. I’ve always wanted one.
2. I LOVE THAT SPOON CLIP!! I make such a mess all over my stove with my spoon.
3. When I was a vegetarian I used to put spicy scrambled eggs in tacos. It was really good!