not quite like philly.

by Janetha on January 2, 2011

in meals

today was soooo productive! i am pretty dang proud of myself—the two spare rooms are all the way unpacked. finally. after living here for five months… what?

as soon as we get the rooms furnished and decorated, i will show you what we’ve done with the place. i still owe you before and after renovation photos for the bathrooms and living room.. don’t worry, i haven’t forgotten. they just aren’t quite ready yet.

as you football fans may know, the packers played today. it was sure apparent around this house.

to the left of randy’s rump: a packers beanie.

to the right of penny’s rump: a packers hoodie.

on marshall’s bottom half: packers sweats.

on marshall’s head: a big ol’ piece of packers cheese.

what the crap is a packer, anyway?

marshall gets very into green bay games. i mean, just look at his game face!

what’s even better is his victory face.. right when they won which shoved them into the playoffs, or so i am told.

that shot made it for my photo of the day over on things i see Smile

after the game, we headed to philadelphia to my parents’ house for philly cheesesteak sandwiches.

steak~

shrooms~

peppers & onions~

cheese~

my brother was the grill master!

he grilled up some chicken for me and my sister in law so we could make chicken phillies.

and momma b was his sidekick on the assembly line. IMG_5314

they make a couple of great short order cooks!

i know that your typical phillies use cheese whiz or american cheese (and i only know  that from watching throwdown with bobby flay, so i could be wrong), but there is a spot in SLC called joni’s deli with the BEST cheesesteak sandwiches and this is how they do them.

i piled mine with peppers, onions, mushrooms, chicken and provolone. there was also mayo hiding under there.  now, i am not claiming to know authenticity when it comes to cheesesteak sandwiches, but these were dang good.

sides were a big green salad and delicious roasted red potatoes.

not quite philly, but i’ll take it!

great dinner. thanks, mom!

no family dinner would be complete without a couple shots of these two handsome fellas—my two new nephews, greyson and ben.

IMG_5312IMG_5327

they didn’t have phillies. they don’t have teeth.

we came home and watched shutter island. yikes. crazy flick! i really liked it.. it almost makes me want to read the book. almost. i will have to add it to the ever growing list of books i want to read but never make time for. Smile

guess what? i don’t have to go back to work tomorrow! because i worked on new years eve, i have tomorrow off. i plan to hit the slopes.. cannot WAIT.

be back tomorrow night—enjoy your mondays!

1. have you ever been to philadelphia and had a real philly? one day i will get there!

2. are you a football fan? i am, by no means, a football fan.

runningaroundnormal January 3, 2011 at 2:28 pm

No phillies for the babies? Missin’ out!! ;)
I had the opposite reaction as Marshall to yesterday’s game :(

biz319 January 3, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I like your version better, although without onions and mushrooms! :D Not a fan of football, but my hubs is like yours. I pretty much knew it was a football weekend when on Saturday morning my husband looked at me and my daughter and said “so what are you guys doing this weekend?!”

We thrift shopped which is our favorite thing! :D

julie January 3, 2011 at 3:04 pm

you know my feelings on football. i’m also blaming marshmellow for deej’s upsetness. green bay won = giants out of playoffs.

Laura (starloz) January 3, 2011 at 3:11 pm

football is not a game i understand.

Vanessa January 3, 2011 at 3:56 pm

I am a Virginia Tech Hokie Fan! I like Tim Tebow as well. He is an awesome guy!!!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) January 3, 2011 at 4:52 pm

NEVER been to philly for a real philly cheesesteak but DANG yours look delicious enough to be in philly for sure!!!!

haha that pic of marshall with the pups is ADORABLE!

Pure2raw twins January 3, 2011 at 6:18 pm

cutie pies!!!

I prefer college football over pro. I do not really like to watch it on TV, but if I am with a group of friends I enjoy watching it.

I know shutter island is crazy!!!

JessieBee January 3, 2011 at 6:58 pm

I’ve lived outside of Philly for a few years now, and I’ll be honest with you… Not a huge fan of the cheesesteak! The grease from the thing was dripping down my arms. Grosssss! Yours looks much better :-) philly has tons of great restaurants to try, so if you find yourself out this way, skip the cheesesteak and hit up Village Whiskey. Also, I am a football fan… Pats… Don’t hate!

janetha January 3, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Haha I don’t even know who the pats are let alone have the ability to hate any fans of any team. I hate hate hate football!

simplyshaka January 3, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Wow, he looks super happy. I love how Randy and Penny are all nuzzled in and his reactions don’t seem to be bothering them at all.

I’ve been to Philly once. And I didn’t have a cheesesteak while there, I’m still pissed off about it.

BroccoliHut January 3, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Never been to Philly or had a cheesesteak–wonder if there’s a veg version out there?
Totally NOT a football fan, which is basically a sin for a girl from Alabama.

thefitacademic January 3, 2011 at 7:42 pm

those cheese steaks looks AMAZING! I’ve never been to Philly – maybe one day, but it’s by no means anywhere near the top of my “I’d love to travel to….” list. And, not so much with the football either. I don’t hate it, but I certainly don’t enjoy watching it – I guess I’m indifferent?

jen January 3, 2011 at 8:30 pm

blarg. f pat’s AND geno’s. cheesesteaks are death on an amoroso!

but yes, i am a philly girl. born and raised…in the actual full ‘o crime, crappy part of the city, not the fluffy burbs surrounding. :) now, tastykakes, that’s another story. looooove! peanut butter kany kakes http://www.tastykake.com/

kissmybroccoli January 3, 2011 at 8:43 pm

One day I will go and have an authentic philly. Until then, I’d be happy to take one of yours! ;)

Not a football fan, but I love Superbowl parties…always such good eats!

Erin W January 4, 2011 at 8:02 am

I want to go to Philly, just to have a philly! Yours look awesome! :-)

Nicole G January 4, 2011 at 8:21 am

Never been to Philly or had an authentic Philly Cheesesteak. But your sandwiches looked awesome! What do you guys season your chicken with? Do you use olive oil with it? Your chicken always looks so seasoned, crisp, and flavorful! I can never get mine like that! But your meal did inspire me to add Philly Cheesesteaks to our dinner list this month!

I am a football fan, but I don’t have a favorite team which my husband doesn’t understand. I just like watching the game. I will usually prefer one team to win over the other during a matchup but I don’t have a favorite team overall. My husband is a huge Kansas City Chiefs fan and we live in St. Louis where everyone here is a Ram’s fan. Oh well!

Holly January 4, 2011 at 8:41 am

your new blog is ADORABLE. i kind of love that idea. i might steal it. maybe. i’m not sure. i am sure i want to steal your nephews and keep them as my own.

Stacy January 4, 2011 at 10:20 am

I love football and unfortunately I was routing for the Bears in that game. It was terrible. The Bears and Packers will probably meet again in a couple weeks in Chicago.

The Phillies look tasty!

caronae January 4, 2011 at 11:18 am

I have never had a philly cheesesteak! But I have to admit, your version looks DELICIOUS. Seriously, I just ate breakfast but my mouth is already watering. I want one. Stat!

Jen January 4, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Oh balls! Loving those sandwiches and the indoor grill, fun!
Cute cute cute baby boys!! They almost make my uterus hurt ;)

Jen

rachel January 4, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Ah wow! Cheesesteak Hoagie!! I lived in Philly for a year and ate mostly wings and hoagies. Don’t get either over in the UK. Sucks.

Gail H. January 5, 2011 at 6:23 pm

I grew up in a small town not far from Philly, and am a true blue Eagles fan!! We have a steak place here in South FL that is right from Philly and makes great steak sandwiches!!