stocked up.

by Janetha on January 9, 2011

in meals

hey guys!

glad you all enjoyed the random post earlier today. i feel pretty good now that all my camera cards are clean. what’s even better is that my toilets and kitchen are clean now, too.

after tidying up the house, i decided to escape the shouting of the football fans and hightailed it to costco and target. two of my very favorites. i really needed to get some grocery shopping done. last night there wasn’t an ounce of protein in the house and we ate a mishmash of vegetables over pasta and some balsamic mashed sweet potatoes. yes, it was a good dinner, but not a lick of protein.

i had a list and was on a mission. i hit costco first and then target. i LOVE doing my shopping on sunday because, with utah being super populated with mormons who don’t shop on sunday, all the stores are empty. i didn’t even have to wait in line at either store!

two hours later i came home a whole lot poorer.. but with a TON of stuff.

yowza. and that is just the food part of what i purchased.

because i know i like seeing what people buy at the store, i decided to show you guys what i stocked up on.

i typically go to costco twice or three times a month and then to the regular grocery store a couple or few times a week. if i am diligent, i will meal plan and then only have to go to the regular store once a week. i have been a BAD meal planner lately and have gone to the store almost every single day. i got fed up with that today and so i made a meal plan for the week along with a list of other groceries we needed.

let’s break it down!

canned.

• rotel
  • corn
  • enchilada sauce
  • diced green chiles
  • lots of diced tomatoes & tomato sauce

grains.

• whole wheat english muffins
  • whole wheat bread
  • low carb high fiber tortillas
  • whole grain spaghetti
  • fiber wasa crackers
  • two kinds of cereal
  • two boxes of annie’s mac
  • brown rice (me) and white rice (marshall)
  • white bread (marshall)

protein.

• chobani greek yogurt
  • cooked chicken strips
  • low sodium herbed turkey breast lunch meat
  • albacore tuna pouches
  • pink salmon pouches
  • raw chicken breasts
  • raw chicken tenders
  • lean ground beef
  • lean beef chunks (for stew)
  • cottage cheese
  • two cartons of eggs
  • muscle milk ligh (chocolate—on sale now at costco!)
  • string cheese
  • morning star crumbles (faux meat)

produce.

• corriander
  • freeze dried oregano
  • taco seasoning
  • stew seasoning
  • feta cheese
  • laughing cow cheese
  • peanut butter (crunchy and smooth)

WHEW. i also bought a bunch of other random stuff like vitamin water (for marshall), toilet paper, a mirror, wall hooks, light bulbs, a few different household cleaners, socks, cotton balls and a jackie warner workout DVD.

for the most part, marshall and i eat the same things. there are only a few things i buy for JUST him and JUST me.. like the white and wheat bread, the white and brown rice, etc. (kinda like his and hers, right katie?)

i usually don’t go so crazy at the stores, but now i have everything i need for all meals for the next couple weeks. i will probably have to pick up some fresh protein, but other than that, i am pretty set!

here is the dinner plan for this week:

• sunday: stuffed chicken & roasted squash & salad
  • monday: chicken enchiladas
  • tuesday: out for kristen’s birthday!
  • wednesday: crock pot vegetable beef stew
  • thursday: taco soup
  • friday: pasta with tofu
  • saturday: paninis & soup & salad

of course, that may change a bit, but at least i have options! lunches will be a breeze, too. i have been eating out for lunch a lot lately just because i haven’t been prepared. now that i am stocked up with things like tuna, turkey, chicken, string cheese and fruit, putting together lunch will be a snap.

after putting all the groceries away i immediately got to work on dinner—stuffed chicken, roasted butternut squash & sweet potatoes and green salad.

first, the chicken!

i love this brand of chicken, it is at target. i do eat chicken but i like it to be happy, non hormonal chicken.

first, butterfly the breasts.

next, smear a layer of hummus and a spoonful of feta on the inside of each breast. top with a sprinkling of salt and black pepper.

secure the chicken breasts closed with toothpicks.

season the outside of each breast with salt and black pepper. next, coat the chicken first in an egg wash and then in a layer of whole wheat panko bread crumbs.

place the breasts in an oven safe dish.

bake at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes, or until chicken is cooked thoroughly.

stuffed chicken is one of my favorite dinners! there are so many different ways you can stuff the breasts. (TWHS?)

hummus and feta is an all time favorite filler.

for the roasted butternut squash and sweet potatoes, i seasoned them with salt, pepper and TJ’s 21 seasoning salute. they roasted at 450 degrees for about 30 minutes. i purchased the pre-chopped butternut squash from costco because i thought it would be convenient.. well, sure, it was. but it was gross. the squash was really mushy and flavorless.. i will not be buying the pre-chopped squash again. i guess the extra effort of peeling and chopping the squash is worth it in the end.IMG_5669

while the squash was bland, there is nothing a little ketchup can’t help!

the salad is pretty self explanatory.. it had spring greens, cucumber, red bell pepper, carrots and celery.

oh, i never mentioned this, but i really failed on the 20 salads in december challenge! i made it to 14 salads. not bad, but not good. i am working on my salad consumption all the time.

this dinner was great! stuffed chicken never lets me down.

hope you are all ready for another work week! i know i am, after such a lazy weekend.

oh, and since you all loved the photos of the pups from my last post.. i leave you with penny’s latest.

1. how often do you grocery shop?

2. who do you shop for? if it is for more than just yourself, do you each eat differently or all the same?

thedelicateplace January 10, 2011 at 11:33 am

i grocery shop 1x a week for nate and i. we always do it together :) we only buy enough food to last us 1 week! we shoot to buy all of our bf, lunch & dinners under $100 and we rarely go over that. we are bargain hunters and eat in season. also, we have a no packaged foods rule in our house (except for oatmeal)

Leena January 10, 2011 at 11:39 am

Ha! We eat so many of the same things. And I was so geeked to see the Muscle Milk Costco coupons. Stocking up on those this weekend!

1. I grocery shop way too often. There’s Costco, then the regular grocery store, plus Trader Joe’s & Whole Foods located conveniently by my office for all my at-work grocery needs. Foodie to the max.
2. My hubby and I shop together, and we mostly eat the same stuff. He eats some stuff I don’t — bagels, full-fat cheese and carby snackage — but for the most part, we eat the same thing. Luckily, the boy can cook, so if he wants something different, he’ll just make it for himself. Works out way better for me that way!

janetha January 10, 2011 at 1:39 pm

totally jealous of your access to a TJs!

Leena January 10, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Don’t be. it’s in Manhattan and is by far THE most crowded, most unruly TJs ever. Lines up the wazoo. But still worth it for the hummus, ya know?

emily (a nutritionist eats) January 10, 2011 at 11:40 am

I usually have one big trip per week and then sometimes a little trip for a few things. I shop for my fiance too and for the most part we eat the same things, but there are a few things that I get just for him: oj, skim milk, etc and some things just for me: coconut creamer, almond milk, etc. Thankfully we eat the same main meals!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 10, 2011 at 12:33 pm

I do one big trip, and maybe two smaller trips a week. At school it’s just me, but at home it’s for my parents as well- which just means that I buy larger quantities of everything I eat (and skim milk for them). Hey, if I’m cooking, I get to decide what to make :)

katecooks January 10, 2011 at 12:36 pm

i still haven’t made stuffed chicken breasts but they always sound so appealing to me. i love the idea of being able to have any flavor combo you’d like. for some reason, i am always intimidated by meat. but, you make it look pretty easy here! i’ll have to bite the bullet and make these one day :)

cbrady3 January 10, 2011 at 12:42 pm

WOW.
Even though I live with my parents, I grocery shop for myself. As a vegetarian and health foodie, I want different things than them! I also cook a fair amount more and organic produce is more important to me. It’s a hassel, but I love my food:)

The Healthy Hostess January 10, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Great shopping trip! I try and do one big trip but usually end up going out at least 2 more times a week. Since I cook for another family for dinner everyday, I feel like I always forget something! I also have separate lists for different stores.

melissadishes January 10, 2011 at 12:50 pm

I go once a week on Sundays, right after the gym (I get there when it opens). Unfortunately people shop like nuts everyday here, but in the AM on Sunday, if it’s before 11, it’s not too bad (i’m usually there at 9:30). I shop for just Dan and I.

I buy his and hers breads, rices, tortillas, milks, and sometimes pasta. Dan doesn’t like wheat bread, brown rice, or WW pasta (although if it’s casseroled or sauced, sometimes he can’t tell). I also buy him things like pretzels, graham crackers, olives, and nutella that I don’t eat. Plus there is a long list of things I eat that he won’t (mushrooms, hummus, etc).

I wish Costco was ever tolerable here. We have 2 in the whole Austin metroplex and the one up North closest to me is always insane. I went there super early on Saturday morning and waited 45 mins to pay for 1 item. It was too crowded to shop and I really had to have my medicine!

runrettarun January 10, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Awesome shopping trip! And thanks for the ideas :). We go to the store every 2 wks w/ a mini trip every week for fresh produce. We shop for 4 people: The Lover, the boys and myself. I try to do similar meals w/ simple variations since the dudes in my life eat differently than I do.

Eden January 10, 2011 at 2:13 pm

O man do I shop! I go to some form of food store at least once a day! With all fairness, I am a personal chef for a family 5 nights a week and I teach 2 cooking classes at elementary school so I guess you can say its just another day at work for me!
I hit up costco maybe once a month. I usually get canned tuna, cleaning supplies, spices, maybe some veggies (because I seriously can go through loads of veggies no problem!). I’ll go to ethnic markets maybe twice a week because they have CHEAP produce and cheap tahini and all that “ethnic” stuff. I’ll go to a regular grocery store maybe three times a week, and Trader Joes also about three times a week. Its weird, but certain places have things that are cheaper and places dont always carry everything I need.

Whoa I wrote a lot!

Anyhow, I always try to go to the store late at night of in the mid morning. those are the less “rush-hour” times so the check out lines are short. Costco can be a nightmare on weekends, so I try to tackle that on weekdays. The downside to that is not as many samples :(

Teri [a foodie stays fit] January 10, 2011 at 2:43 pm

so jealous of your empty costco on sunday. hehehehe.

we do 95% of the shopping on Saturdays or Sunday and then pick up things midweek that we run out of, like produce and milk.

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather January 10, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I love grocery shopping, but since we’re focusing on our food budget I don’t get to really go crazy at the store anymore :( looks like a fun trip!

I shop for me and the hubs and only get a few varying things for each of us… Different breads, cheese for him, nuts, dried fruits and dark chocolate for me. The usual.

Dinner looks amazing by the way!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) January 10, 2011 at 4:25 pm

omg I grocery shop WAY too much I think my problem is that I go so much but don’t buy an insane amount of food everytime so I end up with multiple trps that could have been one…but I do it on purpose bc throughhout the week if I am craving something that I didn’t buy I will just gladly stop by the market and get it! its close to my house so no biggie!

My andmy BF eat different with certain foods too! brown rice for me, white for him and he LOVES pumpernickle and rye bread, which I really don’t care for!

dinner=amazing I want to cook with you!

Nicole C January 10, 2011 at 4:39 pm

1 – I shop far more often than I like. I am really surprised the ladies that run the Smiths by me don’t know my name. It’s about a skip away from my house too so it’s gets pricey. Have you ever seen that show about the crazy coupon people?? Saw one guy with a $5,000 tab and paid like $150 if that..i wish!

2- I try to shop by the week for meals, not enough room to buy in bulk plus it’s only us 2 and it will just go bad if we don’t get to it. One of my bucket list items is to find recipes and cook more. Ben is like the twin to Buddy the Elf, his sugar consumption is sickening. So, we don’t eat alike but he will eat whatever i make for dinner.

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) January 10, 2011 at 5:23 pm

yum. Everytime you make stuffed chicken breasts, it looks so good! I need to get over my raw chicken phobia and try it.

I really wish our Costco carried Chobani. So jealous! I’ve requested for them to do it but no go so far.

LOVE Penny pics.

We shop fairly often. 2-3x a week because I don’t meal plan. However I am trying to meal plan this week. We’ll see how it goes.

Carrie January 10, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Thanks for posting all your shopping finds! I love seeing what people buy. :) I’m jealous of your uncrowded Sunday shopping, but don’t know if I could handle all the snoooooow! It’s supposed to snow tomorrow here in NYC, and I’m not looking forward to it – this city is just a crappy place to be in bad weather!

BroccoliHut January 10, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Awesome haul! I recognize a lot of the same products I buy–we should be grocery shopping buddies:)
1. I shop for food once per week, sometimes twice if I forget something for a recipe.
2. I pretty much just shop for myself, but I’ll occasionally pick up some grapefruits or some cheese + crackers for Seth.

kaitlinwithhoney January 10, 2011 at 6:00 pm

I am wildly impressed with how much you buy at Costco and Target. That’s amazing. I’m also really jealous of all of that food! In other news, that chicken looks ah-mazing and I really need to copy you!

lynn @ the actor's diet January 10, 2011 at 7:58 pm

i have a lot of free time, so grocery shopping is something i do to pass it. i have tried CSA’s before, but that takes away part of my “job!”

amy January 10, 2011 at 8:02 pm

that chicken looks great! i actually stuffed some tonight with pepper jack cheese and garlic and it was surprisingly bland….I’ll try your recipe next time! thanks!

Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner January 10, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Just so you know, I tagged you in my post today ;)

kissmybroccoli January 11, 2011 at 7:09 am

Usually I will go to the store for fresh produce once a week and everything else every other week. I’m recently single, so I’m still trying to learn how to shop for just one. My cabinets are always super stuffed though…like to the point of, “No, don’t open that door!” *ker-plunk* and a jar of peanut butter falls on your head!

Love seeing all your foodie loot! And that stuffed chicken looks great! Why have I never thought to put hummus inside a chicken before??

elise January 11, 2011 at 1:07 pm

dude, im so impressed with that stash. clearly i need a house for storage purposes alone. we could never fit that amount of stuff in our fridge. youre so organized with your food plannign for the week. i love it. makes me want to peruse through my cookbooks and figure out something new and exciting to make.
kyle and i are the same with brown and white rice. although i usually go with quinoa. his and hers is more noticeable with the meat thing though. he buys one of those big roasted chickens and uses it in sammies, pasta dinners, salads, etc throughout the week.

Katie January 11, 2011 at 4:07 pm

that chicken looks so good! I am going to have to make this soon. :)

amy January 21, 2011 at 2:43 pm

oh man i gotta try that chicken!!! i am always looking for new, GOOD chicken recipes…it’s so boring sometimes! This looks awesome thanks!