clean up time.

by Janetha on January 9, 2011

in meals

you guys.

i got up this morning at 9:30, had a bowl of cereal and a piece of toast, made coffee, didn’t drink any, hopped into bed with penny & randy because i was cold…

and woke up at 1:00.

there go all my big productivity plans for the day!

i was going to clean up my house, but i am officially in lazy mode, so i am going to clean up my camera cards. that doesn’t require me to leave my bed and it is football nation in the other room, so i would rather not travel there.

i have about 7 different SD cards and there are various photos on each one that have yet to be blogged about. i saw allie do this the other day and it is just a great idea. enjoy!

*****************************************************

you know how marshall likes his casseroles. i saw one on joy’s blog awhile back and used it as inspiration for this one. it was amazing and will become a usual in my house.

you can check out the recipe page i made for it here. it is SUCH a tasty recipe!!

makes six BIG, delicious servings!

i can’t wait to make this again.

****************************************************

my nephew and sister in law are perfect.

IMG_5324IMG_5325

*****************************************************

a little while ago, my boss took me to his neighbor’s restaurant.

café chapin is a guatemalan restaurant located at 3053 south state street in SLC. i had never tried guatemalan cuisine so i was excited to give it a taste.

the café is really cute inside.

IMG_4321IMG_4325IMG_4313IMG_4314IMG_4317

there was a bit of a language barrier when we were trying to order, and the fact that there were no menus was a little strange, but i was happy with the dish i ended up with.

i got chicken in some sort of green sauce. sorry that i can’t provide a better description, that’s all i really knew when i ordered.

the chicken came with every carb imaginable! black beans, cilantro lime rice, a potato (also covered in the green sauce) and fresh, hand made tortillas.

the chicken was flavorful and tender.. i really liked it!

from what we gathered, the only thing that you could order aside from this chicken dish was a carne asada dish. my co-worker ordered the carne asada and it looked great. he said he really enjoyed it.

check out the sie of that green onion!

if you live here in utah and want to try guatemalan cuisine, give café chapin a visit.

*****************************************************

i made a batch of protein pancakes yesterday.

• 1/2 cup oats
  • 1/2 cup cottage cheese
  • 3 egg whites (a little yolk snuck in)
  • 2 TB vanilla protein powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder

i made them in a cast iron skillet that got WAY too hot, so they got a little burned and flattened out a bunch.

despite this minor mishap, they were still delicious.

*****************************************************

if i ever lay on the couch, this is bound to happen, and i am not allowed to move until something requires them to get off of me. (think someone at the door or a noise coming from the kitchen).  they always just climb on top of me and settle in. not complaining.

*****************************************************

i am going to turn into a clementine judging from the number of them i have eaten in the past 3 weeks.

*****************************************************

i CANNOT stop eating the oreo frozen custard.

*****************************************************

and finally, i take a lot of photos of my dogs.

IMG_5393IMG_5341IMG_5355IMG_5357IMG_5358IMG_5371

well, i have meal planning and grocery shopping to do. but first, i need to get out of bed.

see ya later!

1. what was the last thing you took a photo of?

2. what’s on the dinner menu for you this week?

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) January 9, 2011 at 2:32 pm

So glad my random post inspired you. But most of all, I’m so glad it got some cute pup photos out of your camera. Sometimes you just have to embrace the randomness :).

simplyshaka January 9, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Sundays are my day to run errands and do a bunch of stuff but feel like I’ve done absolutely nothing today and I’m kinda enjoying it. So much that I am tired from doing nothing and want to take a nap now.

I’ve never had Guatamalean food before but figure I love South American food so it can’t be bad right? A little odd that the place didn’t have menus though…..hmmmm.

Lauren January 9, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Sounds like your body needed some rest. That’s okay, there is always next Sunday for chores. That Oreo custard sounds amazing. Where does one find this?

edenseats January 9, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I’m dog sitting and as you know, a dog in the house will hog up the camera! I’ll post some pics of her (the dog) on my new post! I swear, all my camera memory has is a little food, and tons of doggie photos!

I usually work at my private chef job at “dinner” time, so its usually the same every weeknight. Some sort of salad I throw together with beans or a sweet potato. And ice cream for dessert! homemade though! I cant have a carton in the house or it will be gone in a flash!

Holly at Greek Yogurt and Apple Slices January 9, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I love all the pictures of your pups :D They are so cute. Randy always makes me smile, I swear it’s his eyes. They just look so sweet.
Thanks for putting the link to Joy’s blog- I love it! Finding all sorts of good recipes to try out :)

Tw January 9, 2011 at 2:40 pm

CUTE…I NEED TO GET DOWNSTAIRS TO MAKE YAMCAKES AND MEATLOAF MUFFINS FROM BFLIFE CHALLENGE. STILL MORE BOXES TO UNPACK…SICK, SICK, SICK OF BOXES ****** LAST PHOTO? SOMETHING MY DAUGHTER PAINTED OR MADE W/LEGOS?

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 9, 2011 at 2:43 pm

This sounds awesome “i CANNOT stop eating the oreo frozen custard.”—yum!

The last thing i took a pic of was an hour ago…skylar all bundled up in her winter coat. For the 60f “winter day” here in SD. haha

I love that you cleaned off your mem sticks….fun post to see what’s been going on in your world, from 7 diff perspectives :)

Allison @ Food For Healing January 9, 2011 at 2:43 pm

that last pictures i took were a few of my kitties, i seem to take a lot of pictures of them, they are just too darn cute!

as for my meals this week, I am slowly working on my plan right now while i attempt to study but keep gettin distracted.

Matt @ The Kitchen of a Runner January 9, 2011 at 2:49 pm

The last photo I took was of my avocado hummus… Mmm….

Sweet Cheeks January 9, 2011 at 3:20 pm

I hope you never stop taking tons of puppy pics because those are my favorite. :) Good luck with the productivity. I got out of bed this morning to go to church, but that was pretty much where my productivity stopped. Lounging around in bed and watching Jersey Shore has been my afternoon so far…and I’m not complaining.

1970kikiproject January 9, 2011 at 3:29 pm

the last picture i took was just 30 seconds ago – of my tv screen…long story!
no meal plans for the week – we fly day-to-day around here!
enjoy the rest of your sunday, janetha! yup, the football watching must be getting intense as Super Bowl Sunday edges ever closer!

MelissaNibbles January 9, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I would give my eyeballs to be able to sleep until 1! That green sauce looks interesting…heehee!

lindsay January 9, 2011 at 3:30 pm

dogs somehow know how to pose for us, right? I hope you are enjoying that snuggle time. Last photo I took was of my niece yesterday. Too stinkin cute. I’m off to go make a big batch of jamaican chili.
Cheers!

Erica January 9, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Sounds like SUCH a lovely day. Relaxing with the pup (or puppers in your case) is the absolute best. I saw that casserole on Joy’s blog…looks awesome. Last thing I took a picture of: my fruit at breakfast. On the menu: Biscuit casserole, crab soup, chicken & veggie parm and breakfast for dinner!

thedelicateplace January 9, 2011 at 4:09 pm

gosh the pups are so cute! esp that photo with them plopped on your lab. i used to have a cocker spaniel who did that, rest in peace maxi-million! on the menu this week cod+coconut oil, ginger roasted fennel+sweet potatoes. and probably lots of pork since we have ohhhh about 4lbs to eat in 2wks. dinner party anyone? ha

kristastes January 9, 2011 at 4:14 pm

If it makes you feel any better, I slept til 12! I am on a clementine kick, too :) I prefer them over any other citrus fruit!

Erika January 9, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I found Joy’s blog a while back and now I’m hooked! I love her sense of humor and her food is fantastic!

Carbzilla January 9, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Tell Marshall I’m rooting for the Packers b/c I really really want Vick out! It’s close at the moment. He may need you to go hold his hand.

Rose January 9, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Your dogs are SO cute.

I took pictures from a run I did this morning, as well as breakfast afterward.

Dinner this week is looking to be awesome soup. Yum.

kissmybroccoli January 9, 2011 at 5:35 pm

I love your random post! Never had Guatemalan food before, but I seriously can’t get over the size of that green onion! It U-ge! Those pancakes look so golden and delicious…don’t look like they burned to me! Penny is quite the little pup-model, isn’t she? Looks like she’s almost posing for those shots!

Last picture I took was of a bottle of kombucha. This is my third time trying it and I think I actually like this flavor! It kinda grows on ya! I’m about to start doing some prep for the week’s meals…looks like it’s going to involve a lot of salads and roasted veggies! Yum!

Salah January 9, 2011 at 5:45 pm

I Love frozen custard….dare I say more than ice cream, fro-yo, sorbet, and everything else out there. I’m so glad there isn’t a frozen custard place anywhere close to me lol

lynn @ the actor's diet January 9, 2011 at 5:47 pm

casseroles + dogs AHHHH love this post.
i just made some energy bars from scratch and am quite proud of myself; that’s the last thing i snapped a photo of!

julie January 9, 2011 at 5:52 pm

what do you mean you didn’t want to be involved in football nation! you’re silly girl ;) invite me over next time!

coffeeandthepaper January 9, 2011 at 6:12 pm

You made coffee and didn’t drink any?! What?!

Well I guess then you wouldn’t have been able to go back to bed…teehee!

I like the random photos. Life is random. That’s the beauty in it.

Denise January 9, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Anything and everlything I could i8n Breckenridge, CO!!!!

jqlee January 9, 2011 at 6:18 pm

im making shrimp jambalaya right now. hope it turns out good, i’m eyeballing everything, no recipe. lol.

the best days are waking up, eating and going back to bed. that’s what sundays are for. you have all week to be productive :) i’ve put off laundry for 1.5 weeks now. im JUST starting it on sunday night. lol.

runningaroundnormal January 9, 2011 at 6:25 pm

This *is* a clever post!! That Allie is a smart one :)
And I could look at pictures of Penny all day long. Just sayin’.

Heather (Where's the Beach) January 9, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Not much beats photos of the furbabies. I think my last picture was of dinner tonight, but before that it was Heath Man in the snow ;-)

mary (what's cookin' with mary) January 9, 2011 at 6:28 pm

The last thing I took a picture of was my Mexican chicken soup I posted the other day. I almost took a picture of my cat sleeping a few hours ago, but she woke up and moved ;P

This week is the first week in AGES that I menu planned ?! I used to do it every week, but neededf a break HA! I even planned the lunches … who am i ??

monday: turkey, artichoke pasta bake with cab sauce and garden salad
tuesday: ham ‘n potato casserole and oven roasted green beans
wednesday: baked asian style tofu, oven roasted broc and quinoa
thursday: whole foods hot bar
friday: leftovers

Cilla January 9, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Your doggies are adorable. And I’m totally going to make that chicken casserole; my boys love chicken and rice, so it will go down very well.

Tonight’s dins is going to be Thai coconut and mixed seafood curry with basmati. Last picture was of my lunch salad.

Katie January 9, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Random Photo Post = Love!

Love that you did that, it makes you remember stuff you did , like oh yeah I took all those cute dog pics! Love them! Glad you did this random photo post, its a great idea!

Im actually on a mission tomorrow for a new camera , Im thnking canon rebel but not sure what model, but Im excited so my pics turn out super fly like yours and so many other bloggers, I love taking pics, and cant wait to love taking them more!

Love ya! xoxoxoxo

p.s. your comment was super sweet! Thank you!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 9, 2011 at 7:21 pm

It’s impossible not to OD on clementines because they always sell them in those huge wooden crate things!! Last thing I took a picture of was the books I’m reading. I tend to put the camera away after my evening post :)

inmytummy January 9, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Probably my dog. I take way too many pictures of him. He’s just very cute.

a taste of health with balance January 9, 2011 at 7:30 pm

never made pancakes on my cast iron! really should try it though.. last thing i captured were birds in the snow :)

Lo January 9, 2011 at 7:37 pm

omg J! so i think that you need to package me up banana bread, oreo custard and those clementines because i am now craving all of it! I love your “things I see” tumblr blog so much too! I wish I could follow it, but I see no link for it :( sadness! anywoo, just wanted to drop in and say I caught up reading, and don’t worry, I ate a HUGE burger on saturday and well thank god I don’t write healthy living blog lol. I think you are doing a fine job even if you can’t make it the gym or cook sups healthy. You are my fav blogger!

wow that comment was a wreck of writing. hahaha

xoxo
lo

Anna January 9, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Chapin is my last name! Weird. And I’m definitely not Guatemalan. Hah.

bo January 9, 2011 at 8:38 pm

looks like green chicken mole. :) yum.

BroccoliHut January 9, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Last photo=yogurt with pom seeds that ended up being too ugly to reach the blog.
Dinner menu this week includes some roasted beets:)

purplebirdblog January 9, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Random photo posts really are some of the best.

Freckled Foodie January 10, 2011 at 8:32 am

too weird! i made your protein pancakes for breakfast sat. too!

xo.

Sarah January 10, 2011 at 10:47 am

was your husband pumped about the packers victory!?! my fiance and i watched the game and we were SO EXCITED that they won! :)

elise January 11, 2011 at 1:09 pm

i need to purge my freakin photos like no other. i have 700 bowls of cereal, nuts, whatnot that i omit because they arent pretty. so lame.

Karla January 12, 2011 at 8:44 am

I was just catching up on your blog and saw this post! My family is Guatemalan! Super exciting to see a Guatemalan restaurant on a blog! Looks like you had Pollo en Jocon. It’s basically chicken in a cilantro-tomatillo sauce. My mom used to make it when I was growing up. Definitely delicious!

janetha January 12, 2011 at 11:27 am

YES! that is what it was called!!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) January 13, 2011 at 9:51 pm

OMG there is so much sleepage going on there, it makes my cats look like marathon runners!

Last thing I took a photo of ? BIG SURPRISE: the kitties :-)

PS I want to go shopping on sundays with yoU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!